Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help with a spontaneous half marathon
Quote | Reply
So I had planed on racing a 5k this weekend just to sub for one of my regular workouts. I only do sprint tri's so my run workouts are basically no more than 5 miles 3x per week. I just noticed the same event is holding a half marathon too and I'm tempted to enter. I've never ran more than 7 miles consecutively. Will I be in over my head? Will I be wrecked for the following week of training? Ive got my first triathlon of the season the first week of April and don't want to sacrifice any training days. Any advise would be great thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I would not do that. If your longest ever run is 7 miles, and your longest recent run is 5 miles, then you would be totally trashed after a half marathon. It would probably take you at least a week to recover back to your training routine, unless you really go slow in the half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "I only do sprint tri's so my run workouts are basically no more than 5 miles 3x per week."

Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise...Just because you do "sprints" doesn't mean you need to half-ass your run training. People who are training to run a mile will often spend time running 60+ miles/week. If I were in your shoes and wanted to do a half, I would train for it first.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yeah, I would not do that. If your longest ever run is 7 miles, and your longest recent run is 5 miles, then you would be totally trashed after a half marathon. It would probably take you at least a week to recover back to your training routine, unless you really go slow in the half.
Thanks. Kinda bummed but 5k it is then.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone's body and capabilities are different but I ran my first HM having my longest run being 6.5 miles at the time. Up to that point I was only doing sprint tris with most of my runs 3-4 miles with one "long" run of 6-6.5 miles each week. I was in decent bike and swim shape at the time, swim workouts were 3,000 yards typically and I could ride 20-30 miles at 19-20 mph average.

So my thinking was that I had done some sprint tris that had 750 m swims that took me 1:15 or so and all I had to do was go 30 minutes longer. But ALL of it running of course. So I looked at my typical pace for those 6.5 mile runs and added 30 seconds per mile to that pace as a HM race pace. So I took the first 10 miles of that HM at a respectable pace. It worked like a charm for ME. I ended up running a pretty fast last 5K and was really happy with my performance.

The trick was to pace accordingly and also a very honest assessment of my own fitness.

So for some people I would say YES, this is doable.

I recovered in a couple days and was back at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could do it and finish, sure no problem.

But your body would need more time to recover with you never running more than 7 miles before.

If it is a goal to do it and you would have fun, then you could do it. If your goal is to not interrupt a week + of your training then I would avoid the 13 miles.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"I only do sprint tri's so my run workouts are basically no more than 5 miles 3x per week."

Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise...Just because you do "sprints" doesn't mean you need to half-ass your run training. People who are training to run a mile will often spend time running 60+ miles/week. If I were in your shoes and wanted to do a half, I would train for it first.
Sheesh! Well I hope I'm not half -assing, I train 11 hrs a week! 3x SBR plus twice a week in the gym.
And I'm not just moping around . I follow trainer roads sprint program to a T plus the two days of strength in the gym. I just thought the half would be nice to just get one in. I'm serious about competing in the sprints. Not so much the half. Just thought it would be fun to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are truly serious about competing in sprints, ditch the gym so you'd be running 5X/week and start slowly building mileage. My 5 runs a week would look something like:

4 easy
8 w/2x15' tempo or, if I were inclined to go to the track instead of doing tempo, 4x1200m@5K pace
4 easy
10-12 w/2x15' tempo

It would take quite a while to build up to that from where you are now, but if you got your running to that point, you'd be able to run a half decent half.

Another thing to think about long term would be taking a period of time and switching from doing 3xSBR and doing a run focus for 3-4 months. The Fall is often a good time for this.

However fast you are running now at 3x5 miles, I believe you would be quite shocked at how much faster you would get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you? I could have done this in my 20s and early 30s and come back after a couple days rest. If I tried this now, I would likely be down for a week or more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A reminder that this is ST. Where people who know nothing about you, your background, your race history or your goals tell you your training plan is garbage and you are doing it all wrong. Even when the question you asked isn't even about your training plan!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

TrierinKC wrote:
Everyone's body and capabilities are different but I ran my first HM having my longest run being 6.5 miles at the time. ...snip.... So I looked at my typical pace for those 6.5 mile runs and added 30 seconds per mile to that pace as a HM race pace. So I took the first 10 miles of that HM at a respectable pace. It worked like a charm for ME. I ended up running a pretty fast last 5K and was really happy with my performance.

The trick was to pace accordingly and also a very honest assessment of my own fitness.

So for some people I would say YES, this is doable.

I recovered in a couple days and was back at it.

IMHO, if you're already fit and have run 7, you can listen to the above pacing advice and do a half without issue. I wouldn't use the same logic to jump from 14 miles to 26 in one go (using the same percentage jump) as things get hinky above 16 in my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
If you are truly serious about competing in sprints, ditch the gym so you'd be running 5X/week and start slowly building mileage. My 5 runs a week would look something like:

4 easy
8 w/2x15' tempo or, if I were inclined to go to the track instead of doing tempo, 4x1200m@5K pace
4 easy
10-12 w/2x15' tempo

It would take quite a while to build up to that from where you are now, but if you got your running to that point, you'd be able to run a half decent half.

