Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
by no means did I mean to disparage the DFW club.... heard nothing but great things.

just wondered what things looked like from your foxhole down there. Turns out you have no visibility on this guy, no worries.

But usually somebody somewhere knows something when it comes to these things. At this piont we've heard nothing for or against except the original post. ST's witch hunting skills are getting soft.

CB3 wrote:
Woohoo, DFW Tri Club getting some attention!.... For all the wrong reasons. I train with alot of the group and have not come across Mr. Rodgers. His being from Arlington and me being less than half his age might factor into that.

Just wanted to chime in that I always enjoy Dallas stereotyping as it mostly holds true, every. single. time.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [JBIL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy cow, are we saying that the author Tom Rodgers is the same as the drafting Tom Rodgers # 933?!?!?!

JBIL wrote:
Apparently, he wrote this article. Provides some additional personal background.

http://blog.norway.com/...-endurance-athletes/

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, the easiest way to reduce (notice I said reduce and not stop because you are never going to stop it) drafting, is to raise the penalty. Drafting penalties should be 10-15 min and possibly more.

Perhaps there should be an additional drafting rule for blatant drafting (packs, group rides, sucking wheel, etc) where its 15 min or so. The current drafting penalty could remain (not dropping back in time, failure to pass, etc) for those smaller infractions.

This would be a judgment call but its just as judgmental as the current rules.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the referrees red card arm should be as tired as my legs on an IM bike leg. Enforce the rules, enforce them aggressively. Protect the brand and integrety of the race and the sport.

stevej wrote:
In my opinion, the easiest way to reduce (notice I said reduce and not stop because you are never going to stop it) drafting, is to raise the penalty. Drafting penalties should be 10-15 min and possibly more.

Perhaps there should be an additional drafting rule for blatant drafting (packs, group rides, sucking wheel, etc) where its 15 min or so. The current drafting penalty could remain (not dropping back in time, failure to pass, etc) for those smaller infractions.

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Agree. Ironman Brazil had a really bad drafting problem in 2011. In 2012 they upped the drafting penalty to 10 mins and by all accounts this had a significant effect in reducing drafting. However, from this article it seems that Brazil still has a problem:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_victory__4365.html

Given the combined benefits of a faster bike split and fresher legs for the run, the drafting penalty should be at least 10 mins for an IM, certainly for blatant wheel-sucking.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the article ... wow. Just wow It's one thing to be a nobody and cheat. It's another to have a lot of internet footprints.

"Tom Rodgers is a writer, elite coach, and the author of The Perfect Distance: Triathlete’s Guide to Long-Course Training (Velo Press: 2006) and is a regular contributor to magazines including Inside Triathlon, Lava, and Texas Runner Triathlete. He is a top-ranked over-50 competitor and elite coach for endurance events including the Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Hawaii, the bicycle Race Across America (RAAM), and the Boston Marathon (Endurathon.com). Before becoming a full-time writer and coach, he designed extreme physiology experiments and trained astronauts for the International Space Station at NASA in Houston, Texas."

ericM40-44 wrote:
holy cow, are we saying that the author Tom Rodgers is the same as the drafting Tom Rodgers # 933?!?!?!

JBIL wrote:
Apparently, he wrote this article. Provides some additional personal background.

http://blog.norway.com/...-endurance-athletes/

Quote | Reply
This is easier than you think, and has been suggested before. Use a diffuse-mode photoeye running off a DC 12V power source attached to the rider's handlebars, facing forward. they come with their own built-in LED's to indicate when they're "on" - i.e. when the beam shows that an object is present in front of it. Tying the output in to a small system to store total time when the eye shows blocked should be easy for the right type of engineer (which I'm not; I'm mechanical)

At the end of the bike leg, the devices could be removed in T2 by race staff. Drafting penalty could then be assigned based on total infraction time.

I'd say "piece of cake," but development projects never are. (Like how does it deal with rain?) It does sound like a fun project, but the first prototype is a thousands-of-dollars development path. I'm sure final cost could be brought down to sub-$100 range - which seems fine given that they should be multi-season reusable.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you guys understand technology but aren't understanding culture and the concept of law and order.

there is a way to have no drafting without any person or any technological innovation watching.

benjpi wrote:
This is easier than you think, and has been suggested before. Use a diffuse-mode photoeye running off a DC 12V power source attached to the rider's handlebars, facing forward. they come with their own built-in LED's to indicate when they're "on" - i.e. when the beam shows that an object is present in front of it. Tying the output in to a small system to store total time when the eye shows blocked should be easy for the right type of engineer (which I'm not; I'm mechanical)

At the end of the bike leg, the devices could be removed in T2 by race staff. Drafting penalty could then be assigned based on total infraction time.

