Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
Ok. This was my understanding. Got confused above

I'm sorry if I confused you, but I explained it in more detail in the above post. I hope it helps. Trust me, I know the equation and the process inside and out. I guess I should have said definitively "NO," higher scores aren't "given" at longer races. Scenarios for higher scores are just more likely at longer races.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm never doing an ironman again I'm not giving wtc a single penny
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
konaboysteve wrote:
The AWA could be much more meaningful if they used the point system as one way to qualify for a Kona slot!

Don't you worry. I think that is exactly where this thing is headed...

We all thought that would have happened by now so I am not so sure it is in the cards.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
konaboysteve wrote:
The AWA could be much more meaningful if they used the point system as one way to qualify for a Kona slot!

Don't you worry. I think that is exactly where this thing is headed...

We all thought that would have happened by now so I am not so sure it is in the cards.

Agreed. I thought some kind of ranking system for KQ would have happened by now. I still think it will happen though.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
And yet how many AWA Gold members from the U.S. make all American status? That is my point.

USAT All-American is now top 10% in your AG. A couple years ago it was top 5%. So it is a bit watered down now as well.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club .

wow you made it, good for you :) is that "I do not care", and I'm "hard to get" kinda post, similar to my 13y old daughter :).... If you are so embarrassed why do you even mention..., grow some balls and quit, are they holding you hostage, should we send SWAT team to get you back :0

Or is this the part where we all should congratulate you and admire for hard work? can you send me your autograph
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering you have to spend $250 to get your AWA trophy, yeah its a bit of a cash grab

https://www.ironmanstore.com/all-world-athlete-trophy/official-ironman-all-world-athlete-custom-trophy-1-1.html

Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Considering you have to spend $250 to get your AWA trophy, yeah its a bit of a cash grab

https://www.ironmanstore.com/all-world-athlete-trophy/official-ironman-all-world-athlete-custom-trophy-1-1.html

Most amazingly, it appears anyone can buy that trophy. You just enter in your name, rank (gold/silver/bronze), year, and quantity. You could even buy multiple. And you can order your 2017 version already. What a total farce.

So I'll state it again: WTC could not give less of a shit about this 'achievement', because to them it's just another profit center. Enjoy your trophy, idiot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A business is trying to make money. Waaaahhh."- Publis

I think half of your posts could be placed in that other thread.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
I'm never doing an ironman again I'm not giving wtc a single penny

Self actualization should transcend class.

Just not in triathlon...
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that at some point it will go this way but I think it is a mistake unless they change it to reward those who don't race 3 races but do well in the ones they race. With the current system someone could do decent in 3 IMs and qualify for Kona under this points system. Obviously there is no perfect situation but if they do this I can pretty much kiss Kona goodbye since I cannot afford to travel to 3 different IMs, nor would I want to race 3 in the same year to qualify for Kona. But I would be interested to see what they would come up with to "reward" those who race more without hurting those who place higher.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but it doesn't is the fucking problem lol trust me i'm on seizing the means like none other bro one day the proletariat of the world will have all kinds of self actualization triathlon running yoga reading leisure fulfillment without getting their booty snatched by the bourgeoisie for some surplus value... got daym how much labor power do they want ?????????? can a brotha get a use value in this bish??? i'm gonna try tt or something fuck this bourgeois azz sport i'm not a money tree got daym i'm a human. the culture surrounding this sport is lame as shit consumer-bot 9000 cultural hegemony v2.1 more carbon and aero $100000000000000 buy it or you're a lesser human edition
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Jan 17, 17 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
What this would do is force the fast guys to race 3x per year though, but at least planning a KQ run would be a little more straightforward than the luck involved currently

$$ kerching.

If they do introduce a Kona ranking for AGers, how many years before most give-up on it, and the pier is full of fit orthodontists and executives. Plus I can see finishing times go up, as everyone is wasted before they get there.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rankings pull points from the 4 distances, sprint to full. A fairer system would add the points from each racer's best performance from each distance instead of simply pulling the highest 3 scores. Kona slots should be awarded on January 1 based on total participation numbers throughout the year.

Pros
--Fairer representation of the stacked AGs. Your points are still a function of who shows up as points are awarded as a function of the AG winner's finish time. However, this feels more reasonable.
--Less wear and tear. This won't require aspiring AGers to race 3 IM a year to yield max points. However, nothing is stopping you from trying to improve your best score by doing so.
--This should bump participation in the branded sprint/olympic races as people on the bubble vie for slots.
--More authentic roll down. Give a two week window for qualified athletes to register. Open slots roll on two week increments until all are filled.

Cons
--You would still need to race quite a bit - minimum 4 times to be competitive.
--Potentially long commitment time - for example, you would need to race well from January through December 2017 for a shot at Kona 2018. Then again, Kona is a multiyear process for most people so perhaps this is a non-issue. This could be offset by offering guaranteed slots to the AG winner (or podium) of national championships.
--More authentic roll down. Less of a carrot for those well outside the bubble.
--Potentially less money for Wanda as those gunning for Kona won't be dropping money on 3+ IMs a year. However, I imagine the bulk of their entry fee profit comes from those who don't aspire to Kona. Either way it could be offset by raising the Kona race fee. Or selling more AWA branded crap.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Last edited by: santino314: Jan 17, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
timbasile wrote:

What this would do is force the fast guys to race 3x per year though, but at least planning a KQ run would be a little more straightforward than the luck involved currently

$$ kerching.

