Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they offer a credit card so we can get 1 point for every $1 spent?
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
Karl wrote:
Do I think I am near 20th in the world, NO. Am I closer to the 80th that I am ranked in USAT, YES!

You realize there are triathletes outside the US of A? ;)

Hence, the reason I admitted the strange discrepancy between my being 22 in the world, but 80th in the U.S.
I am unaware of a world ranking for amateurs other than AWA. Does ITU have one?

I think I misread your post as you considering yourself 80th in the world as suggested by USAT .. mea culpa
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Hey we agree!!!!!......I like Huffandpuff idea of "cash back program"........i do like the, at times, better racking spots....i also feel slightly ashamed of being gold as well but if i could get cash back on races instead of "early entry" to all these races in Asia, now we would be talking. I will be racing less in 2017 due to costs of races and travel, so much for a dentist thing i have going for me.

WAIT....now I see the insidious nature of the "early entry." I live in Asia, but my impressions are that all the early entry races I'm offered are in the US and Europe. AWA is in cahoots with the airlines!

A far more desirable benefit would be "guaranteed sign-up." Sometimes you hit a strong vein of form and it would be nice to slide in an extra race for fun...even if a little past the regular sign-up deadline.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also came in handy at Racine this year with the rolling start on the bike.

I'd much rather start with people in a frequent flyer program, if only because it means that everyone starting around you did at least 2 races last year.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Correlation, not causality.

AA rewards quality. AWA rewards quantity (with a slight bonus for quality, just to confuse things).

AWA is a frequent flyer program.

I don't think you can definitively show that across the board for the AWA Gold rankings. I doubt you've even looked into correlation vs. causality for AWA Gold vs USAT AA rankings.

What aspect of the USAT AA rankings rewards quality more than WTC AWA Gold? Where does AWA Gold reward quantity more than USAT AA? Do you have specifics? Both programs use a participant's top THREE race results (though USAT requires 3 tri race results and AWA will rank you with less than 3 races). USAT AA uses the top 10% of AG rankings (I think this used to be 5% with the next 5% receiving AA Honorable Mention) while AWA Gold uses the top 1% AG ranking. Both score participant race results vs. race winner results.

The differences between the programs is that WTC has made the choice to recognize additional levels of participation and performance by including silver (top 5% of AG) and bronze (top 10% of AG). They also break out AWA between all WTC, WTC IM and WTC 70.3 races. So what? As I mentioned above, USAT used to have two levels of All American rankings and then made it easier to achieve AA rank. If this encourages participants to complete more races or work to improve their standings so what? Slowman is always pointing out that our sport is in decline. Any efforts to boost participation are probably a good thing.

I will say that I never paid much attention to USAT rankings. I feel the same way about AWA. However, I will say that WTC goes out of their way to provide these rankings to participants and celebrate their achievements, while USAT publishes this information once a year in a magazine that most of us aren't even interested in receiving. Basically another case of USAT just going through the minimum necessary motions for members.

In the end I don't see a lot of difference between the two ranking programs at the AA and Gold level. The generalizations made about one being more performance oriented than the other haven't been backed up with results data or criteria comparisons. The extended rankings of the AWA levels does reward participation, but I don't see the downside to encouraging more participation in this sport.

Im sorry, but USAT AA is much harder to earn than AWA, even AWA gold. I know a M35-39 person that earned AWA Gold by doing 3 70.3s between 5:05 and 5:25. Decent, sure. But this person's USAT score is about 82. No where near the 89 needed to get USAT AA. There is a world of difference between an 82 and an 89.

I understand that many AWA Gold are also AA, but you can "game" your way into AWA Gold by doing 3 70.3s or 3 140.6 because most people don't do 3 of each. Most people do 2 half and a full or 2 fills and a half, etc. I'm sorry, it's just reality that USAT AA is a higher bar.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you can actually "game" either system. With the USAT system, you can add a 4th USAT race of any distance to jack up your rating. I say that as someone who only did three triathlons last year.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
Well, you can actually "game" either system. With the USAT system, you can add a 4th USAT race of any distance to jack up your rating. I say that as someone who only did three triathlons last year.

Not really. What makes USAT tougher is that it it averages your top 3 scores and you are only ranked if you have 3. AWA just adds points together from your top three regardless of how many races you do. You have several people that only do 1 or 2 WTC races that are "ranked" lower than people much slower than them because of this. You can't really "game" your way into getting a USAT score of 90+. Three times.

You can look at USAT rankings and get a good idea of who you can beat and who you can't. That is not true AT ALL for the AWA ranking system.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is interesting seeing the self congratulatory remarks for the Bronze status which is basically a finisher's medal for the season.. I do coach a few athletes who have achieved the gold standards and they were consistent podium finishers and winners all season long at both distances and world championships.

futrmultisports.com
Last edited by: Scot: Jan 15, 17 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got silver. Woohoo!!!!

