Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Just wait... I've got an extremely in-depth review of 1X friction profiles coming. I'd bet that - at least on the road side - I've got more time on 1X than any other pro athlete. There's just a lot that you learn by running it - and nothing else. I don't think it's that manufacturers are bad about this stuff. I think it's just that they often don't think about it outside of MTB or CX (for right now), just because road 1X is still quite new.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm betting there's no way the newer 'clutched' options aren't adding measurable friction to the drivetrain. You can 'feel' it by hand in the workstand and it's not like you can 'feel' the difference between jockey wheels or chains. I'll probably have several questions once that feature hits. After playing around with SRAM (not extensively), Shimano, and adapters to run Shimano mt with road levers, I gotta say the Ultegra with the spring in the alternate position has really been my preference for everything 1x on cross and road. I never did get my hands on Force 1 RD to try before selling a previous SRAM shifting bike though. I'm such a fan of how SRAM stuff just works, has great compatibility and the RD's play nicer with big cassettes. If the spring/cage tension isn't as high (overkill on the road) as the 10 speed mt bike stuff I could see that being great.
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Just wait... I've got an extremely in-depth review of 1X friction profiles coming. I'd bet that - at least on the road side - I've got more time on 1X than any other pro athlete. There's just a lot that you learn by running it - and nothing else. I don't think it's that manufacturers are bad about this stuff. I think it's just that they often don't think about it outside of MTB or CX (for right now), just because road 1X is still quite new.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm betting there's no way the newer 'clutched' options aren't adding measurable friction to the drivetrain. You can 'feel' it by hand in the workstand and it's not like you can 'feel' the difference between jockey wheels or chains. I'll probably have several questions once that feature hits. After playing around with SRAM (not extensively), Shimano, and adapters to run Shimano mt with road levers, I gotta say the Ultegra with the spring in the alternate position has really been my preference for everything 1x on cross and road. I never did get my hands on Force 1 RD to try before selling a previous SRAM shifting bike though. I'm such a fan of how SRAM stuff just works, has great compatibility and the RD's play nicer with big cassettes. If the spring/cage tension isn't as high (overkill on the road) as the 10 speed mt bike stuff I could see that being great.

It's not that simple. The stiffer spring - I measured it about 4.5lbs vs 3.2lbs in a "typical" position (remember, spring tension varies based on deflection of the spring based on spring constant k) for a Shimano rear derailleur.

(EDITED -->) This should add about 1w of frictional losses. BUT the derailleur uses 12T pulleys instead of 11T pulley, EACH OF WHICH gains BACK some of those losses - though not the same total amount - making it less than 1w. But that doesn't consider the whole picture of chainring and cassette, which presents both opportunities for gain and losses.

So, as I discuss, yes, the clutch ADDS friction, but there are numerous other ways in which CERTAIN 1X configurations actually reduce losses.

I do the in-depth analysis, but at the end of the day, from a purely frictional standpoint, 1X can be both (very slightly) worse and (very slightly) better than 2x. But that doesn't get into the aero discussion...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Apr 1, 17 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Brian--

Yes, we are going almost all digital now. Back in 2010, LAVA was created for print. So the deal is that over the past couple of years, as forces of shifting advertising budgets foreshadowed, money to support the paper and shipping of print was drying up fast. (The first time I'd been warned that this was going to happen was in 2008 when I was told by one of the new CGI executives—I was with Triathlete and Inside Tri at the time— that all print would be dead within five years. I honestly didn't know if this prediction had merit or not. It did seem plausible).

This morning I received an email from a reader accusing us of selling out and not taking the high road. I can understand how this could be the impression, but it's not what's happened. It's more of an adapt-or-die thing. If there's anything we want it's simply to not go the way of Inside Triathlon and Running Times, magazines with strong histories that got reconsidered and absorbed into, respectively, Triathlete and Runner's World. LAVA is an independent mag--the WTC sold it years ago. We are just a few people and a team of freelance contributors. So in fact, there's nothing we could be absorbed into. Which now that I think of it is a good thing. But the forces are there for sure and we are in the act of recreating our magazine so that it's a unique fit into the multisport media landscape. At the end of the day a magazine is a compilation of those who contribute to it. I think we're extremely fortunate in that respect. Regulars include Dave Scott, Chris Foster, Cait Snow, senior editor Jay Prasuhn and Jordan Rapp. Cait, I should mention, is a new addition and she's writing some great stuff. There's a lot for us to figure out with the new platform. But we will have one more print issue this year and if we can figure out the right formula, more in 2018.

