Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has quite a history of results. So much so that I would believe that either anti-doping controls are poor or that she inadvertently took something recently. Sadly I think both is the correct answer :/

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
desert dude wrote:
The point is to clean up the sport. There will be some more AG positives coming out in the next 3-4 months from around the world. Shocking I know, but at least one was a Kona qualifier.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that at least 1 person who took a Kona slot at IMAZ has or was using PED's in the past year.

Sure there are dirty pro's who are not getting caught. There are dirty age groupers who aren't getting caught. But the more people that get caught and the more people who find out about it, the more likely is that someone will decide to race clean vs dirty bc of the risks.

Yes but, two years? Who's that going to stop? In the two years, you can maximize your drug use, go do some running races that you always wanted to do, Taper off the drugs just in time and come back stronger than ever. Should be a lifetime ban across all sports.

I agree. Lifetime ban across swimming, cycling, running, etc would probably make at least a few people think twice.

I disagree on a lifetime ban across all sports. In the pro ranks I'd say you should serve a ban and after that, 90% of your prize money goes to anti-doping charities/programs. In the amateur ranks I'd say you should serve a ban, be permanently prevented from any world-level events (Kona, ITU worlds, etc) AND you are put on a public doping offenders list with the offence listed, have your name has an asterisk next to it on all event results, and ineligible for any award at any race. That's obviously a lot of organisation so there might be an easier implementation.

People will make mistakes and it would be nice to still have them in the community. If they repent and continue participating for enjoyment they will serve as a warning for other competitors who are thinking about doing it. For people who make a 'mistake' like eating too much contaminated steak it would be listed on the register for all to see. If you did EPO you could hardly go around telling your teammates that someone slipped a blood transfusion in your morning coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note to self...don't become a roadie where "99%" don't care about drug use in cycling races, or Master's using T-therapy to get an edge in their racing. No wonder cycling is so messed up when even the grass roots members defend PED usage! I mean WOW, I don't even know what to say to that mindset other than I don't want to be part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His POV certainly does not represent the majority opinion of bike racers.

I'd also submit that tri is just as messed up, but participants are less willing to accept or talk about it. At least there's some testing in cycling (though not enough) while for tri it's virtually non-existent.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

>It IS a wild west. Given that there is no money for testing, it will always be a wild west.

I disagree with you. Without using all caps. I believe even the barest threat of testing has a large dampening effect on doping.

No it doesn't.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Devlin [ In reply to ]
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
At least there's some testing in cycling (though not enough) while for tri it's virtually non-existent.

Anyone know why there isn't much testing? With advances in technology you'd think testing for the common stuff would be easy and cheaper to do?
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
At least there's some testing in cycling (though not enough) while for tri it's virtually non-existent.

Anyone know why there isn't much testing? With advances in technology you'd think testing for the common stuff would be easy and cheaper to do?

You would think, and there are a few doctors that claim cheap and easy testing. But, you also have to consider how to pay for the staff that monitors results, goes out and performs testings, storage and legal fees for challenges, etc.

Add to that the levels that can be tested for (A gross test that says "Yeah positive for X" is much cheaper than "Positive for X at a level of Y parts per Z units"), and it keeps the costs high. Last time I looked into this, there were exactly two labs in the whole of the US that were certified to do USADA testing.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2!? That's crazy.

With regards to funding it all, I think you basically have to poll all of the USAT (or whatever governing body) and say do you want a cleaner sport and willing to pay an extra $X per year for your membership; or; do you want to leave it as is. USAT claims it has $550k members so an extra $5/year provides funding of $2.75MM. Whether that would translate to any notable difference in testing levels I have no idea.

I guess my point is you have a poll and let the community speak
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
2!? That's crazy.

With regards to funding it all, I think you basically have to poll all of the USAT (or whatever governing body) and say do you want a cleaner sport and willing to pay an extra $X per year for your membership; or; do you want to leave it as is. USAT claims it has $550k members so an extra $5/year provides funding of $2.75MM. Whether that would translate to any notable difference in testing levels I have no idea.

Trust me, I went through a lot of that. I was trying to put together a team that would be randomly tested, and also advocate for stronger testing measures among AG athletes. The overwhelming consensus among the twitcherati was that they didn't want to pay extra bucks for it.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=testing;#4204597
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=testing;#4424538
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing%20clean;#4226200

Try those threads for starters. People all say they want clean sport until it's time to either cough up some extra $$ or pee in a cup themselves.

