Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520
Quote | Reply
I posted this over on the Garmin forums, but I thought ST might be able to help, although I couldn't find similar issues via search. Yes, I have the latest Quarq firmware, and yes, I have the latest 520 firmware.

I switched from the 1000 to the 520 and I'm having different issues with two of my crank based power meters. These were non issues with the 1000...

Going into sensor details for Power Meter 1, there is no option to set the crank length--there is no field for crank length at all--which I believe is a problem? Anyways, I'm running 165s on this meter and the default (I'm pretty sure) is 172.5. I had no problems setting the 165 length on the 1000 with this same meter.

Going into sensor details for Power Meter 2, there is a crank length field, which is set at the default of 172.5 (however, it's a 170). When I try to change it manually--I've tried 170, 170.0, etc.--I get a blank screen that freezes the unit until I press the start button, which starts activity and brings me to the data screen.

Really frustrating...
Quote Reply
Re: Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank length is not used with quarqs. Only used with pedal based power meters. . So, no matter what you set it to its irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520 [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Crank length is not used with quarqs. Only used with pedal based power meters. . So, no matter what you set it to its irrelevant.

or with Power2max or SRM. The crank based power meters measure the torque exerted on the spider so the crank length isn't needed only cadence.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be unnecessary to set crank length on your particular powermeter, but you still bring up a valid issue. I have a powertap P1, and my experience is the same as what you detail for power meter 2. I can reach the spot to manually adjust crank length, but it won't save and sends me to a blank background screen. After troubleshooting with garmin support, my device was determined to be faulty and requires warranty replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520 [Jrobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jrobi wrote:
It may be unnecessary to set crank length on your particular powermeter, but you still bring up a valid issue. I have a powertap P1, and my experience is the same as what you detail for power meter 2. I can reach the spot to manually adjust crank length, but it won't save and sends me to a blank background screen. After troubleshooting with garmin support, my device was determined to be faulty and requires warranty replacement.

There is a firmware bug on version 5.3, either return it back to earlier version or waitfor thefix to come out soon, personally i make sure it never updates itself via garmin express or through app

Neil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Version 6.0 firmware up there now. Seems to include a fix for this.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520 [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, it fixed the crank length bug. Still don't know why I can turn off auto zero manually on some meters but not others
Quote Reply
Re: Crank based power meter setup issues on Garmin 520 [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sure did, thanks. Now that my power numbers are matched to an accurate crank length, they have declined. I suppose that's what I get for complaining.
Quote Reply