Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Nope, I'm a pretty normal dude. BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races, so she could brag if she wanted to, but we are both quiet people who don't understand why some feel the need to make the choice to scream "HEY EVERYONE IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW I RAN BOSTON" with their choice of clothing.

Like most things in life, do what you want, identify however you want, but for gods sake try to be a bit humble about it.

+1. No need to make comments to people's faces (and I think some people on here are misinterpreting your post in that manner).
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> It's the "Tall Poppy Syndrome". >>

knowing that, you're one of them bloody Oz's , eh ?? :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...my wife is.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Like most things in life, do what you want, identify however you want, but for gods sake try to be a bit humble about it. >

How very Canadian of you ,sir. :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?? about 1980s era expression if I recall ??

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these people wouldnt comment as much if ironman/marathon standards in usa werent so low.

For instance in roth, cut off is 15 hours - no matter who you are. Many marathons shutdown at 5:30 after the start - no matter your wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I don't know. Honestly the teck shirts I wear as layers under a jacket in cold weather, yard shirts, etc. Hoodies get worn around the house on occaision. Also, its one thing to wear a shirt. It's another to see a husband wife couple picking up their packet for the local charity sprint tri in matching Boston hats, full Boston track suits, shirts, shoes and IM socks. At that point Why not just wear your finishers medal too, or just carry around a sign that reads "IM AWESOME". It's ridiculous behaviour.

Unfortunately this is classic Slowtwitch. Life is too short to worry about judgmental people like you. Now people have to worry about what they wear to races just in case someone like you is going to disapprove?! Jeez... You would die if you went to a NASCAR race. All those posers! C'mon man. Some people love everything about the sport, including the swag, the medals, the race momorabilia, the apparel, everything. They are FANS of the sport and they love to wear it on their sleeve. Some even get tatoos, which I think is crazy, but hell who am I to tell them how fanatical they can or can't be about their sport. You come across as insecure since you obviously are making careful, meticulous decisions as to what you wear to races. "We wouldn't want to offend anybody! Goodness no..."

Let people enjoy their sport however they like. We'll never grow the sport if we don't let ourselves and others be fanatical about it without passing judgment about every little thing.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I don't know. Honestly the teck shirts I wear as layers under a jacket in cold weather, yard shirts, etc. Hoodies get worn around the house on occaision. Also, its one thing to wear a shirt. It's another to see a husband wife couple picking up their packet for the local charity sprint tri in matching Boston hats, full Boston track suits, shirts, shoes and IM socks. At that point Why not just wear your finishers medal too, or just carry around a sign that reads "IM AWESOME". It's ridiculous behaviour.

Unfortunately this is classic Slowtwitch. Life is too short to worry about judgmental people like you. Now people have to worry about what they wear to races just in case someone like you is going to disapprove?! Jeez... You would die if you went to a NASCAR race. All those posers! C'mon man. Some people love everything about the sport, including the swag, the medals, the race momorabilia, the apparel, everything. They are FANS of the sport and they love to wear it on their sleeve. Some even get tatoos, which I think is crazy, but hell who am I to tell them how fanatical they can or can't be about their sport. You come across as insecure since you obviously are making careful, meticulous decisions as to what you wear to races. "We wouldn't want to offend anybody! Goodness no..."
Let people enjoy their sport however they like. We'll never grow the sport if we don't let ourselves and others be fanatical about it without passing judgment about every little thing.