Our mission is to cultivate editorial that is of interest to our readers, in particular new lines of thinking in training, tech and nutrition, support and promote the sport of triathlon, and also I want to invest our energy in supporting grassroots triathlons that are what (in my opinion) helped build the sport in the first place. My first tri was a half-Ironman-length invention called the All Iowa Triathalon (sic) in 1983, put on by a next-door neighbor, and I feel a debt to that sort of thing that I think a lot of triathletes that have been around for a while feel. At any rate, the new version of LAVA is in a dynamic state of being so I encourage anyone interested in contributing ideas and stories to contact me at tjmurphy@lavamagazine.com. Now that we've embraced the change it's fun to consider the possibilities. Thanks and best regards--T.J.
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you 100%. I especially liked it years ago when Scott Douglass was the editor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fault on that one. Ironically enough, I've invested time in being able to spell the different ketones (e.g. betahydroxybuterate) so this was a painful one. It's fixed thank god.
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to reread back issues and be happy about all the gear I _didn't_ buy. Ditto Inside Tri.

I really enjoyed the magazine (back page, cover stories, photos, anything Jordan Rapp wrote), but I don't think they ever met a product they didn't like- which I totally understand, but still...

And changing gears slightly, Ventum did have the $32.5k signature bike on display at Oceanside this weekend. Looked great in person.

Maybe Pubes can start Rouleur for Tri, and he can hire an editor to redline the vitriol.

BryanD wrote:
I'm fine with digital only. I have so many Triathlete and Lava Magazines in my house. I don't know what to do with all of them.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Last edited by: dpancotto: Apr 2, 17 0:34
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I read my magazines at night before I turn the light off. I have no desire to read digital stuff only.

As was Ultrasport Magazine - damm that mag had some great stories in it , still revisit it from time to time after all these years
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [TJ Murphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about me TJ?. I am a Australian subscriber who bought 2 years printed copy 12 months ago. It cost me a small fortune. I worked in a high level Government security job. think Snowden ,which restricts digital access. I read it on my lunch break. The cost for me of 2 years printed I could have got 10 years of digital!. Am I entitled to a partial refund?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ, as one who has had photographic work from you in the past (and hoping to do more some day), I'm thinking this might be the best idea. We all loved to great printed and laminated covers and quality of stock in years past, but even high profile mags have suffered as of late. The up side is that the image quality can be much easier controlled and displayed beautifully on a screen, as often we were at the mercy of the printer and paper budgets. I hope you make this a stellar publication and show how wonderfully the digital messages can work. It has big possibilities as far as much more stunning graphics, more "interactive" avenues and abilities for comments and immediate interaction and involvement with viewers. I think it's a wise move and I hope to see some more brilliant and stunning images come from it. I'd be more than happy to help in any way if you need it! Best......

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
dangle wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

It's not that simple. The stiffer spring - I measured it about 4.5lbs vs 3.2lbs in a "typical" position (remember, spring tension varies based on deflection of the spring based on spring constant k) for a Shimano rear derailleur.

(EDITED -->) This should add about 1w of frictional losses. BUT the derailleur uses 12T pulleys instead of 11T pulley, EACH OF WHICH gains BACK some of those losses - though not the same total amount - making it less than 1w. But that doesn't consider the whole picture of chainring and cassette, which presents both opportunities for gain and losses.

So, as I discuss, yes, the clutch ADDS friction, but there are numerous other ways in which CERTAIN 1X configurations actually reduce losses.

I do the in-depth analysis, but at the end of the day, from a purely frictional standpoint, 1X can be both (very slightly) worse and (very slightly) better than 2x. But that doesn't get into the aero discussion...

Don't forget about just the pure simplicity. I am sure you included it, but I think it is really an underrated selling point.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chuckie---

We need to get you a refund--send me an email at tjmurphy@lavamagazine.com and we'll get things sorted out for you. Very sorry about that--I can imagine that did cost a small fortune. Love to hear about the job some time but that might be something that probably can't happen for Snowden-esque and other obvious reasons.

Best regards,
TJ
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Gary--great to hear from you and thanks for the generous words and support. It's my hope that we can navigate to a place where we can help keep the good shooters like yourself in business. Photographers like Rich Cruse, Delly Carr, John Segesta and several others who are talented and do it for the love of it for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks TJ. I appreciate that. As I said, if you need anything, I'd love to help. Many of us have passion that drives us and I'm sure yours will right the ship and create some great issues in the future.

