Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ERO's test of VeloVetta
Quote | Reply
Adding some additional thoughts I have had at the top of this post here. Original post begins below this new addition.

During my first watch, the introduction to the ERO video had me fearing the worst. So I was surprised to find, as I kept watching, that the results were actually great for VeloVetta. In summary, here are the outcomes:

· vs. S-Works Exos – VeloVetta wins by 1%
· vs. S-Works laceup, modified with integrated zip - VeloVetta wins by 1%
· vs. Shimano Velcro Tri shoe - VeloVetta wins by 1.9%
· vs. S-Works laceup with elastic laces - unresolved anomalous result (I'll explain below)

Sounds good to me. So I’m puzzled by the tone of the video, which leaves the viewer with the impression that the result is disastrous for VeloVetta even before any data is presented.

ERO’s outcomes confirm what our CFD and wind tunnel tests also found – that the shoe represents a reduction in aerodynamic drag, so everything seems to line up. In fact, VeloVetta beat even stiffer competition this time around than we did in the wind tunnel. In June, Jim told me that the Exos is one of the fastest shoes he's ever tested. So beating that shoe, even by "only" 1% of total rider drag, seems like a win to me. Same thing with the first modified S-Works laceup, though the video glosses over that result for some reason. Changing from laces to a well-integrated zipper does not affect the overall frontal area or shape of the shoe. This shoe has often tested very fast. So a 1% win is solid, as is a 1.9% win over the tri shoe. I’m very pleased by these outcomes, and I worry that the grim tenor of the video gives the impression that VeloVetta got walloped when Jim’s results actually demonstrate the opposite.

Additionally, I want to address the test that pitted VeloVetta against the S-Works laceup with elastic laces. This trial measured 3% lower drag and was described as a "trouncing" in the video. And, to his credit, Jim did run this one twice. But the result deserves more scrutiny before publishing. It suggests that swapping laces for a concealed zipper on the S-Works laceup, without changing any frontal area or overall shoe shape, increases total rider drag by 4%. Consider that frontal area for a pair of shoes is around 7% of the total. Is that credible? The laces as a boundary layer trip cannot explain that, even if it were more than just conjecture. Should we not look for other reasons? Power meter issues are a likely place to start. Two people so far have suggested to me that it appears that the shoe may be touching the pod on the pedal power meter - 9:47 in the video - maybe all the time, maybe just with some pedal float, which would invalidate the data. Q-factor issue? Rider position issue? When an outlier result that appears invalid on its face arises, it should be excluded until the cause can be determined. Actually, we faced a similar situation in the wind tunnel: one very surprising outlier cropped up and, after consideration, we opted not to publish it.

Original post:

Hi guys -
I figured I would post this here myself. Jim tested our shoes and published these results:

VeloVetta Vs. Specialized Exos - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. S-Works laceup modified with a zipper - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. Shimano strapped tri shoe - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1.9%
VeloVetta vs. modified S-Works laceup with toungue cut out and elastic laces - S-works reduced drag by 3% (EDIT: I previously erroneously said this was a Giro shoe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiMB1_TvEE

But perhaps the thing that was most troubling to me was that most of his riders reported pain in the medial arch area of the foot. This is very surprising for me.

I've sold somewhere around 120 pairs so far, and not a single person has complained of this to me. So I'm pretty puzzled by this outcome. It makes me worry that there is something wrong with the pair that were bought and was used for the test, but I have not had a chance to inspect them yet. Hopefully I will. I think this could also significantly affect test results because if your foot really hurts a lot, you are going to change something to make it feel better - either how you pedal, or hold your knee or something. Anyway, this aspect of the test is really boggling my mind as not a single customer has indicated this to be true for them.
Anyway, the results are what they are. Aero testing of a shoe can vary from rider to rider.

Ultimately I have created a shoe that is aerodynamic, comfortable and has a closure system that works great for triathletes. I'm proud of the product. It's not going to be the absolute lowest drag option for every single rider vs every shoe in the world. But I think we have a combination of features that make it the right choice for a significant number of triathletes to improve their performance. If the elastic laces and cut out tongue work for you, that is also great.

