Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Kona Survival Guide
Quote | Reply
It's not all that long until the Big Dance. In fact a few very serious people are already in town training. So once again I'm going to repost a few suggestions and comments about how to find your way around town and survive till race day. There are a few updates for the returning Kona Qualifiers and I'll have those at the beginning as well as worked in to the text.

2015 Updates:

If you're back again there are a couple of changes you should be aware of.

Kawaihae Deli: This popular spot for refuleing on rides to and from Hawi town closed shortly after the 2014 IM race. Nothing has replaced it yet. The locals stop at the minimart at the Union 76 gas station just down slope from there. You'll be able to find all the water, Gatorade etc you want there. Be careful as there are a lot of cars coming and going and not a ton of room for bikes around the building. I generally rest my P3 against the outside PO boxes but it does get windy and it's been blown over at least once. Other that that, there is a Foodland affiliated grocery store in the Shops at the Mauna Lani and the Hawi town market.

Road Construction: Someone at the state level in their infinite wisdom decided SEPTEMBER 2015 would be the ideal time to start the next phase of the Queen K widening (The Harbor to the Airport). As of today, September 2, there's not even a hint of it. But if there is by the time you arrive, be careful in the construction zones. Unlike the 2007 and 2008 in town widening someone got smart and supposedly there will be a 7 foot wide bike and pedestrian access on both side of the road 24/7. My guess is the planner for this was the same guy who couldn't figure out that the IMWC was always held on the Saturday closest to the first full moon in October and booked cruise ships in for 2008.

Hopefully, they'll wait on construction until after race day.

Weather: We've had a miserable hot summer. It's been unusually hot and extremely humid, and it's not even Ironman time yet. The past month we've had torrential rain in town every afternoon around 4pm or so. Just take extra precautions for the humidity, even the IMWC veterans.

Coffee Shops: Pauline's Bakery opened a week or so ago in the Old Rapa Nui spot in the banyon Shops very near the pier (Unison is a big tenant in that building). Great malasadas, bread, good coffee. Give them a try as well as the usual spots.

------------ Orginal Post -------------------------------------

It's that time again.

Weather: If you've not visited the Kona Coast during Ironman time, October is the hottest time of the year and it's bordering on one of our wet season. Temperatures out on the Queen K can easily top 90F/ 32C when most folks are running. It's also our windy season out on the Kona coast (Kua Bay northwards)

Water Temperatures: The water will be around 77 -78 F / 25 -26 C. The race is not wet suit legal – ever. Be forewarned though, the water at the pier is significantly cooler than that. Kailua (that's the town's real name) is Hawaiian for 2 waters. There are fresh water springs from the pier entry on out to abeam the Kona Inn. Most of the course won't be that cold.

The swim course starts being set up on Thursday before the race and is finished Friday afternoon. There will be a few buoys set before the race marking the general swim course. There are usually a bunch of locals swimming at least the 1.2 early in the mornings so if you're in doubt about the course ask them. Some leave at 6:30 am or so and others around 8:00. Plus if you're arriving a week or so before the race, there will be a lot of other more familiar athletes in town, tag along with them.

Bike safety (pre race): Things have settled down around town with bicyclist the past two years. let's try and keep it that way for the duration of your stay. You worked hard to get here, don't take chances on missing the race or worse.

Most locals ride from the county pool or soccer fields up Makala (past where the Target and Sports Authority are) and onto the Queen K. That little section there has been the among the worst area for accidents. People aren't expecting cyclists (go figure) and some are rather resentful of the whole Ironman time of the year. Stay out of aero position until you're safely on the highway shoulders and ride single file as much as possible until clear of the area.

Heading North bound on the highway your first danger area is the turn to the transfer station and Police station. Cars will be merging into the right turn lane and the bike lane is on the left side of that lane. Sit up. After that you have Kealakehe Pkwy (opposite the harbor) which is the turn to the local high school and Civic Center now. From there you have a short ride to the turn by the Tesoro Station. There are two ways to handle this short set of streets; some folks go onto the shoulder after the harbor and then back to the left side where the Tesoro turn is. That's what the sign implies you should do as you pass Kealakehe. Others think more accidents happen crossing traffic and just stay on the left side of the right turn lane the whole way and let the cars that are impatient pass them off to the right. If you're in a group of riders do what the guy up front does. Don't split the group left and right as you'll end up tempting cars to go between you -- and they will.

