Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awww shucks. :-) I'm very honoured. I try hard to represent the womens but in an estrogen-zone-friendly way.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [QuadsofFURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QuadsofFURY wrote:
luckytotri wrote:
Quads, I've been outta commission for 7 days... No running, no drinking for 7 days. I can't even say that about any of my pregnancies!

How did your kids turn out?? :-)

Upon rereading this I realized just how scary this probably sounded. I didn't run a ton when I was pregnant, but stayed active throughout and only ran ~2-3 easy miles a day. Did a ton of yoga though (was teaching). After about 4 months, I had 1 glass of wine or a beer most days. All three kids are perfect :)

For the record, after last night, if I never have egg nog and brandy again, that will probably be OK. Oy.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Dec 27, 12 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got dropped out of the top 10 (drinking) - again. What the hell was going on last night? There was 10 for AndyPants, 21 for Carolina, and lots of double digit efforts on a Wednesday no less.

Is everybody getting together and partying to run up the drinking score?

Running-wise: Another day on the treadmill. At least the current snowfall could mean that there might be some snowshoe action possible before the end of the month.
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well to figuratively 'lick my wounds' from falling off the treadmill yesterday morning, I hit the beer pretty solid for a Wednesday after work. No double digit, but 8 was solid. :)

Looking for a potential repeat performance tonight & tomorrow night.

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
QuadsofFURY wrote:
luckytotri wrote:
Quads, I've been outta commission for 7 days... No running, no drinking for 7 days. I can't even say that about any of my pregnancies!

How did your kids turn out?? :-)

Upon rereading this I realized just how scary this probably sounded. I didn't run a ton when I was pregnant, but stayed active throughout and only ran ~2-3 easy miles a day. Did a ton of yoga though (was teaching). After about 4 months, I had 1 glass of wine or a beer most days. All three kids are perfect :)

For the record, after last night, if I never have egg nog and brandy again, that will probably be OK. Oy.

J/K, my wife is half-Swiss - so daily alcohol consumption while pregnant wasn't the taboo it is now in the US.

I just found an online calculator for liters to ounces - oops, I've been under-crediting my consumption by a sizeable margin but too lazy to go back and re-compute.

Last edited by: QuadsofFURY: Dec 27, 12 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - we we're visiting family. :-) Now I gotta get back running - last two days I have felt like crap with a cold (giant phlegm burger in my upper chest). I am feeling better today, hope to get in ~10k later today, but that leaves 3 days to log 60k. I have done worse. Am seriously debating just 10k today and 10k tomorrow, then Sunday off and 50k on Monday the 31st. Go out big eh? ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No running in sight still. Shoveled some more today, and going DH skiing tomorrow. Mrs. Quads' first day out since shredding her ACL in Lake Placid 2 years ago. Should be interesting....

Everyone have a great weekend.

Quote | Reply
Just back from another 18k with the dog. Finally feeling better, but... now I have 31k left to log on the 31st. Seems appropriate some how ;-)

How's everyone feeling?

The runners who've already hit 200mi:

NOexplode
DWittig
habitman
WillyMFire
irongirlk
mmason
TheRhino
djastroman

Those within 50k include:

otto
duthemath
AndyPants
Rattlesnake
Borden
steelerguy
morey000

Top 10 on the drinking side:

otto
QuadsofFURY
mmason
Rattlesnake
steelerguy
AMT04
cyberjunkie21
TheRhino
AndyPants
Bifff

The ONLY people on both lists (*incl. runners who are close) are:

otto*
TheRhino
Rattlesnake*
steelerguy*
mmason
AndyPants*

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck with your final 31k. My entire final week got completely derailed....originally, all I needed was 12k per day for 8 days....which meant running an hour a day with a day off and a single 2 hour run day. Seemed pretty doable until the flu from hell took over our entire home and left everyone out of commission for more or less an entire week. Oh well....got to my original goal of getting in at least 220K to get to 2600K for the year. Happy New Year to everyone. Hopefully you get to various athletic, personal and professional goals in 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same bug that visited your house must have visited ours--the whole family down for a week ;/ I'm sorry! I still have high hopes of rallying and hitting 100/100 even though I had to bag the 200 in December. Hope you are well on the road to recovery and thanks for being such an inspiration and motivator.

