Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Benefits of run training in the HEAT?
Quote | Reply
Do to a full time job and family i train whenever i can. Most times I'm training in the middle of the day. I live in South Florida where this time of the year it's 95 degrees with humidity at 1,000.

It's flipping HOT here!!!

What benefit other than acclimation I'm i getting on these hot runs?

Note: i drink lots of water making sure my pee is clear clear clear before heading on these 6-8mi runs at around 2pm 3pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [finsfree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acclimation is about it.
if you aren't training for hot races it is usually better to go somewhere cooler (or wake up early) so you can run faster.

But keep at it and the winter will feel amazing!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acclimatation is one but you might be losing in other aspect. I recommend you do your speed work, intervals in colder time of the day or on the treadmill so quality of those session isn't compromise. Not all session needs to be done in the heat to get good acclimation.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. Does training in this heat, albeit different heat, prepare someone for Kona?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's starting to become cold over here now that summer is ending. I'm not looking forward to running in the cold. Wished I could live in Florida so I could train in good weather!

Learning new things about cycling everyday as I work as an marketing intern at Alimay Sports
Last edited by: cyclingintern: Aug 21, 14 3:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's kind of like training at altitude- big cardiovascular fitness benefit, but compromised quality speed. If you can get speed/tempo runs done in the cool weather then leave you LSD stuff in the heat that's probably ideal.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you just love it when folks unfamiliar with your conditions suggest running at a cooler time of the day? They just simply don't understand that those times just don't exist. I'm in Houston and we have very similar conditions. If I wake up early to run it's roughly 80 degrees at 4-5am but with 99% humidity. Or I can go later in the day when the humidity is a touch lower but the temps are approaching 100 degrees. Pick your poison.

Personally due to time constraints I do all my runs longer than about 40 minutes early in the morning. Everything else I do at the office on the treadmill. If I keep it to 40 minutes or less I can handle the mental effort of a treadmill run plus be showered and changed in a respectable amount of time such that my co-workers don't notice my absence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer in the garage, most runs starting at 5am or earlier. Speed work is done on the treadmill or done somewhere where I can take a break with shade. Even running that early it is almost impossible to stay hydrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Don't you just love it when folks unfamiliar with your conditions suggest running at a cooler time of the day? They just simply don't understand that those times just don't exist. I'm in Houston and we have very similar conditions. If I wake up early to run it's roughly 80 degrees at 4-5am but with 99% humidity. Or I can go later in the day when the humidity is a touch lower but the temps are approaching 100 degrees. Pick your poison

Same conditions here in NC, get up early to avoid sun and you bump up against 100 percent humidity wait till later and its 95 degrees.

People just dont understand the climate down south.

I do the early shift just to avoid the sun, too much previous sun exposure on my poor skin.

Ron W.

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [rjsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the quality workouts like speed & tempo less effective?

I read something about plasma build up which helps with transferring red blood cells when training in the heat. This seems beneficial.

I know I'm getting detailed, but i just want to have something to boost me up as to why I'm running in the middle of the day. I should be well acclimated by now. Lol!

I want to make sure I'm not running too hard though. I do an 8mi run at 8min pace . I get that sick feeling in my throat after which makes it hard to eat and swallow.

Does anybody out there get this feeling and if so could i just be running too hard?
Last edited by: finsfree: Aug 21, 14 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for acclimation to heat, it'll be that much better when you race in cooler temperatures as well as races in South Florida. I wish I had that for the Miami Marathon last year!
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
acclimatation is one but you might be losing in other aspect. I recommend you do your speed work, intervals in colder time of the day or on the treadmill so quality of those session isn't compromise. Not all session needs to be done in the heat to get good acclimation.

^ This.

Don't compromise the goals of the session to acclimate in the heat. If you are doing a track workout, or strength workout, etc to build specific adaptions and the heat will compromise this try to stay away from the heat (if possible). Remember heat is another stress on the body, and will limit your ability to perform at your best effort in certain workouts. Do you need to add another stress? Do you factor in that you might need to recover more?
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've worked under the (hopefully not false) assumption that the benefit of running everything but speedwork in the heat is that when the weather cools, I will be faster than I would have without the heat training. Is this incorrect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to answer your question there is one physiological adaptation to acclimating and that is the fact that as you train you get less and less negatively effected by training in the heat. training in not optimal environments leads to not optimal responses until the environment becomes comfortable to you. but there is no adaptation other than that. so really its just acclimating and the comfort that leads to. but at those temperatures you speak of you will always be at a slight disadvantage than those who can train in environments that cool the body at high intensities.

as to the altitude stuff, its a wash unless you live at altitude. most studies test one or at the most 2 variables and do see a drop or raise in certain aerobic components to fitness. the key is to understand the whole aerobic model and what is happening to an athlete at altitude. living there is great, going for a weekend... not so much. we respond to the performance not the effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Does training in this heat, albeit different heat, prepare someone for Kona?