If you're in a group, please be sensible and ride no more than two abreast (Hawaii law actually requires single file but that's another story), don't bunch up and creep out onto the highway -- you will get buzzed and you will get hurt.

After the airport you're fairly clear until the resorts.

Some distances:

Pool - Veteran's Cemetery/Kua Bay (Bum Crack Hill for the Aussies): 12 miles each way.

Pool- Scenic Overlook (This is barely on the descent to the resorts): 18 miles.

Pool - Waikoloa Resorts: Just under 50 miles round trip depending on how far you go into the resorts.

Pool - Kawaihae: This is a bit under 80 miles round trip.

Returning south bound the major areas of conflict with traffic are the road to the Mauna Lani, the Road to the Waikoloa Resorts, Kua Bay and more importantly the south Entrance to Kekahakai State Park (Makalawena). Cars aren't expecting you at that entrance, and it's a nice down hill where you'll likely be zipping along in aero. After that the Airport Rd is really bad as it has a protected acceleration lane for the south bound Queen K that you need to cross and cars will not look. Then the harbor.

If you haven't been here in a few years, pay attention to the change in the bike lane at the harbor. We no longer cross the right lane approaching the harbor turn (southbound), stay on the shoulder and cross the road there at the light. When you make the turn onto Makala from the south bound Queen K, you'll be in the shopping area, Sit up and use it as a cool down. Please.

There is a bike lane on Kuakini Between Palani and the 4-way stop sign at Kaiwi. This is an estremely narrow area though and cars must use part of the bike lane near the stop sign. These lanes were carved out of the traffic lane width, there was no expansion of real estate. Keep it single file through there and try not to creep towards the edge.

If you're heading down to Ali`i Drive beware there's no shoulder on Ali'i until you're around the Royal Kona or so. Also watch for runners when you're on the shoulder of Ali`i Drive. Oh and just for reference I've been trying to get a speeding ticket on my bike heading into town (Northbound on Ali'i heading down the hill by the Royal Kona) for years with no success. If you get one let me know!

The south bound "suicide" bike lanes. Yes they still sandwhich you between two lanes of speeding cars. They're supposed to be switching the bike lanes over to curbside, but haven't done so yet. Be extra careful riding here. Sit up and keep your head on a swivel. The side walk bteween Makala and Henery Street is considered a multi use pathway and bicycles are allowed. I personally no longer ride through that section of the Queen K unless I have to.

Finally, watch out for glass. There are a few locals who think it's funny to trash the shoulders prior to Ironman. The roads do get cleaned before everyone arrives and also for the race. But there will be glass and wire from shredded truck tires.

The Energy Lab: Signs will likely be up prohibiting bikes from being in there by the time you arrive. If they're not, don't ride in there anyway. There is no shoulder, cars drive very fast and there is a lot of traffic from the businesses and charter school. People have been hit and seriously hurt riding bikes along that road.

If this is your first trip to the world championship you owe it to yourself to go visit the energy lab. Drive to the bottom and take a look back up to the highway. The road isn't as steep as it looks. It's an optical illusion caused by the slope of the hills on the mauka (mountain) side of the highway that makes you think it's god awful steep. It's not flat either.

Running: Most local runners have ITBand issues from our rather concave shaped roads. I run on the Makai (ocean) side of the road all the time (there are also somewhat fewer roads intersecting the makai side of the Queen K or Ali`i Drive). Get used to people not following the convention on this, so please try and make room for them when you see them coming opposite direction -- don't force them out into traffic.

Also please pay attention to the traffic signals. I've watched athletes run down stopped lanes of cars that were trying to move, seen them step in front of moving vehicles during rush hour and all sorts of crazyness. To be blunt, nobody but you cares why you're in town. Don't risk the hard work by a momentary lapse in judgement.

Pier to Outrigger Keauhou Crosswalk (just past the Ali`i Drive turn around): 5 miles each way.
Pier to the entrance to the harbor (via Makala): Just under 3 miles
Pier to the Airport: 7 miles
Pier to the Energy Lab: 6 miles.

