Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>No it doesn't.

Unfortunately we don't have any way to know for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
rbuike wrote:
http://www.triathlonsa.co.za/...iewNews.aspx?id=1046

Fairly consistent results over the last few years makes me wonder.....

http://www.the-sports.org/...thlon-spf124156.html

I was just thinking of this thread, and if nothing else kudos to the guys in South Africa for actually testing. Over the last 30 years racing in Canada, I have not been tested a single time and have not heard of any of my buddies being tested. During this time, we have collectively won Kona slots, national championships, Armed Forces Championships, 70.3 WC lots....never a single whiff of getting tested.

I get it, we are age groupers and the drug testing police here in Canada have bigger fish to fry...but as a very minimum, the folks in South Africa busted one of their own. How often does that happen in the age grouper ranks in Canada?

Just testing once in a while (even once a year at nationals or a major IM) might keep a few people on the honest side. Right now, it's basically the wild west around here. If you are South African, German, or American, your safe bet is racing in Canada in the land of Ben Johnson for KQ slots LOL :-)

I was curious about this because it says the was caught at a 70.3 in east London, which would mean that British Triathlon (or what ever they are called) is working with WTC to test AG at non-champioship races.

I would be curious to know the details, if its true….I think it indicates a shift in testing frequency/and or event frequency for the positive.

I think this was IC testing not targeted,

Maurice

Hi Maurice....East London South Africa where they hold the 70.3 SA in January. Seems like it was an in competition test. While OOC testing is great, even 1 random in competition test for age groupers or the threat of it is better than nothing.

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/south-africa.aspx#axzz3K1uxNwoI

As for the banned athlete racing in F45-49 with body fat lower than most pro women (heck, some pro men look soft compared to her), I'm going with the Clenbuterol not being an accidental Spanish or Chinese steak ingestion related mistake (yeah, I want to be as lean as her, but I think I will need to go on the Macca approved cabbage and water diet for a month and then top it off with the final 2 weeks on the Eganski approved tape worm diet to get there).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>Maybe USAT makes that extra $5 optional, just to gauge interest.

USAC does that.
Any amount, tax-deductible. Tip line on the same page.

They don't advertise it all that well, though.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, time to brush up on my geography :-)

Still curious as to if this was IC or targeted, IE is WTC being pro active and testing/working with federations at non-championship events?

Would be good to see, there was talk this year of every pro being tested at kona upon check in, in addition to quite a few Ager's (more than last year) ....perhaps they are ramping up testing across the board.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>There is already a two tier system. People buy an advantage in the form of equipment. Making the field unlevel has become a central part of triathlon culture.

I think this is #12 in the doping rationalization list in every doping thread.

The response is having disparity in ways officially recognized as valid (genetics, # of training hours, cost of equipment) is entirely distinct from disparity in ways officially barred.
This is not a line that should be blurred. Doping isn't in the same zip code ethically or by interpretation of the rules than dropping $20K on a P5-Di2 with Enves, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 24, 14 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
This is a defeatist outlook. There are always answers for those willing to look for them. You can reduce the equipment advantage with draft legal racing, for example. Not all measures will be cost effective day 1, but if you have a plan on how to make it cost effective then you're half way there.

Cockeyed optimism in the face of economic and statistic realities does not accomplish much, but when you come up with the magic plan then let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> So you're talking a few thousand riders/staff, and we see how well that is working.

I'd argue it's working very well.

But it depends on your expectations.

One way it's working well is we haven't had any riders die on Ventoux in quite a while. At a very minimum what we have is "regulated doping" - we've pushed it down into marginal levels. And that's a necessity. I think even if we decided to legalize doping in the ProTour it'd have to be regulated doping. Because otherwise it'd be a game to see who could push things the farthest, and that would get ugly pretty quick. And the controls for regulation would be effectively the same as the anti-doping controls we have now. The only thing different would be the levels and the punishment (the punishment for exceeding a limit might just be getting kicked out of the current race).

If your expectation is unicorns-and-rainbows-pure-as-driven-snow cleanliness, then clearly it's not working.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my completely biased and made in a fraction of a second opinion after viewing her facebook:

-She is narcissistic enough and apparently well off enough to have the time/money to dedicate to doping/triathlon.
-During her ban she will use that time/money and probably dedicate herself to figure competitions because she already has access to the PED's. Also she has borderline woman weightlifter face already.