I don't think you can infer that those who wear an all-IM or all Boston attire are necessarily "bigger fans" than the guys who do not wear said attire. The IM/Boston folks are simply more show-off-ish, that's all. I think BC makes a valid point but I know how it is, gotta let people do what they wanna do, as long as they're not hurting anyone else:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I don't think you can infer that those who wear an all-IM or all Boston attire are necessarily "bigger fans" than the guys who do not wear said attire. The IM/Boston folks are simply more show-off-ish, that's all. I think BC makes a valid point but I know how it is, gotta let people do what they wanna do, as long as they're not hurting anyone else:)[/quote]

Nah, it's more like we're in a sport that eats it's young. Don't you dare be excited about qualifying for Boston! That makes you a poser. This attitude is a huge turn off to the average joe. The average joe wants to be excited about a BQ or IM and wants to celebrate it but the elitism, which is worse in triathlon than running, is a huge turn off. I think it's super important that the average joe that thinks a 17 hour IM is the achievement of his life feel welcome in the sport. It's the average joe, the masses, that bring money and opportunity to the sport. I think I get what BCTriguy is trying to say and there will always be over the top people but I think it's healthy to have the full spectrum of participation in the sport, from crazy/annoying/haughty to super puritan/humble.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

"Ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims... right?"
"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time}
"You aren't really swimming because you wore a wetsuit"
"You had a long day out there." {compared to everyone else}
"Your time isn't improving so why bother doing more"
"I am sure if I trained I'd finish one too"

Any others?

I must have missed something, these are all truisms...

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

+1 and thanks! If triathletes where I live had BCtriguy's attitude I wouldn't be in this sport.

One time I often wear finisher shirts is when I go to out of town tris - amazing the people you meet because they saw the shirt and said 'are you racing tomorrow?' or 'how did you go yesterday?'
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [davros] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish more people were interested in triathlon tho i do get good comments when it does come up but I wish people would wanna talk about it more and were interested in everything it's about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Don't worry this has been going on for a long time. Triathlons for some reason are supposed to be this secret thing that if you want to talk about them to other people you're a loser and a typical triathlete. I've never seen this in another sport or any other activity I've ever done. I know some people go overboard and talk about every since training day they have ever had. But overall I don't at all understand this attitude when it comes to this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 in my experience from observing others do this, there are 2 main situations where the non-triathlete glazes over and loses interest, or tries to knock you down a peg. Assuming that the nontriathlete isn't just an asshole.

1) you are just using tri (or whatever sport) as a way of bragging and propping yourself over your audience.
2) you get overly technical and lose them.

If you keep it fun and relevant to the audience, then there is rarely any backlash. No one gives a fuck what your FTP is, they don't even know what that means. Wanna tell them how much your über super bike costs? Mention that you've put off getting a new car for 2 years to be able to afford it.

Do that, and you can talk about just about anything with anyone.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say lots of people remember they used to be athletic in their teens and twenties, but are in denial they're fat and out if shape. Hearing you talk about finishing an ironman probably make them feel shitty about them selves. Keep in mind most people don't even know how long a marathon is, so even less will appreciate what's involved in completing an ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a local 5mile race on Thanksgiving. After the race, to stray warm, I looked for a jacket in the car. It just happened that the only one I found was my Boston jacket. So, there I was, at a local Turkey Trot that didn't have chip timing or corrals, rocking my jacket. I thought about it for a few minutes, hoping I wasn't "that dude" at the local race. But then, I thought about my accomplishment, and the fact that I had done a bunch of training and lifestyle changes, and I also thought about keeping warm, so I soon dropped the thought. Besides, several other dudes were wearing their teq kit from Boston.

These days, I wear the teq shirts I get at local races, mostly because I'm a cheapskate and don't want to spring for other shirts. I'm still using an old IM finisher hat for training because I'm not going out to buy other non-logo hats so I don't look pretentious.

I mostly swim these days. Everybody needs to realize that goody bag items for swimming completely blow compared to road races or triathlons. Usually the gifts are latex caps that last a few days. I know Euro and international races give away silicon caps. I just do my "bragging" in the pool by wearing caps I was given: the 2006 Australian Pan-Pacs team cap or the Stanford cap. Again, gifts, since I'm a cheapskate. I think of it like wearing a team's baseball cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
Pretty standard human behavior. It's the "Tall Poppy Syndrome". People knocking others down a peg so they don't feel inferior to them. Sad, but typical.

Pretty much this.

