Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a no brainer. All inclusive. Plenty of room. Only need 1 with lots of boats to shuttle people. And the after race parties could be epic.

I’m needs to figure out a bike valet in town for people to leave their bikes and check them out during the week.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
It’s a no brainer. All inclusive. Plenty of room. Only need 1 with lots of boats to shuttle people. And the after race parties could be epic.

I’m needs to figure out a bike valet in town for people to leave their bikes and check them out during the week.

From what I understand, in must jurisdictions, cruise ships cannot operating as floating hotels at a random location where passengers board at the location, stay on ship and disembark at that location on a daily basis. The ship has to leave and go somewhere and come back to the port of embarkation. I don't know the rules in Hawaii, but I would bet that they don't want cruise ships (in general) just floating there and stealing hotel nights from ground based hotels who pay all the local taxes and employ people locally.

In effect, the revenue from having a two day kona then goes to Carnival Cruise lines versus local economy. That's not the point of a two day Kona from the angle of the island government. They don't want to shut themselves down for a second day of racing and give all the revenue to a cruise line company!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Experience of 1: when i broke up with Ironman it felt liberating until it didn't.

the problem: I went and did some other races and they sucked. Like they really sucked! One thing Ironman gets right is race production.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Experience of 1: when i broke up with Ironman it felt liberating until it didn't.

the problem: I went and did some other races and they sucked. Like they really sucked! One thing Ironman gets right is race production.

No offense, but this is just stating the obvious .........................

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

Ironman is the best triathlon race promoter at scale in the world. The fact that it gets so much stick around here shows how much of a silo slowtwitch.com/forums can be. Us twitchers can't seem to admit to ourselves that Ironman will and forever own the market and that triathlon is a participation and not a consumer driven sport.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
They needed to spread the womens slots out evenly maybe 20 womens slots every race not say 100 at one race and none at the next. And they have over done it, maybe have more everyone slots and about half the quantity of female only.

It will be tough as a male to see a female who finishes 15 out of 25 starters finishing 3 hours behind the AG winner get a slot while men finishing in 5th place only 15 mins back from their Age Group winner miss out.

Its great to see more normal slots as it was getting almost too hard to qualify.

Another option would also be making some slots just for first timers to kona so some new faces get a chance rather then the repeat offenders.

Or also how about making legacy lower perhaps 8 races, and recognising those athletes in order to boost numbers, there would be a lot of women on that basket who have not done Kona also.

I thought one solution is that if you race kona this year, you don't get to race for 4 more years (basically you get one trip inside each age group that you age into). This would allow for more new blood at the race every year, and the reason this is important for Ironman is because the more people who get to Kona, they come home and inspire more others to go so it becomes a virtuous cycle. The same person who goes 8 times in 10 years can only inspire so many.

Personally I am OK when women finishing further from their age group winner getting a slot, because inherently being a woman and doing this sport is much harder than for males. I can go for a run in the woods, in the dark, in strange cities, any time I want, but my sister or wife can't. And many women I know literally will not hit the road solo and 95% of my lifetime miles are solo. Men can get to the start line of every workout more easily than women. Societal barriers are lower for us, so even though on the surface we may think the women's field is less dense, a big part of the competition being a woman triathlete is getting to the start line of each workout and if you can't get to those workout start lines because of societal barriers, the depth of field will be different than for males. So generally I support any move to make womens' sport more accessible and to me that includes Kona slots

Help me to understand the last sentence. I understand your argument that training is harder for women (inter alia because of danger when alone on the streets) but why is the sport more accessible for women if there are more slots.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 29, 22 0:54
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever. It is not my opinion vs. yours.
It is a fact that the IMWC for AGs that we experienced back in the day, when there were no more than 2000 athletes overall, will never be the same. Staying in Waikoloa, even Hilo, takes away all the Kona/Ali’i Dr. experience the previous days. For those who had the chance to live it, they know what I mean.
If it was already a drafting fest, think about it from now on. Impossible to do your own race. It will become an IM fair, not an IM WC. But I am fine with it. Happy to have been and done it before it became a $$ focused event. Never the $$ cost of the experience had been an issue before. Now, you have people who already paid the Kona slot resigning because of the $$ factor, not athletic performance. But again, IM is not mine. Happy to play by their rules, or if not, I will just not go back again. Happy with it once more.
As for the ladies division, great they have their 100% own race… until they reach the same numbers that ruined the male’s race that we are talking about. In the meantime, enjoy it!
Regarding the comment on my nickname, you just showed the kind of person behind yours. Shame on you.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Also, accommodation and car rental is going to be STUPID with all the extra slots. Prepare to stay in Hilo.

I got no problem with the champs staying in Kona - or moving annually to different parts of the world. But it looks like they are staying in Kona and that is OK with me.

I do think it spells the end of my chances of getting there though. I have been edging closer and closer for a number of years and stand a really good chance of getting a slot at IM Lanza next year. But looking at the prices my friends have had to pay to go this time I just cannot justify speding the money to go. I can afford it but its just so selfish to spend such a large amount of money on me and my dream when I know I cannot afford to take family and make it the family holiday. Its just too much money for us all to go. My friends who are going are saying its absolutely absurd the money they have spent on getting there, accommodation and hire cars. One of them could literally buy his own car with the money he is spending on the rental for two weeks! Its absurd!

I think its really short sighted of Ironman to think you can put more people in an event that is alreay struggling to accommodate the athletes and their families. The costs are just going to become prohibitive. I think Kona will become the event only the really rich can go to - which perversly will make it more exclusive and attractive if you can afford it! Of course that also gives Ironman the opportunity to charge even more $$$ for the race and anything else they can make money from. Hell they might even charge you for your real estate in T1 soon!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Kona is the sacred cow.

