Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Current coaching poll [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
How can you expect someone to provide you a training schedule that will keep you healthy let alone improve your performance if they are always injured?

The reason I chose these guys were based on 1) their personal performance in the sports. They had been to the level I hoped to achieve 2) Over time I had observed their athletes improving year in and year out 3) For the most part their athletes stayed healthy. Those were what drove me to talk to these guys, not their certifications.

Those that can - do, those that can't - coach.

But I do agree with your points 2 & 3 for those that want a coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Current coaching poll [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a coach, but as-far-as I know he is not certified, but he does a great job. I am sure I would have improved a little over the last year on my own, but I am certain there is no way I would have taken my 6.5hr 70.3 time down to a 5.5hr time without his help. He has also coached another guy I know to a 1st in his AG KQ race last year. Neither of us or my coach have gotten injured from his training. Can contact him anytime I want with questions or if I need to change something with the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Current coaching poll [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I look at these posts and think most people here are using the term coach as a synonym for personal trainer. More one-on-one in nature.

I work part-time with a local USA Swimming club. I'm required to have a USA Swimming level 2 cert, at least a level 1 ASCA cert, first aid, CPR & ARC lifeguard training. The head coach was happy when I picked up the USMS level 2 cert. Granted, working with kids changes the equation as parents want to have faith in the adults supervising their kids. If I want to coach high school swimming I have to obtain NFHS certain in concussion protocol, their generic coaching cert and the swim specific cert.

I'd argue that all the certs listed in the poll are for the every person/weekend warrior. If you really want to get serious look at coaching majors in colleges.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Current coaching poll [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't waste your time. Over the past several weeks we have seen multiple posts saying;

- help with my fit
- I don't like your advice on my fit
- help with my fit
- 200 mm cranks/adjustable
- electronic shifting is stupid, would never spend money on it, super fail rates, this sports a hobby, spending that much money is a waste for a hobby
- coaching is stupid, run athletes down/get hurt, don't give coaches credit for athletes success, this sports a hobby, spending that much money is a waste for a hobby
- being passive aggressive by stopping mid sentence and ending with a :)

I'm sure it will repeat or some other hawt takezzz will be coming.
Last edited by: JT_Dennen: Nov 15, 17 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: Current coaching poll [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JT_Dennen wrote:
Don't waste your time. Over the past several weeks we have seen multiple posts saying;

- help with my fit
- I don't like your advice on my fit
- help with my fit
- 200 mm cranks/adjustable
- electronic shifting is stupid, would never spend money on it, super fail rates, this sports a hobby, spending that much money is a waste for a hobby
- coaching is stupid, run athletes down/get hurt, don't give coaches credit for athletes success, this sports a hobby, spending that much money is a waste for a hobby
- being passive aggressive by stopping mid sentence and ending with a :)

I'm sure it will repeat or some other hawt takezzz will be coming.

You forgot what time the sun comes up? :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Current coaching poll [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
I have a coach and don't care about his certifications. I got into this sport in 2009 and coached myself through 2013. Over this time period I observed a number of people who got their level 1 USAT certification and advertised that they were coaching while they themselves were/are always injured. I really don't care if someone took a class and passed a test. How can you expect someone to provide you a training schedule that will keep you healthy let alone improve your performance if they are always injured?

In 2014 I decided that I wanted a coach for the reason that I felt like I had tapped out my personal resources. I knew three guys in my area who coached people and made it a point to talk to them. The reason I chose these guys were based on 1) their personal performance in the sports. They had been to the level I hoped to achieve 2) Over time I had observed their athletes improving year in and year out 3) For the most part their athletes stayed healthy. Those were what drove me to talk to these guys, not their certifications.
We're very similar... even the timeline of having a coach. I started with mine in 2015... I'm a faster athlete than my coach though and was at a "higher level" when I went with him, but he knows his stuff. He's always studying and growing his knowledge for coaching, not necessarily cert related and it relays into being a good coach.

While I'm mentioning certs, there are people that I know that recently got their Level 1 USAT coaching certifications... I wouldn't want them to coach me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next