I'd say "piece of cake," but development projects never are. (Like how does it deal with rain?) It does sound like a fun project, but the first prototype is a thousands-of-dollars development path. I'm sure final cost could be brought down to sub-$100 range - which seems fine given that they should be multi-season reusable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am simply looking at this from the task that Jimmy is presented with. He is given a set of rules for drafting and told to enforce them for the entirety of the bike course. How is this accomplished when, to comprehensively enforce the rules from first rider to last rider, he requires visibility on near 100 miles of road concurrently? It's not possible. So, you have two choices:
  1. be pragmatic, compromise, and do best to optimize where enforcement is targeted, at any time leaving large areas of the course unenforced and primed for cheating, or
  2. look at how technology can help solve the problem comprehensively.

I'm just saying that if it were Google presented with Jimmy's challenge, they would go about it via option 2. And, like driverless cars, it would be an interesting, though far simpler, technical endeavor.

But, please, tell me more about culture.
Last edited by: kny: Nov 3, 14 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy, I've made suggestions and given kudos (for Kona) in other threads.

to recap:

law and order. Marshals give out penalties, not "break things up". Zero warnings. Red card arm SO tired from giving penalties.

cost benefit: the longer the race, the steeper the penalty. For KQ racing, 10min penalty or 4min plus a penalty mile at T2.

Penalty magnets: the way some guys ride (ie. cleanly), the become penalty magnets. Moving forward though the field like the pied piper, riders tagging along catchign on to the back of the bunch. Find those people, get to know those people, work them into your marshalling plan.

social networking: much like penalty magnets, drafters are real people too. There is social component to this, identify it and cut it at the root.

Economics: reward those that can assist in IDing drafters. Riders w/ cameras, bystanders w/ motos, etc. Get them into the game.

JimmyRiccitello wrote:
No, I did not tell referees or athletes that drafting was allowed at any point in the race.

Draft marshals are instructed to be patient at the start of races, but to aggressively enforce blatant drafting early, and that the enforcement of drafting starts at the mount line.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread - there were drafting penalties issued within the first few miles of IMFL.
, I

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

the bicycle Race Across America (RAAM), and the Boston Marathon (Endurathon.com). Before becoming a full-time writer and coach, he designed extreme physiology experiments and trained astronauts for the International Space Station at NASA in Houston, Texas."
Two points about this:

He started but did not finish RAAM, he was pulled due to not making a time cut-off. Still far better than I could do.

As far as designing extreme physiology experiments, I would think that to work at that level with NASA that you would have to have an advanced degree and I am not seeing that on his website.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced against him (Masters) in Aug at the Arkansas State Sprint Champ

https://www.nolimitstiming.com/results/default.aspx?event=28992

He had the best bike split of anyone and i rode "extra-legally" behind him most of the bike leg and not once did he try drafting anyone.

Chatted with him after the race and yes did like to talk about himself, but so what.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
If Google were presented with this problem, they would solve it technically.

Invent a proximity sensor that tracks the sensor's directional proximity to all other sensors within range, as well as the current speed and directional heading. Store this data at 1 second or finer intervals. Load these sensors through a collection system that downloads their data and runs an algorithm to identify violations: drafting, passing on right (blocking would be tough to enforce)

Effectively the entire bike could be recreated precisely with such data collected from all sensors on all bikes. Implementing penalties algorithmically from these data would get rid of all discretion, but rules should not include discretion; they are either broken or not broken. Also, algorithms could implement more complex rules, such as if the surrounding density of riders in an area at a given point in time is such that 7m spacing is impossible or near impossible, then 5m spacing is the limit at that point. Or, if the total number of seconds in violation exceeds 300 for a rider, then a DQ is issued for blatant violation. The sky is the limit when the data exists.

Such proximity sensors do not exist, but if a tech company with an R&D budget were presented with this problem, this is how they would go at it. Not by throwing an increasing number of guys on the back of motorcycles.

While the prox sensor technology is do able. I would have two mounted on the bike (one on the fork and one on the chainstay). You could use the difference in distance that each one measures to determine who is the drafter and who is the draftee.

I think a simpler mechanism would be a series of cameras on the course in conjuction marks painted on the road. If there person is in the draft zone when going going over the first set of marks painted on the road, then they better be out of it by the next set of marks on the road. This may also be possible with timing mats. Now you could always use infared paint or something so that the racers can not see the marks, but I am thinking that you want them to see the marks. This will also allow you to paint lots of marks all over the course that do not have the expensive cameras, but still result in racers making sure they do not draft in these zones. It will also give athletes a clear example of what the correct draft zone is. I think this could be a very effective, reliable, and cost effective. It is of course not 100% effective, but I think it could be effective enough. Plus they could always post the pictures and videos of blatant drafters to shame them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
there is a way to have no drafting without any person or any technological innovation watching

DQ at second penalty?