I don't think so at least not so much. Used to live in a very humid climate and to me a dry heat is much more tolerable. Maybe some people are the other way around and both entail different challenges. Maybe you'll build a general mental toughness that will help in Kona but your coping strategies will probably differ.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [nhmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhmorgan wrote:
I've worked under the (hopefully not false) assumption that the benefit of running everything but speedwork in the heat is that when the weather cools, I will be faster than I would have without the heat training. Is this incorrect?

probably
because any hot runs you replaced with cool runs you could do them faster, or longer.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Don't you just love it when folks unfamiliar with your conditions suggest running at a cooler time of the day? They just simply don't understand that those times just don't exist. I'm in Houston and we have very similar conditions. If I wake up early to run it's roughly 80 degrees at 4-5am but with 99% humidity. Or I can go later in the day when the humidity is a touch lower but the temps are approaching 100 degrees. Pick your poison.

That's how swimming suddenly became my favourite sport over the summer. I find that when the temps crest 40C (105F?) midday and the humidity drowns you early in the morning, any runs longer than 30-40 minutes impact my recovery too much to be worth it.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only way I can run between May and November is inside on a treadmill

temperature outside at 7pm after sun set, 39 celcius, temperature in middle of the day low to mid 40's up to mid 50's, temperature at midnight in July low 40's - thats as cool as it gets

so treadmill, room at 22 degree's - off we go
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think training in extreme heat like that helps you mentally. I spent the last month training in 120+ degrees and it was absolutely terrible. I'd run sometimes at 10pm or later but it was still over 100 at that time. I don't know if I got any real fitness bonus out of that month that I wouldn't of gotten elsewhere but being able to struggle through will make running in more normal temps feel a lot easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on the SW coast of Florida. Admittedly I'm a "morning person" to start with, but I like to get up early and run before sunrise. Even at 6AM it's 80F with 80% RH this time of year, so I'm still dripping wet by the time I finish.

I much prefer that to running in the oven-like afternoon when you also have to contend with the direct sun. My HR likes to spike when I run in the afternoon, forcing me to slow down. A few times I've gotten so overheated that I just shut it down and walked home in the middle of a workout. Not very fun or productive from my standpoint.

I suppose another option is running in the evening, but we place a high value on always having dinner as a family and then spending time together, so I prefer not to do anything that interferes with that. Lifestyle choice on my part.

One of the things I do try to do is schedule some training at the same time of day that I'll be racing. So assuming a 7AM race time, I'll do some runs starting out at 8:30-9:00 so I can acclimatize myself to what I'm likely to experience during the race.

Mark
Last edited by: Redcorvette: Aug 22, 14 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in South Florida too training for IMFL. I do two of my runs on the treadmill and my long run on the weekend outside. I probably run 2-3 hours / week on the treadmill - it's boring as hell but I don't care. Sometimes I split a 1h30 treadmill run and do 30 min in the morning and 1h in the afternoon. For my long run I've tried early mornings when it's less hot but humid and I tried 4-5pm when it's a little dryer and the Sun is lower that you can find some shade. I prefer the late afternoons especially when there's a little breeze. I run with a small water bottle and do small 30 min loops so I can get more water, gels etc... I have a small cooler set up in my driveway.

finsfree wrote:
Do to a full time job and family i train whenever i can. Most times I'm training in the middle of the day. I live in South Florida where this time of the year it's 95 degrees with humidity at 1,000.

It's flipping HOT here!!!

What benefit other than acclimation I'm i getting on these hot runs?

Note: i drink lots of water making sure my pee is clear clear clear before heading on these 6-8mi runs at around 2pm 3pm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll also get an increase in blood/plasma volume, primarily from the big swing in dehydration/hydration daily, not a bad thing.
And it'll just make you a tougher human being, not a bad thing either.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
logella wrote:

That's how swimming suddenly became my favourite sport over the summer. I find that when the temps crest 40C (105F?) midday and the humidity drowns you early in the morning, any runs longer than 30-40 minutes impact my recovery too much to be worth it.

Hah, the pool's not much better! With the heat and humidity, we're lucky if the pool is less than 82F -- makes intervals that are manageable at 77F feel downright impossible.

In Houston (and other similar climates), there just aren't any good options for running in "cool" weather. I'd rather deal with it than run on a treadmill though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea other than I always train early in the morning and never in the heat. But when I get into a race where it is hot, I seem to do okay so I see no reason to kill myself training in the heat.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of run training in the HEAT? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in tucson.
I used to do all of my running outside.
I concluded that it is best to do tempo and long runs (15 + miles) on the treadmill.
All other runs outside. Recovery and performance is best this way.

Not that it matters much (swimming is my strength) but the biggest problem in Tucson in the summer is the swim.
I can usually do 100yds in the 1.05-1.10 range. When that water gets into the 90s, it is 1:20-1:30 (and it feels hard).
Quote Reply

Prev Next