Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers.
Quote | Reply
Where can you buy after market headset bearing covers? I'd like to get lower without buying a new headset if at all possible (already taken out all spacers and hate the look of stems that are greater than -17deg). Not too familiar with headsets & how they work so school me please!

Surprisingly hard to get from LBS or even from mfgs like FSA.

Try: http://veloflyte.com/...headset_dust_shields

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [BoyWithACoin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Handlebars/Low_Profile_top_caps_4096.html

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [BoyWithACoin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BoyWithACoin wrote:
Where can you buy after market headset bearing covers? I'd like to get lower without buying a new headset if at all possible (already taken out all spacers and hate the look of stems that are greater than -17deg). Not too familiar with headsets & how they work so school me please!

Go commando!

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [TriathAlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They now only sell them through a very limited number of of bike shops. Unless you happen to be near one, you're sol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cobbcycling.com/shop/accessories/5mm-top-caps

Thanks John!

or

FSA has an integrated headset with an 8.2mm top cap stack height. Get the headset, and have some extra bearings for the future, but bearings must match. 41mm OD, 36*/45*.

Cheers, Ken

Ken Nowakowski

ken@probikesltd.com
http://www.probikesltd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cane Creek allows you to buy headset upper and lower assemblies separately from one another. Although it's not just the top cap, it is "theoretically" cheaper than buying the complete headset. Although I found that I could buy the complete headset through Amazon for the same amount that Cane Creek was selling just the upper for through their website. Depending on what you're looking for, this may or may be the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [Ken Nowakowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I might go with the Cobb but there is a SlamThatStem dealer near me so I might check that out. I did think about going commando for a sec but that significantly reduces the life of your headset bearings, I would assume.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride in the rain, or on the trainer, definitely.

Or if you spill drink up front a lot.

BoyWithACoin wrote:
I did think about going commando for a sec but that significantly reduces the life of your headset bearings, I would assume.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
At first I was like, why is the Felt guy posting a Cervelo picture? But I think I see what you did there.

I couldn't find a photo of a Felt road bike that required such a radical stem set up. HA! I kid, I kid.

I remembered Ryder's set up as I was lucky enough to be at the '12 Giro on Stage 14 in Cervinia where he took command of the race. Recalling the coverage of his bike before and after the Giro I just searched on images of his bike from that time.

And with 100% sincerity I should state I like Cervelo, their products, the people I've met who work there and their message. We can share a great deal of the same philosophical take on the important focal points of bicycle design despite the differences in execution.

3adu 3adwi hu sadiqi

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [Ken Nowakowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
Thanks John!
or
FSA has an integrated headset with an 8.2mm top cap stack height. Get the headset, and have some extra bearings for the future, but bearings must match. 41mm OD, 36*/45*.
Cheers, Ken

Actually FSA makes a 4.3mm top cap, They are used on Felt's AR series of bicycles (except the AR FRD)

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
jackmott wrote:
At first I was like, why is the Felt guy posting a Cervelo picture? But I think I see what you did there.

I couldn't find a photo of a Felt road bike that required such a radical stem set up. HA! I kid, I kid.

That was what I was thinking!
Though Ryder isn't a good example of "damn bike is too tall" since he rides with his bars irrationally low. (I think)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he could throw a velolyte on there and have no addition to the stack height.

well, 1mm maybe.

jackmott wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Though Ryder isn't a good example of "damn bike is too tall" since he rides with his bars irrationally low. (I think)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.3mm is 430% bigger than what we're looking for here.... ;)

Veloflyte and its ilk are 1mm.

SuperDave wrote:
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
Thanks John!
or
Cheers, Ken

Actually FSA makes a 4.3mm top cap, They are used on Felt's AR series of bicycles (except the AR FRD)

-SD

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:

SuperDave wrote:
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
Thanks John!
or
Cheers, Ken

-SD

0<1<4.3<8.2

You sure 4.3mm is 430% more than 1mm?
Is 2mm 200% more or 100% more than 1mm?

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or he could put a volcano on there and be more comfortable and faster! (I think)

ericM40-44 wrote:

well, 1mm maybe.

jackmott wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could never figure that math stuff out. I guess 1mm is a million % bigger than 0

:)

SuperDave wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

SuperDave wrote:
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
Thanks John!
or
Cheers, Ken

-SD

0<1<4.3<8.2

You sure 4.3mm is 430% more than 1mm?
Is 2mm 200% more or 100% more than 1mm?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I don't know how I feel about that.... I think I ride my bike (S5) hunched over on the tops where I ought to be riding with my hands in the drops, so my bars are way too low. OTOH, I like the comfort of having the tops to lean my forearms on and also have the drops where they are for descending and turning. I know holding the drops at the right height will be slightly more aero than the tops at the same effective body position.

Was it Obree that you posted a pic of a while back, with the giant chain ring and the super high stack stem but perfect drops position?

jackmott wrote:
Or he could put a volcano on there and be more comfortable and faster! (I think)

ericM40-44 wrote:

well, 1mm maybe.

jackmott wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of the top pros in the 60s and 70s had great drops positions with flat forearms. Just seems like the fashion has changed lately.

I do know of one local hero who puts his bars too low on purpose to optimize it for the invisible aerobar position, heh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
If you ride in the rain, or on the trainer, definitely.

Or if you spill drink up front a lot.

BoyWithACoin wrote:
I did think about going commando for a sec but that significantly reduces the life of your headset bearings, I would assume.

On the aero-bars, I seem to drip sweat right on to the steerer. I wouldn't go without one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Ken Nowakowski wrote:
Thanks John!
or
Cheers, Ken

-SD

Is it total top cap height or the stack height of the top cap? I feel like the two are often interchanged.

Also, do you happen to know if there is any kind of standard on how much the bearing sticks out of the top of the head tube? Or is it totally random making it next to impossible to find a top cap that fits a specific frame without ordering it and just trying it?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me slam that stem! Headset bearing covers. [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale Supersix Evo cover is 5mm, and widely available and less than $10.
Quote Reply

Prev Next