Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida!
Quote | Reply
The IM 70.3 Florida race will take place at Lake Eva Park in Haines City, Florida on Sunday, May 20th. Please feel free to ask me anything about the new courses, venue, etc. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When will they update the website so we can see the run, bike and swim course and accommodations ?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the bike and run profile like. What kind of swim is it. Out and back or loop(s)?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [mikeest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeest wrote:
What's the bike and run profile like.

Its florida ;)
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Dec 6, 11 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the move away from Disney?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration and web site should be up at 12 noon on Thursday, Dec. 8th. Course maps, schedule of events, etc. Z
Last edited by: tomziebart: Dec 7, 11 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [mikeest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loop swim course - bike and run profiles will be on the web site. Rode the bike course last summer and it has some nice rural roads, small rolling hills. Should be a fast bike course. Run is flat with one small hill that you hit each loop. (three loops) NO GRASS on the run course - all paved roads and pathways!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [gilabruce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all let me say that we enjoyed a great eight years at Disney with the IM 70.3 Florida event. I took over as RD of the event after the first two years. If anyone did the first race at Disney they will remember the "sand" transition and the "golf course" run! Each year we improved the event with a better bike course. Working with Disney Sports and the Wilderness Campground was challenging but very rewarding as we were able to present a great race with-in the "guidelines" of Disney. In my 25+ years of directing races, the Disney IM 70.3 was both the most difficult and the most rewarding race I've been had the pleasure of producing. Each year, we were challenged to "jump through" another hoop to get the race done and we were able to do so because of the tremendous support from Disney Sports.

The main reason we had to move the race was due to the upcoming construction of a new property at the race site. The Fort Wilderness Campground will be going through a major renovation starting this summer. Our finish line, transition and swim finish will be gone and we really had no other place to put them at the Campground. We looked at other options around Disney property, but were not able to find a good relocation.

When we found out that this would be taking place and we started looking for other sites in Central Florida for the race. Back in the late 1980's early 90's I helped produce a Powerman Duathlon at the Grenlefe Resort near Haines City in Polk Country. I contacted Mark Jackson, Executive Director of Polk County Sports and talked to him about possible sites in Polk County for IM 70.3 Florida.

When we saw the site at Lake Eva in Haines City, we knew if work very well for the event. Lake Eva Park is a city owned faciltiy that includes a wonderful 25 yard pool and splash area, a bandshell with a nice green lawn, tennis courts, pavilions, a community center and a white sand beach. The 56 mile bike course has a little less traffic then our course in Orange County around Disney. The run course is around Lake Eva in a very nice neighborhood.

We are very excited about this new venue and think that it will be great for both athletes and spectators. Familes can stay in hotels or rental houses that are 15-20 min. from the race site and 20-25 min. from Disney and Universal. The new LegoLand in Winter Haven is also under 15 min. away from Haines City.

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vey cool and exciting.
cant wait to sign up and race new venue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Tom! Thanks for the new info! I'll have to work this one into my race plan in the next year or two. I need more states, though! Which other races do you put on besides FL and KS?

Also, I do remember the first year with the golf course run, the beach run, and the trail section. And the second year, when it was blazing hot (of course) and the black astroturf strips to run on the sand in transition were SO hot that I was burning my feet and chose to run on the hot white sand because it was marginally cooler! And I love that my 1/2 IM bike PR was on that course. Lots of good times there, being the Disney girl I am. :) Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT - come on down to the new IM 70.3 Panama race next Feb. I'm helping out and we have a great team going down to help produce the event. Great site and a cool place to visit.

Of course it would also be great to see you back at IM 70.3 Florida next year!

z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering we already made reservations based on the previous website information, I think my family will just enjoy Disney.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will they sweep the lake for alligators before the swim ?

Quote | Reply
I need new states, Z! 11 down, 39 to go! :) You still involved in Steelhead? I know I'll see you at some race or another. Maybe KS again? One of 'em!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I live in Haines city, and will not be ready for a HIM this year. So count me in as a volunteer.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. See you there! Pumped!

Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
First of all let me say that we enjoyed a great eight years at Disney with the IM 70.3 Florida event. I took over as RD of the event after the first two years. If anyone did the first race at Disney they will remember the "sand" transition and the "golf course" run! Each year we improved the event with a better bike course. Working with Disney Sports and the Wilderness Campground was challenging but very rewarding as we were able to present a great race with-in the "guidelines" of Disney. In my 25+ years of directing races, the Disney IM 70.3 was both the most difficult and the most rewarding race I've been had the pleasure of producing. Each year, we were challenged to "jump through" another hoop to get the race done and we were able to do so because of the tremendous support from Disney Sports.

The main reason we had to move the race was due to the upcoming construction of a new property at the race site. The Fort Wilderness Campground will be going through a major renovation starting this summer. Our finish line, transition and swim finish will be gone and we really had no other place to put them at the Campground. We looked at other options around Disney property, but were not able to find a good relocation.

When we found out that this would be taking place and we started looking for other sites in Central Florida for the race. Back in the late 1980's early 90's I helped produce a Powerman Duathlon at the Grenlefe Resort near Haines City in Polk Country. I contacted Mark Jackson, Executive Director of Polk County Sports and talked to him about possible sites in Polk County for IM 70.3 Florida.

When we saw the site at Lake Eva in Haines City, we knew if work very well for the event. Lake Eva Park is a city owned faciltiy that includes a wonderful 25 yard pool and splash area, a bandshell with a nice green lawn, tennis courts, pavilions, a community center and a white sand beach. The 56 mile bike course has a little less traffic then our course in Orange County around Disney. The run course is around Lake Eva in a very nice neighborhood.

We are very excited about this new venue and think that it will be great for both athletes and spectators. Familes can stay in hotels or rental houses that are 15-20 min. from the race site and 20-25 min. from Disney and Universal. The new LegoLand in Winter Haven is also under 15 min. away from Haines City.

Z

Sounds like a smooth transition to a new venue. Kudos to you and your crew. I'll be back down there one of these years.

BTW, there was also a Dannon Duathlon in Haines City in 2003 w/ Greg Watson winning. I only know b/c I raced it and loved it:)

Quote | Reply
Yes, I announced that race back in 2003!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not seen any in Lake Eva.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's because they are underwater! ;-) They have them there. You're not going to find an open body of water in Florida without them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Have not seen any in Lake Eva.
Have you seen any floaring or partially submerged "logs" in the lake ;0) I am just messin with you Tommsounds like it is going to be a awesome place to have the race by a well run race Co. Hopefully I can make it.

Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [yamapro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yamapro wrote:
Considering we already made reservations based on the previous website information, I think my family will just enjoy Disney.....

Agree'd.......the website SHOULD have told people that the date and venue may be changing. People have to arrange holidays WAY in advance(1.5 months ago for next year)....Kinda frustrating no REAL news till now....and the old site had no mention what so ever of ANY change?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about the new site for IM 70.3 Florida! [k89533720] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The date of IM 70.3 Florida has not changed. The race has taken place the weekend after Mother's day in May each year. The venue change could not legally be announced until we had a signed agreement with the county. Polk County Sports has worked very hard on securing this new site and getting support for the race from the Tourist Development Council and the State of Florida. They have committed to support the race for five years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm definitely committing to do it next year and maybe the three after that. What's not to love about a HIM being less than 4 miles from your house.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next