Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
First challenge, and I'm, uh, challenged :)

I'm logging my runs but they're not getting totaled in the running challenge part. What am I doing wrong, oh experienced drinkers and runners?

You need to make sure you are adding a time (even approximate) for the run. It won't log against the challenge if there is no time.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Last edited by: otto: Dec 4, 12 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people should also log what they are drinking, not just how many they drank. Requires a bit more time, but kinda fun to see what other people are sipping on.
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying that in the competition a few years ago. Sometime, especially on the runaway nights it can get pretty tough to remember. Usually just gets added in to the notes section. For the most part, my consumption revolves around the copious quantities of homemade beer that we have in the basement, and then the odd belt of bourbon or scotch. Once Christmas gets a little closer, the rum & nog and baileys-coffee will factor in a lot more.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That'd be fun to see. If we log them in the comments can others see them?

Pony up boys (& girls), this challenge is a blast so far!

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [cyberjunkie21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe so. You can check my last entry to be sure. I added a comment in there. I believe you can also comment back. Which opens up a whole new form of smack talk, based on what people are drinking.

Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [cyberjunkie21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyberjunkie21 wrote:
That'd be fun to see. If we log them in the comments can others see them?

I have been logging mine just for fun, check it out...I think you should be able to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, yeah that works. Just went back and made a few edits. Now I'm off to work on my *ahem* game.

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent day on the treadmill for me, although I did have a bit of a Brad Pitt Moment when the drums kicked in on "She Sells Sanctuary."

Last edited by: QuadsofFURY: Dec 4, 12 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just realized...this isn't going to work out so well for me. I am working hard to inflate my total here, but I only have "good" beer...I'm averaging like 8-9% ABV per 12 oz., none of this fluff stuff. Toss on a bourbon or two for a night cap and oh boy...Christmas party this Saturday is starting to look scary! Especially with a few hours of mountain biking before it and a long trail run the day after...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suck it up Princess. We are similar to you in that we drink high alcohol % beers regularly. You ain't gettin no sympathy from us!

AP ;-)

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Suck it up Princess.

I covet your AmZof stein...just sayin'...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High ABV is how we roll up here, North of the 49th. Like AP said, suck it up! We have to brew beer on Saturday. First rule of brewing; You must have finished product in hand. A good brew session is at least 5-6 hours. Just sayin'.

Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the ranking work amongst those with the same totals?

There are currently six people with 12 drinks logged.
None have logged any distance or points.
We aren't ranked by #drinks/Frequency, alphabetically, or by any other obvious (to me) means.

Is it cross referenced with the running log?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelerguy wrote:
I think people should also log what they are drinking, not just how many they drank. Requires a bit more time, but kinda fun to see what other people are sipping on.

Oof. Kind of embarrased to list what I've had so far, because it's just not my normal fare. I'll bite anyway....
- Saturday night - 4 glasses of wine (variety of whites) + 4 beers (all uber dark, strong - I don't remember the brand)
- Sunday - 1 Beck's + 3 goblets of some vodka that comes in a skull shaped bottle (straight up)
- Tuesday - 3 glasses of Chardonay

I'm really not a wine guy, but I'm out of beer, and I keep forgetting to stop at the store for more. Lame excuse, I know.

Running-wise: I kow I won't get to 200 miles this December. I'm just taking my time and having some shorter relaxed runs. It's a good time to just enjoy the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a better chance that I'll go over 200 drinks than hit 200 miles. I haven't increased my drinking and it's worrying me little....

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [seh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to up my drinking game.... Lagunitas Brown Sugaa last night kind of did me in, then I saw 9.9% and was like oh, kind of makes sense...

I remember my frst beer.

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brewing has suffered the last couple of years as my training has increased. Your brewery picture inspired me though...ordered up the ingredients for my Rye IPA. Won't be able to get to it this weekend, but hopefully the next. Got some cider going but that is so easy...just not brewing if you are not boiling copious amounts of liquid and running water through grain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelerguy wrote:
My brewing has suffered the last couple of years as my training has increased. Your brewery picture inspired me though...ordered up the ingredients for my Rye IPA. Won't be able to get to it this weekend, but hopefully the next. Got some cider going but that is so easy...just not brewing if you are not boiling copious amounts of liquid and running water through grain!

