Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did he say child molester again...?

But besides the semantic issue, I don't know how people can ignore the fact that doping gains can last for life.

I'm okay letting the guy live his life, but it shouldn't be in professional sport anymore.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Sep 17, 23 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I ask this as a genuine question, I’m not totally sure what my own opinion is.

Do people deserve a second chance? His doping infringement was, what, two decades ago? He served his ban, let him be.

Orrrr….yes, let him be as a human being, but not in professional sport.

I can argue it both ways. Interested to hear what side of the fence others are on.
I don't think every doping violation should result in a lifetime ban, but that should 100% be on the table. Racing at a pro level isn't a right. No one is entitled to competing. If you've shown you're willing to cheat then no, I don't think anyone owes them forgiveness or a second chance.

This isn't even factoring in the potential physical benefits that stick around years after the doping.

This is a completely different situation from felons and such getting a second chance at living a decent life. No one is entitled to be a pro. Take that away if they break the trust.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davegibb26.2 wrote:
The guy made a bad choice a long long time ago. If he's clean now and he served his penance then he gets to do whatever's coming to him. Do not get mad at the person because the rules don't have the same pound of flesh that you're looking for. Lobby for rule change that is a lifetime ban. People make mistakes and make bad choices and they pay the price, this desire to see someone continually be punished for something they did a long long time ago makes no sense to me

I for one am not angry at Weiss but I choose to boycott his sports career until one of us kicks the bucket or he quits triathlon. (Not that it matters to anyone). Rules are rules, he can race, but public attitudes towards him racing can and perhaps should be different from his legal situation.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apples and oranges....

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a horrendous analogy.

I think that deserves a retraction.
Quote Reply
Re: [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
While much depends on the nature and extent of the violation, I’m pretty sure I’d feel I deserve a second chance.

In my case I like to think I'd pick another sport or something. Move on. CrossFit is fun.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 17, 23 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Would you let someone that’s a registered sex offender due to a conviction 10 years ago babysit your child? If no, why?

you leave Brett Sutton out of this

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Would you let someone that’s a registered sex offender due to a conviction 10 years ago babysit your child? If no, why?

you leave Brett Sutton out of this

Excellently played.
Quote Reply
Re: [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that he can race but IMHO once a doper always a doper. And I find it annoying that at 42 years of age even with a short swim he manages 4h01m on the bike and 2h39m in the marathon and he is no Frodeno. Please someone tell me that it was short for my peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Are you familiar with analogies?

That was what we call a "really bad analogy".

A professional athlete wanting to push boundaries to win is very human and quite common.

Wanting to diddle kids is unnatural and a perversion of human nature.

But yes, back to your question, it is still an analogy...

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: [ex]Doper Wins IM Maryland [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not a fan of Weiss and I don’t believe he should be allowed to race as a pro. Especially considering he has never seemed to fully own up to it publicly.

But I would rather focus our energy on those that are currently skirting the system and have yet to be caught or outed publicly. They are out there, the system just needs to get better.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
apples and oranges....

Double letters

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

This is by far the worst analogy. Really? Doing PEDs is a as bad as raping a kid? You have issues dude.

As for the guy, I mean, he did his time. Not a fan of him, but if he is being tested as much as other guys and stays negative....let him race. I agree with stevej, I think it is more important to focus on improving the system to catch more offenders.

As someone else posted, Sam Long has a lot of work to do if he can't even win against a b level field with a reduced swim. M Weiss is a beast of an athlete, but a long way from the a list.
Quote Reply
Re: [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

This is by far the worst analogy. Really? Doing PEDs is a as bad as raping a kid? You have issues dude

Sex offender does not necessarily mean pedophile; it also includes sexual assault, public lewdness, online "misbehavior" perhaps?

Either way, I'd say "nope, you're not coming to my house, or anywhere near it"

As far as PEDs go, I heard a take on Pablo Torre's new podcast last week from Dan LeBatard

"With all the outrage against A-Rod over his PED use, all he had to do to fix his image was to start dating J-Lo"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I ask this as a genuine question, I’m not totally sure what my own opinion is.

Do people deserve a second chance? His doping infringement was, what, two decades ago? He served his ban, let him be.

Orrrr….yes, let him be as a human being, but not in professional sport.