If they do introduce a Kona ranking for AGers, how many years before most give-up on it, and the pier is full of fit orthodontists and executives. Plus I can see finishing times go up, as everyone is wasted before they get there.

As if anyone will care.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:

--More authentic roll down. Give a two window for qualified athletes to register. Open slots roll on two week increments until all are filled.

Did you mean to write 2 week window?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
santino314 wrote:

--More authentic roll down. Give a two window for qualified athletes to register. Open slots roll on two week increments until all are filled.

Did you mean to write 2 week window?

Yep. I'll edit, thanks.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would consider this system the most "fair":

-win your AG at IM race, you get to Kona (no roll down)
-don't win your AG you go into the ranking system and best 2 or 3 races count.

That ends roll down, or atleast only AG winners would show up. Don't want to go to Kona, that AG spot is forfeited and put into the ranking pot.

WTC "rewards" it's customers who do multiple events and thus uses Kona as the carrot to keep signing up for more IM events. But it also gives winners auto spots.

This would allow the best of your AG Kona Q and then the best of the "rest".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
The All World Athlete induction notices are hitting emails, which means I get to go through my annual social media cleansing of those people who issue self-congratulatory posts about their "achievement".

Do those of you who are bragging about this not know that this is one of the biggest jokes in triathlon? Or do you know it and just flaunt it anyways to impress those who don't know better?

If you don't know, let me clue you in: this is a frequent fliers club. The AWA badge is as unexceptional and unimpressive as your Costco card.

Beyond that, it's such a classic money grab from the company that couldn't give less of a shit about your hopes and dreams. This is just another way WTC is giving us crass commerce and telling us it's achievement. Textbook.

I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club -- it reveals how much money I've let WTC leech out of me in the past year. I sure won't be putting the bumper sticker on my car. In fact, there's a guy I know who slashes tires on cars like that. Just giving you guys a heads up.

I'm not sure about it being a total joke. Look at the top competitors in every age group. Then tell me whether or not those athletes are not indeed some of the best long course athletes. To me it seems like they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do those of you who are bragging about this not know that this is one of the biggest jokes in triathlon? Or do you know it and just flaunt it anyways to impress those who don't know better?

I get the impression that most of my social media friends who post about AWA aren’t posting to brag. They’re just really proud of all the hard work they put in. Some of them aren’t gifted athletes so getting AWA means a lot to them. What I find much worse are the triathletes that feel the need to constantly put down other triathletes.
Quote:
I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club...

I think if you were truly embarrassed to be a part of the club you would have left that part out of your post. I suspect your only real problem with AWA is that it's not exclusive enough for you. The self-congratulatory posts bother you because they're coming from people you feel shouldn't be part of the club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would annoy the shit out of me

I am just about OK with this bullshit award , there are more than 10 in my team who posted this crap but were incredibly excited - who am I to argue with their enthusiasm and if it motivates them , it is all good

I got bronze apparently after winning one IM ,one half and having a very good race at Kona

So no idea how this works and have zero interest in finding out

Using this is a means of KQ is just so wrong but sure it will happen
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
The rankings pull points from the 4 distances, sprint to full. A fairer system would add the points from each racer's best performance from each distance instead of simply pulling the highest 3 scores. Kona slots should be awarded on January 1 based on total participation numbers throughout the year.

Not quite correct. You should have stated that one of three rankings pull points from 4 distances. AWA rankings are tallied for Ironman only; 70.3 only; and overall. It is only in the overall category that WTC awards points for their branded Olympic and sprint races. If they choose to use rankings as a path to Kona, then obviously, they should use the Ironman only rankings where nothing below 140.6 counts.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I would consider this system the most "fair":

-win your AG at IM race, you get to Kona (no roll down)
-don't win your AG you go into the ranking system and best 2 or 3 races count.

That ends roll down, or atleast only AG winners would show up. Don't want to go to Kona, that AG spot is forfeited and put into the ranking pot.

WTC "rewards" it's customers who do multiple events and thus uses Kona as the carrot to keep signing up for more IM events. But it also gives winners auto spots.

This would allow the best of your AG Kona Q and then the best of the "rest".

^ Like.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
What I find much worse are the triathletes that feel the need to constantly put down other triathletes.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree because I find that most triathletes are desperately in need of a put down. Most of you lemmings are such intolerable narcissists that what you need is less fodder for obnoxious self aggrandizement, not more.

If you aren't irritated by these people -- and especially if you aren't irritated by their posts on social media -- it's likely because you are one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Most of you lemmings are such intolerable narcissists that what you need is less fodder for obnoxious self aggrandizement, not more.

If you aren't irritated by these people -- and especially if you aren't irritated by their posts on social media -- it's likely because you are one of them.

That's funny coming from someone who posted publicly about making AWA.
Quote Reply

Prev Next