John

Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
http://www.triathlonsa.co.za/...iewNews.aspx?id=1046

Fairly consistent results over the last few years makes me wonder.....

http://www.the-sports.org/...thlon-spf124156.html

I was just thinking of this thread, and if nothing else kudos to the guys in South Africa for actually testing. Over the last 30 years racing in Canada, I have not been tested a single time and have not heard of any of my buddies being tested. During this time, we have collectively won Kona slots, national championships, Armed Forces Championships, 70.3 WC lots....never a single whiff of getting tested.

I get it, we are age groupers and the drug testing police here in Canada have bigger fish to fry...but as a very minimum, the folks in South Africa busted one of their own. How often does that happen in the age grouper ranks in Canada?

Just testing once in a while (even once a year at nationals or a major IM) might keep a few people on the honest side. Right now, it's basically the wild west around here. If you are South African, German, or American, your safe bet is racing in Canada in the land of Ben Johnson for KQ slots LOL :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
2!? That's crazy.

So 0.5% of triathletes get tested at $1000 per test. The testing takes place at races because the average one-and-done participant won't stand for OOC testing. Anyone who is intentionally doping will go off the juice before the handful of triathlons he does a year, and even the ones who are not so bright will still race for years and years without getting popped. The end result will be that most of the people "caught" will be unintentionally doping by taking supplements and other OTC products, which will make potential participants question whether it is worth the risk of doing a triathlon. This is supposed to help?

People need to accept that there is no solution. It is a hobby. Race yourself and be satisfied with how you perform relative to your own potential. It does not matter what anyone else does.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
dado0583 wrote:
2!? That's crazy.

So 0.5% of triathletes get tested at $1000 per test. The testing takes place at races because the average one-and-done participant won't stand for OOC testing. Anyone who is intentionally doping will go off the juice before the handful of triathlons he does a year, and even the ones who are not so bright will still race for years and years without getting popped. The end result will be that most of the people "caught" will be unintentionally doping by taking supplements and other OTC products, which will make potential participants question whether it is worth the risk of doing a triathlon. This is supposed to help?

People need to accept that there is no solution. It is a hobby. Race yourself and be satisfied with how you perform relative to your own potential. It does not matter what anyone else does.

Screw that, man. I don't have a solution, but athletes/people cannot be trusted and need to at least have the fear that they'll be tested. We live in a society now that is basically self medicated, all the time, and it has bled over to sports. They don't even see it as wrong!

I see that Devlin posted links with STers stating they support, but don't want to pay extra for AG testing. I would not mind. Tack on 5 extra bucks to the annual membership, don't make it optional, and have it go towards random testing, but with extra emphasis on top AGers.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Screw that, man. I don't have a solution, but athletes/people cannot be trusted and need to at least have the fear that they'll be tested. We live in a society now that is basically self medicated, all the time, and it has bled over to sports. They don't even see it as wrong!

I see that Devlin posted links with STers stating they support, but don't want to pay extra for AG testing. I would not mind. Tack on 5 extra bucks to the annual membership, don't make it optional, and have it go towards random testing, but with extra emphasis on top AGers.

You might as well be upset because people cheat at Strava. It just does not fucking matter. This is not even a first world problem. It is a first world hangnail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
d00d wrote:

You might as well be upset because people cheat at Strava. It just does not fucking matter. This is not even a first world problem. It is a first world hangnail.

People cheat at Strava!!!???? Nooooooooooooo

Hangnail? More like a shart. Uncomfortable, but not going to stop anything.

I had another thought...Maybe USAT makes that extra $5 optional, just to gauge interest. Even if 10% of members checked yes, that's still a quarter million that goes towards testing. I don't know, maybe add a little icon or blurb on your USAT card (kind of like organ donors on driver's licenses) that state you donated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is why tri should adopt the CAT system. And then anyone racing at CAT1/2 can be eligible for a WC slot (Kona or 70.3). And in order to accept CAT 1/2 licensing, you need to participate in IOC and OOC testing. And you need to pay the extra fee for the testing.

No road block type testing at events for the one-and-done'rs. No fear of accidental supplementation from Nyquil or Flintstone vitamins.

You want to race against the best in your age group and be clean, then cat up, then pony up the extra testing fee, and play it clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a sec, you shart and keep going? Nasty. Go change first or that can become a nasty rash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

If it doesn't matter, are you advocating that we let everyone dope (pros included)? Maybe we should let everyone draft too? How about cutting the course? At the end of the day you need rules to define the boundaries of the sport so that people are actually doing the same sport. Rules evolve and maybe one day the sport/society says doping is okay but right now it is cheating, and cheating is a characteristic that should be discouraged.