Crafty cheaters would likely still succeed, as the officials can't be everywhere at once - working together when alone, working apart when the race marshall shows up. However - a calibrated device distributed to all racers removes the doubt - even for those who want to "push the envelope" or may not know what illegal drafting distances look like.

The penalties for robbing a 7-11 are already pretty high, but it still happens. Video surveillance cuts the incidence way down, doesn't it?

On the other hand - modification of the race start procedure (randomizing the swim start / going to TT starts) probably would have a good non-drafting effect. Let's say the pros or top AG'ers (by previous USAT scores) are not allowed to start the swim within 4 minutes of each other, or even 6. The issue then becomes you're not racing with your competition. Plus over a 112 mile ride, 4-6 minutes can vanish pretty quickly.

What secret sauce are you proposing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the secret sauce that I'm proposing is for WTC to enforce its own rules. The concept of law and order. It's a dirty little secret that there are those in power in the WTC infrastructure that are actively lobbying their peers for Jimmy Riccitello to NOT enforce the rules.

We're starting to see the trends going down where penalties are given out firmly, fairly, and unemotionally. A better Kona... a better IMFL... etc.

see my other post to Jimmy. It's also a cost benefit thing. Steeper penalties. It's also a social thing. Seek out the blatant drafters and dirtiest riders and punish them accordingly.

benjpi wrote:
Quote:
there is a way to have no drafting without any person or any technological innovation watching

DQ at second penalty?

Crafty cheaters would likely still succeed, as the officials can't be everywhere at once - working together when alone, working apart when the race marshall shows up. However - a calibrated device distributed to all racers removes the doubt - even for those who want to "push the envelope" or may not know what illegal drafting distances look like.

The penalties for robbing a 7-11 are already pretty high, but it still happens. Video surveillance cuts the incidence way down, doesn't it?

On the other hand - modification of the race start procedure (randomizing the swim start / going to TT starts) probably would have a good non-drafting effect. Let's say the pros or top AG'ers (by previous USAT scores) are not allowed to start the swim within 4 minutes of each other, or even 6. The issue then becomes you're not racing with your competition. Plus over a 112 mile ride, 4-6 minutes can vanish pretty quickly.

What secret sauce are you proposing?

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I will jump in and also ID myself, Steve Smith USAT SMW 50-54, retired Army, San Antonio texas, 30 years of racing. Every region has a guy or guys in the region with a reputation for some questionoable tactics. TR is the guy in the SMW that we all kind of know will suck your wheel a little longer than the legal limit. Not sure why he does this, he is a very strong racer and has some great results, not as blatent as KM wearing a helmet mirror but has great ears for USAT motorcycle. Every year I have the same situation at Olympic and sprints in the region, out of the water before him and at some point on the bike he motors by, either grabbing my wheel for a while or hanging on to some other younger guys wheel. I have kind of just accepted that we just have people like this in our sport and you just roll your eyes and don't think much about it. Unfortunatly for TR he is a big presence in our region, writing columns in Texas Runner Triathlete, coaching etc.. and he should probably re-evaluate his tactics, especially because he does not need it, he can compete clean and still do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to lose focus on the topic on hand. (Number 931 Tom Rodgers)

But..... I would volunteer to be an on course draft marshal at an IM or Half IM while riding the bike. I would gladly volunteer to just ride the bike course of either IM Maryland or Eagleman, catching any obvious drafters, ie less than 1 bike length back for longer than 2 min. I'm a strong enough rider to slowly pass groups or people.

I think having a few rumored on the bike draft marshals, it would scare a few racers to ride clean.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in10siv wrote:
Not to lose focus on the topic on hand. (Number 931 Tom Rodgers)

But..... I would volunteer to be an on course draft marshal at an IM or Half IM while riding the bike. I would gladly volunteer to just ride the bike course of either IM Maryland or Eagleman, catching any obvious drafters, ie less than 1 bike length back for longer than 2 min. I'm a strong enough rider to slowly pass groups or people.

I think having a few rumored on the bike draft marshals, it would scare a few racers to ride clean.

So you'd be like secret agent man, they giving you a number and taking 'way your name.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the secret sauce that I'm proposing is for WTC to enforce its own rules. The concept of law and order

I think the nature of this thread (and the many other drafting threads) shows that it is very difficult to do so, despite the best intentions. Enforcement seems to just be too difficult, and human nature doesn't seem to lend support to the 'concept' theory. It may be the cheapest option though, but I don't know that marshals on motorcycles are free. Some skill is required there - not sure I want just random volunteers on motorcycles serving as marshals.