Amen to that. Ours can output 15 gal per boil, though we typically keep the batches to 10 gal to avoid boil over. Once we land some larger fermenters, we're going to get 'serious'. Tired of using the 5 gal pales.

Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with you on the trail running counting more. I finished the Tecumseh Trail Marathon on day 1 of this challenge and it sure feels like I ran more than 26.2 miles. But I am happy to say that if you combine my running with the drinking we did during the race - I logged an ultra for this challenge - a shot at the start, three beers on the course and two shots at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I was kinda concerned that i had been drinking a little too much and was dialing it back a little this fall. And since December, I have been making sure I drink :) every night at least a few and I'm getting my ass kicked like a little girl on here. I feel so ashamed, I'm having to relook at my running and drinking and drinking and running plan and find a way to step it up. Damn ya'll can put it away. Here's my plan this weekend to get caught up.

---------------------------------
Hold my Beer and watch this!
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only total of min of "Other" - that's it. I usually do a Xref with each category weighted to 50% value a few times during the month.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checking the results so far, here's who's in Top 20 on both Challenges, no particular ranking to this list:
  • otto
  • mmason
  • TheRhino
  • ironeric2010
  • morey000
  • steelerguy
  • cyberjunkie21
  • mgalluzz
  • me (AndyPants)

I will do a weighted cross-reference later today to rank. However if you are not on this list above, you either need to run more or drink more or both ;-)

Top 20 Drinkers as of now:

NameRankFreq.Time &#8593;Dist.PointsLast w.o.
otto150:440.000.0011:00
Carolina220:350.000.0021:00
Rattlesnake350:330.000.0011:00
steelerguy470:310.000.0005:00
cyberjunkie21540:290.000.0006:00
Bifff640:2731.800.0010.0 km
AndyPants760:270.000.0005:00
seh840:260.000.0005:00
mmason950:260.000.0006:00
QuadsofFURY1020:240.000.0007:00
AMT041150:230.000.0005:00
Meats1220:220.000.0004:00
FatteLatte1330:220.000.0004:00
ironeric20101440:210.000.0004:00
mgalluzz1550:200.000.0001:00
dhyoung91640:1611.270.0002:00
TheRhino1750:160.000.0004:00
trislayer1830:150.000.0003:00
Khai1950:150.000.0003:00
morey0002060:140.000.0002:00

The Top 20 Runners as of now:

NameRankFreq.TimeDist. &#8593;PointsLast w.o
.knewbike1610:0294.47234.805.7 km
WillyMFire276:2476.28189.6012.9 km
irongirlk396:2074.19184.408.0 km
DWittig455:2372.50180.2015.5 km
djastroman537:0471.74178.329.7 km
mmason666:4071.05176.6014.3 km
TheRhino786:1865.98164.008.0 km
Borden865:0661.43152.6811.0 km
eabecker934:1759.38147.6011.6 km
ironeric20101056:1158.90146.4010.5 km
habitman1164:4757.79143.647.0 km
instigator1227:2056.70140.9314.5 km
AndyPants1365:1856.50140.4311.0 km
morey0001444:4650.36125.186.6 km
duthemath1534:0050.33125.1013.1 km
otto1664:3350.15124.655.5 km
steelerguy1734:0947.23117.4011.6 km
cyberjunkie211834:4545.06112.008.0 km
mgalluzz1953:2544.74111.204.2 km
maija2033:2541.76103.806.8 km

------------------------
Last edited by: AndyPants: Dec 6, 12 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm way off pace on all fronts compared to last year.

I have a huge drinking night on tap for Saturday night. It's the kind of drinking where my skills can really shine through. It will include several varieties of beer, wine, and liquor in no particular order. Kinda scary.

This may impact my ability to run on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I can sniff the podium on either front but I am gunning for a top 10 finish in both, seems like a healthy balance. Not sure if I am happy or sad but it looks like the hard one is going to be the drinking part. I used to be a pro but looking at the early numbers you guys/gals are putting up if you don't end up in rehab half way through I may not be able to keep up.
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
I used to be a pro but looking at the early numbers you guys/gals are putting up if you don't end up in rehab half way through I may not be able to keep up.

This has been a VERY mild start to the challenge....

And this year, I might just be on cruise control on the drinking side, and don't want to over-do it on the running side (although this big guy ran a decent 5 miles for my 5th run back), but I do have a weekend with Mrs. Quads in Ottawa planned for the 28th - 31st, where things usually get out of control.

Prev Next