Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
m.a.burghart wrote:
I heard that this year's Kansas race had too many men in speedos on the podium, so they are considering an alternate race site to discourage that non-sense

I have no problem with speedos.

I do not now, nor have I ever, understood the half-shirt thing. To me (emphasize this is just MY opinion), the half-shirt looks one thousand times more stupid than a speedo.

can someone explain what is the FUNCTION of the half shirt? Or is it simply another example of fashion that goes over my head?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [shikailun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They hosted a 70.3 out there this year with an attendance of 116 (an ultramax event which included a half, oly, sprint, aqua bike). IMO ultramax is going to drive Innsbrook into the ground. I thought the bike course was poorly designed and the run was brutal as usual. There are not a ton of hotel options close to Innsbrook, so I don't see this being an option for WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jph437 wrote:
They hosted a 70.3 out there this year with an attendance of 116 (an ultramax event which included a half, oly, sprint, aqua bike). IMO ultramax is going to drive Innsbrook into the ground. I thought the bike course was poorly designed and the run was brutal as usual. There are not a ton of hotel options close to Innsbrook, so I don't see this being an option for WTC.
I think Innsbruck is a great location for triathlon. You won't find a better lake in all of the St. Louis area to swim in. Unfortunately it suffers from the same fate as Branson. Too hard (the run)! If they are going for numbers then Creve Couer lake and a bike and run in the river bottoms will make for an easy half. Then again, they could take it out Olive to Wild Horse to Babler and St. Albans for a challenge ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jph437 wrote:
I think Innsbruck is a great location for triathlon. You won't find a better lake in all of the St. Louis area to swim in. Unfortunately it suffers from the same fate as Branson. Too hard (the run)!

I did all three 70.3 Branson and the run was dead flat the whole way. The bike was hard, but the run was easy...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Border Wars Tri in Alton a few weeks ago as part of a relay and FLAT may be an understatement. According to my Garmin, I had a total elevation gain of 310 feet for the 56 mile bike and most of that was going over the Mississippi river bridge into Alton.

The run course was on top of the levee so it was pretty pancake flat as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [huskertko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huskertko wrote:
I did the Border Wars Tri in Alton a few weeks ago .

How was this event?

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
jph437 wrote:
I think Innsbruck is a great location for triathlon. You won't find a better lake in all of the St. Louis area to swim in. Unfortunately it suffers from the same fate as Branson. Too hard (the run)!

I did all three 70.3 Branson and the run was dead flat the whole way. The bike was hard, but the run was easy...

x2 on the Branson run course. I did the 70.3 in 2010 and 2012. Run was pancake flat both times, but it was unbearably hot in 2010. 2012 was much better with temps in the upper 70's.

Got word from Rev3 that they (and the newly minted Challenge series) will not return to Branson in 2015. Any word on other organizers stepping up to host a race in Branson?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a first time event, it was very well organized, I thought. There are a couple logistically things, the swim is in a location that without a mile or so walk, is inaccessible to spectators, which is kinda bad. The swim was in a slough of the river, and was really low on Saturday, and water temp was 72, but by Sunday the level was up a little, there were people still walking the swim on the backside of the loop, but the temp had dropped from 72 to 58, quite a shock.

Like I said the bike couse is FLAT, but the roads were nice, the turns were very well marked by paint and volunteer. While most of the roads weren't closed, the general public was pretty accomodating to the race, with a couple of exceptions.

The run from what my wife said was again dead flat along the levee, with a few hills up and down off the levee. Her biggest complaints were, a couple aid stations ran out of water, and the other was that it wa a very "lonely" run. Being on the levee, there were virtually no spectators so aside from other runners, not much encouragements.

The finish area was nice in the fact it was in a park with an ampitheater, I think that having a large centralized tent for spectators/athlete would have been nice. There were a lot of clubs and teams that had tents up as well. They would be well served to get another timing mat further down the finishing chute so they had a better idea of who was finishing, they tried to announce names from bib numbers but not the greatest success.

Post race food was good, BBQ, but being from KC it's hard to top hometown BBQ.

Overall, I thought it was a good race, and the public support was great. Work out a few kinks and this could be a really nice race. We plan on going back next year.

The real X factor will be the weather, the first week in October is iffy in this region. Saturday it windy, gusting to 30mph from the north, wind chill felt like the 30s, but Sunday was awesome. 50s at the start, 60s finishing, with very little wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
huskertko wrote:
For a first time event, it was very well organized, I thought. There are a couple logistically things, the swim is in a location that without a mile or so walk, is inaccessible to spectators, which is kinda bad. The swim was in a slough of the river, and was really low on Saturday, and water temp was 72, but by Sunday the level was up a little, there were people still walking the swim on the backside of the loop, but the temp had dropped from 72 to 58, quite a shock.

Like I said the bike couse is FLAT, but the roads were nice, the turns were very well marked by paint and volunteer. While most of the roads weren't closed, the general public was pretty accomodating to the race, with a couple of exceptions.

The run from what my wife said was again dead flat along the levee, with a few hills up and down off the levee. Her biggest complaints were, a couple aid stations ran out of water, and the other was that it wa a very "lonely" run. Being on the levee, there were virtually no spectators so aside from other runners, not much encouragements.

