Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
For $11K, what are getting for your investment over a Speed Concept or Premier? That's like doubling the price of a bike to get it from 17lbs down to 15lbs. What's the gain? What's the ROI?

I don't quite get it. There are some people for whom $20K is no different than $10K. Why value shop? Get the 15lb. bike. The Felt TK-FRD might only very very slightly more aero than Cervelo T-4 (or T-5). But if you don't care about $30K, get the TK-FRD. (assuming it's faster, which I don't know).

Quote:
Cervelo will need to be around for 5 years for us to know. These days that's not a given! Phil White is gone.

My prediction stands regardless of whether Cervelo itself is still around or not.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 8, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you explain your prediction?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 8, 18 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Can you explain your prediction?

The front end of the bike is ground-breaking (fork + bars) in both fit and probably aero. Probably why the bike tested so fast. After some re-design for cheaper manufacturing it'll end up on the next P(2-5) or whatever Cervelo calls it. And around the rest of the TT/Tri bike design world. We've already seen parts of it in the new Alpha One.

I think we'll see the high-surface-area "beam" copied by the other beam bike companies.

As a lot of bikes now have a lineage back to the P3C, I think in 10 years a lot of bikes will have a lineage back to the P5x.

People get distracted by the death blades and, jarring visual lines, and integrated mini-fridge and miss the engineering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

People get distracted by the death blades and, jarring visual lines, and integrated mini-fridge and miss the engineering.

It's slowtwitch? Are you surprised?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-X Lamborghini Edition [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both the car and bike are ugly. Expensive and tasteful are often mutually exclusive.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

I can broker a deal for that bike at retail price +$250 for the paint job.

A plaque with a number between 1-20 and a 'Certificate of Authenticity' can also be ordered for an extra $100,-

How much to settle the lawsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Those idiots are tearing the sport apart. How on earth is your average dentist going to afford that?

in defense of dentists...

For what they put up with day in day out. If they want an ugly, or pretty bike; good for them. I guess my dentist isn't average: he's a multi-time AG Kona winner and USAT #1 (no shit). Every time I see him I hope some of his talent+luck rubs off on me. Plus, he's a nice guy. That guy sure can put together a race when he needs it.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-X Lamborghini Edition [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a used FALCO (similar to this design) a couple years ago from a friend. I can't afford a different Triathlon bike and I do feel like a douche going into Transition. At every Ironman 70.3/140.6 I have done, somebody always has to stop me and tell me the back story of FALCO and how the bike sucks. I try to sneak in now and I just keep my head down. Personally I like the designs but the assholes do get old.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
The specialized-McLaren bikes at least made sense in terms of an engineering collaboration. Lambo literally just gave them a paint job. I'm pretty disappointed in cervelo for this, no matter who's idea it was.

bingo.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5-X Lamborghini Edition [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, you all are brutal!!! My local dealer had access to one and I actually considered it! Everyone who has that bike says it is fabulous, and I guess the beauty of paint jobs is the eye of the beholder.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't want to look silly" WAAAAAAYYYYY too late for that. You are wearing an adult "one-sie" and a giant Spaceballs style helmet, we all look silly-- always. And having come from cycling before adding multi-sport, I can assure you cyclists relentlessly make fun of triathletes. So there are a bunch of people in denial. Buy what you want, ride what you want. If the super fancy Cervelo is your jam, go nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy on Instagram made me laugh https://web.stagram.com/p/BgFGN0dBtH3

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Well, Gerard left and owns 3T now. I'm not sure Phil is still at Cervelo. Cervelo seems to be going in a different direction. Perhaps this was to try and sell more P5-Xs and make people think about the bike again?

I feel like Cervelo is losing its old ethos with marketing like this. I feel like Gerard brought that 'old' Cervelo mentality with him to 3T and has some really cool bikes coming through with it. 3T is the new Cervelo?

I'll always love Cervelo as long as they bring out simply-designed and engineer-first designs (e.g. S2, P3), but it looks like they're trying to cater to a different audience now maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
This guy on Instagram made me laugh https://web.stagram.com/p/BgFGN0dBtH3

could of atleast sourced a VTEC sticker
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [nickvas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickvas wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Well, Gerard left and owns 3T now. I'm not sure Phil is still at Cervelo. Cervelo seems to be going in a different direction. Perhaps this was to try and sell more P5-Xs and make people think about the bike again?

I feel like Cervelo is losing its old ethos with marketing like this. I feel like Gerard brought that 'old' Cervelo mentality with him to 3T and has some really cool bikes coming through with it. 3T is the new Cervelo?

I'll always love Cervelo as long as they bring out simply-designed and engineer-first designs (e.g. S2, P3), but it looks like they're trying to cater to a different audience now maybe.

Well Gerard and Phil are no longer at Cervelo. Cervelo is owned by Pon who also owns Lamborghini? No surprise then that Pon made Cervelo show up to the Lamborghini launch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think VW owns it
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I never thought it would be possible to make an ugly bike even uglier...

Funny you should say that, never cared for the looks of the p5x either (even went to the unveiling and told them -they asked and I was nice about it) but that is a slick paint job. Not worth the premium but pretty slick if you ask me.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.pon.com/en

Pon is an international trading and service organization for A-brands such as Cervélo, Volkswagen, Caterpillar, MAN and Continental. Pon offer customers absolute top quality in each of those industries.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
For $11K, what are getting for your investment over a Speed Concept or Premier? That's like doubling the price of a bike to get it from 17lbs down to 15lbs. What's the gain? What's the ROI?

