Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90% of riding indoor? That sounds awful. I'm sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Strave, the way it displays workouts, laps etc. is great. I download data to garmin connect but I use Strava for all keeping my data.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No GPS unit on the bike. Actually, no computer of any kind on the bike.

Me neither, I stick it in my pocket.

I think Strava is great. Super easy to keep track of what I've done, and some extra motivation if I want to go hard. I recently used it on a trip to find good routes. And it's great for looking at races to see how they went. I don't understand why people think it's only social media, I don't use it for that.

Some people seem to have mental issues about it though, thinking they always have to go for a PR or something.

Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:

I'm actually quite happy with it. It's time efficient, I have full control over power while doing intervals (Computrainer erg + TR), and for long rides I watch movies or television shows :)
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This time of year is super windy where I live. Yesterday for example the 1/2 hour warm up at avg 190 watts was good for 22kmh.

This used to be so demoralizing with a computer showing me speed. Now I see nothing other than lap time, and power. I find riding into the wind, with the wind, cross wind etc. no longer bothers me as power is power.

Keeps me far more disciplined as well as I would always try to drive my avg speed up at the expense of pushing to hard and getting tired before the workout proceding, or wear myself out for the next day etc. . When training speed and strava segments mean nothing. It is a freedom I wish I had always had.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
When I cut the course to win my next marathon I don't want documentary evidence that I'm not really that fast.

Obviously you're not using it properly. I did a sky marathon last week and Strava gave me 4km for free and over an hour off my time.

Amateur..:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
1. I'm already bad enough/fed up with managing my training data.
2. I do 90%+ of my riding indoors
3. If anything I need to do more long slow distance if I want to race faster. I'm a sled-dog. I don't need much of an excuse to run my body into the ground. Seeing other people's times would be like catnip to me and would result in every damn workout being a tempo workout.... even if I'm not nearly fast enough to challenge some of those times, lol.
+1.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's telling to me that so many non-strava users think strava is only about KOM's and data analysis. It may be for some people but it's definitely not for me. Strava for me is about motivation. KOM's mean nothing to me. Getting updates on all the badass workouts people are doing is where it is at. Following people like Chris Borden (strava legend and ironman super amateur), training partners, and area endurance athletes continues to drive me and be proud of the amazing athletes that walk among us. It's a support group and a place to share triumphs and failures.

As another poster noted...if you can't do an easy workout because you're worried about strava KOMs you've got more issues than strava in your life.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I only race with a number on me.

- its different conditions, sometimes draft, and who cares how hard you can ride or run a small portion of someone else's long ride or run.
You've never tested yourself on a particular hill, loop or segment? Long before Strava I had a number of hills of varying lengths I would use to gauge form. Strava makes it so much easier to look at all your past results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Silvercivic27 wrote:

I'm actually quite happy with it. It's time efficient, I have full control over power while doing intervals (Computrainer erg + TR), and for long rides I watch movies or television shows :)

Maybe true, but the point of riding inside is to ride better outside, and if only 1/10 of your rides are outside, or <1 time per week if you ride once per day, I feel bad for you. It means that your life is too busy and you're missing the point of riding a bicycle, which is riding outside, not watching movies on a Computrainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to vehemently against the idea of Strava particularly for the KOM stuff. I'm very much of the mindset that training is training and racing should only be reserved for when you pin on a number.

However, it is a really convenient tool for sharing your training data with others. Its a nice go to answer for when friends ask "what would you recommend for an XXXX session?" As I write the session in the title I can just point them to Strava.

I put all my training data on Strava and I think it's quite humbling to have everything easily accessible to all. You're not going to be bragging about your FTP if everyone can see all of your tests, no tall story's about huge training weeks either when anyone can browse through and see exactly how much you have done. It's also a good motivator knowing that if you screw up your workout/ miss you power targets then anyone who looks will know.

I still don't get the KOM thing though, but as I barely have enough power to sprint out of a wet paper bag its not something that's on my radar.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a great scene in Caddyshack:

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrown wrote:
1) Doing all my riding on the trainer for 10ish hours/week provides for a really boring account
2) *see above*

I used it for about 2 weeks, and it was fun to follow pros and see their training. But, my account was too boring to maintain. "90min trainer ride with 2x20" or "3hrs trainer ride with last hour hard" just wasn't interesting.

I do use the ST log, but that's not as much of a social thing. Also, I like its user interface better. With Strava I found it tedious to edit an incorrect entry without deleting (ie if I logged the date wrong or the activity choice wrong).

Also, the ST log is tied into a website I regularly use, which makes it easier to log on and put in my workouts.

I think Strava is awesome. Just not for my training method. All trainer rides, ride by feel on hard intervals. I have a HR monitor but it doesn't rule me, since there's so much change in day to day based on sleep, etc. Run pretty much the same loops. Swim a fair bit (99.9% pool). I don't live in an area that's conducive to almost any riding outside, at least, definitely not alone.

This. I'm too boring for strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather ask my friends how their riding is going than talk to them about more interesting things.

I hate going to a new city and being able to scout popular cycle routes.

I hate going to a race knowing the elevation profile.