Back on topic:

Glad it is going to 4 years, but I would rather see 5-8 years for the first offense, lifetime after.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

>There is already a two tier system. People buy an advantage in the form of equipment. Making the field unlevel has become a central part of triathlon culture.

I think this is #12 in the doping rationalization list in every doping thread.

It gets brought up because people complain about doping making the competition unfair but by design the competition is not fair in the first place. Someone beats me by slapping on testosterone after training or someone beats me by spending an extra $5K on a bike, why should I care? In either case it was not a fair competition. It does not change my level of effort, my experience, or my enjoyment. It means zilch to the rest of my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
She has quite a history of results. So much so that I would believe that either anti-doping controls are poor or that she inadvertently took something recently. Sadly I think both is the correct answer :/

The drug combination makes me think that she has an eating disorder.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>It gets brought up because people complain about doping making the competition unfair but by design the competition is not fair in the first place. Someone beats me by slapping on testosterone after training or someone beats me by spending an extra $5K >on a bike, why should I care? In either case it was not a fair competition. It does not change my level of effort, my experience, or my enjoyment. It means zilch to the rest of my life.

My definition of fair is following the rules of the sport as written. That makes it pretty simple. I think this line of reasoning tries to obfuscate the issue by injecting irrelevant complexity into something that's really simple.

I can read the rules and decide if I want to compete despite the fact that I could be competing against guys with 2% better CdA. Because it's all out in the open.

The problem with dopers is they hide the information necessary for me to make that decision. There's a lie involved.

One solution is for USAT or whoever to just strike all doping language from their rulebook. Then I can make the decision to dope myself, walk away, or compete as best I can. But while the rules explicitly define doping as against the rules, I expect my fellow competitors to adhere to those rules should be line up next to me. And, yes, I will be pissed off at them if they lie.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 24, 14 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
Beachboy wrote:
How she got to Kona I have no idea....with those results.

She's qualified for Kona every year since 2010, and she won her AG at IMSA in 2011, 2012, and 2013. She's hardly a MOP AG athlete.

Sounds either like a consistently doped out KQ age grouper, or she inadvertently took something on the banned list. It will be interesting to see what she claims.

ding ding ding......thats why its pointless. More then likely she's using those drugs for asthma with out a tuse, but I could be wrong. How any people racing with asthma have filed the paper work? my guess none.

Bong, wrong answer. For my last IM, I did the asthma paperwork and correctly noted it on the entry form etc. I'm a MOP guy and take asthma medication every day. I didn't want to get pinged by a marshall just for sucking on my inhaler every few hours. I'm no threat for a win, KQ or anything else, except winning the pity of my friends and family :-(.. Still, I'm a bit of a rule follower so getting the paperwork done for asthma was one of the boxes I ticked. Oh yes, I also brake after getting passed on the bike, to ensure I ride legally. I might lose, but I lose fair.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming at it from the expense point of view that is a big deal for cyclists, which i know you are one. A typical season i do around 25-30 crits, 10-12 RR, and 6-8 MTB races. One of the local RD's was very open with the price associated with doing the race clean initiative and the cheapest he could get it was for roughly an 35-40% price increase at races. Now sure over one or two races not a big deal, but if you do 40-50 races a year that is a huge price increase for a hobby when you have limited money. That would be roughly 400 dollars more on the low end for me and i just don't care enough and most people agree. That price increase by the way would just be enough to test the podium and two random individuals in each CAT. If you wanted to do the podium, 5 random individuals in each CAT, and test the top 10 overall riders in each CAT (state leaderboards) that would be even more expensive.

Interestingly the people pushing this the most (in my area) are people financially very well off and don't mind the financial consequences. Most of us who are not rolling in it just have no interest in paying for doping control. In particular those of use who know how easy it is to cycle drugs and get around doping control tests. Heck, half the guys i race with are RN's, MD's, PA's etc who all know how these systems work.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just when I was giving up on humanity, bam..... Thanks for the ray of sunshine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extrapolating from and combining the facts 1) the heavy use of phentermine (adipex) amongst the general population (very commonly used weight loss aid) and 2) the reality that most of us triathletes are driven and somewhat compulsive……I'm surprised more women don't get nailed for this drug in this sport.
The clen ? Not so sure.

Yes. I'm making huge assumptions. But I'm betting that this charge will become more and more common amongst age groupers.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
Just when I was giving up on humanity, bam..... Thanks for the ray of sunshine.