Another thing to think about long term would be taking a period of time and switching from doing 3xSBR and doing a run focus for 3-4 months. The Fall is often a good time for this.

However fast you are running now at 3x5 miles, I believe you would be quite shocked at how much faster you would get.
Agree with this. I have been taking oct through dec off except for gym because the peak of my work season is then. I'm gonna start the Barry P run plan next oct. Id have a hard time permanently ditching the gym though. Having some physic is still important to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
How old are you? I could have done this in my 20s and early 30s and come back after a couple days rest. If I tried this now, I would likely be down for a week or more.
41 lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it! Your time to recover will depend entirely on how hard you run it. Go out to enjoy the experience at a comfortable pace, i.e. one that will still allow you to easily talk, and you'll recover just fine. Go out to try to smash a record and you'll take a lot longer to recover. Your recovery time is in your hands!

As an aside, I'd counsel you to add longer steady state runs to your training anyway. There's nothing wrong with a solid aerobic base underpinning the rest of your fast efforts.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do it. you only live once. I did my first half with my longest run being 8 miles. With Achilles tendonitis. Yeah I was sore after, but I'm still glad I did it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, some good feedback here. I think I may be leaning towards going for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto to that. In my late teens no problem and I could run under 130. Now 145 and takes a week to recover even with 10-12 mile runs in my 20 mile weeks

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So much negativity! Of course you should run it!

if you can run 5 miles, you can run 10. If you can run 10, you can run a 1/2 Marathon...

You pace of course should be slower, but with plenty of fuel and water along the way you will stay fresher. I'd start nice and conservative, 30-60 sec / mile slower than your 5K pace. When you get to 7-8 miles, take a lunch break. By that I mean have a gel or other favorite food and take a little walk for a minute or two, let your HR come down a few beats, catch your breath, walk a bit further, maybe re-tie your shoes. Then, off you go, keep it steady and when your get to the last mile or two, pick it up if you feel like it.

Look at it this way, you are guaranteed a PR if you do the half and you will prove to yourself you can do it. if you take it nice and easy this time out, you will be able to beat this time by 5-10 minutes in your NEXT Half mary.

Good luck!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last season I trained raced three sprints with my longest run coming in at about 7 miles. The week after my last race I decided to see how 10 miles felt at my cruising speed based on heart rate. I felt good after 10 miles and signed up for a half marathon that night and raced 6 days later. Keeping a slower pace than I would in a 5k (8:10/mile for 5k, 9:20 for half) was hard but my Garman and heart rate monitor kept me honest. I race Clydesdale in tri and am generally pretty slow. I came in a little over 2 hours on the half and felt fine afterward other than my feet hurting for 4 or 5 days.

As far as training, I don't think you are doing yourself any favors for April jumping up in distance on the run, you might even injure yourself adding too much distance too fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you were kind of looking forward to it, so I say go for it. It's not like you don't have a running base of some sort. I agree with other posters that a marathon would be stupid, but a half-marathon is doable, especially if you're just out there to enjoy it. If you've got an aggressive time goal in mind, then be prepared for a potentially serious injury (or at the very least, an unpleasant recovery).

I went out and ran a ten-mile race a few weeks ago having done very little running recently and it was fine. Just be smart about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do it.

I did the Barrelman relay on basically no training last year as the swimmer and runner; thanks to STAC development time commitments I basically had no time to train running. But since I had my biking buddy depending on my running performance, I had to really give it on the run. Result: 13km at my planned race pace, followed by 8km of pain. As has been said, the Barrelman course is surprisingly hilly given that the bike is pancake flat.

Immediately afterwards we flew to Vegas for interbike, and I spent 3x8-hour days playing Zwift while plugging the Zero PM's wonderful attributes, and walking everywhere. I didn't injure myself during the half-marathon, but I did injure my ankles in Vegas because I was walking gingerly on my destroyed quads.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it.

I ran my first ever 5 miler (turkey trot) in Nov '15, first 13.1 in Jan'16 & first 26.2 in Feb'16 (10 weeks later). Not the best idea & there was some walking in the marathon but I survived.

I'm sure you'll get to the end, some injury risk but take it easy & you'll probably be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
13.1 is not that hard. If you are running 15 mi/week and overall training 11 hours per week you will have no problems. Go out easy and reassess your pace at the half way point. If you are feeling good pick up the pace. At 41 years old you will recover just fine and won't miss a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even when I was 23 years old (28 years ago), I did around 14 runs of 18 to 21 miles before I even thought of doing good at a half marathon.

I ran a 1:26 half marathon as a training day building up for an Ironman and I laid on the floor of my house for several hours after.
Quote Reply

Prev Next