I can argue it both ways. Interested to hear what side of the fence others are on.

this is where i land on it.

it's absolutely true that according to the rules of the sport at the moment, he's perfectly within his rights to race.

but personally, i wish he wouldn't. my feeling is that when he doped - not in an 'accidentally took non-drowsy cold medication' way - he breached the trust of our community. i feel the same way about lance (and about brett sutton, for that matter). i don't specifically wish him ill, and wouldn't begrudge him going off and being an account or plumber or whatever, but my feeling is that our sport should be closed off to people who have damaged it.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rules are the rules, and all the rules are rules. Including both the rule that forbids banned substances and and the rule that allows you to compete once you have completed your ban.

If you do not like some of those rules, just lobby to try having them changed.
Quote Reply
Re: [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobo wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Are you familiar with analogies?

That was what we call a "really bad analogy".

A professional athlete wanting to push boundaries to win is very human and quite common.

Wanting to diddle kids is unnatural and a perversion of human nature.

But yes, back to your question, it is still an analogy...

-bobo

I’ve never said anything in this thread about “diddling kids” but you keep reading what you want to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

This is by far the worst analogy. Really? Doing PEDs is a as bad as raping a kid? You have issues dude.

As for the guy, I mean, he did his time. Not a fan of him, but if he is being tested as much as other guys and stays negative....let him race. I agree with stevej, I think it is more important to focus on improving the system to catch more offenders.

As someone else posted, Sam Long has a lot of work to do if he can't even win against a b level field with a reduced swim. M Weiss is a beast of an athlete, but a long way from the a list.

It seems the second half of the year didn’t go as well as the first half. All the residuals he had from getting coached by Dan Plews seemed to have faded. Maybe time to get a coach again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Can you point to where I made some assertion about “raping a kid?” I’ll wait. But also, you’re gross.
Quote Reply
Re: [ex]Doper Wins IM Maryland [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed he did so well. It's not like he cleans up at most races. He often DNFs with various excuses from the impressions I've gotten.

He is supposed to be a great bike, but again, that's been very inconsistent lately from the little I've paid attention.

So, it's great for him and his family to have a good result.

Surprised Sam Long didn't win this one, but he had mentioned in the past he had some metabolic issues at the full distance. It's a shame he didn't stick with Plews (who was not advocating keto training, but 2-3 initial lower carb weeks, which would have obviously impacted Sam's oceanside 70.3 race) to see how he could transform his metabolism full Ironman.

Anyway, I think I'm more curious to see how Sam will do in Kona than Weiss, but it's still impressive to see him get the win.

Regarding doping, we all probably have that inner voice wondering if they are all doing it, and only a small group get caught. So I don't take much stock in indignation at this case. It's totally not fair, presuming there are clean top level athletes out there, for me to have to suspend disbelief in this way. But we all know how difficult it is to actually catch someone, so it seems likely it's either very wide spread or the sporting world is blessed with a high number of extremely ethical top performers.
Quote Reply
Re: [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I’m not a fan of Weiss and I don’t believe he should be allowed to race as a pro. Especially considering he has never seemed to fully own up to it publicly.

But I would rather focus our energy on those that are currently skirting the system and have yet to be caught or outed publicly. They are out there, the system just needs to get better.

Weiss is a great example of a failed system that constantly gets put on display. I think spending some energy on a reminder of who he is is not a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
The rules are the rules, and all the rules are rules. Including both the rule that forbids banned substances and and the rule that allows you to compete once you have completed your ban.

If you do not like some of those rules, just lobby to try having them changed.

So what? I'm still very allowed to think the rules are wrong, want them to change, and criticize the fact that dopers are allowed to compete.

Complete strawman. No one is saying it's against the rules for him to compete. We're saying it sucks, and that it should be.

What's are your feelings on the actual point of this post? Do you agree with the rule that allows him to compete? I don't.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Sep 17, 23 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you live, but here in Canada:
sex offender means a person who is subject to an order or to an obligation under section 490.019 or 490.02901 of the Criminal Code , section 227.06 of the National Defence Act or section 36.1 of the International Transfer of Offenders Act . ( délinquant sexuel) sexual offence against a child
So now you are defending sex offenders to try to justify your silly analogy...dude..you have issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Not sure where you live, but here in Canada:
sex offender means a person who is subject to an order or to an obligation under section 490.019 or 490.02901 of the Criminal Code , section 227.06 of the National Defence Act or section 36.1 of the International Transfer of Offenders Act . ( délinquant sexuel) sexual offence against a child
So now you are defending sex offenders to try to justify your silly analogy...dude..you have issues.

K I’ll keep waiting for you to point out where I said raping a kid. Which even feels gross to type.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Sep 17, 23 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I will keep pointing out at what it means to be a registered sex offender here in Canada =o)

I think it's a horrible analogy to simply try to make your point. But anyway, it's what came to your mind. We can agree to disagree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next