The finish area was nice in the fact it was in a park with an ampitheater, I think that having a large centralized tent for spectators/athlete would have been nice. There were a lot of clubs and teams that had tents up as well. They would be well served to get another timing mat further down the finishing chute so they had a better idea of who was finishing, they tried to announce names from bib numbers but not the greatest success.

Overall, I thought it was a good race, and the public support was great. Work out a few kinks and this could be a really nice race. We plan on going back next year.

The real X factor will be the weather, the first week in October is iffy in this region. Saturday it windy, gusting to 30mph from the north, wind chill felt like the 30s, but Sunday was awesome. 50s at the start, 60s finishing, with very little wind.

Cool. Thanks for your time in writing this.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
huskertko wrote:

I did this event too, and this review is pretty dead on. I personally thought it was great, and it seemed the RD was really trying to focus on the athletes and pay attention to detail. What I take from this is that I am pretty confident that some of the "issues" that occurred will be specifically addressed. I've been to many events where the RD doesn't seem to care too much and seems to cut corners. Not so with RMP (and I had no experience with them before). My other 70.3 experience is with PEM in NOLA and this race was easily as well run at NOLA, probably better. (That's not saying NOLA was bad in any way....just trying to relay the quality of the event).
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed Branson in 2012. The run was flat but I enjoyed the route through The Landing. Best bike course I have ever done for a 70.3. I don't see it returning, but I would go back if it did.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They would close page ave and ride - in part - on it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [slowfatguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Branson the first year it was held and again last year when it was Rev3.

Such a perfect race location and course. The bike is killer, but how often do you get to roll on a closed 4 lane highway?

Fantastic place for a race and a little family vacation for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word going around is: The race will happen in 2015. It will replace Kansas. If you look at the Kansas 70.3 web page, you'll notice a lack of date and a lack of ability to sign up, there is a reason for this: Kansas is done. The swim will be at CC Park. The bike is not set yet, but will probably remain in one "county". The reason to remain in one county is that you don't want to inflict the traffic "pain" on neighboring communities, when they aren't benefiting from any of the revenue generate by the race. The run will most likely be around the park on the outer loop.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [mfisch69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfisch69 wrote:
Word going around is: The race will happen in 2015. It will replace Kansas. If you look at the Kansas 70.3 web page, you'll notice a lack of date and a lack of ability to sign up, there is a reason for this: Kansas is done. The swim will be at CC Park. The bike is not set yet, but will probably remain in one "county". The reason to remain in one county is that you don't want to inflict the traffic "pain" on neighboring communities, when they aren't benefiting from any of the revenue generate by the race. The run will most likely be around the park on the outer loop.

Any word on the time frame? Still early June?

For me St. Louis doubles my drive time, but I'd be willing to check it out if it were in the fall. I can only do Redman so many times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's this area/course potentially going to look like? Not so much in terms of course difficulty, but scenery. In other words, am I more likely to be biking up a paved, tree-lined highway or a chip sealed county road, industrial park?
I get the desire to tap the StL market but I fear course surroundings would be sacrificed compared to Clinton Lake/NE KS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clarification:

Branson - too hard of a bike.
Innsbruck - too hard of a run.

I did all three Bransons and all three Innsbrucks. They both have to rate right up there with the toughest 70.3s in the nation. That is why they didn't survive (jury is out on Innsbruck's resurrection).

For the new STL 70.3 to be successful they will need to stay away from the bluffs for both the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's at CC Lake, the run can just be around the lake. The full loop (5.5 miles or so I think) is flat and mostly shaded. Part of it is gravel and in complete shade through the woods. It is your typical "narrow" two lane bike path, but I guess that would be wide enough. Would be a very nice run for sure.

Not sure about where the bike would go, but I'd bet you could avoid the bluff pretty easily.
Last edited by: TriWithT1: Oct 21, 14 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mfisch69 wrote:

Just speculate...Where do you thik the bike course should go?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love if the timing worked out where I could do the new St. Louis one and also Muncie 70.3 and then cap it off with IMLOU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard it will be a point to point with two transition areas. T2 will be in Ferguson.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aaaaaaand there it is. I was going to suggest an out and back to Ferguson, but resisted. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kansas 70.3 was my favorite race, great atmosphere, honest course, good feel, and always well run. But i guess the fatties could not handle the "hills", "wind", and "heat" and St Louis is the obvious next choice for a new 70.3. So glad i just road race now and don't care too much about Tri's because if this is true that is really sad. Branson and Kansas were two of my favorite courses and one is gone and the other appears on the way out. Guess BSLT and Tahoe better watch out, they are the only real courses left inside the US.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [slowfatguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowfatguy wrote:
I really enjoyed Branson in 2012. The run was flat but I enjoyed the route through The Landing. Best bike course I have ever done for a 70.3. I don't see it returning, but I would go back if it did.

Yes, I enjoyed it, too. Once I learned from my bike leg mistake in 2010 (went too fast), I came back in 2012 and rode conservatively. Really loved that bike course! I ended up improving on my overall time by 12 minutes. I sure wish they would bring this back to Branson. The three loop run around Branson Landing was ideal from a spectator point of view.

Why won't Ironman sponsor Branson again? Rev3 said they are not doing Branson in 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Ironman 70.3 - St. Louis [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my understanding is that it would be the same weekend when Kansas would have been. just basically swapping STL in for Kan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next