Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like latest forecast calls for thunderstorms on Sunday. I'm just glad the temps are dipping down to the low 80s for the high.

Super excited about the event!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [DCtheWorld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anybody else getting a little concerned about t-storms disrupting the race...?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [JDugan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little, but the forecasts are still in the crapshot stage. If they cancel the swim and it is raining, I will probably punt. I have no need to do a long brick in the rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I wasn't driving 6 hours to get there, I'd likely punt too (if they cancel the swim).

If it's not dangerous, I'll race. Hoping for clear AM skies. Good luck to you guys (and gals).
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [DCtheWorld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCtheWorld wrote:
Looks like latest forecast calls for thunderstorms on Sunday. I'm just glad the temps are dipping down to the low 80s for the high.

Super excited about the event!

Even though the temps are coming down, the high humidity could actually make the event tougher.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started in the final wave at Galveston two years ago and it was horrible. I spent the entire ride surging to pass people and as soon as I thought maybe I could settle in and just ride I'd be on someone's wheel again and have to pass again. By the time I got to T2 my legs were toast, I put out way too many watts and completely blew up on the run. I ended up walking the entire second lap with nothing left in the tank. IMLP was the complete opposite; started at the front of the rolling start and had really clear roads for most of the bike. I will definitely be in line at the river as early as possible to get clear roads on the bike.

I'm just hoping for legit rain on the run to cool it down, a scattered shower will just make it a miserable sauna.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas are you racing it again?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [HoustonAg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonAg wrote:
I started in the final wave at Galveston two years ago and it was horrible. I spent the entire ride surging to pass people and as soon as I thought maybe I could settle in and just ride I'd be on someone's wheel again and have to pass again. By the time I got to T2 my legs were toast, I put out way too many watts and completely blew up on the run. I ended up walking the entire second lap with nothing left in the tank. IMLP was the complete opposite; started at the front of the rolling start and had really clear roads for most of the bike. I will definitely be in line at the river as early as possible to get clear roads on the bike.

I'm just hoping for legit rain on the run to cool it down, a scattered shower will just make it a miserable sauna.

There is no reason you have to surge. Starting in the thick of things is actually way faster than being by yourself out on the bike. But yes, if you are surging that won't work. Just ride the watts you wanted to ride without surging, slip-streaming from user-to-user. As a long-time age-grouper, I remember how fast my rides were as an age-grouper on so few watts and then I ran great too because I wasn't putting out the watts.

In others words, use the slip-streaming to your advantage and not disadvantage. It make take some time emotionally/mentally to get right but it is an opportunity to save watts.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDugan wrote:

No need to worry if you have disc brakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
HoustonAg wrote:

There is no reason you have to surge. Starting in the thick of things is actually way faster than being by yourself out on the bike. But yes, if you are surging that won't work. Just ride the watts you wanted to ride without surging, slip-streaming from user-to-user. As a long-time age-grouper, I remember how fast my rides were as an age-grouper on so few watts and then I ran great too because I wasn't putting out the watts.

In others words, use the slip-streaming to your advantage and not disadvantage. It make take some time emotionally/mentally to get right but it is an opportunity to save watts.

^^this

My n=1 (from Augusta) is (and I'm no uber-cyclist)....the folks I was passing were not the ones you need to surge past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
HoustonAg wrote:

The sad part is, I completely know all of that. I had even factored it into my race plan for the day, I just didn't execute it, which is very uncharacteristic for me. I got frustrated by the traffic and that as soon as I'd complete a pass I'd be on the next person's wheel and have to pass, so instead of being patient I kept surging. To this day, it was by far the worst executed race plan I've ever had. Oh well, we all brain fart in a race occasionally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
This quote was great for me. I have started toward the back of the pack in the races I have done so far and passed a ton of bikes. I do not think I was using my energy wisely. And, depending on how I start at Chattanooga, then I may be in a position to do a lot of passing again, and I want to both be efficient and use the opportunities well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, "legal" drafting and slipstreaming can work well, depending on the course etc. I've been in waves 22 and over at Oceanside and Miami and it worked great where the roads were wide and much of it closed to traffic

My experience at chatt was different. The main hwy going out is fairly wide with room to pass, but the big "loop" is primarily 2 lane roads with no shoulder open to traffic in both directions . All the slipstreaming in the world was immediately canceled out by the pickup truck and then Cadillac I was stuck behind going 18 mph for several minutes because they didn't want to cross the double yellow to pass the guy riding in the middle of the lane or, as likely, the group of drafting riders. I couldn't legally pass the car as it would require crossing the double yellow into the incoming lane (not only illegal but stupid as cars turning from driveways would be turning into me). Earliest start also avoids car traffic but this is Sunday morning in north GA, and people gotta get to services so there is traffic

YMMV of course. Just reporting actual course conditions from 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HoustonAg wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
HoustonAg wrote:

The sad part is, I completely know all of that. I had even factored it into my race plan for the day, I just didn't execute it, which is very uncharacteristic for me. I got frustrated by the traffic and that as soon as I'd complete a pass I'd be on the next person's wheel and have to pass, so instead of being patient I kept surging. To this day, it was by far the worst executed race plan I've ever had. Oh well, we all brain fart in a race occasionally.

Understood. Believe me, even I have to tell myself, before turning on to State Street at Ironman Wisconsin (Lined six 6 deep, probably greatest number of spectators at any NA Ironman), to "take a deep breath. I am running 7:00 min / pace. Run 7:00 min / pace on State Street. Ignore the crowd. Even if it feels easy, resist the need to surge". Part of racing is being patient and checking your emotions. It takes practice, but if you work at it you can turn negatives into positives.

Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not worried about rain. I'm a little concerned the swim could be canceled/people getting pulled off the course due to severe t storms. Oh well I can't control anything so I'm wasting my time worrying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDugan wrote:

Are they really calling for morning t-storms? Because that is pretty rare. However is is quite common in the South to get that T-storm around 3 or 4pm.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Are they really calling for morning t-storms? Because that is pretty rare. However is is quite common in the South to get that T-storm around 3 or 4pm.
Still looking like basically 100% chance of t-storms from 3 AM to 7 PM so I'm hoping it turns out different mostly. Mojitos at Boathouse are 3 oz of magnificence so if your race sucks this is a good place to go to drink away the sorrow.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Last edited by: sylvan: May 18, 17 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly you have never raced a triathlon in the rain. I'll tell you how it's going to play out (or always seems to in my case).

Swim will be fine, bike it will rain hard the whole time, but quit just in time for the run and the sun will come out and make it humid for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OR

Cancelled swim => shortened shit bike time trial through 30+ miles of standing water and potholes => hot humid run. Looking at you 2016 Racine 70.3.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much sums up IMMT 2016 perfectly
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [fuzzhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the water temp is like? Will this be a wetsuit legal race?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [destx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70 degrees today. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the ag'ers swimming the same course as the Elite's? Bruce Gennari is 9 MINUTES faster than the first Elite! 13:25 vs. 22:27. 16 more amateurs ahead of the first Elite.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously the swim was shortened. By why just for the amateurs?
Quote Reply

Prev Next