Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMFL drafting scenario
Quote | Reply
Yesterday at about mile 2, I pass racer 931. He hops on my wheel, 2" back. I peek back at some point, peek later, and still there. I finally sit up and call him out. He claims, "they made an announcement that it was OK to draft the 1st 6 miles, plus, don't worry, I'm not in your AG". Not believing it, I ride on w/ dude in tow. We turn R on hwy 79 and through mile 12 he's still there. I sit up again and call him out and say, "that's a long 6 miles, huh?!?!". He says, "what, I didn't hear what you said"! I let him pass, then re pass and drop him for good.

He's 15 minutes away from claiming his Kona slot!

Anyone know him? I would love a rebuttal or explanation.

Thoughts?

Quote | Reply
As long as people don't confuse the amateur with the professional of the same name this thread could get really interesting.

Both have a decent Internet presence.

Drafters suck.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was pretty cold. If it would have been me, my nose would have needed blown, a lot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess we can enter the guy's bib number in the tracker and post it here.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he on here? I'd like to hear what he says about the exchange I just watched

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:

He denied it, all of it and plead ignorant.

Just confirmed w/ the RD, Ben, that no such announcement was made.

I invited him on here to explain.

Quote | Reply
Right right. I was sitting at the next table. I'd just be interested to hear his version of that conversation, given that I saw it myself

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

Cam OK, I assume you have the correct number.

Number 931 is Tom Rodgers and was 3rd in 50-54: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3Hr4GxvVe

He also has a pretty solid background of racing at a high level, so I hope your number ID is correct:

http://www.sportstats.ca/searchResults.xhtml?month=0&lastname=Rodgers&year=&firstname=Tom&city=

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he was engaging in this type of behaviour over all this time there would have been more stories.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
irontri wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

Cam OK, I assume you have the correct number.

Number 931 is Tom Rodgers and was 3rd in 50-54: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3Hr4GxvVe

He also has a pretty solid background of racing at a high level, so I hope your number ID is correct:

http://www.sportstats.ca/searchResults.xhtml?month=0&lastname=Rodgers&year=&firstname=Tom&city=

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he was engaging in this type of behaviour over all this time there would have been more stories.

Dev

Dev, 100% absolutely positively sure. Saw his number, called out the number, and I never forget a mustache. The proximity of our numbers (918 & 931) show we started right near each other. When I started, the odds were a bit ahead of evens, so then they sent a bunch of us evens off to catch up. Caught him at about mile 2.

Quote | Reply
Cam, I just wanted to get your assurance. OK, now it's on Tom Rogers to explain what went on. I'll give him this...the guy appears to be a strong athlete, and probably does not need to engage in that type of tactic to KQ. He should be well enough known in the DFW area (based on him being from Arlington TX) that it would be hard for him to engage in these type of shenanigans for so many years of KQing. Pretty well every KQ guy is a local hero and always under local scrutiny because that person has the ticket that every other local wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason you started this thread is because you hit on that guy on Facebook and rebuffed you.

Perv. Does jenn know?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'll give him this...the guy appears to be a strong athlete, and probably does not need to engage in that type of tactic to KQ.

Maybe that is because he is always cheating? Someone with a penchant for drafting, masters age group, dallas. One wonders what else they might be doing!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like somebody *really* wants to go to Kona and will premeditatedly Create a cheating story to justify his drafting to his fellow competitors

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
The only reason you started this thread is because you hit on that guy on Facebook and rebuffed you.

Perv. Does jenn know?

Looking forward to the bikini pics of Mr. 931.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

Perv. Does jenn know?

Looking forward to the bikini pics of Mr. 931.

**Pink font**: 1st I'm accused of hitting on Angela Durazo and now Mr. 931. Am I improving or going downhill? **End pink font**

Quote | Reply
I like your logic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 miles (20k) on a guys wheel and no drafting cops see it, interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There wasn't room on the road for much of the opening 20 miles. They were out in force once we turned right off of 79 (I think that's the road) but I don't think they patrolled before that.

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I'll give him this...the guy appears to be a strong athlete, and probably does not need to engage in that type of tactic to KQ.

Maybe that is because he is always cheating? Someone with a penchant for drafting, masters age group, dallas. One wonders what else they might be doing!

Is this an Austin-Dallas thing...how did drafting+masters+dallas get rolled into "..what else they might be doing"...tell us more about the Dallas masters guys! Do I need to be concerned about the 50-54 crew next year at IM Texas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like our hero had the top bike split in his AG, even out splitting Ken Glah. Surely such a strong biker wouldn't need to cheat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Cam, I just wanted to get your assurance. OK, now it's on Tom Rogers to explain what went on. I'll give him this...the guy appears to be a strong athlete, and probably does not need to engage in that type of tactic to KQ. He should be well enough known in the DFW area (based on him being from Arlington TX) that it would be hard for him to engage in these type of shenanigans for so many years of KQing. Pretty well every KQ guy is a local hero and always under local scrutiny because that person has the ticket that every other local wants.

Dev, I know of a number of very top master racers who I race with that tell folks all the time that drafting is just part of their game plan. If they get caught, so be it, otherwise, they just do it.

So, if I had to guess, the top master racers are the ones I would be asking if everything is clean. Why would a BOP or even a MOP care?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he was engaging in this type of behaviour over all this time there would have been more stories.

I don't know anything about this guy, but usually the past cheating stories come out AFTER they are finally caught. I don't recall any cheater outed on ST or elsewhere that didn't have a history.

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kevin Moats corollary

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have taken his bottles like that "douche move?" And that lady drafter Thread from Kona

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL drafting scenario [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unintentional drafting, which can happen to any of us, is like getting called for pass interference or holding, you pay penalty and move on. Intentionally drafting is like intentionally injuring a player with a cheap hit, no excuses and should be a permanant DQ.
Quote Reply

Prev Next