I guess I'm fortunate that all of the people I run into are generally impressed with what I've accomplished. For most of them, just finished a 5k would be hard, so they can barely comprehend the distance and understand how much training that must take.

Maybe the difference is my approach. I don't initiate the conversation, they do and I pay attention to my audience and try and stay relatively modest. People respond better to modesty than self promotion. But I do still get a little swept away at times in my own pride...it happens.

I've also been guilty this week of knocking down the tall poppies that are known as Iowa Football fans. Just can't help myself. On the flip side, I'm not sure I'd be bragging about a 12-0 season that hasn't included at top ranked opponents is the smartest thing either. Its like the poppy yelling 'hey look at me, I'm taller than all of you!". Maybe that's what occurred to the OP, even if they didn't realize it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I don't think you can infer that those who wear an all-IM or all Boston attire are necessarily "bigger fans" than the guys who do not wear said attire. The IM/Boston folks are simply more show-off-ish, that's all. I think BC makes a valid point but I know how it is, gotta let people do what they wanna do, as long as they're not hurting anyone else:)[/quote]

Nah, it's more like we're in a sport that eats it's young. Don't you dare be excited about qualifying for Boston! That makes you a poser. This attitude is a huge turn off to the average joe. The average joe wants to be excited about a BQ or IM and wants to celebrate it but the elitism, which is worse in triathlon than running, is a huge turn off. I think it's super important that the average joe that thinks a 17 hour IM is the achievement of his life feel welcome in the sport. It's the average joe, the masses, that bring money and opportunity to the sport. I think I get what BCTriguy is trying to say and there will always be over the top people but I think it's healthy to have the full spectrum of participation in the sport, from crazy/annoying/haughty to super puritan/humble.

I kind of stayed out of this thread but on this tangent wanted to share my thoughts. At this point I have done 31 IM's over 31 years of racing. so let's say "I have seen it all, and I have been varying degrees of that guy". I don't even own any Tshirts that are not race Tshirts. That's all I have because I race 5-10 times per year. It's all I wear, because why the heck would I buy MORE Tshirts. Most of the time, you won't see the Tshirt I am wearing because I live somewhere that is cold enough that I need a sweater for 9 months per year. But all summer, that's all I wear outside of work.

I personally think that finishing an IM is a big deal. in 2011 I had a fairly bad accident, from which I had to re learn how to walk, how to ride a bike, how to jog. Doing an IM seemed like an impossibility. For life long athletes, doing an IM may not seem to be that much of a challenge, but I always felt it was a challenge, but after 2011, it took on another meaning, I suppose I could relate a lot more with people who take it on as a life goal, overcome big obstacles and get it done and are very excited about their achievement and wear their gear around. I actually relate a lot more to that crew now than my peers that I have been racing at or near the front of my age group.

There is this one guy at my pool decked out in his IM Canada gear whenever I see him. Initially I did not realize he has a disability when he was in the water, but later saw that he can barely walk, but he is always smiling riding by in his aero gear whenever I see him riding. Damn right he is proud of his IMC gear. I am sure doctors told him to not even bother, yet he has finished one of the tougher IM courses around.

Since 2011, I did 11 more IM's. Once I got the gift back, I was determined to make the most of it, because you never know when it goes away. The wrong lightening bolt, the wrong bus turning into you on the bike, the wrong Cancer card and it's over.

Before some of you judge why someone is decked out head to toe, just take a step back and assume you don't know their story and what those miles mean at a personal level. If you do know the story, suddenly you might realize there is a small celebration daily just living and the day they put on the gear is a slightly bigger celebration day.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
There's nothing BCtrigirl and I enjoy more then making snide comments about people who show up to race packet pickups wearing all their IM or Boston gear.

So, serious question here. Where IS it ok to wear all the darn shirts you get at each race? I've started saying no thanks when handed one at packet pick-up and always have some in my charitable donation pile.

Apparently you can't wear it to another race? And certainly not to work. How about to work out, is that ok? Or does that also make one an egotistical D-bag?