I also really liked your response in the LR about India. You have a very inclusive, persuasive writing style that we see so rarely on ST. Thanks for being such a cool human.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yeah the kid's cold tried to keep me down too - tis the season.

I also echo luckytotri's comment re: India. Horrible situation but stereotyping does nothing to help. I for one would love to visit India - the closest I will get will be Durban RSA next June :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done what I can do. I was a few miles short of what I thought I would be, but 158 miles running for a PR ain't too shabby. Logged a solid double digit night for another gain on the top 10 drinking list however! Happy New Year's to all!

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [cyberjunkie21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last 13km of the year to go over the top on the 200mile mark. Now, I will enjoy myself a tasty baileys coffee. Happy 2013 to y'all.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Last edited by: otto: Dec 31, 12 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: 6th Annual December Running + Drinking Challenge [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hats off to you Otto. Your totals are truly impressive. Do you dial it down for the season?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. I dial the running right down to get in more riding and pool sessions. ;)

When you have a brewery in your basement, it is very hard to cut back on the other. However, yes, December tends to be the heavy month, and I completely blame this challenge.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
otto[b wrote:
]Sure. I dial the running right down to get in more riding and pool sessions[/b]. ;)

When you have a brewery in your basement, it is very hard to cut back on the other. However, yes, December tends to be the heavy month, and I completely blame this challenge.

Hahaha! Awesome :)

You obviously still get it done, look at those miles! Strong work man.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I now have the Leadman registration window up. Last day to get the earlybird discount. To 250 or not to 250 is the question. We did the 125 in Bend last year, and it was awesome. Who can argue with a race that has Deschutes Brewing giving out beer at the finish line? May need to spend a lot more time on the bike in the coming months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it man. 250? You got it, fo sho. Then come back and tell us all about it :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply amazing venue. Aside from the near freezing temperatures at the lake in the morning. The 4C air temp made the 14C water feel warm. However, the water was crystal clear with really cool volcanic rock outcroppings along the bottom. The ride is just amazing. Cannot compete with that scenery anywhere. The run course leaves a little to be desired, but at least it isn't a silly 42.2km, just a hilly 22km to end the day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Dude, you lost me at 4C. F that. Is that an outlier temp for the end of September there? Man, I hate, hate, hate being cold. Cold + cold water swimming? Hells to the no. What was the temp on the bike? Run?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that's 31k on the 31st done and done (ok technically it was 32k but who the f cares) so I can remove the asterisk by my name now! Yay!

I'll post an updated top 10 (or 20) tomorrow.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! (yes I am shouting haha)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Christmas, I received ingredients for a batch of home brew. It dawned on me that I still had another batch from a present earlier in the year. Rather than make two batches, I doubled up the kits to make an extra strong batch of IPA. I The total malt in this brew was ~10Lb (for a 6 gallon batch). I'm figuring this will wind up around 8% or 9% when completed. I was in violation of standard homebrew protocol, because I did not enjoy a frosty beer during the process. I had a run planned for post brewing, and I knew that one frosty brew would lead to 3 or four more (and eliminate the possibility of a run).

The fermentation has begun, the run is complete, and beers are on the menu for the evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that's a major violation right there. You're lucky I don't kick your door down in 3-4 weeks and confiscate that beer :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also see that we can remove the asterisk from duthemath and otto's names... still time to log some k's folks!

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year AP!

Great job on all the running and drinking, I think 31 (32*) on the 31st is gonna have to become a tradition:) I'll do my best to make sure I'm able to get it done next year. Enjoy a well earned day off from running and have skiing with the kiddos!

--------
Quote Reply

Prev Next