Misc Race Trivia:

The climb to Hawi from Mahukona isn't the steepest climb, it's just long at 7 miles (and windy. did I mention windy?). The climb from the resorts to Scenic overlook is steeper though shorter and the
last steep climb you'll have is at mile 99 from Kukhio to Vet's Cemetery -- very short (1 mile is all). From that point (Mile 100 on the bike roughly) you have 6 hills till you get back to T2. Some locals practice hill repeats on their bike on that hill so that it's not a shock during the race.

My personal hell section of the bike course is the climb from Kawaihae to Kawaihae Junction. It's hot, there's never a breath of wind, it's steep and you can see Bum Crack hill in the far distance. Fortunately it's also fairly short, 1 mile. Personally I'd rather climb the 7 miles to Hawi than do this climb. Seriously.

The road isn't truly closed during the race. If you're MOP or later don't be shocked to see a bus near you. They're shuttling volunteers. There is also limited road traffic early during the bike race as some areas are land locked from the race, these are usually workers at Kukhio and they should steer clear of the cyclists. Oh and watch out for the NBC camera crews .. we all know they don't always miss the cyclists!

If you're in the back 1/3 of the cyclists (been there done that), the police will start forcing cyclists over to the shoulder around Waikoloa Road until Waikoloa Beach Road (the resorts). You're supposed to be able to use the highway but it happens every year. They will also let traffic head southbound onto the highway from the resorts as well. Again be careful as the drivers will be speeding well in excess of 70 because the highway is "empty."

Chicken Soup: If you're mop or later runner, the high sodium lukewarm chicken soup is found at every run aid station out on the highway. It can be a godsend if you're behind on your electrolytes.

When you exit the energy lab on the run headed south bound you have 11K to go to the finish.

If you're finishing after dark, after you pass the hot corner (Kuakini and Palani Road) inbound turn right in FRONT of the Union 76 station (Hualalai Rd.). I've seen lots of runners make wrong turns over the years. It can be hard to tell where to turn late in the race.

Coffee: There a zillion Coffee farms in town, some have tours. Go see one. Or look up the Kona Historical Society, they run a 1940's style Coffee farm: The Kona Coffee Living History Farm.

Coffee shops: The Starbucks in town are both small and both on Henry Street. One is on Henry and Kuakini, the other up opposite Safeway. There's also a coffee shop right by the pier (Menehune), the old large Starbucks is now occupied by Kona Coffee and Tea (quite good and room for bikes) and of course there's Lava Java and Hugo's on the rocks.

Pauline's Bakery opened a spot in the Banyon Shops very near the pier. Good coffee, great baked goods and a good breakfast.

Groceries: KTA is a local chain and has Hawaii Island Grass Fed Beef -- it's labeled that way if you're a beef eater and interested. Sack n Save is part of the Foodland Chain in Hawaii and Safeway is Safeway. Island Naturals in Old Industrial is the only natural food store in town now (the other closed)

Restaurants: The best restaurant is someone's house. Other than that Krua has good Thai. Lava Java has good most everything. Kona Inn has a great view and their Thai Lemongrass soup was great but rarely offered now.

Bicycle Shops: There are really two in town: Bike Works and Cycle Station. Bike Works carries Cervelo and Specialized. Cycle Station is the Trek & Scott Dealer. Find one that you can work with. Either one will work on your bike no matter the make.

Bike Works: 808-326-2453

Cycle Station: 808-327-0087

Last minute goggles etc: The owners of Unison, in the Banyon Shops very near the pier, open the shop up extremely early on race morning. If you find your self in need of goggles or something similar on race morning, stop in there and make it known you're a desperate athlete and they'll get you take care of and on your way.

Feel free to add on or ask questions. Aloha.

Be safe, race hard, have fun.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 2, 15 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff as always. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope when I qualify in my 60s that you are still posting....

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips. I'll be playing Sherpa for my wife and she'll be BOP by Kona standards. Any other suggestions for spectating the run? Will I be able to run around and catch her at several spots if I'm willing to put some miles in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent!!

This post alone, makes me want to go back, again. #seewhatididthere

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [tri_atl12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what my wife did the last two years to spectate the run.

