Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
IMLOU has now become wetsuit legal.

And likely a very fast and popular race.

Must also be an old calendar. No IM Muskoka, and they have the Muskoka 70.3 in September.

There are some mistakes on the calendar, like IM Cozumel with registration opening the same day as the race......Also, the TBD dates show that the calendar is a work in progress.

Of course that COULD mean a mistake in the October IMLOU date.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Louisville just became a great option. I see this race being very popular with an October race date. August in Louisville was never an option for me with the extreme heat, and I live an hour south. Sorry, but I know people who talked about racing it the year it was 105 degrees...really? That's just sick and asking for problems and a lot of DNF's. It's Ironman not the Deathmarch.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. That's why I asked. I hadn't seen any other announcements. But there was tons of speculation when Chattanooga was announced that it might be the death of Louisville. This would make Louisville a viable fall option and sell it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im bummed if this is true. I love going out to Kentucky in the summer. It's just a fun place to be at that time of the year.

Thanks for sharing this none the less though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [chris_mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris_mac wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Boooo freaking hooooo!!! It's hot. It's possible that some athletes do better in hot conditions and thus prefer Louisville in August. I did IM Moo in '06 as my first IM an completely suffered thru the entire thing. Watching those that do well in cool temps cruise thru it. So I personally enjoy running past people that are withering in the Louisville heat. It's what makes IMLV what it is. Why take the challenge out of the race by moving it to a cooler month!? There's plenty of cool weather races to choose from. Very few that offer those that do well in heat that small advantage. Maybe we should move Placid or CDA to a flatter area? Or Florida could be moved to Vegas. Possibly Kona could be moved somewhere cooler, less humid and with very little wind? Are you kidding? That's what we sign up for! That's one of the main reasons why I sign up for Louisville. Heat.
Big mistake to move the race. Kinda sissifies it a little in my opinion.

Could not agree more, did I it five times, loved the heat, just won't be the same now, dam!

You haven't by chance WON Louisville, have you?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [chris_mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am one that prefers cold. The challenge becomes warmth vs aero and transition time...finding that compromise. Then adjusting nutrition to account for less fluid intake. I say this now....but havent eperienced it yet....but secrety hope for 50f and rainy on sept 7th. Downright pouring rain even to knock some DI2 machines out of comission...hehe...[sort of pink]

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Im bummed if this is true. I love going out to Kentucky in the summer. It's just a fun place to be at that time of the year.

You know that they are not closing the state for the summer, right? They're only moving the IM race to October. You're still allowed to visit KY without the race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Not sure if this was discussed but i just stumbled upon this do unmentioned that shows IM Louisville moving to October. That should make a much more pleasant race.

http://www.ironman.com/...calendar%20draft.pdf

Anyone see this announced?

Was going to skip a full next year….this just changed my mind! Totally down for Lou in Oct!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2014 athlete guide will be out soon and this confirmed...or not
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am seriously considering it as well. My guess is they will pick up 2 for every 1 they lose who prefers to suffer in the heat. Anyone want to speculate if/when an IMLOU in Oct might sell out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That might be enough to make me consider it. Kentucky in August isn't appealing to me. October definitely is.
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Jul 26, 14 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I am seriously considering it as well. My guess is they will pick up 2 for every 1 they lose who prefers to suffer in the heat. Anyone want to speculate if/when an IMLOU in Oct might sell out.

With Choo & Lou two weeks apart, it might take longer than you/I think but I bet it sells out.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
If IMLOU is moving to October, as someone who lives driving distance away, I think this is AWESOME. It'll be so perfect in Louisville in October, maybe a bit chilly in the morning.

Its gonna be 58 degrees tomorrow morning in Lake Placid when the swim starts. It is supposed to be 51 in Whistler at the swim start tomorrow. Is that the kind of chilly that one can expect in Louisville in October. I will take it.

BTW, do any other IM races take place in North America on a holiday? I know not everyone gets Columbus Day off. But I do. Kind of makes this a more attractive race if this date is correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny thing.......you can still get to that page from the link in the first post of this thread, but it has been taken down from the Ironman(dot)com site.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:

You know that they are not closing the state for the summer, right? They're only moving the IM race to October. You're still allowed to visit KY without the race.

^^^This made me laugh out loud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And who says WTC does not monitor Slowtwitch.

I wonder why there has not been a word from a local about this. One would think there would be some sort of buzz (positive or negative) from the Louisville area about the move.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in the Louisville area. Besides a few local shops and a few people discussing it on twitter and facebook....haven't really seen as much as I figured I would.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Tcrunrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine the time trial swim start in the river still detracts enough people where it won't be an instant sell out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
And who says WTC does not monitor Slowtwitch.

I wonder why there has not been a word from a local about this. One would think there would be some sort of buzz (positive or negative) from the Louisville area about the move.
Buzz has been going around Louisville about this all year. Many people said they heard it from various sources. Nice to see something slightly official about it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. By the way, have been to your city twice from New England on vacation (combined with other parts of KY). I am generally not a huge fan of the Southern part of our country (I will save my reasons), but I found your city and surrounding areas to be quite charming. My kids loved the underground zip lines, the Slugger museum and the tour of Churchill Downs. The trip to The KY Horse Farm and any number of distilleries is also a great draw for the area. If this race moved to October, I am in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
chris_mac wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Boooo freaking hooooo!!! It's hot. It's possible that some athletes do better in hot conditions and thus prefer Louisville in August. I did IM Moo in '06 as my first IM an completely suffered thru the entire thing. Watching those that do well in cool temps cruise thru it. So I personally enjoy running past people that are withering in the Louisville heat. It's what makes IMLV what it is. Why take the challenge out of the race by moving it to a cooler month!? There's plenty of cool weather races to choose from. Very few that offer those that do well in heat that small advantage. Maybe we should move Placid or CDA to a flatter area? Or Florida could be moved to Vegas. Possibly Kona could be moved somewhere cooler, less humid and with very little wind? Are you kidding? That's what we sign up for! That's one of the main reasons why I sign up for Louisville. Heat.
Big mistake to move the race. Kinda sissifies it a little in my opinion.

Could not agree more, did I it five times, loved the heat, just won't be the same now, dam!

You haven't by chance WON Louisville, have you?

BigSexy does like the heat!!

Mark M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Thanks for the input. By the way, have been to your city twice from New England on vacation (combined with other parts of KY). I am generally not a huge fan of the Southern part of our country (I will save my reasons), but I found your city and surrounding areas to be quite charming. My kids loved the underground zip lines, the Slugger museum and the tour of Churchill Downs. The trip to The KY Horse Farm and any number of distilleries is also a great draw for the area. If this race moved to October, I am in.

Well, bless your heart!

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because we've already done the August race multiple times, nobody cares around here...

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Last edited by: TriHard Indiana: Jul 27, 14 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you mentioned the swim... with the possible the switch to October what would be the Ohio river temperature?

Just curious... that might need to be pink. :)~
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would imagine the move to cooler climates has more to do with the swim temps than air temps. All those wetsuit companies have a pretty good interest in more wetsuit legal races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next