Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge vs Ironman Backpacks/SWAG [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2010 - IMLP, canvas drawstring bag of reasonable quality. I paid $75-100 for a solidly constructed black Ironman backpack after finishing. I use that as my carry on bag while flying (has a nice laptop section in it) and my weekend trip bag. Love it. Probably the best backpack I've ever purchased. I cut the silly roll-out wetsuit mesh drawstring bag out of it as this bag was never going to see a wet wetsuit.
2012 - IMWI. Transition bag style back pack. Ok quality. Thinner canvas than the one I bought in LP. I'm sure it's fine. It doesn't get very much use b/c I paid for the sturdier bag at IMLP and had already purchased a speedo swim bag.
2013 - IMMT. Same bag style as WI, but super cheap feeling. Canvas is rather thin and the stitching was pulling apart once anything was put into it. Gave it away to a friend who was starting out with triathlon.
2014 - Challenge AC. Laptop bag. Canvas quality is between the Wisconsin back pack and the black back pack I bought in LP. Gets regular occasional use and the zipper has separated on a couple of occasions - after only 8 months.
2014 - Steelman swim. Sturdy-seeming transition bag that went straight to good will.
2014 - IM Boulder. New backpack style. Canvas is similar to or possibly thicker than the Wisconsin bag. I've been using this as my daily gym bag and one decorative zipper pull string was lost immediately, then another, now a metal zipper pull keeps coming off (could surely fix that with some pliers). Otherwise it seems in ok shape after 7 months of regular use.
I remember almost none of the other swag that may or may not have come inside the bags, aside from the bike tool from Boulder and a shoe clip from CAC.

Honestly, I don't understand why races bother with this stuff. I just assume they reduce the price by $25-50 and keep the stuff to themselves. I don't generally appreciate the burden the gift imparts. Someone expressed what looked like disappointment that people leave these things at the hotel, but I don't want to bring it home --> I already have a billion bags from every other darn thing I've signed up for. Same with t-shirts. I love my finishers shirts for big events but just don't need another disposable shirt from every 5 k etc. I also don't need gigantic finishers medals, either. I think they'd all be classier if they were very much smaller; only winners should get something larger. Sorry to turn that into a ranting hijack!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge vs Ironman Backpacks/SWAG [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
x2. The WTC/Ironman bags are crap. IM Boulder ripped out after a couple uses. The IM Hawaii (big orange one) was even worse. While it looked great, it ripped out while using it the first time. You'd think they'd get some robust zippers and nylon in there when making them. Of course, if they did that, brands that carry the Ironman name on them (like OGIO) wouldn't sell any because you'd be getting them for free as a part of the race swag. Why buy one if they give you one right? Can't say about the Challenge races...so few that I'd even be able to get to--plus WTC races are a dime a dozen. Okay...several thousands dimes...

They are all the same since 2013 it seems and they are shit.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAlbertan: Mar 5, 15 22:09
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge vs Ironman Backpacks/SWAG [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The backpack I got from IMFL 2013 was crap, very thin material and just felt like it would fall apart. The backpack I got from IMFL 2014 was constructed very well and seems like it would last a lot longer. Both back packs are sitting in my closet unused.

I don't know what Challenge swag will be but I was told last year Challenge Atlantic City gave out messenger bags.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge vs Ironman Backpacks/SWAG [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased an Ironman backpack at Augusta 70.3 last year and it's already pretty much completely fallen apart. Didn't even get 6 months use out of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next