Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the race plan screen:

Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I see where it is now. It looks like I can't access it since I only have a trial/free account. I'm thinking it's probably worth $20 since I don't do an IM that often...

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use this coupon (25% off) BBSTREK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On it. Thanks!

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is, if you don't stick to the plan or the model is off, your TSS will be higher.

I had a goal of 260 at IMWI and rode 285TSS because I rode a little hard on the hills so my VI was high.

I'd love to know how close I have been if I paced it perfectly to their model.

Too bad you can't work the model backwards, and put in your AP, NP and and have it spit out a time based on less than ideal pacing... just to benchmark the aero model and then to see how much faster you would have gone if paced better.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew saw you post last night and got a little worried, didn't have time to look into it till now. Glad to see that based on some others feedback it doesn't sound *too* off.

I left the CdA and rolling resistance values as the defaults. This is on a P3C with with all aero goodies.

With an IF of .70 I have a projected TSS of ~250 which seems right about inline with where I want to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSS is in the system. It's just on the paid version...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the works :) Well taking actual ride file in and doing some different metrics than garmin, golden c, etc (don't want to recreate the wheel).

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting a better course up this evening will post here when I get it on the system. Most pros tend to stick to the cheat sheet. You can also do some adjustment on it try at various 10 watt increments up and down from target and come up with a baseline with plus and minus watts for various conditions. We used that tactic for a couple pros, so they could get a feel out on the course then adjust accordingly.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I look forward to it. I went ahead and subscribed to take advantage of the TSS model.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably needs to be in another thread but I am set up for Chat as well.

When it says get weather, it starts the ride at 53 degrees. Does the model take into account rising temps or should an average be put in there?

Also I have it set on poor roads. What is everyone setting their road conditions for to get as close as possible to accurate with correct pacing?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are working on taking in up to 8 hours of forecast data for now I would use the average. I know it is a big deal at windy races (especially for coastal races). I usually say choose the road conditions you see across the majority of the race. For most it would be average (poor would be mostly cracked or light chip seal for most of the race).

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
~C wrote:
Also I have it set on poor roads. What is everyone setting their road conditions for to get as close as possible to accurate with correct pacing?

I have it set on poor, wind 10mph from the west, and it still says I can ride 5:01 for 116 on 240NP, 274 TSS, and I'm 6'3" 80kg. For reference, I did a lap of the course a few weeks ago (out stick, one loop, in stick) at 21mph on 240NP with no aero toys, stopping at lights, stop signs, taking a couple wrong turns, flat tire, etc. 22mph with toys sounds more reasonable, 23mph no way.

FWIW it predicted my Muncie and Steelhead times about 3 minutes faster than I went. I must be a human sail.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do find that many triathletes (including me) tend to over estimate how aero they are. Especially in full IM setup. My hope is to be able to fine tune the CdA variables much easier with actual ride test data soon. Testing with TFR data to see how close our method comes to the wind tunnel and velodrome testing. If I had spare development time it could go much faster. Right now though time to make sure our course is good for you guys.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
We do find that many triathletes (including me) tend to over estimate how aero they are. Especially in full IM setup. My hope is to be able to fine tune the CdA variables much easier with actual ride test data soon. Testing with TFR data to see how close our method comes to the wind tunnel and velodrome testing. If I had spare development time it could go much faster. Right now though time to make sure our course is good for you guys.

I'm riding a 2014 Speed Concept but selected "standard TT/Tri bike" and "aerobars/advanced." I changed the "advanced" to "midpack" and it brought it down to 5:13 which seems more reasonable. Anyway you guys do a fine job and I know it's not perfect but it's fun to play with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay finally got a "verified" course in the system, meaning it follows the correct roads though. I think I start it a bit out of transition and end a bit before so 115.9 miles :)
It's called
2014 Ironman Chattanooga (update)

and you can filter on verified courses. Working on speeding up the queries on the courses page.

http://www.bestbikesplit.com/public-course?c=10271

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I added the updated verified course. Thank you for that. I have a question on the TSS model. How should one determine what TSS to use? Is there any rhyme or reason to it such as a stronger runner should be able to run off of a higher TSS, etc.? Or is it typically pretty much an even trade off. Bike easier/run faster, bike harder/run slower (in theory)? I think that the range AndyF stated was 250-270.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sp1ke. I was about to post the same thing :)

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the link. I will read it now. I realize that there are books for all of the questions I am asking since I have seen posts about them many times. Since I just got my power meter very recently I don't have time to go that route this time so that is why I'm just trying to get the Cliffs Notes. I will look into the books once this IM is finished.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To summarize, if you are:

a) beginner, unsure of your run then target TSS 249 - 262
b) decent athlete and trained consistently 260 - 286
c) the real Starky then 281 - 309
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just read that article and looked at the chart earlier this week. I think I was just researching so much that I was doing laps around myself, but now I will stop! I believe I've found my number/s...

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also going to work on many more support docs in the off season as well as some new automated features to help each athlete fine tune input parameters for specific environmental conditions (racing in hot temps / high humidity / different altitudes etc). The current model takes all of these into consideration for the physics but expand it to the physiological side as well.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of questions on inputs. For example how do you determine the difference on position? You could get drastically different results in output on that single variable alone. Further explaination or guidance there would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [jsamples53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is the biggest source of variation. We are working on a way to hone the number in much better, but in the mean time you can use a previous race and adjust the 0 yaw value (which will calculate drag at other yaw angles) so that the average power (not normalized power) match your average power and the times match closely to what you actually did. While this is of course not perfect our users who do this tend to get very good results. Going forward we have what I think is a slick solution that in testing has gotten really really good results. I wanted to have it out this month, but Interbike threw a week delay in my time-table.

Amazonian
Quote Reply

Prev Next