Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for mentioning it. I got silver and blasted my Facebook page with it. Also congratulated my friends that also got it and blasted their page. Looking forward to the perks and putting the sticker on my truck. Happy to be a part of this club and Triathlon.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Agreed. AWA is bullshit. Do people actually care about this stuff?

Well apparently many do. I don't....but it doesn't bother me if someone does.

Some of them may judge you and question what you care about.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calling it a B.S. points system or a WTC money grab is probably true. But, the program does make me think twice about how many WTC races I might do in a year. In fact, I now shoot for doing three events each year whether I'm in race shape or not.

I also like my Delta miles and Amex points programs. You can start a whiny thread about them too.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
The OP is a douchebag.

Just out of curiosity...where do you park your car at night?
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not annoyed by the social media posts, but I can't help but notice how few of them come back to tell me about their USAT All American status. The latter may have flaws but is a much better indicator of performance. The OP may be a douche but not nearly as much as the AWA program.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checking my AG, the USAT All American ranking status goes much deeper than the WTC AWA Gold rankings. AWA includes worldwide participation vs. just USA rankings.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my thoughts on making bronze status for the first time...

Quote:

Achieving AWA basically means two things. First it means you raced Ironman branded events at the 70.3 and 140.6 distance. Which means they got your money. See how that works? You race with them, they reward you. The rewards are given in the following year to be used when you race more Ironman branded events, which means…they get more of your money. Pure genius. Almost as good as Ebay’s “you won!”. You didn’t win, you bought. Congratulations.

I don’t write this in a totally jaded fashion, but simply to point out that part of their recognition program really has a marketing spin to it. Nothing new in the business world.

The second thing it means is that you did a halfway decent job racing. For this, I’m proud to be an AWA athlete. It’s possible to race three races and still not accumulate enough points for status. It’s also possible to do really, really, really well in one race and score enough points. In my case I did two races (I placed in the top third in one and top quarter in the other). Keep in mind that when I started this sport six years ago I was easily in the bottom 10% for my first sprint and Olympic distance races. It’s encouraging to look back over the past few years and see that not only have I managed to go longer distances but I’ve gotten faster along the way.

http://slowpope.com

Last edited by: wcb: Jan 13, 17 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet how many AWA Gold members from the U.S. make all American status? That is my point.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jan 13, 17 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't understand why the AWA program itself is douchey.

I can certainly see how people bragging about it on Social Media would be annoying, but if that's bar douchness, what isn't douchey?

They give you points for doing races, then you get very small perks for getting those points, like an expedited race check in. If you have frequent customers, why wouldn't you reward them?

I don't even think it generates much new cash for IM. My guess is that anyone running out to buy AWA branded merchandise would still be buying something branded by IM even in the absence of AWA stuff.

Everyone hates some stuff (I hate man buns and people who let their 10 year olds wear fedora hats), but I'm fine with the AWA program. If my one 70.3 combined with a 13.5 hour 140.6 [sweet back door brag] allow me to cut the check in line at my next race at no extra cost - then colour me bronze.
Last edited by: captain-tri: Jan 13, 17 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with rewards or loyalty programs. Most companies are straight forward about. But WTC blends it with a mix of performance and then markets it as if it is 100% performance ... hence the name and the social media blasts. I would prefer the AWA cashback program myself.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Some of my thoughts on making bronze status for the first time...

Quote:

Achieving AWA basically means two things. First it means you raced Ironman branded events at the 70.3 and 140.6 distance. Which means they got your money. See how that works? You race with them, they reward you. The rewards are given in the following year to be used when you race more Ironman branded events, which means…they get more of your money. Pure genius. Almost as good as Ebay’s “you won!”. You didn’t win, you bought. Congratulations.

I don’t write this in a totally jaded fashion, but simply to point out that part of their recognition program really has a marketing spin to it. Nothing new in the business world.

