Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content)
Quote | Reply
So, how does it look? Would/should this set up for a good run? I'm new-ish to power and this will be my first go at a full with such information. My current FTP is 251, 155 lbs. I'm looking to run <3:20 (marathon PR 2:58 in December, but maybe faster now according to Daniels calculator and more recent shorter race results). My current plan is to sit on 175W NP. I have read up on the subject via ST search function and the Googles. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://www.bestbikesplit.com/public-race?r=8969

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do decide on doing, post back after the race. I'm very curious how it turns out if you decide your target race wattage on this tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [ngless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind to do that at all. I figured that others could maybe benefit from the info so that's why I made a thread versus just PM'ing a couple of ST gurus.

I rented a Powertap wheel at Muncie and the numbers/times from BBS and actual were very close. I had never raced with a PM or used BBS before. I had an okay run, but was admittedly a little slower than I had hoped for. I do think that heat and rollers played a bit of a factor there. Muncie bike was just under 2:28 and my run was 1:35. As we all know, a half and a full IM are two different animals, though...

Now I own a PT wheel and I will cover it for IM Chattanooga. I am renting an 808 front.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

So this is what BBS suggests I ride for a NP model of 75%. This is the old version, not 116mi. Seems like decent speed (for me) without much work. FTP is 178 ish. Seems too easy.. but then, I'm tapering off of JonnyO coaching... :OP
Race OverviewCourseIronman ChattanoogaDistance181.02 kmTime 5 hours 49 mins 27 secsAvg. Speed31.08 kphAvg. Power127.94 wattsNormalized Power®130.37 wattsVariability Index1.02Intensity Factor®0.74Training Stress Score®321Watts/Kg2.13Avg. Yaw9.50 °BikeP2Public Link bestbikesplit.com/public-race?r=605Cheat Sheet bestbikesplit.com/watt-hin

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [vmeikle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just updated to the 116 mile version today; I had been using the 112 mile one prior. I'd like to ride a higher IF, but I really want to set up for a good run (I'm not saying that you won't at 0.74). I'm wondering if I'm being overly cautious and that is a big part of why I posted here. Muncie that I mentioned above was right at 0.8 and 201W NP.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, my pic. didn't show up.
well you're a zillion times faster than me on the run, so you behave on the bike.... and I'll have fun - just kidding...

I recently did an iron swim/bike at 70% FTP, and felt like I had legs after. I'll probably behave myself, especially since we have all of those extra miles :OP
I'm interested in what others on here have to say too.

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [vmeikle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the extra four miles at the beginning or the end of the bike? Was that ever clarified??? ;)

Since I'm not certain I better play it safe and stick to 0.70 as to not mess up my run...

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have near identical numbers (245W & 155lbs). I used BBS for IMWI planning. I hit the AP target and was a little high on the NP but still below 75%. (I was very disciplined, but w/o a compact crank there was no way I could hit the projected variability index.) The BBS projection was only 90 seconds faster than my actual moving time (i.e. accurate to one half of one percent). The BBS cheat sheet is a great guide for different situations/terrains. It set me up for a very good run on the run fitness that I took into the race.

Saying whether it will work for you though is hard without more context. Biggest key: it should still feel easy 5 hours into the bike.

Side note: Assuming other inputs are similar, IM CHOO 116 mile is ~4 minutes faster than IM WI 112 mile. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a really nifty plan to ride a certain wattage and low VI at IMWI. Didn't happen. I let myself get sucked in to riding harder up the hills early on when following the leader in my AG. I figured hell, he's a 4x veteran on this course if he's not going slow up the early hills, then screw it, I'm not either. Worked out OK, but I wonder if I gave up some time be riding a little less even on pacing. It was my 1st IM so I can't really say for sure if it hurt my run, having never run more than 13.1 off the bike.

All I'm saying is ... good luck with that. I'm nailed pacing on 70.3's where you're riding a lot harder. But when things slow down it's harder to back off on all those climbs and rolling hills.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that number is a good conservative plan. Keep in mind that if you last build went well and you've tapered, you FTP might be a little higher, so don;t be afraid to ride just a tad higher. Also don't be surprised if depending on wind, it takes you just a little longer than predicted. Wind can change over 5+ hours.... and it's often not favorable.

My reminder on the run is to go out slow. Go out in a 7:30... no faster, maybe even a tad slower in mile 1-2. Then lock it in. It will get harder, but if you don't start cramping up, I think you can battle it out and maintain it to the end and even speed up a bit the last 5k. I didn't believe you could do negative splits, but looking at my limiting factors and how my pace slowed less that it felt like it dropped, I think it's very possible. But maybe I also over biked a little and under performed on the run a little too. Hard to say for sure. I know I'd love a "do-over" on those first 3 miles.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ngless wrote:
Whatever you do decide on doing, post back after the race. I'm very curious how it turns out if you decide your target race wattage on this tool.

I used BBS for IMWI and it's almost spot on. Definitely within 90 seconds of accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sticking with .70 IF as well for IMCHOO (first IM). I'm ~158lb and 280W FTP. Below is a screenshot of my bestbikesplit (happy to compare notes afterward). I redid my bestbikesplit based on the longer course (uploaded it as a public course on the site)

http://www.bestbikesplit.com/public-race?r=8633

edit: oh on review, I see you used the course file uploaded
Last edited by: robin, run: Sep 16, 14 15:36
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
22.4 mph on 196 watts? Seems fast for that number of watts. What did you put in for CdA and rolling resistance?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys sorry for the delay on a verified course for this. I was told they changed it up a bit in some sections and will update it tomorrow (still 116 miles...) Have you tried the TSS target model for running well off the bike. A couple athletes used this method at St. Criox and IM MT with really good results (good runs off the bike that is).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used BBS for IMMT and was within 1.5%. I use it for training to calibrate the coefficients and you get pretty good results. I think it is also good for setting realistic long term goals for IM distance races.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
22.4 mph on 196 watts? Seems fast for that number of watts. What did you put in for CdA and rolling resistance?

