Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ whatever to 1up. They're awesome and worth the money
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ a gazillion on the 1up USA. They are also modular, so I use the single rack often, but when I need a two bike holder I just add on another attachment. They are solid, well built and fold down quite small when not in use to store in my small garage. It is an expensive rack but worth the money.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I have: http://www.amazon.com/...396477413&sr=1-4

It is the least expensive 4 bike rack I found, comes with a lock for the hitch mount and a cable lock. You can easily take off the 2nd set of racks and it is a 2 bike rack most of the time, but if you ever need/want to transport friend's or family's bikes you have that option easily. It is "industrial" looking, but it is also very, very stable and secure as long as you remember to tighten it down and have the wheel holders adjusted to the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [aTomic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aTomic wrote:
+ a gazillion on the 1up USA. They are also modular, so I use the single rack often, but when I need a two bike holder I just add on another attachment. They are solid, well built and fold down quite small when not in use to store in my small garage. It is an expensive rack but worth the money.

1 more 1-Up ho here... been very happy w/ mine. Only ding I can come up with is it doesn't work well w/ fenders if you try and use it for a touring bike or commuter also, but that situation hasn't come up for me. Very easy to work with, super solid & secure, fits a wide range of bikes/wheel sizes, and folds/stores nicely in the shipping boxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1upusa. end of story.

I've owned 3 of the above, sold two, of them and will never sell the model I currently have on BOTH of our cars. The grades are given comparing them only to each other- not other racks. Also, mtbr.com, the most popular mt biking forum has an extensive forum and user reviews that score products. 1up USA wins the "best hitch" on their website hands down from users. There is even an 85 page forum posting with over 2100 replies discussing the merits of the 1up product and people showing off their purchase attached to their vehicle. If that isn't fanatical love, I don't know what is....

http://forums.mtbr.com/...k-review-602461.html

Saris Thelma- C minus

I give it a C minus, if it holds your bikes, if not- it's an F. It seems a little flimsy- lots of plastic, not that easy to take pin out (necessary to move it from stored position to lowered position), and if you have many of the newer aero bikes or any bike with tight clearance behind front wheel, it won't work at all! Works fine on a P3, does not work on a S3, super tight on a S1, and I would imagine it would NOT work on most (all) sizes of P5, P4, S5, etc. Harder to lock down super deep dish wheels with rear wheel system- you might need to jerry rig something (like velcro fasteners, etc.) Once my wife and I bought our S3s- we ditched the thelma.

Thule T2. - B minus

When we moved to this- we spent a bit of coin- hoping for the holy grail bike rack. Well- it's good initially... and has a nice handle that does a quick release to raise and lower the rack- much nicer than the Saris Thelma. But it is HEAVY... and then if you need to carry more than 2 bikes, it is so heavy that often you need two people two raise it up into the upright stored position- 1 person pulls the release lever, the other person picks up the probably 70 pound empty rack. My wife of 105 pounds was never able to lift the rack up- she was okay when just two bike kit was installed. It started to rust in areas- even though we always store the cars and Thule in the garage, never in the elements. I give this beast of a rack a B minus. Harder to lock down super deep dish wheels with Thule rear wheel system- you might need to jerry rig something (like velcro fasteners, etc.) Supposedly there's a youtube vide of the trays falling off a guys car. The rear wheel holder was broken when we received the rack in the mail. Thule's customer service was very easy to deal with and the sent out the free replacement parts promptly, without me providing any proof of anything. We never felt uneasy with the bikes on the rack- it held them solid.

1 Up USA Quick Rack- Solid A

It's not cheap if your hauling a lot of bikes, but dang it- it is worth every penny. It's actually comparable in price as the above Thule model. We now have these installed on both of cars- we always keep at least the single tray on each, so at a moments notice we can go somewhere carrying our bike or pick someone up that has a bike. It is very light weight- about 17 pounds for the main unit and then about 15 pounds for each add on. If you need to add an additional bike or two, it literally takes 20 seconds to add another tray. If you are slow- maybe it will take you 25 seconds. No exaggeration here, with lots of youtube videos showing the ease. With the single unit in the fully stored upright position- it does not go above our bumper- which means the rear tailgate can always be accessed- great for families with strollers/kids/junk that has to come from the trunk/grocery shopping etc. The other racks above, all make you tilt them down, access the trunk, and then tilt them back up- a royal pain. If you have more than one tray- there is a 45 degree option or so- that is not fully upright, but allows you to drive with the rack nearly upright, yet still access the trunk lift. It only holds the bikes by the wheels- so if you have 808s, 1080s, Jet 9s, whatever- this racks works. If you have expensive carbon frames or wheels that should not be clamped on- this is for you. You have mt bikes, kids bikes, etc, this is for you. Aluminum- won't rust, very nice engineering (patented), tilt down option- allows you to access trunk with 4 bikes installed, etc. My wife loves it, and so do I. Plus, I think it looks sporty and sharp for a rack. It takes, literally, 10 seconds (if you are slow) to load or unload your bike. I give it a solid A... Check out ebay and completed listings, there's a reason you never see this rack for sale used (only sold by 1upUSA on ebay)... people don't sell these used- because they are that good! Knowing how good they are today- I would have gladly paid more if I didn't have to go through the other two racks above to figure out the best.
In Reply To:
Last edited by: mcycle: Apr 2, 14 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in need of a hitch mount too. My problem is I have a Jeep with a wide spare tire on the back. Do any of these have an extension to get past the big tire? Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [schafjet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy hitch extensions. Check out a online hitch store or amazon for ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 1up and love it. As others have said, it's expensive. If you're looking for something cheaper, Inno offers one that racks bikes similarly to 1up. I've seen it used by the Jelly Belly Pro Cycling Team.

Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, + one more for 1UP!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't be a problem for the 1up rack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schafjet wrote:
I'm in need of a hitch mount too. My problem is I have a Jeep with a wide spare tire on the back. Do any of these have an extension to get past the big tire? Anyone else have this problem or have a solution?

1up has a bunch of hitch extension options on their website. Not sure if pricing is good on these, but a good place to get ideas.

http://www.1upusa.com/accessories.html
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
schafjet wrote:

1up has a bunch of hitch extension options on their website. Not sure if pricing is good on these, but a good place to get ideas.

http://www.1upusa.com/accessories.html

Hitch extenders at places like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight are much cheaper and typically are rated for towing (Class II/III etc).

I am now tempted to sell my T2 and pay the extra coin for the 1UP as I didn't realize it was expandable (when I first saw it).
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going from a T2 to a 1up is like going from a tricycle to a P5. No comparison. There is a decent T2 resale market, at least we were able to sell our old T2 easily when we upgraded.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [aTomic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the Kuat NV I have, it's worked out quite well. I don't use the work stand a whole lot, but it's come in handy a few times. I also like the built-in lock to keep the bikes "safe".

As for the 1Up, without having used one, it seems to be a great alternative. All else aside, the one reason I'd say it's worth it, and wouldn't consider anything else, is for carrying a bike with a disc/disc cover on the back. While I can put my bike with a disc on the back of the NV, I have to carefully run the strap through the disc valve hole. When I had a disc cover, this wasn't possible. This alone may be worth picking the 1Up depending on intended use.

Finally, I know a lot of these are expensive, but a lot of us are carrying bikes that are $3.5-$12K. It's money well spent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Kuat NV2 on the back of my Wrangler with spare tire mounted, no problems.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Deeznuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tire is even wider than that :-( I'll head to Northern Tool and look for the extensions. Thanks for all the replies.
Last edited by: schafjet: Apr 3, 14 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
I love the Kuat NV and I have heard a lot of similar great things about the 1UP as well.

I have some close up shots of the Kuat NV on my CX5. Just scroll down toward the bottom and you will see the rack.
http://www.thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...ouring-cyclists.html

I especially like the built in cable lock and in the Atlanta area I keep that puppy locked even when I am near the car :-)

Thanks for the pictures. Nice rides!

I like the Kuat NV specs & options, and couldn't pass up the REI price.
Subtotal$423.19 (SAVE20 coupon)
Standard shippingFREE
Oversize shipping charges$35.00
Tax $0.00
Dividend applied$352.27
Total due$105.92

/Howie Nordström
Last edited by: lllusion: Apr 3, 14 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:

I like the Kuat NV specs & options, and couldn't pass up the REI price.
Subtotal$423.19 (SAVE20 coupon)
Standard shippingFREE
Oversize shipping charges$35.00
Tax $0.00
Dividend applied$352.27
Total due$105.92

Jeebus....how much did you actually spend at REI last year to have that much dividend? I only had enough qualifying purchases for $16 bucks for mine but my non-qualified dividend purchases was triple that amount that did qualify. I like REI but they charge MSRP for way too much stuff and I shop elsewhere most of the time unless they have stuff on sale/clearance. Also, isn't shipping free if you do pick up at store? At least I thought it was even for that rack when I was thinking of pulling the trigger on one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 up is looking like the option I'm going to go with... One more question. Can I say carry a Fatbike in the winter months, then in the summer carry my Tri-bike. Wondering, because I saw on another site that you could carry the Fatbikes, but would that hinder my Tri-bike carrying options and visa-versa? Wondering about the tire sizes and any adapters that might be needed.
Last edited by: schafjet: Apr 3, 14 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The CycleOn would be the Saris model to compare against the 1Up and the Thule T2, not the Thelma. The CycleOn has the same platform-with-swing-arm design. I've been happy with mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only had experience with Thelma, so that's why my comments related to that product. I think there are a lot of good racks out there- but I also think 1up happens to be the best, per what the OP was asking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schafjet wrote:
1 up is looking like the option I'm going to go with... One more question. Can I say carry a Fatbike in the winter months, then in the summer carry my Tri-bike. Wondering, because I saw on another site that you could carry the Fatbikes, but would that hinder my Tri-bike carrying options and visa-versa? Wondering about the tire sizes and any adapters that might be needed.

They definitely sell fat tire accessory kits. The rack comes standard to fit road and typical mountain bike tires, and allows you to adjust to smaller framed bikes and tires. See this link for tires up to 4.5" wide. I do not have experience with accessory, though, but it looks just like their standard model, only wider, which should work perfectly. http://www.1upusa.com/...-spacerkitblack.html

Here are fat bikes on the product and people's favorable comments- mtbr http://forums.mtbr.com/...t-1upusa-761116.html

Last edited by: mcycle: Apr 3, 14 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.

The Thelma wouldn't even be on my radar, not with so many solid (and better, IMO) options in the "swing-arm" category.

Full disclosure, Saris HQ is in my neighborhood, so I didn't want to see the local folks ruled out without their better product being mentioned ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a jeep rubicon with big knobby tires and use a 1up. I bought the extender thinking I would need it but never did so returned it. You won't be able to slide it all the way into the hitch but I contacted the guys from 1up and they said you don't have to. Its totally sturdy and I've used it for the last 3.5 years without a problem.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
frankienm wrote:
great report and great car, just bought a 14' mazda3s touring hatchback. same white color too.

Thanks
My wife has an 07 mazda3 and I would like to talk her into the 14 3.

I just bought the 14 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatch. Love it.

I carry my bike inside the hatch. I'm looking for a rack to carry more than one bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next