Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear OP, I think this is an interesting thread title, which is why I clicked on it. My responses will be tacked on to some other useful response below. I just wanted to give you a thumbs up since the fastest people out of the gate on this one seemed to be feeling a bit bitchy this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
There's nothing BCtrigirl and I enjoy more then making snide comments about people who show up to race packet pickups wearing all their IM or Boston gear.

So, serious question here. Where IS it ok to wear all the darn shirts you get at each race? I've started saying no thanks when handed one at packet pick-up and always have some in my charitable donation pile.

Apparently you can't wear it to another race? And certainly not to work. How about to work out, is that ok? Or does that also make one an egotistical D-bag?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. Honestly the teck shirts I wear as layers under a jacket in cold weather, yard shirts, etc. Hoodies get worn around the house on occaision. Also, its one thing to wear a shirt. It's another to see a husband wife couple picking up their packet for the local charity sprint tri in matching Boston hats, full Boston track suits, shirts, shoes and IM socks. At that point Why not just wear your finishers medal too, or just carry around a sign that reads "IM AWESOME". It's ridiculous behaviour.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
There's nothing BCtrigirl and I enjoy more then making snide comments about people who show up to race packet pickups wearing all their IM or Boston gear.

So, serious question here. Where IS it ok to wear all the darn shirts you get at each race?

Whenever you feel like it. I got a lot more important things to worry about other than people making snide comments about my attire.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [againagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

"Ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims... right?"
"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time}
"You aren't really swimming because you wore a wetsuit"
"You had a long day out there." {compared to everyone else}
"Your time isn't improving so why bother doing more"
"I am sure if I trained I'd finish one too"

Any others?

Sounds like you need new friends :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I don't know. Honestly the teck shirts I wear as layers under a jacket in cold weather, yard shirts, etc. Hoodies get worn around the house on occaision. Also, its one thing to wear a shirt. It's another to see a husband wife couple picking up their packet for the local charity sprint tri in matching Boston hats, full Boston track suits, shirts, shoes and IM socks. At that point Why not just wear your finishers medal too, or just carry around a sign that reads "IM AWESOME". It's ridiculous behaviour.

I'm not gonna lie, I've been known to wear the finisher's medal all day after a race. It's like a "Tiara" for grownups, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time}

Classic ST thread. Someone attempts to begin a discussion about condescending comments (probably should have used the words "annoying comments")...and he/she gets flamed.

To the OP, I think its a great idea for a thread/discussion. As it relates to triathlon in general...if the subject comes up, and you explain that you have completed a triathlon...if its a sprint or an olympic, they most likely say something like, "oh, so its not like an ironman, or anything."

Any others?

I've got 2:

"You really think you can finish that?" (in reference to my first full IM)
"You should go for Boston. Well, that pace is probably a stretch anyway."

I'll confess this last one bothers me based on the baggage I carry, which is my interpretation that the things I enjoy and chose to do are not as worthwhile as the things my father suggests are better, with 'better' being based on the meaning I take away from his non-stop bringing up of activities that are similar to but not actually the ones I am interested in. Clearly there's nothing wrong with the words 'you should go for Boston'. But man, does it rub me wrong.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really is not that hard for many.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I really is not that hard for many.

What are you saying here? I really...do you mean 'it'?

What's even easier than an IM is a sprint or Olympic distance race.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

LMFAO, that is one of funniest things I've ever seen. I'll see your video and raise you this one, about a guy named Speedo:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfbj6Y2Mss

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Wow....you're cool. I bet you p*ss awesome sauce, too.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, I'm a pretty normal dude. BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races, so she could brag if she wanted to, but we are both quiet people who don't understand why some feel the need to make the choice to scream "HEY EVERYONE IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW I RAN BOSTON" with their choice of clothing.

Like most things in life, do what you want, identify however you want, but for gods sake try to be a bit humble about it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

Any others?

I do not seek social acceptance when I engage in Ironman racing, therefore I do not even know about the ones you are listing. I am deaf to people's comments entirely. They have no effect on me at all. I recommend the same to you. Find the reasons from inside and let the motivation be intrinsic. You will never bring this up again in social forums, there will be no need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people are proud of their accomplishments. Why mock them for it? It's no different than folks with a M-dot tattoo. It's a form of self expression.

Just in your post, you are backdoor bragging that BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races. One can also say that maybe you should have been more humble and not put that statement in. Pot calling the kettle black, no?