Seriously though, I know it means little but I am proud of it anyways.
I usually do 1 full and 2 halfs plus bunch of stuff anyways.
Compared to all you guys who are superduper fast, it's meaningless.
But comparing it to myself where I've gone from some DNF's a few years ago, to bronze, to silver, it's a progression in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely it's an improvement and if it gives motivation to work to another goal it's positive. That said its a starting step to build on.

Futrmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
Printer wrote:

Not really. What makes USAT tougher is that it it averages your top 3 scores and you are only ranked if you have 3. AWA just adds points together from your top three regardless of how many races you do. You have several people that only do 1 or 2 WTC races that are "ranked" lower than people much slower than them because of this. You can't really "game" your way into getting a USAT score of 90+. Three times.

You can look at USAT rankings and get a good idea of who you can beat and who you can't. That is not true AT ALL for the AWA ranking system.
I'm going to slightly disagree with you, I do well in the low-mid 90's average but don't race many Halfs and never done a full. People I beat at the few halfs I do can end up ahead of me with a couple decent halfs or fulls vs. the Olys/Sprints I race for the most part. Just something I've noted over the years, but I'm not crying about it, longer races give better points on similar performance IME... AA and in the 90s is a very successful year.

I'm not in the AWA game but I've noted some friends that are very good at the Half/Long distance getting silver and gold... I've also seen a few not so fast people getting similar honors. Doesn't seem uniform to performance.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club -- it reveals how much money I've let WTC leech out of me in the past year.

They didn't leech it out of you, you paid willingly. You should be more embarrassed to be ranting-on about being a WTC-sheep, when that's exactly what you've been. You also drone on exactly like the sort of annoying FB twit that you mention.

I guess you do irony very well.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is too funny. Just today I logged on to FB and saw a friend who posted something about this. After lamenting how the start of the year was rough, he received his bronze status and it re-affirmed to him that he has a "gift" for racing and to keep his chin up and power through!

Don't get me wrong, he had some pretty decent results, but this is like bragging about making the AG worlds team where all you have to do is sign up and send in a check to the right place.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Kristy J was taking care of that for you.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do USAT rankings give more points for longer distances?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
Do USAT rankings give more points for longer distances?

No, not necessarily. Is there a greater chance of getting a huge score? Probably, but they simply don't "give" more points. The system is not set up to simply give more points to a certain race. In a longer race, there is more of a chance that many people will execute poorly which will result in people that execute very well getting a very high score.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the equation is slightly more complicated than that. It is more about how many people racing were ranked the previous year, and how race times compare to a calculated "average time". You end up getting more points at a big long course race because there are more previously ranked racers, many of who drag down the "average time".
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. This was my understanding. Got confused above

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I got silver, just missed gold.
I know you wanted me to share that with you.
Have a nice day!

Haha congrats

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The AWA could be much more meaningful if they used the point system as one way to qualify for a Kona slot!
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaboysteve wrote:
The AWA could be much more meaningful if they used the point system as one way to qualify for a Kona slot!

Don't you worry. I think that is exactly where this thing is headed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
konaboysteve wrote:

Paging Dev.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
konaboysteve wrote:

This isnt so bad for either kona slots or for the awa that gut reaction would say otherwise.

For starters that would then turn the status into something meaningful. You'd more or less need gold (Platinum?) to make it since there's only so much room on the pier. What would happen is that the existing KQ crowd would change their game to get top status anyway. Bronze would likely be harder to get since everyone is on the hamster wheel.

And as a plus, you'd finally get true proportional reputation that everyone wants for Kona slots.

Apart from the older crowd where finishing = KQ anyway, you'd still need to be fast.

(What this would do is force the fast guys to race 3x per year though, but at least planning a KQ run would be a little more straightforward than the luck involved currently.)
Last edited by: timbasile: Jan 16, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I only have a BJs and it really blows

I see what you did there :)
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
the equation is slightly more complicated than that. It is more about how many people racing were ranked the previous year, and how race times compare to a calculated "average time". You end up getting more points at a big long course race because there are more previously ranked racers, many of who drag down the "average time".

Actually that isn't totally accurate. An "average time" isn't calculated, a "par time" is calculated.
It's calculated by multiplying all of the pacesetters (people ranked in the previous year) race times(in real numbers) by their previous year score and then dividing by 100. This is done for each pacesetter. The top and bottom20% are dropped and the middle 60% are averaged to create a Par Time. Dropping the top and bottom 20% of calculated times confounds for many of the people that underperformed and over performed. Hitting the par time exactly will yield you a score of 100.

Having more people in a race simply gives you more pacesetters from which to calculate an accurate par time.
The very high scores in long course races are from massive underperformance from a large number Participants. When things go south in an Ironman, it tends to be drastic. If it happens to enough people, the par time will go down. So normal performance and over performance will yield higher scores
Quote Reply

Prev Next