I don't quite get it. There are some people for whom $20K is no different than $10K. Why value shop? Get the 15lb. bike. The Felt TK-FRD might only very very slightly more aero than Cervelo T-4 (or T-5). But if you don't care about $30K, get the TK-FRD. (assuming it's faster, which I don't know).

Quote:
Cervelo will need to be around for 5 years for us to know. These days that's not a given! Phil White is gone.

My prediction stands regardless of whether Cervelo itself is still around or not.

Because many of those people got to that position by making smart money decisions, so the first question they'll ask is, "What am I getting for double the price?" It's not the amount, it's just logic. One of the things I tell virtually every client is, if it's not making you faster or more comfortable, why are you buying it? If the answer is, "Because I want it." That's a great reason! Nothing wrong with that at all. But there just isn't an argument to be made that this bike performs twice as good as any other bike. Financially, the P5-X is a bad choice, as is pretty much any top-of-the-line bike from any other brand vs their less expensive bretheren. It makes no sense. Same could be said of Zipp and Enve. Great products, but the better ROI, by far, is HED or Flo. Ultegra v. Dura-Ace...same thing. I could go on and on.

Ventum is about to release a cheaper version of their bike that is just above the price of the bikes Dan is currently reviewing on the front page. With a 3T aero bar and TriRig front brake, it's almost certainly faster aerodynamically and more adjustable than their current bike. So, if one of my client's wants a Ventum, and money isn't an object, which of their bikes would I recommend? No brainer. The smart money is on the new, cheaper, version. It's the better investment for not only their money, but in this case, their ability to perform.

There's a great argument to be made that bikes like the P5-X serve a higher purpose. That being it's design will trickle down to less expensive models over the next few years. I would absolutely agree with that. That's not the purpose this version serves, though, it's just meant to be a collector's item. Some poeple will buy these bikes because they appreciate them lke a work of art, and I think that's great. Others will simply use them as another way to measure their gentials. For those folks, this, like a Ferrari Colnago or any other "special edition" model, is a Trump bike.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5X Lamborghini Edition [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kent_NewZealand wrote:
As a long-time Cervelo rider I feel a bit disappointed by this. For me their brand was about bringing accessible innovation to the masses. Now it is just about flashy show pieces.

I wish they would go back to their core brand. Reduce focus on the p5x, drop the p2-p3 distinction, and focus on practical innovation.

Kent

Agreed! The P2/P3 make no sense to me considering it's the same frame with a slightly different fork. Make 1 frame and offer different groupsets like Felt does to get different pricing options. The P5-X will probably lead to a P3-X eventually but the brand just feels so different.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
trail wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Quote:

Because many of those people got to that position by making smart money decisions, so the first question they'll ask is, "What am I getting for double the price?" It's not the amount, it's just logic. One of the things I tell virtually every client is, if it's not making you faster or more comfortable, why are you buying it? If the answer is, "Because I want it." That's a great reason! Nothing wrong with that at all. But there just isn't an argument to be made that this bike performs twice as good as any other bike. Financially, the P5-X is a bad choice, as is pretty much any top-of-the-line bike from any other brand vs their less expensive bretheren. It makes no sense. Same could be said of Zipp and Enve. Great products, but the better ROI, by far, is HED or Flo. Ultegra v. Dura-Ace...same thing. I could go on and on.

Ventum is about to release a cheaper version of their bike that is just above the price of the bikes Dan is currently reviewing on the front page. With a 3T aero bar and TriRig front brake, it's almost certainly faster aerodynamically and more adjustable than their current bike. So, if one of my client's wants a Ventum, and money isn't an object, which of their bikes would I recommend? No brainer. The smart money is on the new, cheaper, version. It's the better investment for not only their money, but in this case, their ability to perform.

There's a great argument to be made that bikes like the P5-X serve a higher purpose. That being it's design will trickle down to less expensive models over the next few years. I would absolutely agree with that. That's not the purpose this version serves, though, it's just meant to be a collector's item. Some poeple will buy these bikes because they appreciate them lke a work of art, and I think that's great. Others will simply use them as another way to measure their gentials. For those folks, this, like a Ferrari Colnago or any other "special edition" model, is a Trump bike.

A lot of expensive things fall into that category, and that's OK, the value of a bike or item like this is different to different people, or not at all to others.

These bikes sold out within the first 24 hours, which aside from the 40 bikes to 40 dealers to launch it, is probably definitely the most P5X's sold in that amount of time (Ok, this is a guess)
Last edited by: AndresLD: Mar 9, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Because many of those people got to that position by making smart money decisions, so the first question they'll ask is, "What am I getting for double the price?"

Huh. I'm not even rich and my first question is always "What's fastest for me?" If I can't afford it, I drop down. Because we're talking about racing. There's no podium for "best performance-to-equipment-cost-ratio."

In any case you can't even answer the question, "What an I getting for double the price," without testing. You said they told you up front they didn't want to even consider it with a mention of "dentists." That sounds like they're making a decision based on status, not performance or value. They associate the P5x with low status (as some do here, using "dentist" as someone with low status in endurance athletics).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just a publicity stunt!!

It will get Cervelo 5 seconds at the end of the sports block just by adding expensive and Lamborghini tags. Maybe even some retweets!

Come on. It has nothing to do with the engineering department!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, Phil is no longer at Cervelo. At least not the Phil you refering to. He is officialy out.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply

Prev Next