Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [tomspharmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomspharmacy wrote:
Cannondale Supersix Evo cover is 5mm, and widely available and less than $10.

I don't think it fits a P5.

By the way, the VeloFlyte one doesn't either. If anyone is interested in those I have at least 2 unopened ones lying around I'm willing to part with.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
http://www.cobbcycling.com/shop/accessories/5mm-top-caps
Thanks John!
or
FSA has an integrated headset with an 8.2mm top cap stack height. Get the headset, and have some extra bearings for the future, but bearings must match. 41mm OD, 36*/45*.
Cheers, Ken

Actually FSA makes a 4.3mm top cap, They are used on Felt's AR series of bicycles (except the AR FRD)

-SD

Is it total top cap height or the stack height of the top cap? I feel like the two are often interchanged.

Also, do you happen to know if there is any kind of standard on how much the bearing sticks out of the top of the head tube? Or is it totally random making it next to impossible to find a top cap that fits a specific frame without ordering it and just trying it?

The 4.3mm refers to the amount of steerer tube space the cover takes up.

There are simply different standards. Campagnolo, IS2, NO.23, etc...

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

So I assume you mean measure A on this picture:

For people reading: A is the actual extra stack the top cap will result in. Measure B is the total height of the top cap, which is irrelevant if it is made to fit, since the difference between A and B (i.e. B minus A) is already taken up by the bearing sticking up from the head tube.

The problem with the VeloFlyte one is that the fit is bad on the P5, so while measure A is very small (<1mm) measure B is something like 4mm (IIRC) so on the P5 you have to add spacers underneath in order for it not to hit the head tube bringing your total stack back up to almost the same level as a more standard low top cap.

It seems like the Cobb one is 5mm in total height (but I might be wrong), which would mean it would be somewhat less than 4.3mm in stack height. Unfortunately no specs are supplied so who knows which bikes or headsets it fits...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P5 w/ Aduro bar? designed to be run with no top cap at all.

also, the veloflyte does fit on there, I had it on mine, just for fun.

MTM wrote:
tomspharmacy wrote:

By the way, the VeloFlyte one doesn't either. If anyone is interested in those I have at least 2 unopened ones lying around I'm willing to part with.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
P5 w/ Aduro bar? designed to be run with no top cap at all.

also, the veloflyte does fit on there, I had it on mine, just for fun.

MTM wrote:
tomspharmacy wrote:

No, USE Tula with Specialized -22 degree stem currently - need the Aduro X-Lo to hit my stack (don't get me started on 3T recalling and discontinuing the X-Lo...).

I'm pretty sure I tried the VeloFlyte and it fitted like cr*p with the diameter too big and the 'wings' too tall meaning it was grinding on the top of the head tube. I know my team mate has it installed and it is like that on his P5. Maybe there's considerable difference between them because of the manual manufacturing process?

Since I'm planning on modifiyng my setup soon I might try it on again, but I'm not holding my breath...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
I'm pretty sure I tried the VeloFlyte and it fitted like cr*p with the diameter too big and the 'wings' too tall meaning it was grinding on the top of the head tube. I know my team mate has it installed and it is like that on his P5.

you can totally shave that thing down, and put the included .5mm shims under the veloflyte to bring it up slightly.

Also, I run mine with a rubber gasket pulled out of a normal headset dust cap for extra protection.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
MTM wrote:
I'm pretty sure I tried the VeloFlyte and it fitted like cr*p with the diameter too big and the 'wings' too tall meaning it was grinding on the top of the head tube. I know my team mate has it installed and it is like that on his P5.

you can totally shave that thing down, and put the included .5mm shims under the veloflyte to bring it up slightly.

Also, I run mine with a rubber gasket pulled out of a normal headset dust cap for extra protection.

Thanks, I might take a look at doing that. I think I needed more than the included shims to bring it up high enough to not hit the head tube. How do you go about filling it, I remember it felt very flimsy?

Good idea with the rubber gasket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use very fine sand paper

Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SD

To your knowledge, is that 4.3 FSA available as an after market item or only OEM?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken Nowakowski

ken@probikesltd.com
http://www.probikesltd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll probably give that a try and see if I can get it to work.

Do you by any chance have a picture of it installed on the P5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am guessing you don't want any shims under it as you are running a -22, kind of defeats that purpose.

did your p5 not come with a cap originally? seemed like many shops were installing a cap under the aduro without knowing you did not need to use it. I think I have one, somewhere, I can check
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I am guessing you don't want any shims under it as you are running a -22, kind of defeats that purpose.

did your p5 not come with a cap originally? seemed like many shops were installing a cap under the aduro without knowing you did not need to use it. I think I have one, somewhere, I can check

Exactly, the closer I can get to -17 the better.

It did come with a fairly low FSA top cap, 7-8mm in total height IIRC. It's what I've been using, but if I can find another one that fits and can shave off a few millimetres of height I'll take it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [Ken Nowakowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
SD

To your knowledge, is that 4.3 FSA available as an after market item or only OEM?
Thanks,

Ken

I think it would depend on where you are buying your FSA parts from. i.e. a distributor or from TH directly in Taiwan.
I would be surprised if the FSA distributor in Canada for example stocked these parts in aftermarket.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the outside diameter of the Cobb top cap/dust cover. I'm looking to match to a frame that is 47mm at the top of the head tube. Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next