TJ Murphy wrote:
Hey Gary--great to hear from you and thanks for the generous words and support. It's my hope that we can navigate to a place where we can help keep the good shooters like yourself in business. Photographers like Rich Cruse, Delly Carr, John Segesta and several others who are talented and do it for the love of it for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We want to echo our support for Lava Magazine and look forward to them being successful in their new format.They are committed to covering all aspects of triathlon especially covering the grassroots races which is great for the sport. I have dealt with their staff and TJ directly and they are in it for the love of the sport which is why most of us got into this in the first place.
We look forward to helping in any way to make this work.
Richard Izzo
http://www.TOUGHMANTri.com
http://www.TOUGHKidstri.com

http://www.TOUGHMANTri.com
Last edited by: TOUGHMAN: Apr 8, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so. It'll take another 4-10 years but I think you'll see more and more niche magazines go to digital only formats. I think it digital only has a few benefits. I think cosmo or magazines like that will survive a bit longer, maybe.

A few thoughts:

1. There is no question the print is facing some serious challenges.

2. There has been a big push and rush to digital and online - no questions about that. HOWEVER, few digital advertisers really look deeper into it. They get all excited about the metrics - we got X-click thrus, we collected a few email addresses - those tangible results are compelling. But there are a massive number of digital ads that NEVER get seen. And just generally, ask yourself - when was the last time you (not just you Brian, but the general you) clicked on an online ad?? Many moderate to heavy-duty online folks, absolutely loath online digital ads - and even use ad blocking software apps to screen them out!

3. I just wrapped up a large project in the triathlon business based on print ad sales (we had a record year of print ad sales!!), and I can't tell you how many people I spoke to who said after they said "no thanks" to my pitch, that they are getting completely out of print advertising. That's fine but . . .

4. Then we had that Slowtwitch poll about bike brands last week, and the results were rather illuminating - many bike brands, and some well known high profile ones, scored VERY low. Print ads act as a bill-board - and help tremendously in just getting the word out there on your brand, keeping you in front of custoners, and with brand recognition. People need to know of your brand, BEFORE they will buy your brand! This is where print ads can be VERY helpful.

5. But now people want and expect too much of their print ad - they want it to deliver, results, metrics, numbers and direct sales - like their digital ads may be doing - but they are asking too much, and that's not why you would run a print ad (read over #4 again). I always suggest using the 100-people-in-a-room test. Put 100 random people from your target market in a room. Ask them if they know about your brand, or would they consider buying your brand. If you scored 75 - 80+, there may be a a good argument to forgo print ads, but if you are much less than 50 - there is a VERY good argument to consider print ads in that market - for that general brand recognition action!

Sorry to see the demise of the print addition of LAVA.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 8, 17 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning I received an email from a reader accusing us of selling out and not taking the high road.

TJ,

Unfortunately readers don't see it this way, but if there is "blame" here, it rests at the feet of the many businesses and brands in this sport/business who have decided, that they will not be doing anymore print advertising - there is something "right" about that decision, but there is actually more wrong with it and rather misguided. In niche markets like this (the tri market), there is still a compelling case to carry on with print ads (see my previous post).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ Murphy wrote:
Hey Brian--

Yes, we are going almost all digital now. Back in 2010, LAVA was created for print. So the deal is that over the past couple of years, as forces of shifting advertising budgets foreshadowed, money to support the paper and shipping of print was drying up fast. (The first time I'd been warned that this was going to happen was in 2008 when I was told by one of the new CGI executives—I was with Triathlete and Inside Tri at the time— that all print would be dead within five years. I honestly didn't know if this prediction had merit or not. It did seem plausible).

This morning I received an email from a reader accusing us of selling out and not taking the high road. I can understand how this could be the impression, but it's not what's happened. It's more of an adapt-or-die thing. If there's anything we want it's simply to not go the way of Inside Triathlon and Running Times, magazines with strong histories that got reconsidered and absorbed into, respectively, Triathlete and Runner's World. LAVA is an independent mag--the WTC sold it years ago. We are just a few people and a team of freelance contributors. So in fact, there's nothing we could be absorbed into. Which now that I think of it is a good thing. But the forces are there for sure and we are in the act of recreating our magazine so that it's a unique fit into the multisport media landscape. At the end of the day a magazine is a compilation of those who contribute to it. I think we're extremely fortunate in that respect. Regulars include Dave Scott, Chris Foster, Cait Snow, senior editor Jay Prasuhn and Jordan Rapp. Cait, I should mention, is a new addition and she's writing some great stuff. There's a lot for us to figure out with the new platform. But we will have one more print issue this year and if we can figure out the right formula, more in 2018.