BCtriguy1 wrote:
Nope, I'm a pretty normal dude. BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races, so she could brag if she wanted to, but we are both quiet people who don't understand why some feel the need to make the choice to scream "HEY EVERYONE IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW I RAN BOSTON" with their choice of clothing.

Like most things in life, do what you want, identify however you want, but for gods sake try to be a bit humble about it.

Last edited by: zoom: Nov 27, 15 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are backdoor bragging that BCtrigirl regularly podiums her races..

I don't think you understand what a backdoor brag actually is...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you saying here? I really...do you mean 'it'?

"I" is the only word that matters. The rest is probably typos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these are all true

againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

Any others?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need inspiring responses... Suggestions below.

"Ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims... right?" Yeah... but eating all those donuts during training sure was tough. Oof! This one time, I had to eat 3!!!
"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time} Totally! So long as training doesn't get in the way of my donut eating.
"You aren't really swimming because you wore a wetsuit" The wetsuit was just to keep my donuts dry. Next time I think I'm going to get a bigger one though, because they kinda got a little smushed.
"You had a long day out there." {compared to everyone else} I'm a slower donut eater than most. I'm really working on my speed-eating though. How about we go for a training trip to Dunkin'?
"Your time isn't improving so why bother doing more" You are so right... maybe this Ironman silliness really isn't going to help me eat more donuts. Thanks for the tip!
"I am sure if I trained I'd finish one too" Heck yeah! How about we go to Dunkin and then go do an easy breezy HIM? Those don't really need any training at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1 remark for IM and ultra runners: "you guys are crazy". This one marginalizes the accomplishment by twisting into something more akin to a personality disorder vs. an achievement requiring great sacrifice, discipline and determination. I haven't done a full IM and it's not likely I ever will but not because I am sane, rather because I don't think I have the other attributes.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny and ironical that all the ST internet toughguys in here talk shit about boston gear and Mdot tats, but I have yet to see anyone talk shit to anyone wearing said boston gear and or Mdot tats at any race or event I have ever been to. The speedo wearing, shaven leg tri crowd just doesn't invoke fear into anyone in person........shocker

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
againagain wrote:
Ones that I get...

Any others?

I totally get what you're trying to convey. It's an attempt to diminish someone's accomplishment (albeit passive-aggressively). A close friend recently completed his first marathon, which took over 6.5 hours. I'm not going to pile on and tell him anyone can run-walk 26 miles like some of our other friends did (most of whom don't even run). Instead, just congratulated him on the effort and encouraged him to keep at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats a great link Dilbert :)

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Nov 27, 15 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

That is correct. Old ladies do them. Old men do them. People who can't even walk do them. Fat people do them.

Thousands have completed 140.6 triathlons. How tough could it be?*

Quote:
"You train when you feel like it... right? "

Yup. When I did them I train when I feel like it. And I feel like training 9-16 hours per week.

Quote:

Yeah, that's fairly accurate.

Quote:
"You had a long day out there."

In my book doing anything for more than 8 hours is a long day.

Quote:

Yeah, man. What's the deal? How come you aren't getting any faster? Maybe you need a new bike.

Quote:

Yeah. If you train for it you an finish one. Do you think you're special in some way that makes you believe that only a few people are capable of training and completing an IM?

Do you have an M-dot tattoo?

*Doing it in under 9 hours is really tough.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Completed Ironman... other people's condescending remarks [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilyk318 wrote:
You just need inspiring responses... Suggestions below.

"Ironman isn't as tough as everyone claims... right?" Yeah... but eating all those donuts during training sure was tough. Oof! This one time, I had to eat 3!!!
"You train when you feel like it... right? " {you don't actually have to sacrifice time} Totally! So long as training doesn't get in the way of my donut eating.
"You aren't really swimming because you wore a wetsuit" The wetsuit was just to keep my donuts dry. Next time I think I'm going to get a bigger one though, because they kinda got a little smushed.
"You had a long day out there." {compared to everyone else} I'm a slower donut eater than most. I'm really working on my speed-eating though. How about we go for a training trip to Dunkin'?
"Your time isn't improving so why bother doing more" You are so right... maybe this Ironman silliness really isn't going to help me eat more donuts. Thanks for the tip!
"I am sure if I trained I'd finish one too" Heck yeah! How about we go to Dunkin and then go do an easy breezy HIM? Those don't really need any training at all.

I believe you get the award for most creative response, but you are shorting Krispy Kreme with your focus on Dunkin. I'd go with KK over DD any day, but maybe that's b/c I grew up in Carolina. KK has their HQ at Greensboro, NC:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next