Cheers.

Edit - One point to make about the test vs. the Giro - The test did not have the same two models of shoes on all three riders so really this is 3 individual test, not a series of comparable tests. And because results can vary a lot from rider to rider, it can be hard to draw any hard conclusions from this test. The test vs. the Giro was one test with one rider. Therefore you cannot necessarily say someone else testing those same two shoes will have the same result.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 2, 23 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The honesty of this post would make me buy a pair,. Just as a sign of support the entrepreneurships of you……it is just that taxes and shipping to the EU are so ridiculously expensive……

Shoes and fit are so personal so what one person likes can be nothing at all for another.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, what % savings did you see against your tester shoes? I see watt savings on the website, but no way to convert to % (unless I'm missing something)

I'd also hazard that Jim's athletes would be relatively already optimized - e.g. they've already picked the optimal shoe for them, and now you're comparing against each athlete's optimal shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed- thank you for being so communicative and up front about your product. Definitely inspires confidence.
Jim- it would be interesting to have an "aero shoe shootout"- testing Bont, Velovetta, and the Giro empire lace up (or others) and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks to both of you the work you are doing

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ed! I'm just starting to watch this video now. I've been in your shoes for the last two months through all my hard and long training rides and my last two races (2:09 and 2:10 bike splits). I have not noticed any pain in the medial arch area either.

I have not aero tested the Velovetta's yet, but I've been a fan of them so far. I find them very comfortable throughout the ride and I'm so quick getting into these shoes on the fly after crossing the mount line out of t1!

Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim is mostly testing against more slippery shoes than I tested against in the tunnel. But my fastest competitor in my test was the S-works road shoe with BOAs. At 0 degrees yaw were about 1.5% lower drag. The power numbers vary greatly by speed, so I like Jim's effort to report % of drag difference.

The overall results I posted were not at a single yaw point but at a weighted average of yaw based on Flo's info on the distribution of yaw typically seen over a loop course, so the 1.5% i reference to above is a bit more of a simplified data point.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [jmonda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmonda wrote:
Hi Ed! I'm just starting to watch this video now. I've been in your shoes for the last two months through all my hard and long training rides and my last two races (2:09 and 2:10 bike splits). I have not noticed any pain in the medial arch area either.

I have not aero tested the Velovetta's yet, but I've been a fan of them so far. I find them very comfortable throughout the ride and I'm so quick getting into these shoes on the fly after crossing the mount line out of t1!

Thank you! And you have had some very impressive results too!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed,

I haven't had a chance to watch Jim's video yet but will need to watch it when I have a chance. Thank you for for sharing this and your opinions and comments on the video!

I've been in your shoes for about 3 months and really like them. I had one of the wires fail on me but you had alraedy sent the new ones, they literally arrived the day before I had a failure, good timing and thank you for being proactive. They are definitely a little "fiddly" to get setup, I still have a little more fine tuning to do to get the tongue to sit just right and keep everything snug and aligned without crushing the top of my foot.

In my first couple of rides I did notice some foot pain I hadn't experienced with my old shoes, but with the addition of the same Specialied arch supports that I had in my old shoes, they fit much better. I wish the insoles in your shoes were removable, but laying the inserts on top hasn't caused me any issues. The other thing I noticed that could influece some pain is that "all the way back" for the cleats is much further back than my old shoes (Fiziks). I think this change to my fit caused some discomfort at first but as I adapted I believe it is a better all-around fit at this point.

To summarize, I really like the shoes. I have no idea if they're truly faster as I haven't taken them to the wind-tunnel to compare, but going off of this information it seems like they are likely slightly faster at least. The closure mechanism takes some time to get just right (at home), but it is very fast in a race. I'm optimistic it will hold up to multiple seasons of racing and getting bounced off the pavement in T2, but only time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot. The insoles in my shoes ARE removeable. You just need to work to get your fingernails (or something) around the edge. They are not glued in or anything, they just fit against the sides really well.

