Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Texas race win report/Ask Me Anything
Quote | Reply
Hey all, a bit late to the party, but thought I'd throw this up here if anyone is interested. Happy to answer any questions you may have about the day.

http://www.matthansontri.com/2017/04/25/2017-imtx-race-report-north-american-champ/

Last edited by: matthansontri: Apr 26, 17 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [matthansontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt,

Congrats! Would love to hear about your nutrition/ hydration strategy during the race.

Enjoy the rest of your season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge Congrats!

matthansontri wrote:
Hey all, a bit late to the party, but thought I'd throw this up here if anyone is interested. Happy to answer any questions you may have about the day.

http://www.matthansontri.com/2017/04/25/2017-imtx-race-report-north-american-champ/

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report and great race!! Curious what your planned power was ;)
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,
What was the groupthink when Starykowicz went out like that on the bike? Was the assumption he just didn't have the fitness coming back from all he has gone through to be able to run after a kamikaze ride like that?

Congrats!

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not really sure what everyone else thought. My suspicion was he was going to go off the front on the bike like he always does. I won't let that change my race plan. If he holds on throughout the run, I'll just tip my hat to him on a great day. He did the exact same thing last year at IMTX. You have to use the cards that you are given the best you can. Chasing someone down as strong as Andrew down on the bike definitely would not be a wise choice on my part.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I use First Endurance EFSpro on the bike. I aim for 500 calories per hour. To get this in on the bike, I have "sludge" bottles and mix them in my BTA bottle to make sure I am getting appropriate osmolity. I'll average taking in about 48 ounces of fluid per hour.

On the run, I use First Endurance Liquid Shot. I sip on the first flask through special needs, then grab a second flask there for the last half of the run. I also take in cola/red bull in the aid stations based on how I am feeling and what I think I need at that point in time.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.80 IF :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing! I enjoy your podcast interviews and was glad to see you have such a strong day.

Did you prepare for the heat differently or adjust your race plan to avoid another "nap"? Sounds like this year wasn't as hot as last.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Thanks for sharing! I enjoy your podcast interviews and was glad to see you have such a strong day.

Did you prepare for the heat differently or adjust your race plan to avoid another "nap"? Sounds like this year wasn't as hot as last.

By the time Matt finished it was about 65 degrees.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't really do anything differently as far as heat prep. Last year, I had virtually no points coming into the race so I had to have a great result. I pushed hard out of the gates on the run and never backed off the gas. This year I built in to the first 5 miles, then held fairly steady. It was also much better weather conditions this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:

Can you talk a little bit about your choice of trisuit. What is it and why the change? Did you go back to ERO and test it? I know previously that the sleevesuits were not testing fast. Did you swim with it up? If so was it zippered? What is that rear bottle cage you have there and is it tough to get in and out being so low and tucked in there? Lastly, given you have an auto entry KQ, how does this affect the rest of your racing before Kona?

You have come a long way since 2013, congrats on another win!!! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of stretches did u do in T2 and what back stretch did you do early on the run. Seconds per stretch if you would as well. Great Job, glad another upper midwesterner is doing well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Thomas-

Can you talk a little bit about your choice of trisuit. What is it and why the change? Did you go back to ERO and test it? I know previously that the sleevesuits were not testing fast.

Sure thing. I am using BSG apparel for my kit this year. Absolutely love the suit. I have a sleeved and a sleveless model. I will use the sleeves for fulls, and make a decision on the day for 70.3s. I haven't tested the new suit (yet), but the fit on me is better than the previous suits that I have tested. Chris has done a great job with the design and is continuing to make improvements.

Did you swim with it up? If so was it zippered?
Yes, I swam with the suit up and zipped. I never thought about it once during the swim.

What is that rear bottle cage you have there and is it tough to get in and out being so low and tucked in there?
I have a xlab gorilla cage mounted with a specialized reserve rack mounted upside down. It isn't the most convenient to get in and out, but I only take the bottle out three times. I empty 1/2 the bottle into my BTA 2x then pitch the bottle. I grab another bottle at SN and add 1/2 right away, then add the other half later on. The aero benefits are very much worth it!

