Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Texas race win report/Ask Me Anything [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great race! I don't have a question really but you've had 2 great races there in Texas I'm guessing in large part because it's kind of like "home town" race for you. How can you get that feeling in Kona?
I'll be cheering for you in October!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There really is no story. I flew out to a camp last minute where I planned to be for 10 days. On day 2 I set up a coffee meeting to talk about what the builds/progression would look like for the upcoming race season for the following morning. I showed up to coffee and was told that it would be best if I just went home because it wasn't going to work out between us. That was that. I don't really have any harsh feelings about it as that made it pretty clear that it wouldn't have worked from my end as well. Much rather find that out earlier than later. In order for a coach/athlete relationship to work, personalities need to mesh. Ours clearly wouldn't have, so nothing really lost...aside from the $$ I spent to go there...and I landed with a coach who is a much better fit for me!

Trucker hat??
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas race win report/Ask Me Anything [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, The Woodlands has been a "home away from home" for me for quite a while. I've trained a lot there and met some amazing people there. So I go there for the final prep for the race and everything is relaxed and nothing is "new." I've spent some time training in Kona in the past, and expect to do more in the future. Hopefully that helps with the "comfort" level leading into race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the TRS interview, the one part that really stood out me was you talking about your run training - 7:00/mile for your warmup, and when you're going slower than 6:20 (or something like that) it feels quite slow to you. So I'm curious about what kind of long runs you do. Are they just long and "slow" (6:20) or do you do something with more structured intervals etc. (for your longest runs)?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas race win report/Ask Me Anything [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really depends where I am at in the build. Early on, I'll do longer "slower" runs without much structure beyond "this must be slower than X:XX pace or XXX hr." As we get closer and closer to race day, the long runs get more and more structured around specific paces and intervals. I will say it is so much easier for me to get out the door for a "structured" long run, I just enjoy them so much...But I'm slowly starting to enjoy the long "slow" runs a bit as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
Hey Dev, thanks for the questions and kind words....and title changed.
  • Did you enjoy this bike course more or less than the old one?

I enjoyed this one 1000x more than last years! LOL. I think the 2015 course suited me a bit better overall and would have broken up the pack a little bit more and separated the field. This course was very fast this year, but it could have been completely miserable if the wind would have came up earlier. This course made the ride it more about tactics which was actually pretty fun for me at the time. Prepping a strategy for this course with the athletes in the field was definitely a challenge.
  • Where do you live and do you prep for the bike mainly on the trainer?

I live in Storm Lake, IA. I do pretty much all of my riding on the trainer from November through May (we got snow last week!) but looking forward to getting out for the summer training.
  • How many hours per week do you train for biggest and average week?

Average is probably around 22 hours between S/B/R. Biggest weeks was 34 at a training camp early on, but a lot of that was technique work on the bike.
  • How much swimming per week?

Swim 5-6 hours per week....maybe 15-25k yds. Whatever Coach Julie tells me to do :).
  • Do you train with any others or mainly solo?

Mainly solo. I did a 2 week Arizona camp in January, a 2 week kona camp in February. I'm planning a trip to Boulder in June and from there we'll see. But when I am home, I do all training solo.
  • Height, weight, body fat percent, age?

I turn 32 in a few weeks. I'm 5'10 and in the 150lb range...I honestly haven't stepped on a scale in 2017. I just don't care. As long as I am getting faster, I'll let my weight be wherever it wants to be. Last time I did a body comp test was summer of 2016 and I was 5% body fat.
  • What was your sports background before tri?

I wrestled until I dislocated my hip. I ran in High School and a little in college after my wrestling career came to an abrupt end.
  • How did you get into triathlon?

When I was 16, I had a mentor who challenged me to make a list of 50 goals for the next 10 years. One of those goals was to complete an IM...so I signed up for one IMCdA. I had to re-learn to swim, buy a bike ($600 ebay special and I ate Ramen for a month because of it!), and figure out how to put a training plan together. It was actually a good time to start being I was living alone while going to grad school so I had a decent amount of time to figure everything out. I planned on just doing one, marking it off my goal list and calling it good, but I ended up qualifying for Kona at CdA. After Kona, I was hooked on the sport.
  • When did you realize you have the genetics and drive to compete as a pro?

I earned my elite license and qualified for Kona in 2013 at IMTX, but didn't really plan on taking my pro card. I ended up with 3 flats that year in Kona and was frustrated that I wasn't able to see where my fitness was. Because of that, I decided that if I took my pro card I could race at Arizona. I was 18th in Arizona and was thrilled about it...I had a 30 minute PR and I wasn't last! It wasn't until IMTX in 2014 where I ran a 2:41 that I actually started to wonder what I could do in the sport.
  • What keeps you motivated daily, target race outcomes, or the daily process?

I love the process. I enjoy the preparation. I believe that for some reason I have been given a gift and have the responsibility to use it for the best of my ability. There have been times in my career when I've lost the focus on the process and raced for outcome, but I've found that I race much better and am a much happier human when I stick to the process. Obviously, I have outcomes and results that I want, and do set outcome goals...but the focus is on process.

