Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmtri wrote:
No game. CC number typed in word so you can copy and paste. Shipping and billing addresses saved in your Flo account.... Hit the refresh button a couple seconds before the timer gets to 0. I was in and out and the clock still said 12:00. I got a 60/90 combo no problem.

Outside of the CC number being typed out already, this is exactly what I did. I bought a 60/90 set today & had it in my cart & started the checkout process before the timer actually hit zero. I had two browser windows open on the 60 front & 90 back pages (which saved me about 30 seconds of having to navigate to the second one after buying the first). When the timer hit 2 minutes, I started refreshing both pages until it let me add to cart (roughly with under a minute left on the clock). Picked my sticker color, hub type, told them I'm not a clydesdale, and I was ready to pay. I had already walked myself through their checkout process on a dry run earlier with a shirt, so I knew what to expect. I was done & had a confirmation email of my order at 1:01 PM EST.

I went back just to check out a rear disc & I was able to add one of those to the cart too. I'm going to hold off until the next order before I get one, but at least I know the method to get one.

Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also think that it's funny to see people argue that they need to raise prices to meet demand. Have any of you even read the first paragraphs on their "About Us" page? No? I will save you the time...

http://www.flocycling.com/about.php
Quote:
Chris was in the market for race wheels. He knew there were basically two categories of wheels. First, there were the expensive, wind tunnel tested, aerodynamically superior wheels and second, there were the more affordable deep section wheels, that lacked wind tunnel testing and design. In the end he chose the first option and paid more money for the faster wheels.

When the wheels arrived we immediately felt there was a more affordable way to produce them. Why did leading edge design and affordability have to be mutually exclusive? Why were the fastest wheels in the world only available to those who were willing or able to spend thousands of dollars? As mechanical engineers we were determined to answer these questions. We wanted well designed, fast wheels to be available to a much larger percentage of athletes.
The basis of their entire business plan was built on affordable wheels that the average athlete who could not afford a set of Zipps or HEDs could obtain. For them to have garnered the following they have today would be completely lost if all of a sudden they were charging close to those two. After all, they are aluminum rims attached to carbon fairings which are heavier than the pricier wheels, but that's the tradeoff for affordability.

We can argue economics all day, but the way I see it, the issue is not the price. They have their sweet spot there, and moving out of that sweet spot means abandoning their business model and potentially losing customers to the upper competition or another new competitor who will come in behind them to fill that space. Their issue is staffing, cash flow, & supply chain. They are a small two person operation with a very loyal following. They wisely outsource the hard parts like order fulfillment. But they have not gone the route of staffing up to become a larger operation. They could do that, find another big investor, and quintuple their next order from their manufacturer, but in the end, it's their business, their model, and their wheels. If you are willing to play the game they have so strategically created, good for you. If you hate it, go buy some Zipps.
Last edited by: Meathead: Apr 16, 15 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I dont understand their model at all. I don't understand why they don't take 100% cash up front for shipments and everything is shipped in the order in which it is ordered. That gives them operating cash-flow and means you don't have to deal with the lottery type ordering situation that we have now.

It also seems that they could adjust their prices to manage demand appropriately, or do some combination of both - have greater operating cash flow from running a waiting list whilst also increasing prices for margin.

I'd have ordered some, but could not be dealing with ordering wheels like I'm on ticket master, so I went with an alternative and paid more, but it was more straightforward and that was worth the difference in cost.

Thats exactly how they did their first couple of pre orders. I was on the very first pre order and had to pay up front and wait 5 months for delivery while the wheels were produced then shipped over. At least now if you place an order you get them within a week or two.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the same conversation we have after every FLO sale. I am sure there are a lot of new Slowtwitchers that haven't been a part of those debates but that is what the search function is for.