Lastly, given you have an auto entry KQ, how does this affect the rest of your racing before Kona?
Honestly, I don't know. I'm taking a week to just decompress a little. Then I'll talk with Coach Julie about everything and make a plan. Likely a few 70.3s over the summer...maybe even an Olympic or two.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't count out for any of the stretches, I just held for a few quick seconds. Stretched hamstrings and hip flexors (both can be the cause of LBP). Also brought knee to opposite shoulder a few times. Helped everything relax enough to get moving again, and as I slowly got to my normal stride the back pain went completely away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That no fun lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:

Congrats on the win!!! Can you talk a bit about your progress on your swim??? Was there any one thing that really helped more than anything else??? Also, I didn't know that you were a college prof before turning pro; what and where did you teach before becoming a full-time pro??? Thanks for taking the time to respond to all our questions!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race. Best of luck at Kona.

I tried your breakfast regimen a few times last year (long training days / 70.3 races). I could train / race fine on it but like clockwork by 5 PM my body no longer wanted anything to do with it. Finally had to go another route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet nice ride! Great speed on that power also. Hope you have a great race in kona an đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Matt - looks like you are racing without HRM... In the past it looks like you do race with one....Is this a case by case use basis or have you changed the strategy around HR during race? Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massive congrats Matt! What a statement to make after a rocky 2016. Would love to hear more about how it is to be coached by Julie Dibens and what you consider have been the biggest takeaways since you made the move. Also, will you be racing 70.3 worlds?

Many congrats Matt! Big fan and all the best for the remainder of 2017.

Cheers!

Alfredo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matthansontri wrote:
I am not really sure what everyone else thought. My suspicion was he was going to go off the front on the bike like he always does. I won't let that change my race plan. If he holds on throughout the run, I'll just tip my hat to him on a great day. He did the exact same thing last year at IMTX. You have to use the cards that you are given the best you can. Chasing someone down as strong as Andrew down on the bike definitely would not be a wise choice on my part.

• Did you enjoy this bike course more or less than the old one?
  • Where do you live and do you prep for the bike mainly on the trainer?
  • How many hours per week do you train for biggest and average week?
  • How much swimming per week?
  • Do you train with any others or mainly solo?
  • Height, weight, body fat percent, age?
  • What was your sports background before tri?
  • How did you get into triathlon?
  • When did you realize you have the genetics and drive to compete as a pro?
  • What keeps you motivated daily, target race outcomes, or the daily process?

Thanks for coming on here. If you would do this, change your thread title to IM Texas race win report/Ask Me Anything. We have a history of race winners coming on here and offering "Ask Me Anything Threads". Not everyone is "allowed" by the masses around here to post "Ask Me Anything". That seems to be reserved for overall race wins. I believe Jordan first posted about that as a bit of a visibility/community service/pro access thing. This is more than any old IM Texas Race Report. You're being too humble, especially after "coming back" from last year's less favourable outcome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No questions, just wanted to say CONGRATS and thank you for posting on here and doing the Q&A. I love these threads. Best of luck at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas Race Report [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is the swim that I finally executed at the swim start. I've been guilty of going out way too hard then getting swam over the top of around the 300 meter mark a number of times. I've also not gone out strong enough and ended up having to surge to make the second pack. There is definitely a learning curve. In 2014, I don't think I made a 2nd pack. At most of the races I did last year, I led out the second pack...here I fell off the back of the front pack, so it is definitely progress.

I've been working on my swim quite a bit. It has been my biggest vulnerability since I became a pro. My first few years working with Tim Floyd, we worked on developing top end speed and neuromuscular control. Now that I am working with Julie, we have continued to polish the first few areas, made a few small technique changes, and added a few longer sessions each week. Also, being able to swim with people much better than me for a few focused camps each year has definitely helped as well. We have also figured out that I don't swim well when smashed...so I try to make every quality swim session the first session of the day and Julie has done a great job managing my fatigue to allow me to make improvements in the pool while staying injury free. This was a breakout swim for me for sure, but by no means am I satisfied to the point where it will not continue to be a focus moving forward.

I was a professor of exercise science at Buena Vista University in Storm Lake, Iowa. I started the human performance program there and was in charge of it until after I won IMTX in 2015. I gave my speech the day after the race, then left immediately and drove 17 hours back home. I arrived around 7:30 a.m., showered at the school and went straight in to teach 8:00 a.m. classes. That was when my wife and I decided it was time to stop moonlighting as a pro triathlete and give it a go. I definitely loved my job there and have stayed in contact with the college as best as I can, but I don't regret the decision to chase my dream.
Quote Reply

Prev Next