Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hey, I just got a hitch installed on my suv as the trunk mounted bike rack i had was waaaay too sketchy. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had a reccomendation on a hitch mounted bike rack? Brand , Model etc? I am looking at some online and some of the straps that hold the bike to the rack look like they might not work with the wide tri frame etc..

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the Cadillac of bike racks. It's fit every road or tri bike I've tried hauling. I have a Scott Plasma, and it fits fine. The rack has lots of rubber in the places you want it most. Granted the velcro strap they include for locking your front wheel in place aren't very long but that was easily remedied with a bungee cord.

The best part is my wife who is a bit short can lower the rack to get bikes on and off very easily. It lowers while maintaining horizontal to the ground. It also has a cable that will pull out and over the top tubes, you supply the lock.

http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/softride_dura_hitch_bike_rack

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Yakima DoubleDown. I have the older DoubleDown 5 (family of 4 and an extra slot for a friend) and it's on my SUV all of the time. Even my 8 year-old daughter can lower the rack with no problem. When the bike is secured, I can lower the rack without taking the bike off the rack. The rack is also useful for hanging my wetsuit before and after a races/OWS.

Just keep swimming...

SebastianAravena.com | facebook | RODS Racing
Rudy Project | Slick Products | Duro Tires | Globe | Ride Live be. | A3 Bar | Tri-Flow | LifeProof | Totally Local
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thule T2. Had one since 2008 hooked to a Hidden Hitch on my Subaru. Never a problem with 1/2 Tri Bikes. Only possible gripe is the strap that helps secure the rear wheel down to the tray should be a little longer to accomodate deep dish (808) wheels.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever rack you look at go for one that the bike sits in (Thule T2 for example) rather than one where the bike hangs from the frame.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yakima HoldUp. Love it. Put a hitch on my accord and can switch to or 4Runner in under a minute. No straps to mess and no friction points with the frame. Awesome rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell1122 wrote:
Hey, I just got a hitch installed on my suv as the trunk mounted bike rack i had was waaaay too sketchy. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had a reccomendation on a hitch mounted bike rack? Brand , Model etc? I am looking at some online and some of the straps that hold the bike to the rack look like they might not work with the wide tri frame etc..

Thanks

I will always prefer a platform rack to a hanging rack. Full disclosure, I work for a Thule dealer. However we sell a couple of different brands and I recommend the following every time.

http://www.thule.com/...bike-916xtr-_-916xtr

Since it clamps the front wheel, your frame can be any shape at all. It also doesn't have the "centerpost" that most platform racks do, this makes loading the rack much easier, especially with 2 bikes on the rack.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a basket, and then mount a locking Thule fork mount to it. You can fold it up when not in use, you can mount multiple bikes, and you can use it for other things when not being used for your bike.

Think about it...Theyre also really cheap!
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Saris Thelma 3 bike hitch mount. It is great! Straps go on wheels, not frame. Only issue I have is strapping a disc wheel, just need more straps to wrap over wheel.
http://www.amazon.com/...ma+3-bike+hitch+rack
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuat Racks are the best I've seen and used.

http://kuatracks.com/en/
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [HOWSER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions...I will look into these today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOWSER wrote:

+1 for this as I almost bought one of these but went with a different route because I found a craigslist deal that I couldn't pass up.

But, to the OP, if you are buying new REI is having their annual 20% sale and it should work on Thule and Kuat (they are special order for their racks). I was going to buy the Kuat from REI with the sale until I got an opportunity to pickup a Thule T2 for a smoking deal on my local craigslist (can't say no to $100 for a fully functioning T2 but I got lucky and the guy I bought it from is buying an NV to replace it but it was working fine). (I did get the 20% coupon to work online in my cart for the NV a couple of months back for a different 20% sale they had for online orders and it if you ship to store they won't charge shipping but I never pulled the trigger as I was waiting on my divedend).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up

Hands down, awesome rack : http://www.1upusa.com/

After almost daily use for the last year, including two cross country trips (21 states!) with full a 26er squish, road/cx bike & a big 29er hard tail - bikes are still rock solid in the rack. Mounting on the hitch is super simple. Bikes are easy on, easy off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thule T2 is great but sort of heavy. If you are a REI member, use your dividend and 20% off coupon for a pretty good deal. I really like the bottom wheel holder of the T2 much more than my old hitch frame holder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell1122 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions...I will look into these today!

x2. Kuat NV2 gets my vote.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOWSER wrote:
Which one do you recommend? I don't see a comparison chart on their website.

japarker24 wrote:
x2. Kuat NV2 gets my vote.
What about it do you like over the Thule T2 XTR? It does get good reviews on REI.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the Sherpa. With the NV you can add an "add on" that allows for an additional 2 bikes to be carried (4 total). A cycling buddy of mine has it and it's quite nice (and $$).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kuat. did a road race couple of weekends ago with a bud of mine and he had one. totally impressed with structure. most sturdy, and functional rack i have ever used/seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Kuat NV and I have heard a lot of similar great things about the 1UP as well.

I have some close up shots of the Kuat NV on my CX5. Just scroll down toward the bottom and you will see the rack.
http://www.thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/...ouring-cyclists.html

I especially like the built in cable lock and in the Atlanta area I keep that puppy locked even when I am near the car :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great report and great car, just bought a 14' mazda3s touring hatchback. same white color too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the 1upusa. From tri, to 29er's this thing is the bomb. Expensive but worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: Best hitch mounted bike rack for Tri bike [frankienm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankienm wrote:
great report and great car, just bought a 14' mazda3s touring hatchback. same white color too.

Thanks
My wife has an 07 mazda3 and I would like to talk her into the 14 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat all day long! I use my Kuat to haul everything from roadbikes, to full suspension 29'er, long travel 27.5" and Trek Speed Concepts without any worries!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Kuat NV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up racks is awesome. Just read up recently on a thread like this and it came highly recommended. Purchased recently, although it is a bit pricier and heavy it is well built and solid. And takes like 5 seconds to put the bike on and off. The most important part to me was, the rack does not touch your frame ever or your wheels. It literally just touches tires only. So you can have your race wheels attached and not worry about Velcro and all the straps and other crap
Quote Reply

Prev Next