Thanks for mentioning the setup of the shoe. There is a one-time setup procedure to get them to operate optimally. There's a video on my website about how to do it. But people really seem not to have much of a problem with it, which has been a big relief to me.

Sorry about that wire issue. The wires that the factory originally shipped the shoes with were not what we had tested on the prototypes and they turned out to be too weak. I think there was a bit of a cross-communication issue. But I got replacements out to every customer as fast as I could and now all shoes ship with the new, much much stronger wires in them. I noticed the shoes in the video still had the old wires in them, though I did send out the new ones for them back in June.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 31, 23 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good note on the insoles! I didn't want damage the board trying to rip off a glued in insole, I'll get more aggresive with them this afternoon.

Regarding the closure, I can definitely see why that was your concern. But the process makes sense and really isn't hard, just takes a little time and some trial and error. It's definitely tougher than "put the shoe on and twist the boas", lol.

Ya, I didn't appreciate how thin the original wires were until the new ones showed up, these are much mroe substantial and I can't see one breaking. FWIW, I was in the middle of a long, hilly training ride when the wire broke and had no issues riding them "broken" the 50mi and 5000' back to the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the Exos. For what it's worth I believe it's no longer in production.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
The honesty of this post would make me buy a pair,. Just as a sign of support the entrepreneurships of you……it is just that taxes and shipping to the EU are so ridiculously expensive……

Shoes and fit are so personal so what one person likes can be nothing at all for another.

Jeroen

Amen. Josh Poertner (Silca) really counseled me on this test encouraging me to go forward with it for the integrity of the channel even though I was hesitant. One thing he said to me certainly stood out and really resonates now. He said you’ll learn all about who he (Ed) is by how he reacts. I wasn’t even going to post the results here, though I knew someone would. Never thought it would be Ed. Very cool.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Hi guys -

I figured I would post this here myself. Jim tested our shoes and published these results:

VeloVetta Vs. Specialized Exos - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. Specialized laceup modified with a zipper - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1%
VeloVetta vs. Shimano strapped tri shoe - VeloVetta reduced drag by 1.9%
VeloVetta vs. modified Giro empire with toungue cut out and elastic laces - Giro reduced drag by 3%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiMB1_TvEE

But perhaps the thing that was most troubling to me was that most of his riders reported pain in the medial arch area of the foot. This is very surprising for me.

I've sold somewhere around 120 pairs so far, and not a single person has complained of this to me. So I'm pretty puzzled by this outcome. It makes me worry that there is something wrong with the pair that were bought and was used for the test, but I have not had a chance to inspect them yet. Hopefully I will. I think this could also significantly affect test results because if your foot really hurts a lot, you are going to change something to make it feel better - either how you pedal, or hold your knee or something. Anyway, this aspect of the test is really boggling my mind as not a single customer has indicated this to be true for them.
Anyway, the results are what they are. Aero testing of a shoe can vary from rider to rider.

Ultimately I have created a shoe that is aerodynamic, comfortable and has a closure system that works great for triathletes. I'm proud of the product. It's not going to be the absolute lowest drag option for every single rider vs every shoe in the world. But I think we have a combination of features that make it the right choice for a significant number of triathletes to improve their performance. If the elastic laces and cut out tongue work for you, that is also great.

Cheers.

Edit - One point to make about the test vs. the Giro - The test did not have the same two models of shoes on all three riders so really this is 3 individual test, not a series of comparable tests. And because results can vary a lot from rider to rider, it can be hard to draw any hard conclusions from this test. The test vs. the Giro was one test with one rider. Therefore you cannot necessarily say someone else testing those same two shoes will have the same result.

