Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Lou moving to Oct
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this was discussed but i just stumbled upon this do unmentioned that shows IM Louisville moving to October. That should make a much more pleasant race.

http://www.ironman.com/...calendar%20draft.pdf

Anyone see this announced?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too bad it's the day after kona or id consider doing it.

seriously though, i'll strongly consider doing it now.
Last edited by: Ellsworth53T: Jul 25, 14 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good thing for sure. I never really wanted to do this one due to the heat factor. This would change my calculus for what races I might do next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder what they will do with the swim start since its dark at 8am?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do they do for B2B?

Looks like sunrise on that date in Louisville is 0748. There should be just enough daylight to start the swim at 0700
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
What do they do for B2B?

Looks like sunrise on that date in Louisville is 0748. There should be just enough daylight to start the swim at 0700

The 140.6 is a mass start right at 7AM and then they do the 70.3 in waves about an hour later.

From the link about dates, it looks like IM Maryland is also a go for 2015. I like Louisville being in October, I may consider it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
What do they do for B2B?

B2B is way further east than Louisville and south and it starts 730. As it stands you can only see 2 feet in front of you at 640 am which is 10 minutes before the pros start but when they get in the water. Something is going to have to happen, maybe they light the channel up or something. I would rather have heat than cold. Yes it has been up there a bunch of years, but personally, I would much rather have some heat than a cold rainy outlier day. The average is 70/50.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I wither in the heat, but don't care much about cold, I'll take the chilly day every time :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Since I wither in the heat, but don't care much about cold, I'll take the chilly day every time :)

Everyone always says that, and that is fine, but I heard the same thing prior to IM Wisconsin in 06 because it was so hot years prior. Then everyone DNFed do to hypothermia in 06 and they weren't singing that same tune. Warm rain is one thing, cold rain, well that is a different story. Maybe you were at Moo in 06' or have done an IM in 45 degree and rain, I dunno, but if you have and you liked then major props. Doing shorter races in cold is much more manageable because you are generating way more body heat.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
noofus wrote:

Everyone always says that, and that is fine, but I heard the same thing prior to IM Wisconsin in 06 because it was so hot years prior. Then everyone DNFed do to hypothermia in 06 and they weren't singing that same tune. Warm rain is one thing, cold rain, well that is a different story. Maybe you were at Moo in 06' or have done an IM in 45 degree and rain, I dunno, but if you have and you liked then major props. Doing shorter races in cold is much more manageable because you are generating way more body heat.

I did Tahoe 2013 and thought conditions were perfect. Maybe a little chilly, but I didn't mind one bit. Much better than being hot.

Was a 70.3, but I did Pocono the first year when it was misty/drizzly and about 50 degrees for most of the bike. I was fine then too.
Last edited by: noofus: Jul 25, 14 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
noofus wrote:

I did Tahoe 2013 and thought conditions were perfect. Maybe a little chilly, but I didn't mind one bit. Much better than being hot.

Was a 70.3, but I did Pocono the first year when it was misty/drizzly and about 50 degrees for most of the bike. I was fine then too.

Well if you 'enjoyed' 2013 Tahoe weather then yes you are definitely a different beast. Likely you probably excel as well compared to yours peers which makes bad weather even that much more enticing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this document legit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always had Louisville as a non-starter because there is no way I'm doing August in Kentucky. I live a couple hours away and being later in the fall brings it back in play.

I have visited the med tent twice in my life. Both were very hot long distance races. A man has to know his limitations, and that is mine.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boooo freaking hooooo!!! It's hot. It's possible that some athletes do better in hot conditions and thus prefer Louisville in August. I did IM Moo in '06 as my first IM an completely suffered thru the entire thing. Watching those that do well in cool temps cruise thru it. So I personally enjoy running past people that are withering in the Louisville heat. It's what makes IMLV what it is. Why take the challenge out of the race by moving it to a cooler month!? There's plenty of cool weather races to choose from. Very few that offer those that do well in heat that small advantage. Maybe we should move Placid or CDA to a flatter area? Or Florida could be moved to Vegas. Possibly Kona could be moved somewhere cooler, less humid and with very little wind? Are you kidding? That's what we sign up for! That's one of the main reasons why I sign up for Louisville. Heat.
Big mistake to move the race. Kinda sissifies it a little in my opinion.

Mark M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm skeptical that this draft is in it's final form. For example, the newly announced IM Muskoka slated for late August, 2015 is not on the list. Having said that, I kinda like this move. If they keep it on Columbus Day weekend, there's a chance I could make that race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shrug, this makes me less likely to sign up. I would much rather deal with a warmer than average day than a colder than average day. October in Louisville should be good, but there is quite possibly a chance of a real crummy cold day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [MarkM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkM wrote:
. Why take the challenge out of the race by moving it to a cooler month!? .

$$$$$$$

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If IMLOU is moving to October, as someone who lives driving distance away, I think this is AWESOME. It'll be so perfect in Louisville in October, maybe a bit chilly in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
If IMLOU is moving to October, as someone who lives driving distance away, I think this is AWESOME. It'll be so perfect in Louisville in October, maybe a bit chilly in the morning.

x2!!!

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
MarkM wrote:

$$$$$$$

I still don't get it with a time trial swim start they have record numbers of people starting that race.

Mark M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLOU has now become wetsuit legal.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

And likely a very fast and popular race.

Must also be an old calendar. No IM Muskoka, and they have the Muskoka 70.3 in September.

This is also going to make a Placid/Louisville double a pretty nice option.
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Jul 25, 14 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkM wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
MarkM wrote:

$$$$$$$

I still don't get it with a time trial swim start they have record numbers of people starting that race.

The fact that you can still sign up for the race 1 month out has to be considered a thorn in the side of WTC/Ironman.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou moving to Oct [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

And likely a very fast and popular race.

Must also be an old calendar. No IM Muskoka, and they have the Muskoka 70.3 in September.

There are some mistakes on the calendar, like IM Cozumel with registration opening the same day as the race......Also, the TBD dates show that the calendar is a work in progress.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkM wrote:
Boooo freaking hooooo!!! It's hot. It's possible that some athletes do better in hot conditions and thus prefer Louisville in August. I did IM Moo in '06 as my first IM an completely suffered thru the entire thing. Watching those that do well in cool temps cruise thru it. So I personally enjoy running past people that are withering in the Louisville heat. It's what makes IMLV what it is. Why take the challenge out of the race by moving it to a cooler month!? There's plenty of cool weather races to choose from. Very few that offer those that do well in heat that small advantage. Maybe we should move Placid or CDA to a flatter area? Or Florida could be moved to Vegas. Possibly Kona could be moved somewhere cooler, less humid and with very little wind? Are you kidding? That's what we sign up for! That's one of the main reasons why I sign up for Louisville. Heat.
Big mistake to move the race. Kinda sissifies it a little in my opinion.

Could not agree more, did I it five times, loved the heat, just won't be the same now, dam!
Quote Reply

Prev Next