Many thanks for sharing the detailed response to the zillion questions. It is pretty cool on the 16 year old "list" turning into a career and most importantly that the "process" makes you tick more than the outcomes. I THINK that to be good at any discipline in life, those who get to the ultimate outcomes are those that enjoy the day to day "grind" the most assuming that one has the requisite genetics on the physical side. But I also feel that the tolerance for repetition and monotony required to be awesome in any sport partial has some genetic DNA in the wiring. Having coached kids in 3 sports for 14ish years, I have literally seen that in action. I don't think the will to endure the process is "that easily trainable". The athlete, the pianist, the mathematician etc.....they need to thrive on that and extract a high from it. I THINK some are just wired better for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to swimming lessons until 1st grade, and played in the pool over the summers...that's about it. There wasn't much for competitive swimming anywhere near me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, congrats on an awesome race! BTW: I can attest that the front sucked, it came through when you were finishing lap 2 (and lapping me), so i ate that wind for 30 miles. The last time you won this race I at least made it to the run course before you finished, I don't even know if I accomplished that feat this year! On that note, I am curious about your opinion of the PR6. It's high on my list as I ride a QR now. What did you come from and why did you choose this bike? Obviously you are sponsored, but any brutally honest answers are appreciated.... every bike out there has pros and cons. Is there anything you wish it had? What is it that you love?

USAT LIIE Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [TheTort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PRsix has been a great bike for me. I like that they are an American company (out of Chattanooga TN). I like that they are at so many of the race expos at major races so I can have them look over my ride before the race. Their customer service is incredible (not just for me but the athletes who I coach who are on a QR agree). The PRsix itself is a great frame. I have my position dialed in and am very efficient on it. If you are interested, you can check out some of the aero testing I've done with it: http://www.matthansontri.com/...session-with-jimero/. There aren't many male pros who have found a lower drag. Been very happy with this bike. I rode a QR as an AG, then went to another frame for a year. The frame was good, but I struggled to get the stack/reach where I wanted it. There is a great deal of adjustability on both with the PRsix so you can be sure you will be comfortable. Hope this helps, shoot me a PM if you have any more questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, hardest question you will get:

NCAA Individual Champion in Wrestling or Kona Champion? & to make it tougher, you would have done the latter in a Hawkeye singlet coached by none other than Gable himself.

I want to see where your heart is really at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on putting together another ripper of a race Matt.

Thanks for going into the details of your setup. It really looks like you're checking all the boxes.

I guess the thing that surprised me most in the thread is your ability to drink 48 oz./hr. and perform at the level you do. I would have guessed less, but I'm not a long course athlete so I know very little about sweat rate and things.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hawkeye singlet...who would want to be an ugly bird with a bowl cut??? So this one is simple! KONA! #GoGophers
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas race win report/Ask Me Anything [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, 48 oz/hr is a lot, but that is what I need to do to get in the number of calories that I need and maintain optimal osmolity for absorption while riding. Much easier when it is hotter than cooler, but thankfully I didn't have any issues with bloating or any discomfort. The bike nutrition plan is what fuels the run...you can't just get through the bike, you have to get off the bike with plenty of fuel left in the tank.

On a side note, typically after the 4 hour mark, I start to back off the fluids to let my stomach settle a bit so I am not sloshing around so much on the run. Usually that gives me 25-30 min...this time it only gave me 13 :).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alternative question, is Eggum the right guy to lead the Gophers going forward?

-A fellow MN wrestler turned triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I think so. Street cred as a MN alum, solid education, has worked his way up the ranks as both a S/C coach and matside coach. Plus (and perhaps most important for a coach) is he has alumni support being one himself. I think he'll get them back on track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt, congrats on an impressive win! I'll be first year faculty in September, and wondering how you handled training and faculty life. At this point I haven't scheduled any tris after September since I have no idea what kind of time I will have (currently a Postdoc, and that has been reasonably flexible).

Also great to hear of a former wrestler having success in the tri world, gives me hope!
Last edited by: JDinMA: Apr 27, 17 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you are correct.

Do you still follow wrestling at all? College or high school?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, college wrestling. Not so much high school anymore since I moved to IA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Congrats on the great win and good luck with the rest of your season. I'll be cheering for you come October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt, amazing win! Which bottle holder are you using behind your saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was pretty funny, you passed me while I was on my first lap and still running ok, and you were on your second lap. The crowd was very helpful in giving me splits "go go go! Hanson is only 2 minutes 3 seconds ahead!"

yeah more like 1 hour 2 mins and 3 seconds...

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on another impressive win! Can't believe you've won that race twice since we shared an AG podium there in 2013. I've only gone backwards since, lol.

Maybe I'll see you around Boulder when you get here. If you have time, hit me up and happy hour beer is on me to celebrate!

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
Yup, college wrestling. Not so much high school anymore since I moved to IA.

You should make a trip to The Dodge next winter. They will have quite a good team next year with Teske being one of the best kids at his weight in the nation.

I appreciate your honest response & understand that decades of utter dominance creates a very polarized fanbase! We need your Goofers to be good for wrestling to be strong, so I wish them well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I actually do follow dirty dodge! My wife is from there and has cousins on the team. Also, my former college assistant coach is involved with their program a bit as well. Definitely a solid team. We are only about an hour away...might have to make a trip over for a dual next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next