Fluo green would have reduced drag by 10% ;)

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

I get pain in most cycling shoes - its nothing to do with the shoe but the insoles which rarely have any arch support. I started using these after a fitter put them in my shoes and all my pain went away. Very expensive but well worth it for those who need more support in their cycling shoes.

https://www.shoeinsoles.co.uk/G8_2620_medium.html?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8anBhCFARIsAKbbpyQF-6pM1eiAcPJq5QMt6OALobwlNLURVo4LZ9C_G8rsNsXbwWUkj5caAmepEALw_wcB

I don't think its anything to do with your shoe in particular, its probably the rider who needs more support.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could also be too much support. I love how stiff Bonts are but they don't work for me. The shoe digs into my arch every time and this is even if I throw in an insole. The other thing is that the arch support location of the shoe just might not be in the right location, not every foot is the same which is why some people just really need the G8s or Custom footbeds.
Last edited by: C_lo99: Sep 1, 23 0:50
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [C_lo99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C_lo99 wrote:
It could also be too much support. I love how stiff Bonts are but they don't work for me. The shoe digs into my arch every time and this is even if I throw in an insole. The other thing is that the arch support location of the shoe just might not be in the right location, not every foot is the same which is why some people just really need the G8s or Custom footbeds.
why dont you mold the bonts to your feet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what everyone was expecting. The frontal area of feet varies between cyclists and through the pedaling cycle, but it's it's in the 4 to 7% range. So all you have to play with is the improvement on Cd of that tiny area. Even if you improve it by 50%, which is huge, your watts savings are caped at around 3.5%.

With something like a shoe that moves around through the stroke, it can never be quite clean, so texture plays a big role.

If I were to design an improvement to this shoe I would first try three beads/ridges 2.5mm thick, spaced by 5mm apart running in an arc from 1cm off the side of the shoe at the front to where laces normally stop at the top.

I think this is the most aero shoe out there, or it can be with a few tweaks. I will be buying a pair.
Last edited by: Runorama: Sep 1, 23 3:58
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

Same issue here, shipping is approximately 50$ if I remember from the other thread, making it about $350 (given the discount at the moment) over which we have to pay various taxes. The import tax is up to 17% (depending on the material) then we get VAT (21%) over the sum and a handling fee of the postal services. The only thing that works in our favor is the exchange rate from USD to EUR. All in all, the shoes will cost over 450€ unfortunately.

If I recall correctly, aren't the shoes manufactured in Italy? Isn't there a way to avoid the travel to the USA and back to Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I don't understand something: You are talking about SWork with laces in the video and in the text it is the Giro Empire model that is written?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and post!

The medial pain in the arch might be b/c the riders just haven't "broken" the shoes in? The Carbon might still be super stiff and causing an issue. I had this issue with a new pair of Bont's I raced with, but no issues since that race. Did the riders use a custom insole in other shoes vs the Velovetta?
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,
Great info as always. thank you very much! Can't wait for the Calf test.

Would you mind explain why a lace up Giro is faster than no lace setup like this one?
Since most the TT pros use shoe covers, ie. no lace, which made me wonder if a 'smooth' upper is faster than a laced one.

Thank you again!

Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've added some new thoughts to my original post above.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Power meter issues are a likely place to start. Two people so far have suggested to me that it appears that the shoe may be touching the pod on the pedal power meter - 9:47 in the video - maybe all the time, maybe just with some pedal float, which would invalidate the data.

I rewatched and this is worth looking into. As a user of Faveros, I learned the hard way. I noticed a 45/55 power imbalance, dropping my overall power and decreasing my measured CDA, due to a shoe touching the pod.

Not saying this is it, I am saying those with Faveros should be aware of this when aero testing, especially when testing shoes

I am not sure if it is rubbing, however if it is, it will impact results significantly

Last edited by: marcag: Sep 2, 23 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: ERO's test of VeloVetta [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a really big difference in the height of the arch of the shoe and the arch of my foot to the point where it made my first metatarsal and heal was not even contact the sole of the shoe. I was also in college at the time so I didn't have anything I can heat up the shoe with.
Last edited by: C_lo99: Sep 2, 23 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the rubbing issue is really bothering me, so I took the video down until I can be sure. There are no marks on the shoes anywhere, but I want to be sure. I'll have him clip into a trainer and we'll take some close-up video. We had a fourth athlete who tested with Faveros, but his results weren't consistent enough to be included and this could be the reason. We'll re-test right away if this was the case. I also have some tunnel time coming up and may try to slip in a test.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next