With regard to calling out drafters after the fact - this is a dangerous path and I believe amounts to a no-trial lynch mob. Calling them out here MIGHT lead to some public embarrassment but (hopefully) no more vigilante justice than that. As far as the WTC handing out penalties after the fact based on an internet forum - I can see that as being more than a little problematic in the world of "he said, she said."

Finally - those lobbying for loosening of the drafting rules. Fine. Identify yourself as a draft-legal competitor (red bike number?) and have at it. In keeping with the law-n-order approach - if you're racing as non-draft and get caught in a race that includes a draft-legal class, then your finish automatically gets classified with draft-legal finishers. How's that?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kny [ In reply to ]
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [stephen.smith23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephen.smith23 wrote:
Ok I will jump in and also ID myself, Steve Smith USAT SMW 50-54, retired Army, San Antonio texas, 30 years of racing. Every region has a guy or guys in the region with a reputation for some questionoable tactics. TR is the guy in the SMW that we all kind of know will suck your wheel a little longer than the legal limit. Not sure why he does this, he is a very strong racer and has some great results, not as blatent as KM wearing a helmet mirror but has great ears for USAT motorcycle. Every year I have the same situation at Olympic and sprints in the region, out of the water before him and at some point on the bike he motors by, either grabbing my wheel for a while or hanging on to some other younger guys wheel. I have kind of just accepted that we just have people like this in our sport and you just roll your eyes and don't think much about it. Unfortunatly for TR he is a big presence in our region, writing columns in Texas Runner Triathlete, coaching etc.. and he should probably re-evaluate his tactics, especially because he does not need it, he can compete clean and still do well.

This was what I have been thinking looking at his results. I have done 3 Konas when he raced (2006, 2010, 2013), and I came out of the water in the exact same vicinity as him, which is basically off the back of the fast guys. This means there is a lot of empty space to bridge up to really fast guys and get on their wheels. This is actually why I pointed out to his time in Kona vs Ken Glah and then him racing faster than Ken in Florida. At Kona Mr. Rodgers likely has a lot more empty space on the road with the wind and hills to get up to the really fast guys and he still bikes quite well and his runs are solid there. That's why I feel just looking at the results and the races I have done that he has been in, that he does not need to draft.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
I raced against him (Masters) in Aug at the Arkansas State Sprint Champ

https://www.nolimitstiming.com/results/default.aspx?event=28992

He had the best bike split of anyone and i rode "extra-legally" behind him most of the bike leg and not once did he try drafting anyone.

Chatted with him after the race and yes did like to talk about himself, but so what.

If someone has the best bike split in a race, exactly who is he going to draft?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:
Quote:
the secret sauce that I'm proposing is for WTC to enforce its own rules. The concept of law and order

I think the nature of this thread (and the many other drafting threads) shows that it is very difficult to do so, despite the best intentions. Enforcement seems to just be too difficult, and human nature doesn't seem to lend support to the 'concept' theory. It may be the cheapest option though, but I don't know that marshals on motorcycles are free. Some skill is required there - not sure I want just random volunteers on motorcycles serving as marshals.

With regard to calling out drafters after the fact - this is a dangerous path and I believe amounts to a no-trial lynch mob. Calling them out here MIGHT lead to some public embarrassment but (hopefully) no more vigilante justice than that. As far as the WTC handing out penalties after the fact based on an internet forum - I can see that as being more than a little problematic in the world of "he said, she said."

Finally - those lobbying for loosening of the drafting rules. Fine. Identify yourself as a draft-legal competitor (red bike number?) and have at it. In keeping with the law-n-order approach - if you're racing as non-draft and get caught in a race that includes a draft-legal class, then your finish automatically gets classified with draft-legal finishers. How's that?

This isn't a terrible idea. I think people need to revisit the very idea of a draft illegal (lets call it what it is, the bike time trial portion of the triathlon) in a world where the majority of the people get out of the swim at a similar time. I know a lot of people have time and energy invested in a TT format for the bike so the idea of a draft legal 140.3 distance event might sound ridiculous; but it is the only way to eliminate drafting while still keeping the format swim-bike-run.

The only problem with your suggestion is that draft legal races tend to adopt UCI mass start rules, which means no fancy TT bikes would be allowed on the course. You could have a rule that says you have to be on the horns if you are "draft legal" but wouldn't that end up being similar to the problem we are trying to solve? A non-enforceable rule.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
If someone has the best bike split in a race, exactly who is he going to draft?

Ride strong riders wheel/s at low wattage, then go hard for the end or the bike leg you'll get a great time without using the same amount of energy to do it without cheating. Doesn't seem unlikely to me at all.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't GoPro a sponsor? If you intend to qualify for Kona maybe we'll have to ride with a camera. Also you'll need a drug test.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply

Prev Next