Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brownlee out
Quote | Reply
Alistair is undergoing surgery for a hip flare up and will be out the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see if this changes anyone's (LS) 70.3 WC race plans.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Source?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a shame. The willingness and ability to train as hard as he and Jonny do is certainly a double edged sword. It elevates them to wonderful performances but can/has lead to injury as well.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well damn. We've all looked forward to seeing what he'd do at 70.3 World's. :/
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanders is out, he is FULLY concentrating on Kona so I don't think this will change his focus. I think this looks good for Sebi!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a hip flare up? Just curious, would anybody here know? Thanks.
I know of few hip injuries to include FAI and labrum tear......just not sure what flare up is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Alistair is undergoing surgery for a hip flare up and will be out the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see if this changes anyone's (LS) 70.3 WC race plans.

... viewership ratings just took a major hit. Terrible news.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are making a big assumption saying that they will even broadcast the race.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't it be aired? I have watched the last 4 years.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gutted! Least we got Leeds out of him of this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
That's a shame. The willingness and ability to train as hard as he and Jonny do is certainly a double edged sword. It elevates them to wonderful performances but can/has lead to injury as well.

Actually, he clearly doesn't have the ability to train as hard as he does, otherwise he wouldn't be perpetually injured. Less can be more, and I think he could hit those same performances without as much debilitating injury if he (or his coach?) weren't taking such risks

He should probably just scale back on the training and draft more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you haven't.

It wasn't aired in 2014 when it was in Mont Tremblant. Twitter was the only source of information.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Aug 4, 17 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hoping it will be aired this year .............
Sadly- betting it won't.
C'Mon man! It's the World Championships!
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 2014 IM 70.3 World's MT on DVR and and watching it now. It was on NBC Sports Network.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah but it wasn't broadcasted live. That's what people are referring to.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Actually, he clearly doesn't have the ability to train as hard as he does, otherwise he wouldn't be perpetually injured. Less can be more, and I think he could hit those same performances without as much debilitating injury if he (or his coach?) weren't taking such risks

I think a bit of perspective is in order. His injuries have barely impacted on his career, unlike say Frodeno whose ITU career was vastly more crippled by physical problems. If AB had not suffered the various injuries he has, how many more races would he have won? Probably about five. Which set against what he has done (2 Olympic golds, Commonwealth gold, 22 ITU world series races), is trifling.

Incidentally, Jonny has only had one major injury since 2010 (stress fracture in 2015).
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:

Incidentally, Jonny has only had one major injury since 2010 (stress fracture in 2015).

Perhaps you don't consider it a major injury but the niggle that seemed to come out of his Boxing Day run plagued him enough early this year to put him in a position where he's pretty much out of the competition for the WTS overall when it was his stated goal before the season began. Any injury that scuttles your season is significant.

YMMV,

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
FeketeBlob wrote:

Perhaps you don't consider it a major injury but the niggle that seemed to come out of his Boxing Day run plagued him enough early this year to put him in a position where he's pretty much out of the competition for the WTS overall when it was his stated goal before the season began. Any injury that scuttles your season is significant.

YMMV,

Hugh

yeah I agree, a little niggle might cause a week or so on modified training, whereas a missed race or more is definitely an injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

That's a fair point. Not entirely clear what Jonny's problems have been this year. But this is only the second year in 8 seasons where injury and illness has really caused him problems.

Gomez has had stress fractures and numerous other problems, but these don't seem to seep into forum consciousness.

It does irk me slightly when people pontificate about AB's susceptibility to injury when it has caused him no real career problems at all. There's quite a funny bit on the 2014 TRS radio interview with Harry Wiltshire about this...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
sciguy wrote:

That's a fair point. Not entirely clear what Jonny's problems have been this year. But this is only the second year in 8 seasons where injury and illness has really caused him problems.

Jonny developed a problem with one of his hips at or just after the Chevin Chase on Boxing Day. It interfered with his training and forced him to skip the first couple of races of the season as well as Super League.

FeketeBlob wrote:
It does irk me slightly when people pontificate about AB's susceptibility to injury when it has caused him no real career problems at all. .

No career problems? If I remember correctly, Alistair has two WTS series Championships to his credit while Javier has five. Yes Javier would love to have a couple of Olympic Gold medals but his 5 series wins give credence to the idea that he has shown greater durability over the years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
kileyay wrote:

I think a bit of perspective is in order. His injuries have barely impacted on his career, unlike say Frodeno whose ITU career was vastly more crippled by physical problems. If AB had not suffered the various injuries he has, how many more races would he have won? Probably about five. Which set against what he has done (2 Olympic golds, Commonwealth gold, 22 ITU world series races), is trifling.

it's a bit ridiculous to think that injuries have "barely impacted" his career when he is almost perpetually hurt and has missed 4 of the last 5 grand finals. he would have won the following WTS events had he not had some form of injury:

2012 auckland grand final
2013 london grand final
2014 yokohama
2014 london
2015 rio test event
2015 chicago grand final
2016 gold coast
2016 cozumel grand final

despite all of his injuries, he still has 2 olympic golds and basically has been unbeatable when not hurt. this is all with truly horrific running form which no doubt has been a large contributor to his injuries. the sport is a lot worse off when he is not racing (even hurt). i sure hope he heals well and comes back guns ablazing next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
FeketeBlob wrote:
kileyay wrote:

it's a bit ridiculous to think that injuries have "barely impacted" his career when he is almost perpetually hurt and has missed 4 of the last 5 grand finals. he would have won the following WTS events had he not had some form of injury:

2013 london grand final
2014 yokohama
2014 london
2015 rio test event
2015 chicago grand final
2016 gold coast
2016 cozumel grand final

despite all of his injuries, he still has 2 olympic golds and basically has been unbeatable when not hurt. this is all with truly horrific running form which no doubt has been a large contributor to his injuries. the sport is a lot worse off when he is not racing (even hurt). i sure hope he heals well and comes back guns ablazing next year.

Wouldn't argue against any of that, good post.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee out [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:

2013 london grand final
2014 yokohama
2014 london
2015 rio test event
2015 chicago grand final
2016 gold coast
2016 cozumel grand final

What?? He missed Auckland 2012 because he was cashing in on his London gold medal. He wasn't injured! He came fourth in Yokohama and London in 2014, he wasn't in good form but insulting to the people who beat him to claim it is because he was injured. He had a bad race at the Gold Coast (it was incredibly hot and rumour was he overtrained, but certainly no injury), and at Cozumel, he was carrying someone!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is "cashing in on his London gold medal" supposed to mean? he skipped it because he was hurt -- not because he had booked a gig on dancing with the stars the day of auckland:

After winning the Olympic triathlon, Brownlee dealt with an injured knee — which, in turn, aggravated three separate issues in the ankle. “I joke that my ankle has had nine lives this year,” he told The Guardian.3 Though he was sore, he persisted and continued to compete on it — using physio-therapy, ice, and vitamin supplements to get by.

https://healingfeet.com/...ergoes-ankle-surgery

he wasn't in "good form" for the races in 2014 because he, drum roll, was coming off a major injury.

i just listed the races he entered while hurt or not fully recovered from injuries. there are a ton of other ones that he has skipped altogether due to injuries that he would have won had he not been hurt.

again, your prior statement that AB only has lost 5 races in his life due to injury is just as preposterous now as it was when you made it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next