Someone who uses Strava made me mad so now I get butthurt about it every ride.

I have zero discipline so I'd ride too hard a lot.

I can't count.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
Trispoke wrote:
1. I don't need external validation
2. It gives athletes a false sense accomplishment and often wrecks workouts
3. It's just one more ME ME ME platform. No thanks

Anything is a ME ME ME platform if a person is an asshole. If a person is cool, all of these social media sites can be US US US platforms. And that community is so powerful in adding meaning/purpose to the otherwise mundane passage of time.

Through Strava/Facebook, I have met so many wonderful people and friends. THAT is what it's about. Well, that plus seeing the offset between friends' moving/elapsed time and calculating how long it takes them to poop in the bushes.

Seems that everyone has ignored your post, so I'm putting it back here because it's spot on. I've met some really cool folks (as well as complete jerks) thanks to social media, and I have friends a bit everywhere so it's cool to see how their training is going and give encouragements etc. every so often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. not sure exactly what it is but i think it is bike related and since there is only 1 road here i dont see the use of it.
2. see 1
3. see 1

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care about what others are doing on Strava, I like it because it shows my mileage and pace plus it keeps track of my shoe mileage.

I don't use it on the bike

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw someone's KOM on a mixed use trail where a runner/walker was struck and killed by a cyclist passing on the right a couple of months prior.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed as well, Francois. It's been fun for me, especially as I've become more and more cycling-centric.

It *is* annoying when Dave has like 17 events in a single day from warmups, cool downs, cake, farts, hills and other humorous notes. (I'm kidding about the complaining... seriously)

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[http://www.forbes.com/...nts-track-its-users/]

I read last week in Forbes (article is from July 2014) that Strava is selling aggregated and anonymized ride data to cities and counties for 80 cents per rider per year.

The article said Strava is the largest single database of bicyclists (although I suspect they are getting only the Spandex strata -- I could be wrong) and governments that care about complete streets that include bikes on equal footing with cars could learn a lot from the data.

But I'm still a bit weirded out about it. I'm on Strava, but I don't upload rides anymore. Not for a privacy reason, I've just reached saturation on the websites I'm using.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for someone who doesn't care about KOMs, or even improving their own performance, is there a better phone app out there for saving and sharing routes? we're thinknig of getting my mother in law to start using strava for her walks and hikes, and CRs are the last thing on her mind. I like strava more than Map My Ride/Run or any of the other apps i've tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Now you __________________
Negatives:

• Support for Garmin multisport devices is crap (see: pool workouts; ows; …)
  • Support for non-GPS activities is crap (see: treadmill running; trainer workouts; …)
  • "Premium" features lack real premium features (see: HRV/RR activities w/o Firstbeat or such analysis; training schedules; workout creation; private activity sharing with club/coach; …)
  • Lack of advanced privacy modes (all activities either shared with the world or with your "connections"; no concept of "private clubs")
  • "Running Races" is a joke. Even when 500+ athletes log the same swim/bike/run on the same day and against the same route, Strava cannot figure out post-fact that "Hey, maybe there was a race going on; let's find out what that was and group all these activities together." Why can't I still find my AG's swim/bike/run splits (with elevation/pace/power) all in one spot for any given race that I'm interested in. Ditto for any club rides / runs / etc.

Positives
  • Web UI more refined and more functional than Garmin's
  • Mobile app better than Garmin's
  • Friends get friends to use Strava by word of mouth, and usually those friends stick with Strava

One would hope that one day there will be a Great On-Line Training/Logging Consolidation event, where TrainingPeaks/Strava/Garmin/MapMyFitness/… coalesce and we're left with just two or three really great logging/training platforms. Right now none of the platforms offers a comprehensive one-stop solution to cover the whole gamut from casual exercisers to professional athletes. Maybe there's no need for (or money in) such a diverse, tiered solution.

(Edit: s/Starve/Strava/g)
Last edited by: uucee: Apr 19, 15 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
The article said Strava is the largest single database of bicyclists (although I suspect they are getting only the Spandex strata -- I could be wrong) and governments that care about complete streets that include bikes on equal footing with cars could learn a lot from the data.
Wired:
Strava’s Cycling App Is Helping Cities Build Better Bike Lanes

Quote:
Users with privacy concerns may not be thrilled to know Strava is selling data, but Strava scrubs personal information before it goes out. What’s more, once cyclist is, from a computing standpoint, indistinguishable from another, once he’s on the street, so you can’t follow a specific person for the duration of a ride.
The claim is that even though the sample skews to the spandex crowd, there are enough recreational cyclists on commute routes (on and off commute hours) to yield meaningful data for planning.
Maybe the Android Wear / Apple Watch / Microsoft Band users' data will be similarly aggregated down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's only one thing I hate about strava, and that's MBTers who occupy the top tens on sections. BECAUSE THEY DIDNT TURN THEIR GARMINS OFF WHEN THEY DROVE HOME. Gits.

Apart from that, it's all good fun to go out and rip up a segment to measure fitness. And yes, if you can't ride easy when you're supposed to ride easy, you need to have a word with yourself.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I have used Garmin in the car Strava sends me a note to invalidate thr ride.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply

Prev Next