First time in 53 years I've ever been called a ray of sunshine! My wife will love to hear that. :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phentermine is pretty easy to find without a prescription and could be accidentally ingested but clenbuterol is a bit harder.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that she would get caught using these as weight loss aids (and not race day stimulants) suggests absolute stupidity on her part. The half life of Clen is 36 hours and Phentermine is 25 hours-lose all he weight you want, stop using a week or so before race day and you can't go wrong. This is truly "amateur" doping.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that only Pro's had Wikipedia pages listing their results.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari%C3%ABtte_Hattingh

Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Wikipedia page needs an entry for her doping positive...I don't know Dutch/Afrikaan, so I don't know which word to click on to "Edit|" that page with the doping positive....any takers?
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
The fact that she would get caught using these as weight loss aids (and not race day stimulants) suggests absolute stupidity on her part. The half life of Clen is 36 hours and Phentermine is 25 hours-lose all he weight you want, stop using a week or so before race day and you can't go wrong. This is truly "amateur" doping.

This is the issue, Pro athletes who dope and have a good doctor…this is just speculation, are scared of getting caught but aren't really scared of testing. AG athletes who dope are generally less refined or have less access to guys like Fuentes or Ferrari.

The issue is that AG dopers aren't scared of getting caught or the testing process, primarily because there is little to no testing. If you look at AG triathlon, likely the only championship which does IC testing is Kona, I could be wrong but I would be surprised if there was AG testing in Edmonton, or at LC worlds…..maybe some at Tremblant.

My thoughts have always been that if there is a problem (most agree there is) is that you need to approach AG testing in a different fashion. IE In Kona they were testing blood and urine for AG's, if you could get 2X the tests for Urine alone (for the same cost) then I think you would be casting a wider net, perhaps you miss one or two "sophisticated" dopers but catch 4-5 others….by splitting the dollars and allowing for more testing (for the same dollars)

My other thoughts were that "human capital" at the point of collection was the most expensive piece of the puzzle, if you could simply "collect and store" a lot of AG samples and save them for a later date, with urine only it is much easier, faster and more cost effective. IE if you have a problem catch the low hanging fruit first (like you said above)

In other words for AG increase frequency of collection (sampling) but maybe only test in certain random or targeted cases (i.e. test a whole AG at one race, test all KQ, test 1st and then 2 random top ten, test all of XYZ athlete's samples etc)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought that would be a good idea. On top of it, surprise, random tests at qualifying IM and 70.3 races. In Nor Cal a couple years ago they announced surprise tests for the podium during start line instructions. Curiously, guys that you thought were a lock for podium finished way down. I don't even remember if they carried out tests but it appeared to be a good deterrent.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
That Wikipedia page needs an entry for her doping positive...I don't know Dutch/Afrikaan, so I don't know which word to click on to "Edit|" that page with the doping positive....any takers?

that page is German not Afrikaans..
and someone has already done the edit (bearbeiten),

Im November 2014 wurde Hattingh wegen Dopings für zwei Jahre gesperrt.

fast work..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
My other thoughts were that "human capital" at the point of collection was the most expensive piece of the puzzle, if you could simply "collect and store" a lot of AG samples and save them for a later date, with urine only it is much easier, faster and more cost effective. IE if you have a problem catch the low hanging fruit first (like you said above)

In other words for AG increase frequency of collection (sampling) but maybe only test in certain random or targeted cases (i.e. test a whole AG at one race, test all KQ, test 1st and then 2 random top ten, test all of XYZ athlete's samples etc)

Maurice

I would argue that you do not even need to store the samples. Simply collecting a large amount of samples and only testing a random (or possibly targeted) number of them would add to the deterement. This of course depends on the cost of collection versus the cost of the actual testing. If for the same price you could collect 50 samples for the price of one test, that would be a pretty good trade off for me, as long as some actual tests were still taking place.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

that page is German not Afrikaans..
and someone has already done the edit (bearbeiten),

Im November 2014 wurde Hattingh wegen Dopings für zwei Jahre gesperrt.

fast work..

I just landed at the page and just assumed it must be Afrikaans....but good to see the Germans are on it. She better not go race in Germany after the 2 year ban as I hear it is jail time for those that eat Spanish beef imported to Johannesburg...but man, I'd love to be as lean as her. She's only 2 weeks younger than me based on the wikipedia page, but I'm not going the Spanish beef route. Stuck on the Macca approved Cabbage and water plan if I really want to get lean!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next