My personal belief is that doping is not safe to all those that do it and has long term health impacts so it should therefore be against the rules. Additionally it would create a two-tier system by which the haves who can afford to dope gain an unnatural advantage.

Imagine your kid gets into triathlon and he gets his arse whopped week in week out because the other kids in his hood are doing EPO. If you allow doping to go uncontrolled believe me there will be crazy parents that push their kids into doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Which is why tri should adopt the CAT system. And then anyone racing at CAT1/2 can be eligible for a WC slot (Kona or 70.3). And in order to accept CAT 1/2 licensing, you need to participate in IOC and OOC testing. And you need to pay the extra fee for the testing.

No road block type testing at events for the one-and-done'rs. No fear of accidental supplementation from Nyquil or Flintstone vitamins.

You want to race against the best in your age group and be clean, then cat up, then pony up the extra testing fee, and play it clean.

I love this idea!
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rbuike wrote:
http://www.triathlonsa.co.za/...iewNews.aspx?id=1046

Fairly consistent results over the last few years makes me wonder.....

http://www.the-sports.org/...thlon-spf124156.html

I was just thinking of this thread, and if nothing else kudos to the guys in South Africa for actually testing. Over the last 30 years racing in Canada, I have not been tested a single time and have not heard of any of my buddies being tested. During this time, we have collectively won Kona slots, national championships, Armed Forces Championships, 70.3 WC lots....never a single whiff of getting tested.

I get it, we are age groupers and the drug testing police here in Canada have bigger fish to fry...but as a very minimum, the folks in South Africa busted one of their own. How often does that happen in the age grouper ranks in Canada?

Just testing once in a while (even once a year at nationals or a major IM) might keep a few people on the honest side. Right now, it's basically the wild west around here. If you are South African, German, or American, your safe bet is racing in Canada in the land of Ben Johnson for KQ slots LOL :-)

I was curious about this because it says the was caught at a 70.3 in east London, which would mean that British Triathlon (or what ever they are called) is working with WTC to test AG at non-champioship races.

I would be curious to know the details, if its true….I think it indicates a shift in testing frequency/and or event frequency for the positive.

I think this was IC testing not targeted,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

Unfortunately you are right on the economics of this. A recent study suggested that to detect 100% of potential doping in one year by any given athlete would require 15-60 tests a year at a cost of 25000$ a year PER ATHLETE (http://omicsonline.org/open-access/antidoping-systems-in-sports-are-doomed-to-fail-a-probability-and-cost-analysis-2161-0673.1000148.pdf?aid=32505).

Only sports like cycling and track and field invest anything close to this and only to the very top echelon of competitors. To get caught as an AG racer one would have to be either very brazen (Moats) or very stupid (perhaps this SA athlete. Testing effectiveness needs to be improved massively, until then it is a moral deterrent more than anything.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
If it doesn't matter, are you advocating that we let everyone dope (pros included)?

I am just stating the reality that the testing is ineffective and the economics do not work out.

dado0583 wrote:
Additionally it would create a two-tier system by which the haves who can afford to dope gain an unnatural advantage.

There is already a two tier system. People buy an advantage in the form of equipment. Making the field unlevel has become a central part of triathlon culture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
I had another thought...Maybe USAT makes that extra $5 optional, just to gauge interest. Even if 10% of members checked yes, that's still a quarter million that goes towards testing. I don't know, maybe add a little icon or blurb on your USAT card (kind of like organ donors on driver's licenses) that state you donated.

$250,000 (unfortunately) wouldn't even really pay for the administration costs.

For the UCI biological passport (Covering just the UCIPro registered teams and UCI Continental Pro registered team) program it's around the $5 million mark as of 2012. So you're talking a few thousand riders/staff, and we see how well that is working.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

If it doesn't matter, are you advocating that we let everyone dope (pros included)?

I am just stating the reality that the testing is ineffective and the economics do not work out.

dado0583 wrote:

Additionally it would create a two-tier system by which the haves who can afford to dope gain an unnatural advantage.

There is already a two tier system. People buy an advantage in the form of equipment. Making the field unlevel has become a central part of triathlon culture.

This is a defeatist outlook. There are always answers for those willing to look for them. You can reduce the equipment advantage with draft legal racing, for example. Not all measures will be cost effective day 1, but if you have a plan on how to make it cost effective then you're half way there.
Quote Reply
Re: AGer popped for PED in SA [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
East London IS in South Africa.
Quote Reply

Prev Next