Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? so i guess a majority of the pros and FOP AG-ers must be off, too.

thanks for clearing that up.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:

I don't think you understand Flo's business. Pros will ride whatever gear a company pays them to ride.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 10, 16 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:

And this is the old Flo90. Tested independently from Flo in the Specialized Wind Tunnel. Lower is better....one wheel sticks out...

[Source: TomA]

Last edited by: trail: Jun 10, 16 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fruit salad. apples :: kiwi fruit + strawberries

Maybe tomA can indicate:
Why not compare Zipp808FC or 808NSW vs Flo9 (since this is the Flo fanboy page, but you could compare w/ Hed Jet9, etc.)
Or, why a Hed H3 when all other wheels are spoked?

Compare wheels of similar depths, lacing patterns, etc.

And again, I'll always, ALWAYS go w/ race-tested > wind tunnel tested every single time.
Specialized CLX w/ S-Works Turbo under a Shiv.
Or, Zipp 808 w/ Tangente tire on bike of choice?

What about looking at wheels/tires systems, not an assemblage of components?

Be critical before your Kool-Aide ferments. ;-)

Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 10, 16 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd still like to see a more real world, complete comparison as a consumer (Zipp 101, lol) but I get why they don't do it. The wheel actually on a bike would be nice too.

While I like seeing the data it falls incomplete in my book so you have to go with the blended average of what all the tests show. Flo makes some great valued wheels that ride really fast. So does Hed with a slightly higher price point. Zipp and Enve are a step over that price wise. Throw a GP4000 on all of them and call it a day. I think the tire comparison also confirms why we already know, GP 4000 is the best overall tire all things considered. Getting a puncture belt in exchange for 1 second over 40k is a fair tradeoff to the SS if you ride Flo wheels (and all the others IMO).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
And again, I'll always, ALWAYS go w/ race-tested > wind tunnel tested every single time.

I'll take ERO and A2 Wind Tunnel tested over race tested any day.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:

Well since you're now reaching to $4000 wheelsets (NSW) to try to find something that might beat the <$1000 wheelset........

Your choices aren't that great, in my opinion. S-Works Turbo tire is pretty aerodynamically awful and not among the best at rolling resistance. Tangente is OK, but not in the top tier.

I do have Zipp wheels. I use a Zipp 808FC / Zipp 900 with Tangente SL Speed tubulars as a backup wheels to my Flo 90/disc with Supersonics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

yeah i'm regretting buying a bunch of turbo cottons. should have stuck with gp4000s.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I'd still like to see a more real world, complete comparison as a consumer (Zipp 101, lol) but I get why they don't do it.

The only way to get a true real-world complete comparison is to spend the money to go to ERO/A2/LSWT with your own body and your own equipment.

Or do it yourself with somewhat less accuracy (which is what I do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Your choices aren't that great, in my opinion. S-Works Turbo tire is pretty aerodynamically awful and not among the best at rolling resistance. Tangente is OK, but not in the top tier.

Why do you think these examples are "my choices"? I guess that is your opinion?

http://velonews.competitor.com/...s-cycling-tires-fast

Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 10, 16 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you read Flo's study? Honest question.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
trail wrote:

Why do you think these examples are "my choices"? I guess that is your opinion?

http://velonews.competitor.com/...s-cycling-tires-fast

Always best to use studies that leave out the Conti SS, Attack, Force, TT if you want different tire choice to look good.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
jmh wrote:
Punch line:

So what you are saying is that I should run the 25mm gatorskin instead of 23mm?

Haha! Yes that pretty much sums up the study ;)

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Looking at the data as someone who isn't an engineer, how does the 4000S in 25mm at 17.37 watts test the same as the 4000S in 23mm at 17.76 watts, resulting in a virtual tie in terms of time. Is the aerodynamics of the 23mm better and makes up the difference in wattage?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed,
I get from that data - the supersonic is the best, maybe use the force at Kona with the higher yaws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I'd still like to see a more real world, complete comparison as a consumer (Zipp 101, lol) but I get why they don't do it. The wheel actually on a bike would be nice too.