I wear them mainly working out in warm weather or the gym. Occasionally when out and about. Funny thing is that 1/2 the time i wear them in public, someone stops and talks to me about it.

I look at it this way, I spend a lot of time, money and energy competing, why not promote it a little. No different that guys that hunt and fish wearing related clothing, or people wearing college or pro sports gear.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Some people are proud of their accomplishments. Why mock them for it? It's no different than folks with a M-dot tattoo. It's a form of self expression.

Just in your post, you are backdoor bragging that BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races. One can also say that maybe you should have been more humble and not put that statement in. Pot calling the kettle black, no?

BCtriguy1 wrote:
Nope, I'm a pretty normal dude. BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races, so she could brag if she wanted to, but we are both quiet people who don't understand why some feel the need to make the choice to scream "HEY EVERYONE IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW I RAN BOSTON" with their choice of clothing.

Like most things in life, do what you want, identify however you want, but for gods sake try to be a bit humble about it.

Not at all. Most people who know us don't know specifics about our athletic accomplishments (or in my case, lack thereof ;) ). I mentioned it here because it's a board that discusses these things. That's not exactly a backdoor brag. I was using her performance as an example.

It's one thing to be proud, which is a normal, healthy feeling to have when you overcome a challenge, or set a goal and follow through with it. It's another entirely to broadcast that pride out to every other person around you. How you choose to do that says something about you. No one is coordinating their whole outfit because they have a warm fuzzy feeling about having run Boston. It's narcissistic, plain and simple.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
chris948 wrote:
Maybe from now on don't bring it up?

I don't... they bring it up to me.

A women, mother of my daughter's friend, also I never met her before comes up to me and says "so ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims it to be... right? !!"
I know a lot of people who have finished an ironman. They never mention it . Who are you referring to ? Most people who train at that level are very nice humble people.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [ericmulk] [BCtriguy1]\ [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
The IM/Boston folks are simply more show-off-ish, that's all.

So are you saying that in your world, people should not wear Boston or IM gear anywhere at any time? I wear them whenever I feel like: to work out, go to the store, go out to eat, etc.

Most of them are nice shirts, why would I want to just leave them in the closet all the time? I don't disparage people who wear a shirt they got when they visited Rio or Hong Kong or something like that which I have never done.

BCtriguy1 wrote:
No one is coordinating their whole outfit because they have a warm fuzzy feeling about having run Boston. It's narcissistic, plain and simple.
Well not a whole outfit, but I will wear the stuff because I have a warm fuzzy feeling about the race. I thought those races were great and enjoyed them immensely. If you did not, well I guess different opinions is what makes the world go round.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always remind myself that I don't get a paycheck for this. I'm doing for the love of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said Dev.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [ericmulk] [BCtriguy1]\ [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
The IM/Boston folks are simply more show-off-ish, that's all.

So are you saying that in your world, people should not wear Boston or IM gear anywhere at any time? I wear them whenever I feel like: to work out, go to the store, go out to eat, etc.
Most of them are nice shirts, why would I want to just leave them in the closet all the time? I don't disparage people who wear a shirt they got when they visited Rio or Hong Kong or something like that which I have never done.
BCtriguy1 wrote:

No one is coordinating their whole outfit because they have a warm fuzzy feeling about having run Boston. It's narcissistic, plain and simple.

Well not a whole outfit, but I will wear the stuff because I have a warm fuzzy feeling about the race. I thought those races were great and enjoyed them immensely. If you did not, well I guess different opinions is what makes the world go round.

You're taking my comment out of context, but perhaps i did not sufficiently explain: in BC's original comment he made the distinction between just wearing a shirt and wearing a whole outfit with hat, shirt, jacket, and pants all saying Boston, IM, or whatever. Neither BC nor I are saying that there's anything wrong with wearing one item of clothing at a time but rather it's the over-done complete outfit.

I wear T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, etc, all the time that have some relation to my various athletic, educational, and/or military endeavors but generally just one at a time:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Nov 28, 15 19:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next