Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona
Quote | Reply
https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._in_Hawaii_8417.html

Big week for IM.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Zippy303 [ In reply to ]
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a race with 55 slots, will the normal distribution process work for AGs?

Press release reads as though men and women will have separate days, which means fewer men overall than this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women Thursday, men Saturday.

Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Women Thursday, men Saturday.
What.... <checks> oh yeah it is true.

Did Kona tourism board have a say in that decision?

No matter. S'all good as long as we are back in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So 100 slots (vs. a new standard of 55) to the biggest known draft fest out of the US races for IM Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Quotes in the article specifically from the county, etc. Basically about how important the partnership between the community and the race is, and two days was important to them both.

Kona is the sacred cow.

Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Ok so women's is Saturday (?) and men's Sunday (?)

and then more Legacy slots open up too?

Article says Thursday and Saturday if I read correctly?

Also I really hope some kind of % fairness will be in place for AG men! I really see how they could get shafted or women's gets watered down.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Press release reads as though men and women will have separate days, which means fewer men overall than this year.

They've moving from men and women share a race, to each gender gets its own day (+ a lot of extra women's slots), and you're thinking that men are losing slots?

Yes I realize that this year specifically might be different (2 days with the older men on the first day), but vs any other historical year, both genders have increased the available slots
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts go right to the cost of accommodations. Can 3k to 4k athletes stay on the island at a "reasonable" price? I've read about athletes giving up on their 2022 trips due to the high prices. I'm not sure it's only about the country's current economic problems.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can, if they're willing to travel a bit on race morning.

My speculation (based on nothing than my own gut) is that there's going to be some type of shuttle system developed from some of the places further north to bring athletes and spectators down on race morning. Probably some VinFast buses, if you read between the lines on that particular announcement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was the play from the beginning. This is why StG is now left at the alter….

The need to move some cruise ships in for accommodations lol

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Waingro wrote:

They've moving from men and women share a race, to each gender gets its own day (+ a lot of extra women's slots), and you're thinking that men are losing slots?

Yes I realize that this year specifically might be different (2 days with the older men on the first day), but vs any other historical year, both genders have increased the available slots

I’m not complaining. Just trying to do the math. Frankly, I think the qualification standards this year were a joke.

For men, we basically are going back about five years to when there were 50 slots per race vs 40–meaning biggest AGs get 6 vs 4 slots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the big island right now. Upon arrival I stood in line for almost two hours to get to the rental car agent. I was then assigned a vehicle that was still being fueled, vacuumed out and washed, which was to add an additional hour to my wait time. This is the new normal according to one of only 3 employees handling that shift. Hopefully it's better in October!
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [WilliamBrasky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Literally only replying because you have the best username here ever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, looks like the Big Island blinked and committed to the two day race format before seeing how it goes this year. They must be hurting and spooked by IMSG.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how they divide up the ‘normal slots’. For a race that normally has 55 slots, and then the extra set of slots for women, do the original 55 follow their normal distribution?

Overall I think this is a good thing. It will make the whole experience more expensive because obviously more people in Kona for that week, but it does a)allow more people to qualify, b) supports Kona economically, and c) allows people to keep their ego intact by saying they qualified when it was only a one day event and it was harder to do it then.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edited as i misread and Mt Tremblant is included. now, i live in penticton so still a bit miffed no pro race here this year, and not included on this womens extra slot list. I mean, our license agreement with Ironman is the best (FOR THEM) on the circuit.

anyway, this is very good news. Ironman are moving the needle here for equal opportunity and growth in the sport after decades of the 'proportional representation' model. I applaud this move.

@rhyspencer
Last edited by: rhys: Jul 28, 22 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does include Tremblant.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mixed feelings being one of those athletes who have come sort of close to getting a slot (been 4th, 8th, 5th, 3rd) in the 4 IMs I did in 2016 to 2019. I really wanted to qualify while it was still hard to do so. I was hoping last year in MD would be it. But I came down with a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis which has creeped into 2022 a bit. I'm now in my 50s and not sure how long I'll do the full IMs. So part of me feels really happy this is a realistic goal for 2023. I do wonder about accommodations and travel challenges with that many people in 2023.

I will say that having done 2x 70.3 worlds races, participating in a women's only race is just so nice. I loved that (no offense guys). So if I can qualify for 2023, I really look forward to a women's only race.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
god, i glossed right over that after i saw ireland and was like 'there's a race there, how cool is that?"

thanks!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Stelvio gets the crown for the first negative comment on what surely must be good news for people who want to race at Kona....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, good news for those who at whatever $$$ it takes to go to Kona, want to go there and just do it. For those who seek a true world top-class AG event, it is bad news.
I understand IM when they decided why to limit the AG participation to results performance, when they can sell out the event to whoever is ready to pay for it no matter how good of a long-distance triathlete you are. But the essence of a World Championship is to do an event for the best of their class, not open to anyone.

So I guess we all need to stop recognizing Kona as a true World Championship. Until 2019 was nice while it lasted. Fare well, Hawaii IMWC!

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Last edited by: Dr. Triax: Jul 28, 22 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
They can, if they're willing to travel a bit on race morning.

My speculation (based on nothing than my own gut) is that there's going to be some type of shuttle system developed from some of the places further north to bring athletes and spectators down on race morning. Probably some VinFast buses, if you read between the lines on that particular announcement.

I had not heard of VinFast until 30 seconds ago.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
So 100 slots (vs. a new standard of 55) to the biggest known draft fest out of the US races for IM Texas.
Did you not see the additional news of the sponsorship from VinFast? The EV maker will be supplying electric scooters to support the races. The refs have now gone into stealth mode.
Quote Reply

Prev Next