Seems reasonable to me.....I averaged 23 mph on 195w @ Racine. Guess it depends on rider size, etc.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:

Seems reasonable to me.....I averaged 23 mph on 195w @ Racine. Guess it depends on rider size, etc.
I averaged 22.71 at Muncie this year on 190W so, yeah, that seems legit to me, too.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22.2 on 219AP... on a very hilly course. Very possible for a smaller rider. How close is is for your other races? Have you gone back and plugged in the same average watts?

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds solid to me. Thanks for your input. I was already thinking about going out easy the first couple of miles, even if I'm feeling great. I agree that 7:30-7:45 would be good just to get a feel for where my legs are at. Basically all of my run training, long runs, etc. leading up to this has been in the 7:20 range which is my "all day" pace. I love to negative split (who doesn't?) so that will be the goal. I hope to start out conservative and just keep turning the screws a little tighter mile by mile.

To your more recent post, Muncie was the only time I've used power so that is the only data I have to go by.

Also, I enjoyed reading your recent race report, congrats! Unfortunately, I'm a slow swimmer so I don't have to worry about KQ and such!

motoguy128 wrote:
I think that number is a good conservative plan. Keep in mind that if you last build went well and you've tapered, you FTP might be a little higher, so don;t be afraid to ride just a tad higher. Also don't be surprised if depending on wind, it takes you just a little longer than predicted. Wind can change over 5+ hours.... and it's often not favorable.

My reminder on the run is to go out slow. Go out in a 7:30... no faster, maybe even a tad slower in mile 1-2. Then lock it in. It will get harder, but if you don't start cramping up, I think you can battle it out and maintain it to the end and even speed up a bit the last 5k. I didn't believe you could do negative splits, but looking at my limiting factors and how my pace slowed less that it felt like it dropped, I think it's very possible. But maybe I also over biked a little and under performed on the run a little too. Hard to say for sure. I know I'd love a "do-over" on those first 3 miles.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rowan Jones wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:

I averaged 22.71 at Muncie this year on 190W so, yeah, that seems legit to me, too.

Went back and looked at your original post.....we are clearly in the same ballpark as it pertains to FTP, weight, etc. (I'm a few lbs under you @ 150).

Not familiar with the Choo course, but know it is supposed to be hilly. If it is similar to IMWI, your numbers look pretty good. I road 180NP @ Wisconsin and went 5:27. BSS had me @ 180w for 20mph avg, but the wind was lighter than my model (5 mph vs 10 in the model). I'm using my NP because I coasted quite a bit on the hills, so my avg power was quite a bit lower (155).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not IF or NP that you should be looking at, but rather TSS. You should budget 250-270 TSS for the bike leg.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... Okay. How can you forecast that? I rode a century three weeks ago (no aero gear) at 172W (182W NP, .0724 IF) that netted a TSS of 255.7. Can I assume that adding 16 more miles to that I would still be in that 250-270 TSS range? By looking at the HR and power data from my ride you can clearly see that I started pushing harder the last 40 minutes of the ride and that is where the NP (and TSS I assume?) creeped up. I obviously wouldn't do that during an IM...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/578735995
AndyF wrote:
It's not IF or NP that you should be looking at, but rather TSS. You should budget 250-270 TSS for the bike leg.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rowan Jones wrote:
Hmmm... Okay. How can you forecast that? I rode a century three weeks ago (no aero gear) at 172W (182W NP, .0724 IF) that netted a TSS of 255.7. Can I assume that adding 16 more miles to that I would still be in that 250-270 TSS range? By looking at the HR and power data from my ride you can clearly see that I started pushing harder the last 40 minutes of the ride and that is where the NP (and TSS I assume?) creeped up. I obviously wouldn't do that during an IM...

You might ask MrCooper to add that as a constraint in BBS. He's really keen to do anything to improve BBS, I'm sure!

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering what IF are you targeting on your long rides? I'm doing IMFL and I'm 14 weeks in. All of my long rides so far I've done IF .73 and 7-8 of those were > 100mi. I'm also 154 lbs and my FTP is 248 though I haven't tested in a while.

I'm using BBS to project my race time and I should be able to go 5:07 at IF .73. I actually rode a flat 112 TT at those watts and did exactly 5:07 with race wheels (no disc) and road helmet and kit. I also back tested BBS on my last 70.3 race this weekend where I rode .81 and went 2:26 which was 3 seconds faster than the BBS race plan. Conclusion, I believe BBS is legit :)

I'm considering "sand bagging" the bike and ride .70 or .71 during my race just because this is my first IM and my first marathon so frankly I'm a little creeped out by it. I do think it's a good idea to train at a higher IF though. Is there anything to gain by going even higher e.g. .75 in training?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split Race Plan (IM Chattanooga Content) [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw your post. I am new to BBS so I'll have to plead ignorance here so I do apologize. Where is the "TSS target model"? I am currently only signed up for the free/trial account if that matters in regard to my question. Also, are you saying that there will be an updated Chattanooga course listed today? BBS has my current projected TSS at 274 it appears.

Mrcooper wrote:
Hey guys sorry for the delay on a verified course for this. I was told they changed it up a bit in some sections and will update it tomorrow (still 116 miles...) Have you tried the TSS target model for running well off the bike. A couple athletes used this method at St. Criox and IM MT with really good results (good runs off the bike that is).

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply

Prev Next