The truth is that nobody on this board (other than the FLO owners who do occasional post here) truly understand their business model and what they are trying to accomplish. I guarantee you that it is not as simple as supply and demand. But you all can pretend to know how easy it is to run a successful company in an ultra competitive low margin industry.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I recently fulfilled my budget purchase by snagging some used Zipps at my leisure. This all reminds me too much of the bum's rush that happens every year at Walmart when they unlock the doors on Black Friday.
Last edited by: windy: Apr 16, 15 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I want to sell my services to them as a consultant.
"Guys we are going to raise prices until we sell stuff at the same rate that we make stuff"

same to some WTC ironman races i suppose...... :\
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they don't need equity (or capital). which (having not watched the show) the sharks bargain for in exchange for help?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
they don't need equity (or capital). which (having not watched the show) the sharks bargain for in exchange for help?

It seems like they are using the proceeds from one order to pay for the next, and each order is extremely limited. I would think that an influx of capital would allow them to increase the size of their orders. My guess is that they don't want to give up the equity they have in the company in exchange for that investment.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
It seems like they are using the proceeds from one order to pay for the next, and each order is extremely limited. I would think that an influx of capital would allow them to increase the size of their orders. My guess is that they don't want to give up the equity they have in the company in exchange for that investment.

Exactly, they are making a choice to limit supply in order to sell the wheels ASAP when their supplier ships them. This limits their risk of sitting on unsold inventory and allows them to pay for orders as they go. They are also growing sales at 50% per year so they could certainly put the capital to good use. The sharks would tell them that the are leaving sales on the table because they don't have the money to finance inventory.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Apr 16, 15 20:44
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
It does seem so simple: Increase prices or increase supply. Unfortunately it's not that simple. An increase in price could be tripped up by both cross and demand elasticity. It could also lower the value to the consumer. Increase in supply brings about an increase in average total costs. I know it's easy to think that if you sell more you make more, but it just isn't that simple.

You saw the points I made about determine what the correct point is to raise prices to, right? I also said nothing about an increase in supply. Once revenue and profits increase and they invest properly, they can investigate increasing supply.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
This is the same conversation we have after every FLO sale. I am sure there are a lot of new Slowtwitchers that haven't been a part of those debates but that is what the search function is for.

The truth is that nobody on this board (other than the FLO owners who do occasional post here) truly understand their business model and what they are trying to accomplish. I guarantee you that it is not as simple as supply and demand. But you all can pretend to know how easy it is to run a successful company in an ultra competitive low margin industry.

Hmmmm....besides 10 years in the bike business, I compete on a daily basis in a low-margin, high competition business. A level of competitiveness that far exceeds what I saw in the bike biz. So far I have doubled our sales, brought us to profitably and last year increased profit by over 150% (I won't bother telling you how much I increased profits the year before because it is absurdly high and sounds completely unbelievable).

To a certain degree, it is all just widgets and strategies that are successful cross all product categories.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
"Guys we are going to raise prices until we sell stuff at the same rate that we make stuff"

That goes against the entire reason we started the company. We started the company because we feel that high quality aero wheels can be affordable. We want to continue running the company that way. In 3 years we haven't had a single price increase because we are sticking to our founding principles. Raising our prices just makes us every other wheel company.

Also, in October and December we couldn't sell our wheels. They were available for days and weeks on end. Having the "magic" stock number at all times is tough. It's even harder when you have to keep paying the bills. Sure "keep raising prices", or "just order more" sounds so easy... I used to think that way before we started our company. The fact is it's not as easy as it should be. Even the big companies run out of stock. The magic is in making sure you order just enough wheels to keep paying the bills and not too many that you bankrupt yourself. Add a heavy product development budget on top of that, plus dozens of other things I haven't even mentioned and it's easy to see it's a moving target.

Are we perfect? Absolutely not, but it's not so simple that "just doing x" fixes everything.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I dont understand their model at all. I don't understand why they don't take 100% cash up front for shipments and everything is shipped in the order in which it is ordered. That gives them operating cash-flow and means you don't have to deal with the lottery type ordering situation that we have now.

