Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chattanooga 70.3
Quote | Reply
Just under two weeks till this.. I've never done the race before, what should I expect? Where are the good places to take it easy/go hard.

What's the overall race like? Well run? Like the flow of the race?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race. Super fast wetsuit swim. With all the rain we've had down here it will be interesting to see what they do to accommodate the race. Most dams have been spilling 24/7 to get rid of the water so the rivers running super fast.

The bike route is pretty fast with a bunch of rollers and a few climbs...nothing serious in my opinion.

The race takes a measure of revenge on the run. It's a 2 loop course that goes along the river a bit before you cross over to the other side on one bridge and come back over on a bridge further downstream. There's some climbing....most of it is gradual but there's a short steep hill on the downtown side of the river that I usually just power walk.

There's lots of fan support...I think you'll love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait to get down there and race!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Great race. Super fast wetsuit swim. With all the rain we've had down here it will be interesting to see what they do to accommodate the race. Most dams have been spilling 24/7 to get rid of the water so the rivers running super fast.

The bike route is pretty fast with a bunch of rollers and a few climbs...nothing serious in my opinion.

The race takes a measure of revenge on the run. It's a 2 loop course that goes along the river a bit before you cross over to the other side on one bridge and come back over on a bridge further downstream. There's some climbing....most of it is gradual but there's a short steep hill on the downtown side of the river that I usually just power walk.

There's lots of fan support...I think you'll love it.

I agree with this, my only caveat would be that while the bike isn't serious, the run isn't to be taken lightly. If you try and kill the bike course, just make sure to leave enough in the tank for the run! Interested in seeing how bad the draft packs get on the bike course, if the river is flowing fast it will negate most of the advantage the strongest swimmers would normally earn. The fan support is always cool in Chattanooga.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's that 400 m section of "up-river" section going to be.........considering the flow rate?

(Can you tell I'm not a swimmer?) :)
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not anything to worry about, the upriver portion of the swim is closer to the bank where the current is not as much a factor closer to the shore as it is in the middle of the river.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chilybil23 wrote:
the upriver portion of the swim is closer to the bank

Is it against the rules to get out of the water and run along the bank to the turnaround buoy? (That may or may not need to be pink.)

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first 70.3. Really looking forward to it!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga is a great city and both the full IM and 70.3 are awesome.

The bike course is what I would describe as rolling. The only significant hill is the left turn onto Andrews Lane. Its probably 0.25 miles long but pretty steep. Good thing is you have a really fast downhill for about two miles as soon as you get to the top.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any "bad," surprising, or tricky turns on any of the downhill sections?

Real People. Real Coaching. Real Results. http://www.ts2coaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [IndyRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no real "bad" or surprising turns...nothing too sharp. There is long downhill at about mile 40-45ish if I can remember correctly...there are some parts there where you can get to 40mph if you are pushing it with some decent turns...just need to watch out for slower riders.

When you come back into town from the bike (maybe mile 50-52ish), you have to make some 90 degree turns (at least this was the case last year). I remember a couple people hitting the turf around these turns last year. Just hold your line and should be fine.

Recommendation is if you are a fast rider, get up early and get in the swim line early and you have the course to yourself.

It is a great race, great venue, and a rewarding run. Enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike can be super fast but there's a few places you'll need to key an eye on. First is that left turn about 25, that immediately puts you going uphill, can be tough but it's short and no more than a couple hundred yards. Second is the climb out of Chicamauga. Once you're out of Chicamauga you're going to hit a false flat and then a gradual incline and finally a steep short climb. The whole thing is only a few miles. It's not 2 miles of "climbing" but that whole area will hurt your avg speed. Once you're over the hill out of Chicamauga, you're going to be flying 35+ for about a mile. After that you're basically back on 341 and then it's head down back to transition. One other thing that I will mention is that there can be wind on the bike course. It was to our backs going out and then right in our face on the back side. It was same way last Sunday when I rode so just a heads up.

As far as the run, I don't think it's that bad. There's a lot of flat areas along the river but also a few short hills. Crowd support is awesome especially along the river and the start of the loop area. Chattanooga was my fastest run split for any 70.3 at 1:37 but part of that was that I was mad at my bike that day.

