Quote | Reply
looks like John finished in 59:30

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

I was just watching a FB thread on this, he was the only finisher. Other guy (Gary) didn't make it in time
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
stevej wrote:

I was just watching a FB thread on this, he was the only finisher. Other guy (Gary) didn't make it in time

Canadian Running Magazine had done a few stories in the leadup on Gary, and the training he was doing. His accomplishment to make it as far as he did is incredible, but I can't imagine the devastation to come up just short in a 60-hour race 2 years in a row.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#BM100 Twitter account said "2 minutes to go", and that was 15 minutes ago, so looks like Gary did not make it. Devastating after putting so much in to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, 6 measly seconds. however, he came in to the gate from the same direction from which he left, when he should have come from the opposite direction. he had all the pages, but somehow got turned around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to laugh at Barkley's with a race, what starting whenever the guy wants (you wait for the horn to signal 1 hour to start), the course is described as being "out there" and cuts a guy 6s too late. #ironic

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I believe Gary won the HURT 100, setting the course record, which rated one of the nastiest ultras ever - In the jungles of Hawaii. Gary can win that thing overall, but can't even finish Barkley in time... says a lot about how nasty Barkley is.

Pic of some of the HURT 100 course. I can only imagine how bad the Barkley one is.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 3, 17 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is brutal. From now on when I think I am having a bad day, I'll just remember this, and it'll help put it all into perspective. I don't even know any of these participants, but, somehow, I feel absolutely awful for the poor guy- hope he is not thinking, "if I had only not stopped to tie my shoe that one time..." I worry he could get wrapped up in the what-ifs with that result.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Video of his finish...

http://runningmagazine.ca/...ley-marathons-recap/

I have followed Gary for a number of years and watched all of the Ginger Runner videos where Gary was included...he is an amazing dude...this is devastating for him. He worked his ass off training for this. He ascended 214,843 ft. running just in 2017 in preparation for this race...that's INSANE.

Here is a GR lead-up video that gives some context to how devastating this will be for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzRMQXCK0g
Last edited by: badgertri: Apr 3, 17 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never done an ultra marathon or even a trail race. Probably never will. But I was completely invested in Gary's journey and was devastated to see him come so close. I can't even watch these videos, I feel so heartbroken for him.

I suppose there is always next year but how much PTSD can one guy take??? The Barkley sounds like hell on earth. I hope he recovers (mentally even more than physically) and finds something positive in the whole thing.

Trying to decide if this is worse than finishing third at Olympic Trials and missing the team by by 0.01. I feel like it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also finished coming from the wrong direction. He ran the last loop CCW, so he should have been finishing coming downhill from the trail. Not coming uphill on that paved section. He made a wrong turn somewhere, possibly within the last 90 minutes and that may have cost him that 6 seconds.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
He also finished coming from the wrong direction. He ran the last loop CCW, so he should have been finishing coming downhill from the trail. Not coming uphill on that paved section. He made a wrong turn somewhere, possibly within the last 90 minutes and that may have cost him that 6 seconds.

Yeah, in the video, you can hear Laz tell him (as they are looking at the map) "you came in the wrong direction". So he would have had a DQ even if he had made it in less than 60. Heartbreaking nonetheless!
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newguy wrote:
That is brutal. From now on when I think I am having a bad day, I'll just remember this, and it'll help put it all into perspective. I don't even know any of these participants, but, somehow, I feel absolutely awful for the poor guy- hope he is not thinking, "if I had only not stopped to tie my shoe that one time..." I worry he could get wrapped up in the what-ifs with that result.

In a world of accommodation, and "everyone is a winner"...we need the Barkley.

Old School, Brutal, Unforgiving, and clear cut.....6 seconds over?...better luck next time.

Laz's attitude is refreshing....it was an epic failure.

We need more of this in this world. We need the Barkley.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://runningmagazine.ca/2017-barkley-marathons-recap/

This story has the videos. It's heartbreaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you said that about the Olympics, have a friend that that exact thing happened to. Are you referring to Chuck Aragon in 1500 Olympic trials?
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is a bit of a non story - the 6 seconds - in so far as he did not miss out by 6 seconds but failed to finish by 2 miles

It is a truly epic undertaking and even coming within 2 miles is a massive achievement
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Statement from the RD- Laz:

A message from the RD of The Barkley Marathons #bm100:
i wish i had never said 6 seconds...

gary had just come in after having run off course
and missing the last 2 miles of the barkley.
that is, of course, not a finish.

i do, however, always record when runners come in,
whether they are finishing a loop, or not.
so, i had looked at the watch,
even tho there was no possibility that he would be counted as a finisher.

so, when someone asked if he had gotten in before the limit;
i foolishly answered.

i never expected the story to somehow become that he had missed the time limit by 6 seconds.
he failed to complete the course by 2 miles.
the time, in that situation, is meaningless.

i hate it, because this tale perpetuates the myth that the barkley does not have a course.
the barkley is a footrace.
it is not an orienteering contest,
nor a scavenger hunt.

the books are nothing more than unmanned checkpoints.
the boston marathon has checkpoints.
and you have to show up at all of them or you can be disqualified...

that does not mean you are allowed to follow any route you choose between checkpoints.

now, the class with which gary handled this terrible disappoinment
at the end of a truly magnificent performance...
that was exceptional,
and is, in and of itself, a remarkable achievement.

but he did not miss the time limit by 6 seconds.
he failed to complete the barkley by 2 miles.
laz
Last edited by: instigator: Apr 4, 17 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...the word "course" and that race seem confusing to me based on all the documentaries and videos about it. He says it's not orienteering but that seems exactly what causes people to fail is actually not being able to navigate from point to point on the course.

It's his race/event though so he can say whatever he'd like and there are lots of checkpoints(books) but getting from book to book seems totally arbitrary to me looking in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was right there with you. I always thought that you needed to navigate from book to book (in order) but there wasn't a set course. However, it appears I was wrong. From what I have gathered, it looks like he does map out a path between books and that route is what you are supposed to navigate and follow. Someone posted to an ultra forum the below link. It shows the "course" from the 2006 race.

http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-twp-persp-12.html

I will never know what exactly goes on as I don't ever plan to participate.
Last edited by: instigator: Apr 4, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
and "everyone is a winner"...we need the Barkley.

I think you picked the wrong example. There really don't seem to be designated winners. Just finishers, and course records. It's the ultimate recognition of a finisher.

Watch ESPN if you want rampant glorification of winning at the expense of all else.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 4, 17 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really a combination - there is a specific course that the runners should follow, but part of the challenge is to navigate that course. In orienteering, you are free to choose your own path between the checkpoints.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone clarify how the RD came to the conclusion that he missed two miles of the course. If the course loop map linked in this thread is indeed accurate, in order to come to the gate from the direction he started would he not have had to go around the gate at some point "off course". I understand that he definitely did not do the course as it was intended, but if anything did he not do extra mileage? I don't understand how he could be short two miles, have all the pages, and come in from the other side of the course it just doesn't make logical sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a blog from Gary: http://garyrobbinsrun.com/...ose-but-no-cigarette

This clears up many of the questions that we all have on what happened yesterday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next