The second thing it means is that you did a halfway decent job racing. For this, I’m proud to be an AWA athlete. It’s possible to race three races and still not accumulate enough points for status. It’s also possible to do really, really, really well in one race and score enough points. In my case I did two races (I placed in the top third in one and top quarter in the other). Keep in mind that when I started this sport six years ago I was easily in the bottom 10% for my first sprint and Olympic distance races. It’s encouraging to look back over the past few years and see that not only have I managed to go longer distances but I’ve gotten faster along the way.

http://slowpope.com

I think I'm confused - are his results representative of a top 10% finish? He says straight out he was top quarter in one race, and top third in another - how do you make a top 10% out of that?
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Therein lies the rub. It's accumulated points over your best three races. So if one guy wins a 70.3 and grabs 3500 points and another races two fulls, finishes in the top half in each, nabs 2000 points in each, he's now up in total points.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also have to factor in that the AWA program is actually 3 separate AWA programs. There's the 70.3 AWA program, the full Ironman AWA program, and the combined program. So, that's potentially three distinct groups earning gold, silver and bronze. That's a lot of medals.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
And yet how many AWA Gold members from the U.S. make all American status? That is my point.

All of them? I'm not sure what your point is w/r to the comparison. There were something like 220 AWA Gold listings worldwide and 250 USAT All Americans for the same AG.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not really a frequent flyer thing...I got my AWA with only 2 Ironman events...a sub 10 hour and a KQ effort....oh the front door bragging! :) heheheh

Seriously, yes, I get it. BUT...rewarding your best customers with no check in lines is nice. At IM South Africa, AWA Gold and Silver were invited to a brunch with a speech by Paula Newby-Fraser. It was alright and learned a few things too. Speaking of IMSA, AWA also hooked me up with a really great spot in transition which was an advantage over where the plebs (tongue in cheek!) racked their bikes for M40.

In other words, I think it's a good idea and with some more customer-focused benefits could actually become valuable and thus an incentive to race more...which is what the WTC wants. As for bragging rights....save that for after the Kona slots allocation! :)
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andnow you gotta add something called "All country,". Some new ranking category
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot about the rack spot - that was definitely a perk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posts like yours are pathetic. If you resent giving Ironman your money find other lame races to do and shut up about it. I do totally agree that it's super loserish to post pics of your AWA badge. However, it is not just about doing the races. The points are based on your time difference from the winner of your age group. Most people end up with zero points. I happen to love getting to check in without waiting in line, and I like getting to register early for races that sell out fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American Wanker Association??
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [FLP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLP wrote:
The points are based on your time difference from the winner of your age group. Most people end up with zero points.
Correct. And incorrect: the floor for any finisher is 1000 / 700 / 350 / 250 points, depending on the event. Zero points for DNS/DNF/DSQ, but DFL always gets points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never cared about AWA until I hit gold...now suck it Silver and Bronze!

Oh, All American too. I wish that was a badge I could place on my FB page!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I don't know anything about this program, but googling their website - do you have to be top 10% of your AG to be in it? Or can you get it by some other non-performance method?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/all-world-athlete.aspx#axzz4VgKk1DtS

Yes you do actually have to be top 10% and if you do 3 or more races it greatly increases your chances. From what I've seen you have to finish all 3 of those races under 13 hours for Ironman or under 5:30 for 70.3 to qualify in my age group for silver, which I got. Not sure what the disdain from the OP is for, for a lot of people this is a goal, and an accomplishment. Perhaps because if you only do 1 Ironman you may not even get bronze if you finish in 10 hours. So the OP may have done a 10 hour race and gets annoyed that all these 13 hour racers are bragging on social media. So what, it still proves consistency in performance even if you don't consider 3 Ironmans under 13 hours an accomplishment. The OP is a douchebag.

Bingo! The program empowers those who are marginally successful and need a boost to keep going at it.
This is done by providing them with some irrational and constructed accomplishment.

Nothing wrong with that. Everybody is a winner.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 14, 17 1:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club -- it reveals how much money I've let WTC leech out of me in the past year. I sure won't be putting the bumper sticker on my car.

So you complain about (1) decreasing participation in the sport, (2) recognition for patrons and (3) free advertisement on vehicles and social media.

Get over it. If you don't enjoy the sport, get out of it, or stop racing. Otherwise, let your times/results speak for themselves.

Good lord. And they say millennials are self-righteous.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am guessing very few of them. Post 37 explains why.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send a note to USAT...but dont expect perks...they dont think that way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next