Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The winds last year were around 40 nautical miles per hour straight down the road. Unless you were an elite age grouper they shifted on you as well and you had 25+ knots on the nose on the way back. Horrid day.

It's that mid morning wind shift that can really do a number on those further back in the race. For the Pros and the front end of the AG race, typically it's been reasonably calm most of the way out to Hawi - but as the morning goes on the wind picks up and depending on the day, be blowing either partly or fully in your face on the way out and the way back!! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday's weather along Alii Drive.

https://www.facebook.com/...eos/928939750474621/

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a picture of the bay after Tuesday's runoff. Brown water right now. Still loads of time till race day. 100 year flood conditions can't last that long. I think.

photo by Kawika Singson. He's on Facebook if you'd like to see his work.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here's what it usually looks like.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuesday night SUP boarding on Alii Drive in front of the Fishopper. Literally across the street from the pier.

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 17, 15 23:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering I've seen Lake Michigan go from churned up to almost crystal clear in 24-48 hours, once the run off from the streams stops, it will clear up quickly.

The "murky" bay is still 3x more clear than any race I've ever done. :) I can still see the bottom from aerial photos. Try that at Racine and Steelehead. At Des Moines tri, you could see the bottom where the water was 3" deep.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the worst I've seen the bay ever.

It will clear up, but we need to stop the runoff first. Our soil is do water logged atm that it cannot handle any more water and everything runs off right now. That water isn't just muddy, it's laden with chemicals and worse right now.

But there's still a lot of time before race day. Yesterday afternoon only featured moderate rainfall for a change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been on island for a few days, Kona is having historic flooding, we had a tsunami from Chile heading our way(petered out) and it is windy at 6am every morning and hitting the mid 90's everyday thus far. Been glad to be out of town for these few days at least.

May have missed this, but when does the swim out coffee bar usually get going? And how far out will it be set up this year?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brown water update:

Things look much better this morning (Sunday 20Sept2015). The water is still rather murky but it no longer looks brown. And at hide tide this morning near the pier you can almost sort of see the bottom.

If we get an extended dry spell so the ground dries out, things will get back to normal soon.

fair number of age groupers in the ocean today. the county pool is more crowded than normal for the approach to Ironman due to the water conditions as well. Things are looking up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those pics above are pretty wild, to be sure. Hoping it does get better for everyone racing this year, as well as for the locals as this can't be fun for anyone.

It's been a few years since I've been in Kona, and reading this thread brings all the memories flooding back. You're a good person for posting this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brown water Update #2:

We had another night of very heavy rain, around 2"/hr (almost 51 mm per hour). At the present time the bay is brown very murky and smells quite bad. There are reports of bacterial infections among some who have been swimming. I know of one confirmed case.

If you're here and considering an ocean swim: be careful before you put your body in that thing for the time being. Here are some possible alternatives:

1. Hapuna Beach State Park. About an hour north on the Queen K. Normally the nicest beach on this side of the island. This is where Ironman 70.3 Hawaii, aka Honu, starts. Swimming from one end to another is almost exactly 1/2 mile. Check before heading up there as I have no clue if it's as bad as town. Ask the lifeguards when you arrive if there's any doubt.

2. A-Bay: The beach behind the resorts at Waikoloa. 40 minutes north of town. The location of the Lavaman Triathlon. Make a left just past the Queen's shops and into the parking lots down by the beach. This water is normally fairly murky as well.

3. Kona Aquatic Center. The county pool. It's crowded, I was waiting at 6;30 am for a lane. People will share though. 6:15 - 7pm M-f (master practice takes up many lanes M-T-F. 8:15-11:45 Sa/Sun and 1-5pm Sa/Sun.

4. Konawaena Pool. Down at the high school south of town. Open to the public, it is cooler than the Kona Aquatic Center Pool. 10:30 to 1:15 pm and 4 to 5:30 pm M-F only! 11-3 Saturday and Sunday.