Those are my thoughts and I'm sticking to them.
Last edited by: TriathlonJoe: May 10, 17 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Bike can be super fast but there's a few places you'll need to key an eye on. First is that left turn about 25, that immediately puts you going uphill, can be tough but it's short and no more than a couple hundred yards. Second is the climb out of Chicamauga. Once you're out of Chicamauga you're going to hit a false flat and then a gradual incline and finally a steep short climb. The whole thing is only a few miles. It's not 2 miles of "climbing" but that whole area will hurt your avg speed. Once you're over the hill out of Chicamauga, you're going to be flying 35+ for about a mile. After that you're basically back on 341 and then it's head down back to transition. One other thing that I will mention is that there can be wind on the bike course. It was to our backs going out and then right in our face on the back side. It was same way last Sunday when I rode so just a heads up.

As far as the run, I don't think it's that bad. There's a lot of flat areas along the river but also a few short hills. Crowd support is awesome especially along the river and the start of the loop area. Chattanooga was my fastest run split for any 70.3 at 1:37 but part of that was that I was mad at my bike that day.

Those are my thoughts and I'm sticking to them.

Good to mention the descent after the Chickamagua "climb". Last year, I was injured and unable to participate, so I went to support my wife. I know a lot of the backroads near the course, so I rode out there to get a ride in and watch some of the race. That particular descent was a bit dangerous with the combination of cars and descending cyclists. Me and a friend sat there for 20-30 minutes telling cars when they could turn or had to wait because some were pulling right out into the road with cyclists coming down the hill at 30+mph. The people in the cars were actually very cool about it (no complaints or threats or flipping us the bird) but they could not see the cyclists coming down and thought it was clear to go. I am really surprised no accidents happened here and it would be great to put a cop here next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easily my favorite half race. Great atmosphere and great race. Swim is fast, bike is fast and run is a good mix of hills and flats. It rained during my race but the bike was probably the best part. After the one big hill, I pushed it on the bike and came out with a good bike split. Careful on the first lap, be ready for some of the hills. I pushed it too hard on the first one and was dying the 2nd lap.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What rear cassette would you suggest? I got a standard crank with a 11-28... im thinking about throwing on the 11-32 just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
What rear cassette would you suggest? I got a standard crank with a 11-28... im thinking about throwing on the 11-32 just in case.

11-28 is perfect. I'm a big guy (6'4" and 185) and 11-28 is what I ride on this course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you have seen this, but I found a bike course video up on YouTube from FX Multisport Coaching. It's great quality and been fun doing a handful of rides on the trainer watching it. You'll see the large hill around mile 26-27 isn't too bad. Plenty of parts to get momentum going...looks like a fun ride. See you out there next week! Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [king_jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link!! I'll definitely check it out.

Can't wait to get down there!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bigger (and older!....53) guy....and I put an 11-32 on a few weeks ago (I'm 6' & 192#). I don't discern any "gaps" and I use the 32 on my training rides (3,000' ascent in +/- 50 mi.).

I'd rather have it and not need it, than .......well...you know :)

What's the chances this is or isn't a wetsuit legal race? I'm coming in from NC. What's the status of the river (roaring?)?
Last edited by: nc452010: May 12, 17 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What cassette would you use for this course? 11-23 or 11-28? I have done Boulder IM with an 11-23 before. Just curious, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd be fine either way. There's really only a few climbs to really worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're any kind of swimmer (:30 or below), get out there as early as you can and get in front of the line. I was in the water in the first 45 seconds or so, swam a good time, and had a mostly nice clear bike course. Some places on the outbound leg, couldn't see anyone ahead or behind me.

Then the draft packs came just after the Andrews climb. The roads are two lane and open to traffic, and with people drafting in group and not riding to the right, it can get a little tricky. I spent a fair amount of time stuck behind a pickup truck that was behind a guy riding in the middle of the road.

The drafting was ridiculous (guess I don't even really need to say that at a WTC race anymore do I), and even folks wearing club/team kits (ahem, moxie multisports, looking at you...) weren't shy about it. I had a huge pack come by me (with a couple pro women on the back to boot) about mile 30 ish, than another huge pack up Chickamauga hill.

If you are in the back with a lot of people, I could imagine the roads got very crowded.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the latest on forecast water temps and flow ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally going to do that. Thank you for the tip. I'll be there as early as I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you mean :30 without the current?......lol Hell, I'm a <:30 swimmer with the current.

I started 3 or 4 waves from the end @ Augusta...and promptly flatted at mile 2.5 of the bike course. After what took me FOREVER to change the flat, the entire field was now in front of me on the roads.

I had a really pleasant ride. I had to pass a lot of people, but it was not a zoo (by any stretch).

I'm gonna sleep in and take my chances. Good luck.
Last edited by: nc452010: May 16, 17 8:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next