Remember the first 10 miles is basically an out and back along Ali'i Drive. She stationed herself near Lava Java and saw me on the way out and then on the way back. After that it's a lonely 16 miles of so on the Queen K and the Energy Lab.

For the finish she stationed herself at the bottom of Palani and was able to see me make the turn off Palani. Then there's a small alley way from there down to Ali'i Dr. She had plenty of time to walk down the alley and get a good spot on Ali'i for the finish.

It worked out really well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [tri_atl12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_atl12 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips. I'll be playing Sherpa for my wife and she'll be BOP by Kona standards. Any other suggestions for spectating the run? Will I be able to run around and catch her at several spots if I'm willing to put some miles in?

logella had a good idea and I can add a couple. The Run turn around is failry accesible. Drive south on the Queen K into keauhou, at the top of theill is the Kam III (Kamehameha III road) head down that to Ali'i drive (second stop light), turn righ and follow Alii north a bit and find a place to park. The turn around is near the old Outrigger beach Resort (closed in 2013).

The Energy lab is accessible as is the best aid station (the one run by Costco). Take the upper highway heading north if you're coming from town (turn onto Henry heading away from the sea). Follow that up to Hina Lani and then down towards the end for the Costco aid station. Otherwise go to Kaiminani and head towards the ocean. Follow that down and then turn onto the Queen K (The only works well after the bike cutoff and usually not until dark). find a place to park and walk to the Energy lab exit.

The Hot corner is a good place to watch for them to come in as well. That's the corner of Kuakini and Palani. The old hot corner, Hualalai and Ali'i is 800 meters from the finish line. great spot to watch the leading pro's come in.

Bike: The bike turn around is accessible if crowded. You need to get onto the upper highway (the Mamalahoa) to Waimea/Kamuela (it's name is Waimea, maps often label it by the post office name). Then follow the back roads, or the Ultraman World Champions route if you will, to Hawi town. park and walk. It's also possible to get to and from the Resorts and watch there BUT I do not recommend it for the impatient or feint of heart, to say you will have extensive delays is an understatement.

Swim: get there early. early early. Along the walls, Bubba Gump's has a buffet breakfast. volunteer on the swim course. ;) etc.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thanks for all of this. Seems like a gold mine of good info!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [tonyalta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure i'll ever get to race in Kona, but I love reading this each year...helps you dream
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll never make the IM World Championships, but I did finish 12 OA at the PeaMan SplishSplash Biathlon this year. While we were there we did the more or less the whole IM course split up over several days. Still fun to reminisce on posts like this. We found the entire bike-route to be very accommodating and didn't have any trouble with traffic.

And yes, I tell anyone who will listen that I finished 12th OA in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside Ironman time it's just a few bad apples making life bad upon occasion for cyclists. During IMWC time though tempers flare a bit as athletes are crowding the town and on edge with their big race coming up and a few more people just want it to be over.

If everyone, athletes and locals, have a bit more aloha in mind, things will go much better for everyone. And for the vast majority they do. Just a few folks need to be reminded "It's Hawaii, we do things different here."

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 3, 15 20:38
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [rferic18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to tell people to get in on the lottery. You have zero chance if you don't. With all the mess regarding that though, I have no clue if it'll return next year. I certainly hope so. It's a great way to get here. And honestly how you get here doesn't matter, it's what you do with it once you're here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IS the old Kava bar still around Lava Java? If not, have they moved or did another take its place? Used to have some fun sunset storyfests with PT and others there back in the day. Once I got used to my lips being numb of course..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know they are. I'll stop by tomorrow and find out. Haven't been there in awhile and apparently research is necessary. I'll let you know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If everyone, athletes and locals, have a bit more aloha in mind, things will go much better for everyone. And for the vast majority they do. Just a few folks need to be reminded "It's Hawaii, we do things different here."

Boom!

A must read for all visiting Kona during race week.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to tell people to get in on the lottery. You have zero chance if you don't. With all the mess regarding that though, I have no clue if it'll return next year. I certainly hope so. It's a great way to get here. And honestly how you get here doesn't matter, it's what you do with it once you're here.

Kona/Kailua is a great place to visit ANY time. Sure it would be great to qualify for Ironman Hawaii, but at the risk of stating the obvious, you can go any time you like. The swimming/cycling/running will be just as awesome.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Kona/Kailua is a great place to visit ANY time. Sure it would be great to qualify for Ironman Hawaii, but at the risk of stating the obvious, you can go any time you like. The swimming/cycling/running will be just as awesome.