That's a very good way to put it.

Also, it appears the race has turned from Rich People's Championship to Superrich or Rich and Desperate People's Championship.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great move.

Golf tournament go for 4 days.

Kona 2 races over 3 days is fantastic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m confused.
They are leaving men race essentially same number of racers.
Women expanding.
So less total racers on the course each race day.

When I first saw the headline I thought…oh, gonna grow the field to capacity for both days.
Truly expand the slots.
If the course can handle 2,000 - offer 2k (or whatever the number is) on both days for each gender.

That’s not the case I’m gathering?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:

This.... I am often amused at the complaints about all things IM. IM puts on a safe and professional race. IM is the standard and 2nd isn't close at this time
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
but for me Ironman is now a joke. I agree that it was getting too hard to qualify and more slots is great, but you have got this wrong with just how easy this now will be for Females in the sport v the challenge for Males.

Oh will someone please think about the poor Men and all their suffering!
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the female’s in Ironman I would definitely jump on this for 2023. Ironman is always adjusting and changing qualifications and tinkering with the process. I also know that during covid some qualified athletes had the option of racing 2022 or 23 in Kona so the race was locked in for 23. I wouldn’t be surprised if in 2024 it is moved.

Ironman had a fair process of allocation of slots based on % participation, this wasn’t sexist, it was fair and equal. If they just increase total slots well that would help everyone to qualify.

We have legacy to support people achieve the dream, lower the standard to 10 for men and 5 for females, and you will gain loyalty and achieve greater opportunity for females to do Kona with that mechanism. No one begrudges a person who applies that huge commitment the opportunity to go to kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
but for me Ironman is now a joke. I agree that it was getting too hard to qualify and more slots is great, but you have got this wrong with just how easy this now will be for Females in the sport v the challenge for Males.

Oh will someone please think about the poor Men and all their suffering!

Its not easy racing 200 people for 5 slots in an age group. Its nice the female age group race will have 50 people chasing 25 slots.
And men work hard, I have three young kids so I train early or late, work 40 hours, do a heap of work around the place, support my partner who stays home to do a wonderful job raising our young children and make sure she get to all her fitness and health sessions. Pretty offensive your comment actually to trivialise the work and role of men. And I’m a school teacher for reference not on some big corporate salary, so yer its not always that easy to make everything happen and it is a grind and a juggle, but I am very lucky to do Ironman as its a passion of mine so I make it work.
Last edited by: Gilliga: Jul 29, 22 6:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:

And men work hard, I have three young kids so I train early or late, work 40 hours, do a heap of work around the place, support my partner who stays home to do a wonderful job raising our young children and make sure she get to all her fitness and health sessions. Pretty offensive your comment actually to trivialise the work and role of men.

Congratulations! Most IM triathletes work a full time job and have a family. You're not special. But you know what, a lot of the women do what you claim to do and DON'T have someone else staying at home to take care of the kids and house, they do that as well. And yet you're complaining about them getting an equal number of spots?! Seriously?!
Again, will someone think about the men?!
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Gilliga wrote:

And men work hard, I have three young kids so I train early or late, work 40 hours, do a heap of work around the place, support my partner who stays home to do a wonderful job raising our young children and make sure she get to all her fitness and health sessions. Pretty offensive your comment actually to trivialise the work and role of men.

Congratulations! Most IM triathletes work a full time job and have a family. You're not special. But you know what, a lot of the women do what you claim to do and DON'T have someone else staying at home to take care of the kids and house, they do that as well. And yet you're complaining about them getting an equal number of spots?! Seriously?!
Again, will someone think about the men?!

It’s not equal. Its disproportionate towards female based on % entered.
Last edited by: Gilliga: Jul 29, 22 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
Ive heard they will have an E Bike Athenas Category in the future I recommend you race in that.

Haha! Man you just can't stop revealing yourself can you?!
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cruise ship idea -- I don't know the details but when Jacksonville, FL hosted the Super Bowl they did just that.
Cruise ships to get extra hotel beds.
I would bet they could arrange a deal on the island to get their tax money, etc.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Gilliga [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Gilliga: Jul 29, 22 6:21
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mac wrote:
Cruise ship idea -- I don't know the details but when Jacksonville, FL hosted the Super Bowl they did just that.
Cruise ships to get extra hotel beds.
I would bet they could arrange a deal on the island to get their tax money, etc.
There were 10 cruise ships in Sydney Harbour for the Olympics and IOC has used that model for multiple Olympics since.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the IOC and an Olympics. The gulf in the difference is massive here.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at can't find.
Is there a published list of how many slots will be allocated to each race for 2023 Kona?

Found it
https://www.ironman.com/im-world-championship-2023-slot

Last edited by: Mac: Jul 29, 22 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
Ironfan wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Ive heard they will have an E Bike Athenas Category in the future I recommend you race in that.

It must be hard having someone challenge your opinion. There is a first for everything in this world, anyways good luck qualifying for Kona, ebikes are going to be on a seperate day make sure you check the schedule. Also how are the cats? I forgot to ask earlier.

Dude not an appropriate post at all in any forum. Please stop.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM World Championships: Two Days, Men's and Women's Dedicated Races, in Kona [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Gilliga wrote:
Ironfan wrote:
Gilliga wrote:

It must be hard having someone challenge your opinion. There is a first for everything in this world, anyways good luck qualifying for Kona, ebikes are going to be on a seperate day make sure you check the schedule. Also how are the cats? I forgot to ask earlier.

Dude not an appropriate post at all in any forum. Please stop.

Ok. Acknowledged I will remove it. Got a little carried away.
Quote Reply

Prev Next