5. Two-Step: Just outside the national park is a snorkeling area most call 2 Step. You'll see why when you get there. head south and follow the signs to Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Park. Swing into the access road just before the park or pay the money, park inside the park and walk back.

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 23, 15 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in town, Team Mango Races will be holding their pre-ironman triathlon this Sunday, 9/27, at 7 am at the pier.

The race is a 1.2 mile swim (King's Buoy and back), 15 mile bike ride and a 6 mile run. Registration starts at 5;30 for non club members. usually a small donation is necessary for the race to help offset costs. The guy in charge of these things looses money every race, lets try not to make it too much. ;)

Details at:

http://teammangoraces.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman World Championship 2015: swim 2.4, bike 80, swim 58.2.

Yes it's wet here this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO a dry type wax lube is probably not the best option?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Sep 26, 15 5:17
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I think the race is going to be dry. There may be rain spots in it but the bike ride, I'd bet on hot humid and no lengthy rain squalls.

Brown water Update: the bay is clearing out nicely. We're being threatened with another hour if rain toot row from a tropical depression but if we don't get a deluge things are improving seeing wise. UK going to go try a swim Minday morning myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just swam at the waikoloa and hapuna areas and they are fine. This is about the only area that has not gotten the big rains, but it looks like today that might all change. Looking at the rain maps, the entire island looks to be hit tomorrow, and flooding will be pretty bad in many areas. Probably the bay will be bad again for a few days, but still time for it to clear up before race time.

And the winds have been pretty brutal very early in the mornings. I get up at 6 am and the trees are blowing, today about 25 to 30mph. I watched a few bikers coming home yesterday barley moving on the flats, but that of course changes day to day too.

If the race were this weekend, not sure what they would do. Would be really bad to cancel the Hawaiian ironman swim, and then shorten the bike and run to 40k and 10k, but that seems to be the response lately to foul weather. I guess not much different from ITU athletes doing duathlons and being crowned triathlon champions i guess. I say RUN IT!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:

1. Hapuna Beach State Park. About an hour north on the Queen K. Normally the nicest beach on this side of the island. This is where Ironman 70.3 Hawaii, aka Honu, starts. Swimming from one end to another is almost exactly 1/2 mile. Check before heading up there as I have no clue if it's as bad as town. Ask the lifeguards when you arrive if there's any doubt.

It's .76mi for a down and back, so .38mi one way at Hapuna. Swam there this week and the water is perfect, although pretty warm.

Just got back from a Queen K ride, winds around the Waikoloa hotels and going up Hawi hill were pretty stiff (40-50mph gusts?). Good fun!

Thanks for the Aloha KonaCoffee!
Last edited by: 808nation: Sep 26, 15 22:04
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [808nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winds at Kawaihae this morning were 40mph steady. That's a lot.

Warm water might be the cause of this unusual weather pattern. It's warmer than normal for this time of the year.

Good to know on the distance. I usually start the swim at the extreme south end and swim into the little cove just below the Mauna Kea. And sometimes I run back a,one the beach, was rinse repeat.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The winds last year were around 40 nautical miles per hour straight down the road. Unless you were an elite age grouper they shifted on you as well and you had 25+ knots on the nose on the way back. Horrid day.

It's that mid morning wind shift that can really do a number on those further back in the race. For the Pros and the front end of the AG race, typically it's been reasonably calm most of the way out to Hawi - but as the morning goes on the wind picks up and depending on the day, be blowing either partly or fully in your face on the way out and the way back!! :)

Is there a best time to do training rides without the epic winds? Say a one from Kona to Hawi or vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally it's calmer in the early morning with the winds building in the mid to late morning.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 28, 15 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
February. No seriously what Mr. Fleck said.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
February. No seriously what Mr. Fleck said.

Is it okay if I settle for March 21?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pool is open!

Clear water, 100 foot+ viz, warmer than normal. Temporary swim buoys are up. Enjoy.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Kona Survival Guide [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stayed at the Kona Isle several times. My wife has always driven me down towards the race as far as they will allow, then I walk the last couple blocks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next