This is what my wife says all the time. Sorry, can't do it. HEHE Fortunately I'm going to race again next year so it we'll get another great Hawaiian vacation.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

This! Had my honeymoon on the big island while training for LA Marathon and had amazing runs on that road inspired by Ironman event. This was ten years ago and I little imagined then I'd venture into multisport - 70.3 next and knowing me the full will beckon to me. It would be smashing to get in on lottery and make it a second honeymoon but with the two new additions (3 & 8 year old daughters).

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hawaii Public Radio had a piece on our miserably hot humid summer. It's Oahucentric, if course. But. Ugh.

http://hpr2.org/...last-winter#stream/0

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 7, 15 21:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the topic of roads - how bad is the flood damage to Kuakini Hwy? Any other problems in Kona related to the flash floods? I would guess that the water is still murky from all the runoff.

I also noticed that there was a 'ceremonial' launch for the Queen K roadwork last week. Not sure how that translates into the start of actual construction but that could be a mess.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And still on the topic of roads....

I'm staying about 3km south on Ali'i Drive...what are the logistics of driving to the pier for morning swim practice? Crazy as in no parking or fine?

And for race day morning....what would you recommend as the best way to get from Kona Isle to the start?

This has been a very helpful thread, thank you for all the input!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
And still on the topic of roads....

I'm staying about 3km south on Ali'i Drive...what are the logistics of driving to the pier for morning swim practice? Crazy as in no parking or fine?

And for race day morning....what would you recommend as the best way to get from Kona Isle to the start?

This has been a very helpful thread, thank you for all the input!

Prior to race day the drive is fairly quick, if occasionally annoying by our standards. There's a county parking lot behind the Banyon Court mall that will fill quickly Ironman week. other parking is at the King Kam hotel ($) or up by the pool or in one of the shopping centers and walk. Or you can walk Ali`i Drive. Do NOT park along Kuakini on the road down slope from Firestone etc (you will get ticketed).

For Race day morning You might want to have someone drive you the wrong way to Keauhou along Ali'i drive then up to the Queen K. North to Henry Street, down Henry St. to the first real right turn and into that shopping center. Park and walk from there. You're close enough that you might be able to drive along Ali'i for a bit on race morning. And walk from where the make you get dropped off.

Use the bag check services by the pier later in the week race week. Too many thieves around otherwise.

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 9, 15 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overdistance wrote:
On the topic of roads - how bad is the flood damage to Kuakini Hwy? Any other problems in Kona related to the flash floods? I would guess that the water is still murky from all the runoff.

I also noticed that there was a 'ceremonial' launch for the Queen K roadwork last week. Not sure how that translates into the start of actual construction but that could be a mess.

Flood damage is very minor really and it's been sunshine the last two days. Kuakini is fine so nothing to worry about there.

Highway widening: It's so late in the game that they're not going to be able to tear up the highway in time for the race even if they start today. There are two lanes of traffic total in that area. before they can tear up the existing lanes, they'll need to add in another lane. That won't happen in time for the big dance. If they start construction, it'll be off the road so keep an eye out during training runs and rides.

Visibility: by our standards it's the pits. By the real world standards visibility is decent and improving daily.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Box jelly fish Schedule.

Box jellfish show up (mainly along Waikiki but can be anywhere) around a week after the full moon. That means the Tuesday or Wednesday of Ironman week are the most likely times to see them at Digme beach (Kaiakeakua beach is it's real name). Look on the shore early in the morning. If they're around you'll see them on the beach often times. Not usually a big problem here but you can always ask.

http://www.to-hawaii.com/jellyfishcalendar.html

http://www.waikikiaquarium.org/box-jellyfish-calendar/

if you get stung. let the people at the info booth know. They can help. get back in the salt water to wash any stingers off (in the salt water not fresh water) and have someone douse your wounded area with distilled vinegar. You'll be fine for race day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tides:

Low tide on race morning is at 8:19 am (+.3) heading to high tide after 2pm. You all should be out of the water by high tide. ;)

Quote Reply

Prev Next