Because we tried that when we first started the company and people complained much more than they do now. There are so many problems when you do this. Let's say you want wheels. You think I want to order now so I get my wheels at "x" date. Well we can't guarantee "x" date because there are thousands of other people just like you. So what happens when we take your money and you find out that you won't get your wheels for 6-8 months? If you're nice you cancel your order right away, but what most people do is they sit on it just long enough until we send all of their money to the factory. Then after 60 days or so of waiting they tell us they want their money back because they are tired of waiting, and oops, we don't have it. Sure... say no refunds, but ask me how that would turn out? We pride ourselves on offering the best customer service we can. Taking peoples money and not giving it back isn't something we are comfortable doing.

What I've learned during the process of doing this is that people aren't upset about our "system" they are upset because they didn't get what they wanted when they wanted it. They often say well if you did it "this" way then everyone would be happy, but they don't assume they'll be the guy waiting 8 months. I can assure you that asking them to wait 8 months won't make them happy either.

Look I know what we do isn't perfect, but keeping a business from going bankrupt while managing all of the moving parts is much harder than most realize. I'm not saying this to say "I know more than you do"... I'm saying this because before I started FLO I would have never understood the problem either. When you look at it from the other side, it's not always so cut and dry.

It also seems that they could adjust their prices to manage demand appropriately, or do some combination of both - have greater operating cash flow from running a waiting list whilst also increasing prices for margin.

I just replied to Jackmott explaining why we haven't raised our prices. I won't repeat it here again.

I'd have ordered some, but could not be dealing with ordering wheels like I'm on ticket master, so I went with an alternative and paid more, but it was more straightforward and that was worth the difference in cost.

What we do is not for everyone. We completely understand that. But our vision was to offer a really good product at a really good price and we are sticking to the belief for now.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
They may have some sort of stochastic and unpredictable arrangement with the manufacturer in order to keep costs lower.

Like the factory makes their wheels when they have spare capacity.

I dunno

None of that. We are the biggest buyer at our factory and we share the factory with some pretty big names.

Andrewmc wrote:

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enough ST'ing...get those wheels a shippin' out!

=)

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
You're still missing the point. They probably can't raise prices as much as people here seem to think. And this same FLO pre-order hoopla has been going on for what 3-4 years now? I'm sure it's great for the owners of FLO because they don't need to give away a portion of their company to build up inventory. But their customers/potential customers have been suffering for quite some time now. I'm not aware of any other cycling company that handles orders the way FLO does. Even just the ones who sell direct to customer.

From October through to the end of December last year we had stock for weeks on end. Nobody wanted the wheels. Right now demand is ultra high and we sold out quicker than we have in the past. Sure having the perfect number of wheels in stock may seem easy, but it's not. It's a constantly moving target. You never know how many wheels will sell at any given point in time. Sometimes we are right on, sometimes we order too much, and other times not enough. Apple runs out of stock, the big bike companies run out of stock, car companies run out of stock etc. In order to stay in business you need to find a balance. Again, what we do isn't perfect. I'll never say it is. But I can assure you it's a little more than hoopla.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Probably a combination of:
- They're probably not big enough to sustain continuous production and buy time as it comes available (probably cheaper)
- Volume discounts / logistical simplicity for ocean-based shipping
- Same, except for customs declarations, etc.
- It's easier (both for them and for process) to spend a week shipping wheels than intermittently doing it

They wrote a blog post about it a couple years ago. In the bike industry you basically have to predict your entire sales for the year and pay for them ahead of time.

That is not true. You do not pay for everything ahead of time.

You get essentially one shot to order wheels for the next 12 months. If you overestimate sales you get stuck with unsold inventory.

Getting stuck with unsold inventory is the fastest way to go bankrupt, and that means FLO goes away. Since we are the owners of FLO it's in our best interest to make sure it doesn't go bankrupt. That's why we do our best to not overestimate inventory. We don't always order the perfect amount of wheels but we do our best. For example, from October to the end of December, our wheels were available for weeks on end.