Our mission is to cultivate editorial that is of interest to our readers, in particular new lines of thinking in training, tech and nutrition, support and promote the sport of triathlon, and also I want to invest our energy in supporting grassroots triathlons that are what (in my opinion) helped build the sport in the first place. My first tri was a half-Ironman-length invention called the All Iowa Triathalon (sic) in 1983, put on by a next-door neighbor, and I feel a debt to that sort of thing that I think a lot of triathletes that have been around for a while feel. At any rate, the new version of LAVA is in a dynamic state of being so I encourage anyone interested in contributing ideas and stories to contact me at tjmurphy@lavamagazine.com. Now that we've embraced the change it's fun to consider the possibilities. Thanks and best regards--T.J.

It is totally your right to make this change, and I wish you the greatest success. However, I will not renew my subscription because of it. I've tried digital format on other magazines and I quickly learned that my digital subscriptions were a complete waste of money as I simply would not bother to go online and read them. On the other hand, a print copy on my coffee table is a constant reminder that I need to sit down for a moment to read it; or take it with me on the plane when I travel. This just helps me eliminate some clutter from my life and free up some time for other things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's where I'm irritated. Have been a loyal subscriber from day1. Just checked on Lava website and I have a 2 year subscription for which I paid $29.95, last issue is May 2018.
NEW subscribers are paying $9.95 for digital.
Once again being a loyal subscriber gets the short end
And yes as many have said ;digital is not for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [TOUGHMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much Rich. It's great working with you and your team and inspiring to see the success you're having with your races.
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Kyle--I totally understand and I apologize for the situation. I just mentioned your situation to my co-worker who handles circulation. If you send me an email at tjmurphy@lavamagazine.com I'll connect you directly to her and we'll try and fix this for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ Murphy wrote:
This morning I received an email from a reader accusing us of selling out and not taking the high road.

"Sure we've sold out; last tour we sold out everywhere we played"- James Hettield, Metallica

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, a print copy on my coffee table is a constant reminder that I need to sit down for a moment to read it; or take it with me on the plane when I travel.

I wish I had you and several other people on this thread, in the room or on the phone, when I was pitching/selling a rather large print advertising opportunity in the triathlon and endurance sports space, and probably hundreds of people in the business, said to me over and over, "we're not doing print".

Queried further they really would not go into detail, it's just what they had decided to do. For reasons that, this may be not the best choice and a bit misguided, please read my previous posts in this thread.

For that project that I was working on, we actually had record sales, of print ads for this piece this year, but it was a mammoth amount of pull-out-all-the-stops work. - much more so than in years past (and it was a huge amount of work then!)

Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 10, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

It is totally your right to make this change, and I wish you the greatest success. However, I will not renew my subscription because of it. I've tried digital format on other magazines and I quickly learned that my digital subscriptions were a complete waste of money as I simply would not bother to go online and read them. On the other hand, a print copy on my coffee table is a constant reminder that I need to sit down for a moment to read it; or take it with me on the plane when I travel. This just helps me eliminate some clutter from my life and free up some time for other things.

As much as I love and prefer print, there are advantages to digital that I also love. All of the magazines I've had digital subscriptions to allow me to download them (Lava included). So the convenience of having all the latest issues on my tablet is great, especially when travelling. As a natural speed reader, I burn through reading material very quickly, and hauling around 10-15 magazines on a business trip isn't very practical...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I wish I had you and several other people on this thread, in the room or on the phone, when I was pitching/selling a rather large print advertising opportunity in the triathlon and endurance sports space, and probably hundreds of people in the business, said to me over and over, "we're not doing print".

"Nobody ever goes there anymore"
"Why is that?"
"It's too crowded"

"People kept asking me to make that dish, but I had to tell them I took it off the menu"
"Why was that?"
"No demand for it"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Goodbye LAVA Magazine [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I do not have your problem. I recently traveled to IM South Africa and back from Tampa, FL. One of the legs was 14.5 hours. For the round trip, I read a newspaper each way, 1 magazine and 1 book that I brought with me, and filled in the rest either sleeping or watching movies on the entertainment set. I imagine you could have read War and Peace each way. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next