While I like seeing the data it falls incomplete in my book so you have to go with the blended average of what all the tests show. Flo makes some great valued wheels that ride really fast. So does Hed with a slightly higher price point. Zipp and Enve are a step over that price wise. Throw a GP4000 on all of them and call it a day. I think the tire comparison also confirms why we already know, GP 4000 is the best overall tire all things considered. Getting a puncture belt in exchange for 1 second over 40k is a fair tradeoff to the SS if you ride Flo wheels (and all the others IMO).

Yes. I agree. I just bought 3 23mm SS's for my TT bike. I'd rather be one second slower (40K) and have the puncture protection of the 4000sII. The 4000sII has been my go to tire for years. I've mistakenly been seeking better. I have two S-Works Turbo 24mm tires too. I'll now use them on my road bike post-season in the fall; at least I hear they have good traction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Fruit salad. apples :: kiwi fruit + strawberries

Maybe tomA can indicate:
Why not compare Zipp808FC or 808NSW vs Flo9 (since this is the Flo fanboy page, but you could compare w/ Hed Jet9, etc.)
Or, why a Hed H3 when all other wheels are spoked?

Compare wheels of similar depths, lacing patterns, etc.

Specialized CLX w/ S-Works Turbo under a Shiv.
Or, Zipp 808 w/ Tangente tire on bike of choice?

What about looking at wheels/tires systems, not an assemblage of components?

The "why" about which particular wheel and tire combos were tested to generate that chart is answered here: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...playtime-part-1.html

Basically..."don't look a gift horse in the mouth" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

Looking at the data as someone who isn't an engineer, how does the 4000S in 25mm at 17.37 watts test the same as the 4000S in 23mm at 17.76 watts, resulting in a virtual tie in terms of time. Is the aerodynamics of the 23mm better and makes up the difference in wattage?

Yes. The aerodynamics of the 23 are better than the 25. On the chart below, the 23 is represented in orange. If you are interested, you can compare the aerodynamics of all of the tires tested in part 1 of this tire study.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Yes. The aerodynamics of the 23 are better than the 25. On the chart below, the 23 is represented in orange. If you are interested, you can compare the aerodynamics of all of the tires tested in part 1 of this tire study.

One thing I will say is this is by far the most complete tire comparison any wheel manufacturer has done to date (that I've seen) in a format that is pretty darn easy to read and understand. The same holds true for the wheels and all of the combos and race course testing you released. While there is some marketing in everything we see, this is about as transparent as you can get. Fast wheel. Competitive price. Wheel depth analysis based on terrain. Free tested tire advice. The only decision now is latex or butyl. If only everyone did this we could then spend all of our time debating testing procedures.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

You're not hearing

You're not
natethomas wrote:
I just bought a new Force/Attack set to replace my 4000S tires, but, based on this data, it looks like it may make the most sense to stay with a 4000S on the front and put the Force on the rear. These will be on a HED Jet 9 front and HED Jet disc.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You never know. Turbo cotton rear, supersonic front might be the gold standard.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
No.

You're not hearing

You're not
natethomas wrote:
I just bought a new Force/Attack set to replace my 4000S tires, but, based on this data, it looks like it may make the most sense to stay with a 4000S on the front and put the Force on the rear. These will be on a HED Jet 9 front and HED Jet disc.

Houston, do you copy? You are breaking up. Come again?

Over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I think the tire comparison also confirms why we already know, GP 4000 is the best overall tire all things considered. Getting a puncture belt in exchange for 1 second over 40k is a fair tradeoff to the SS if you ride Flo wheels (and all the others IMO).

I follow your logic.

Building on this, anyone else considering a GP 4000 / Force combo? Best case, you get a unicorn in the rear that rolls at .0029. And if not, the 1minute aero penalty of the Force over 112 miles (per Flo study 1) is mitigated by putting it on the rear wheel.

Or, keep it simple and just roll dual GP 4000.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did I make a mistake running turbo cottons on a zipp 808 FC and super 9 (24 mm front, 26 mm rear)? I used to run 23 mm gp4000's.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 2 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
So did I make a mistake running turbo cottons on a zipp 808 FC and super 9 (24 mm front, 26 mm rear)? I used to run 23 mm gp4000's.

Depends on how fast you are and what you expect your average yaw angles to be...but, probably not :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next