Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Barkley Marathons
Quote | Reply
Anybody else following. #BM100 on Twitter.

So far, Gary Robbins and John Kelly (2nd place at IM Maryland 2016) are on loop 3
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm following as closely as I can.

It appeared to me that Mike Wardian did not make the cut off for loop 1. Is that true? If so, it must be his inability to navigate/find the books because the guy is tough as nails an fit as all get out.

Crazy, intriguing event.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, Wardian did not make the cut off. I thought I'd read he did a marathon the week before and ran a 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
he did a marathon the week before and ran a 2:29

Ouch. That's certainly not going to help one week later.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They both finished loop 3.

Two loops to go...
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FUN RUN!
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
FUN RUN!

So fun......!

These guys are freaks.

Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you missed my intent. The organizer likes to call completing 3 loops aka 60 miles of hell, " the fun run". Sort of a play on how hard it is to do the whole 5 loops (and however many miles it ends up being).

i wonder if anyone is wearing a gamin and will clock this years actual mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No GPS allowed, the race provides basic watches
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
compass allowed

sick race. why david goggins or chuck norris for that matter isn't in it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not following this year's event, in fact, never heard of it till my daughter mentioned it to me a few weeks ago (much to wife's chagrin... looks intriguing). I highly recommend the documentary on Netflix about this event (titled "The Barkley Marathons"). Just watched it last week. Very entertaining and provides great insight to what these competitors go through.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badwater vs barkley
whats harder?
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [peet4ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peet4ride wrote:
badwater vs barkley
whats harder?

Based of the finisher rate and amount of finishers, Barkleys is much harder.

There's a great Netflix movie on the Barkely's Marathon - "The Race That Eats Its Young"

http://barkleymovie.com
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [peet4ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peet4ride wrote:
badwater vs barkley
whats harder?

Barkley. Take the physical difficulty of Badwater and add in the misery of not even knowing if you're going the right way and can't see where the hell you are going. I've been hiking in that area before and you can't tell if you're on the right trail, or even a trail at all. And then forest blocks you from being able to see the shape of the terrain, so topo maps become useless. Similar stuff like that in the Ozarks. We knew we were near water because of an eagle's call. But couldn't see it until we were within maybe 100 yards. Are we in a valley? Maybe. Mountain top? I guess so. Is this the right trail? Are we even on a trail? Way different than being able to see where you're going. Mentally very frustrating stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race is so cool. I wish they had live updates but of course that goes against the spirit of Barkley.

This was a great read from a guy that participated last year (Gary Robbins). I'm surprised he was able to recount anything at all about that last lap. Talk about a descent into madness! I'm definitely rooting for him this year.

And, you know, because I was curious - according to Wikipedia, the best female runner only completed 66 miles (so a little ways into the fourth loop). I wonder if a woman will ever finish this race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Perhaps you missed my intent. The organizer likes to call completing 3 loops aka 60 miles of hell, " the fun run". Sort of a play on how hard it is to do the whole 5 loops (and however many miles it ends up being).

i wonder if anyone is wearing a gamin and will clock this years actual mileage.

Sorry. I got your intent. I should have delineated my sarcasm.

I hate to admit that there is part of me that wants to give this race a try. The smart, sane, analytical part understands that it is crazy and that the suffer level is incredibly high but the "screw-is-loose" part of me thinks that pitting yourself against this course would be a cool thing to do.

Any updates on anyone getting to loop 5?

Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest update has the 2 remaining "runners" (death hikers / survivors) is that they should be getting done with loop 4 soon.

I would love to just try one loop to see what it is like. No way do I ascertain any hopes of doing more than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
This race is so cool. I wish they had live updates but of course that goes against the spirit of Barkley.

This was a great read from a guy that participated last year (Gary Robbins). I'm surprised he was able to recount anything at all about that last lap. Talk about a descent into madness! I'm definitely rooting for him this year.

And, you know, because I was curious - according to Wikipedia, the best female runner only completed 66 miles (so a little ways into the fourth loop). I wonder if a woman will ever finish this race...

I've seen the Netflix video, and just took around 30 minutes reading that race report - wow! I can't imagine even doing one of those loops, let alone attempting even two.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has there ever been a Sasquatch sighting by one of the runners?

eye3md wrote:
Anybody else following. #BM100 on Twitter.

So far, Gary Robbins and John Kelly (2nd place at IM Maryland 2016) are on loop 3
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They got 4 loops done... lets see if they both start the 5th. It is gonna be super tight to make the cutoff with that beast of a course this year. They got 13:30 left. Fastest loop 5 ever was a 12:45.
Given that this is NOT a fast course this year (Barkley wanted to make sure there were no more low 50 hrs completions), this is gonna be a nail biter.

John Kelly has started loop 5 CW, Gary Robins 10 min behind CCW.

Gotta catch some sleep and be following in 13 hrs.

natethomas wrote:
kells wrote:

I've seen the Netflix video, and just took around 30 minutes reading that race report - wow! I can't imagine even doing one of those loops, let alone attempting even two.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 2, 17 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
They got 4 loops done... lets see if they both start the 5th. It is gonna be super tight to make the cutoff with that beast of a course this year. They got 13:30 left. Fastest loop 5 ever was a 12:45.
Given that this is NOT a fast course this year (Barkley wanted to make sure there were no more low 50 hrs completions), this is gonna be a nail biter.

John Kelly has started loop 5 CW, Gary Robins 10 min behind CCW.

Gotta catch some sleep and be following in 13 hrs.

natethomas wrote:
kells wrote:

Yeah, this one is gonna be close. Rain is forecast for today as well so it's going to get even harder.

As I went to bed last night, I thought of how long these two guys had been going at it in the forest at Frozen Head. It amazes me anyone can even complete one loop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 hours left.

breaking tweet update a minute ago -

"Discussion in camp is whether to cancel the race at this late time because of rain"
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little over an hour left.... go John!!

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met John just after the finish of IM Maryland and I was really impressed by his run that day. This is incredible, I hope both him and Gary get through loop 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
peet4ride wrote:
badwater vs barkley
whats harder?

Barkley. Take the physical difficulty of Badwater and add in the misery of not even knowing if you're going the right way and can't see where the hell you are going. I've been hiking in that area before and you can't tell if you're on the right trail, or even a trail at all. And then forest blocks you from being able to see the shape of the terrain, so topo maps become useless. Similar stuff like that in the Ozarks. We knew we were near water because of an eagle's call. But couldn't see it until we were within maybe 100 yards. Are we in a valley? Maybe. Mountain top? I guess so. Is this the right trail? Are we even on a trail? Way different than being able to see where you're going. Mentally very frustrating stuff.

Keep in mind, the inspiration for this "race" came form James Earl Ray's escape from Brushy Mountain Prison ... It's not likely he had a lot of intel about the surrounding woods either [in fact, he covered less than 10 miles in a little more than 2 days]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next