Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
If you only run in the one pair, then you should consider at least one other pair and alternate. Keeps the wear pattern from getting too extreme on one pair before you change them. I have at least 2 pairs, roughly half a life apart so that when one pair reaches death the other pair is on half life.

Form likely does suffer as you deal with the discomfort from the ankle. Consider also whether you favour one side or the other during work and perhaps think about evening the loading a bit more.
Unfortunatly , without getting into boring detail about my work... I have to walk backwards counter clockwise and I cant deviate from that. It puts my left foot in a constant 15-20 degree + camber.
I will definitely take your advise on a second pair of shoes though. 90% of my running is on a treadmill so my shoes wear a little slower. Mine are right about half life now so perfect timing! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I would say the risk of injury will depend on a) how well trained as a triathlete he is, and b) his age. If the answers are, not very and over 40, then I would agree the risk of injury should be a bigger consideration.

Yeah.

If you're young, not injury-prone and don't get sore at all from your longest runs, do the race.

If you often feel on the edge of injury, or feel little tweaks and soreness from running, or are "old" don't do it.

I'm saying this as a non-runner who a few times went much longer than what I'd trained for when I was in my late teens (like nearly zero running over a couple miles to weekly 11 miler runs in a few months) and it was no big deal - just got a bit sore for a number of days afterwards.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
If you are truly serious about competing in sprints, ditch the gym so you'd be running 5X/week and start slowly building mileage. My 5 runs a week would look something like:

4 easy
8 w/2x15' tempo or, if I were inclined to go to the track instead of doing tempo, 4x1200m@5K pace
4 easy
10-12 w/2x15' tempo

It would take quite a while to build up to that from where you are now, but if you got your running to that point, you'd be able to run a half decent half.

Another thing to think about long term would be taking a period of time and switching from doing 3xSBR and doing a run focus for 3-4 months. The Fall is often a good time for this.

However fast you are running now at 3x5 miles, I believe you would be quite shocked at how much faster you would get.

If you run 5 times a week, how many times do you swim? and bike?

I swim 4 times, ride 4 times, and run 3 times, and I'm using all 7 days of the week (Monday's I use as an easy recovery swim, and possible day off, but since swimming is my weakness, I try to always get my 4 swims in).

I wouldn't know where to put 2 extra runs, unless I run OTB.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do double up sessions am and pm on Mon - Thurs. Friday off. Often swim, bike, run, Saturday and bike, run Sunday. Usually gives me 6 runs, 4 bikes and 3 swims.

I'm not a competitor, I'm a completitor so I am not overly worried about being a crappy swimmer, cyclist and runner. I just hand over the money to complete events.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Feb 21, 17 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you run 5 times a week, how many times do you swim? and bike?

3 swims, # of bikes/week varied from 3-10 from season to season, but always 5+ runs. Running OTB is still running so if you are time challenged it is an option.

If your goal is optimizing performance, I would never swim 4 days and run only 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a spontaneous half marathon [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
I do double up sessions am and pm on Mon - Thurs. Friday off. Often swim, bike, run, Saturday and bike, run Sunday. Usually gives me 6 runs, 4 bikes and 3 swims.

Ah I see. My week usually looks like this:

Maybe eventually I can add an easy run on Thursday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next