Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava
Quote | Reply
Me first

1. Heard it causes cancer in labrats.
  2. Heard it causes depression in triathletes.
  3. Just what I need another god-damned thing to think of when riding.
  4. Would jeopardize my standing in witness protection program.

Now you __________________

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run with friends who don't have to brag or come up short
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all a bit too showy offy for me. "Ooo look at me and what I did".

It's like the training equivalent of posting photos of your meals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to stay under the radar, besides there are other more
important aspects in life to be a douche canoe at.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Apr 18, 15 20:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I'm way too cool.
2. I love to say "like, I don't even have a Strava account"
3. No one sees my power data but me. I don't want the other pros to know my secrets.
4. Criticizing shit I've never tried is fun!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [H. Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they don't put enough cones out on the course ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just.Not.Necessary. For me.

That was easy. It's possible to enjoy the sport without kudos from others, ranking, or making data / power analysis your 2nd job.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No GPS unit on the bike. Actually, no computer of any kind on the bike.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because in just a few short months Zwift has already surpassed Strava in stupid-silly. why bother with lesser?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I already knew I was MOP without seeing myself MOP on every segment I stumble across
2. One less username/password to remember/write down on my secret piece of paper
3. I can spend the time I would have spent pouring over my rides and runs on Strava reading the ST forums instead

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blasphemers all of you. May you burn at the stake!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Me first

1. Heard it causes cancer in labrats.
  2. Heard it causes depression in triathletes.
  3. Just what I need another god-damned thing to think of when riding.
  4. Would jeopardize my standing in witness protection program.

Now you __________________

No shame here, I love it! Hammering a segment once in a while is good for your spirit. Haters gonna hate

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Don't care for the social media aspect; better analysis tools elsewhere; want to structure my rides to meet my training goals--don't want to *race* every time I'm on the bike; I want to own my data.

If you're not mature enough to go easy on your easy days, Strava isn't your biggest problem.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer: Apr 18, 15 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love Strava......
1. Logs all my workouts
2. I can see what my friends are doing without having to sit around talking about nothing but training.
3. Don't have too big an ego that I care all that much about KOMs

Pretty sure Strava cured my cancer.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I cut the course to win my next marathon I don't want documentary evidence that I'm not really that fast.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's four.

It kills my battery.
Don't have time to analyze another data site.
People who steal KOMs in their car.

Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
It's all a bit too showy offy for me. "Ooo look at me and what I did".

It's like the training equivalent of posting photos of your meals.

Fair enough. I do both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only race with a number on me.

- its different conditions, sometimes draft, and who cares how hard you can ride or run a small portion of someone else's long ride or run.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Last edited by: Triathletetoth: Apr 18, 15 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How 'bout:
I just don't care about what other riders are doing on the roads compared to me.
(repeat 2 more times to get to your '3 reasons' requirement)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With no real climbs in Ann Arbor the KOM is usually he who found the biggest tailwind.

That being said, dick measuring can be fun sometimes so I do use it on occasion :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I don't need external validation
2. It gives athletes a false sense accomplishment and often wrecks workouts
3. It's just one more ME ME ME platform. No thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Enough already!!! Three reasons why you will YOU will never use Strava [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
1. I don't need external validation
2. It gives athletes a false sense accomplishment and often wrecks workouts
3. It's just one more ME ME ME platform. No thanks

Anything is a ME ME ME platform if a person is an asshole. If a person is cool, all of these social media sites can be US US US platforms. And that community is so powerful in adding meaning/purpose to the otherwise mundane passage of time.

Through Strava/Facebook, I have met so many wonderful people and friends. THAT is what it's about. Well, that plus seeing the offset between friends' moving/elapsed time and calculating how long it takes them to poop in the bushes.

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Doing all my riding on the trainer for 10ish hours/week provides for a really boring account
2) *see above*

I used it for about 2 weeks, and it was fun to follow pros and see their training. But, my account was too boring to maintain. "90min trainer ride with 2x20" or "3hrs trainer ride with last hour hard" just wasn't interesting.

I do use the ST log, but that's not as much of a social thing. Also, I like its user interface better. With Strava I found it tedious to edit an incorrect entry without deleting (ie if I logged the date wrong or the activity choice wrong).

Also, the ST log is tied into a website I regularly use, which makes it easier to log on and put in my workouts.

I think Strava is awesome. Just not for my training method. All trainer rides, ride by feel on hard intervals. I have a HR monitor but it doesn't rule me, since there's so much change in day to day based on sleep, etc. Run pretty much the same loops. Swim a fair bit (99.9% pool). I don't live in an area that's conducive to almost any riding outside, at least, definitely not alone.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I'm already bad enough/fed up with managing my training data.
2. I do 90%+ of my riding indoors
3. If anything I need to do more long slow distance if I want to race faster. I'm a sled-dog. I don't need much of an excuse to run my body into the ground. Seeing other people's times would be like catnip to me and would result in every damn workout being a tempo workout.... even if I'm not nearly fast enough to challenge some of those times, lol.
Quote Reply

Prev Next