They could order more wheels and stock inventory but they basically admitted that they were unwilling to do that. Their sales model is specifically designed to minimize the financial risk to FLO.

I'm not sure if you've ever ran a business but minimizing financial risk is pretty much the name of the game. Why would we make risky financial decisions and set ourselves up for failure?

And yes, the blog post basically came off as them complaining about how hard it is to start a business.

You see here is the problem. People say things like you've said above. I spend the time to address their points first hand on forums and in blog articles and then they turn that around and say that we are "complaining" about how hard it is to run a business. That's not what I'm doing. I'm talking to our customers. I'm addressing their questions openly and honestly. How exactly can I win with someone like you? What can I say to make you happy?

There are several ways to address comments about your company. We could chose to not be active on forums, not address comments on social media accounts, and basically ignore customer service. We on the other hand place communicating with our customers and customer service at the top of our list. We answer peoples questions and address their concerns because we feel they matter. I think our communication and customer service reputation speaks for itself. For example, I'm addressing you personally right now at 11pm at night. I've been answering emails, social media messages and forum message for the last 13 hours. I know, I know there I go complaining again...

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
From October through to the end of December last year we had stock for weeks on end.

Yep, got a pair of 60s with no difficulty in November. I'm no wheel expert but I really like them.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
It does seem so simple: Increase prices or increase supply. Unfortunately it's not that simple. An increase in price could be tripped up by both cross and demand elasticity. It could also lower the value to the consumer. Increase in supply brings about an increase in average total costs. I know it's easy to think that if you sell more you make more, but it just isn't that simple.

I agree with all of the above.
However, I would wager that a near negligible number of potential customers would feel alienated or put off by a price increase of say $25/wheel.
This would barely constitute a price increase once you consider inflation since they started selling a few years ago.
They would still sell out, it might just take 3 minutes instead of 2 ;)

What this would give them though is $112,500pa of pure profit (based on an estimate of 5 pre orders of 900 wheels each year) to invest in the business.

Personally, I'm a fan of FLO and the ethics of the Thornham brothers.
They set out with a fairly basic aim of providing good quality aero wheels at an affordable price and they have stuck to that at their own expense.
Sure, some people find it frustrating that they can't get a set when they want. But the fact remains that they have provided customers with an inexpensive option at a time when we were being told that aero wheels needed to cost the earth.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:

Personally, I'm a fan of FLO and the ethics of the Thornham brothers.
They set out with a fairly basic aim of providing good quality aero wheels at an affordable price and they have stuck to that at their own expense.
Sure, some people find it frustrating that they can't get a set when they want. But the fact remains that they have provided customers with an inexpensive option at a time when we were being told that aero wheels needed to cost the earth.

Agree on all points.
I have a lot of hours on a set of Flo 60's since lucking out and nabbing a pair in 2012. The wheels have been through all sorts of training in all seasons and conditions and have not needed to be trued yet. I tried twice for a pair of Flo 30's and missed those. I did not make me mad that I could not get a pair or upset for how the guys go about selling Flo wheels. I simply went to a friend and had a pair of HED Belgium wheels built that cost me a little more.

For the price that I paid for the Flo 60's and how they have held up it was a good value.
FWIW, I've never won a bid on ebay for things I wanted and didn't get upset. At least I got a pair of Flo's once :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to say I have really enjoyed watching the entrepreneurial spirit go from a seed to where you are now. Love to see this and wish you guys the best as you move forward!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it, Chris. Keep up the good work! The armchair business people on this forum will continue to hate...you'll continue to provide a great product at a great price with great customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
Love it, Chris. Keep up the good work! The armchair business people on this forum will continue to hate...you'll continue to provide a great product at a great price with great customer service.

x10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I like their prices the way they are.... we have plenty of overpriced stuff we can blow our money on and they are doing well.

I hope to snag a set of 30s one of these days for my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:

Hmmm.....or, possibly people with experience are offering advice in the hopes that FLO can survive and stop walking the financial tightrope.

Quote Reply

Prev Next