Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
28 Dec - 14/14 and going steady [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I know we're still a week away from the unofficial start of this challenge but I'm still quite happy that I've managed to go 14 for 14 so far since the beginning of this challenge. Neither my time nor my distance is anywhere near the big dogs in this challenge but I'll take it.
I upped the runs to 40 mins for week two. For week three I'm debating between adding another 5 mins to each run or to try doubling up my runs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So on March 8th, It would seem that could start a run at 1:29 am. Run for 30 minutes, then take a 1 minute break, and run another 30 minutes. Since March 8 is the start of daylight savings time, there would be 1 hour separating times right? This would count as 2 runs then, right?

It was inevitable that this question would come up. I just wanted to be ahead of the curve.
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Whitenose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 mins on the dreadmill 3.30 miles. Was a tough brick run after a cold and windy 80 mile ride in NorCal.
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
30 mins on the dreadmill 3.30 miles. Was a tough brick run after a cold and windy 80 mile ride in NorCal.

Don't even think about ever using the words "cold and windy" and NorCal in the same sentence around here ever again! We just had our first day above freezing in, I would guess about 6 or 7 weeks.

Kudos on the 80 mile ride though!
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12.5 mi on a really rocky, steep trail in AZ with 115intheShade and desert dude. It was a delightful run - such a cool trail!!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Whitenose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to find out when they have a time change somwhere near China which is 13 hours off EST. Then I can do a run on mid day the day those guys change their time, and break it up by a minute when they do their 1 hour time change and I can take credit for 2 runs.

OK, the rules have been outsmarted....if you do that run on march 9th at 1:29 am and start another one at 3:00 AM, I guess it will have to count for 2 runs, since this is the only day of the year when 1 minute gets elongated to 61 minutes....but heck, why not go all out and run only 61 minutes as measured by Greenwich Mean Time (the only time that really counts anyway, cause the Brits think they are the centre of the universe, hanging on to the past glory of an Empire where the sun never set....) and claim a 121 minute run in your log and tell your coach you did a 2 hour run :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of weird ways to interpret the rules.... I've got a question about counting a second run in one day (Sorry if this has already been covered):

In the rules you state that you can count two runs if they are each 30 minutes or greater and separated by at least 1 hour in between; run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-nap-run, etc. What about run-run-run? The reason I ask is that the wife is trying to get me to do a Half Mary at the end of Jan and it would be nice to count those 2 hours of continuous running as two 30 minute runs with a 1 hour running break in between.

It occurs to me that I shouldn't even be asking, but I figure if I count it that way, everyone else should be able to as well. Yes, that would mean all the 5 hour marathoners could count 4 runs for the day... not there there are any of those around here.. just sayin' ;)

Thoughts?

~Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I want to find out when they have a time change somwhere near China which is 13 hours off EST. Then I can do a run on mid day the day those guys change their time, and break it up by a minute when they do their 1 hour time change and I can take credit for 2 runs.

OK, the rules have been outsmarted....if you do that run on march 9th at 1:29 am and start another one at 3:00 AM, I guess it will have to count for 2 runs, since this is the only day of the year when 1 minute gets elongated to 61 minutes....but heck, why not go all out and run only 61 minutes as measured by Greenwich Mean Time (the only time that really counts anyway, cause the Brits think they are the centre of the universe, hanging on to the past glory of an Empire where the sun never set....) and claim a 121 minute run in your log and tell your coach you did a 2 hour run :-)
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What trail?

I think I'm going to have to do South Mountain a few times this week.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Mekrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the rules you state that you can count two runs if they are each 30 minutes or greater and separated by at least 1 hour in between; run-swim-run, run-bike-run, run-nap-run, etc. What about run-run-run? The reason I ask is that the wife is trying to get me to do a Half Mary at the end of Jan and it would be nice to count those 2 hours of continuous running as two 30 minute runs with a 1 hour running break in between.

Hmmm! that's not gonna wash. I think your 13.1 with your is going to be one solid run!

I had my first goose egg on Saturday; rode way too hard with the fellas - 4 hours, too many hills and cold (for LA) sucked a bit more out of me. I ran twice today and still have a few banked but I hate to loose a day.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tigerchik, we have not heard from desert dude in a while. Are you crushing dreams in the southwest?
Quote Reply
trail [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phone Line

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Tigerchik, we have not heard from desert dude in a while. Are you crushing dreams in the southwest?

Well... he's not used to having kids around... I think I'm tiring him out. Between training, sleeping, and scheming how he can out swim me I don't think he's had much time to post on ST.

Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Mekrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No you can't count em as multiple runs...that's why we have time and distance standings so you can get credit for runs longer than 30 minutes. The way I look at it, 30 minutes is a carrot to get you out the door or tack on a transition run, but nothing wrong with your "bread and butter" usual running program that will be the core of how you generate miles through runs that are generally longer than 30 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fell off pace a little last week with christmas and my brother leaving for London. 10/15 now with a 4 miler this morning.

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I can reach platinum. I will try though but more realistically I will try for 95 out of 100.

Took Saturday day off. Unplanned but probably needed. Ended up playing ultimate 4 square with my son and his friends for over an hour. Not much of a rest day then :) my glutes were sore from all that lunging about.

Ran a pretty solid 14.6 miler on Sunday. What a luxury it is running at 9AM. On the weekends I am used to running at 6AM if not earlier.

I will try to squeeze a double day in there but it is hard to do once I start bike commuting and swimming again.

Keep running

-Woody
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so far I have been one run behind you. I banked one early, but no days off yet. Today was 38 and rainy so only ran 30 minutes. Will probably run again tonight and bank this one.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [Scott Rigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brown's Valley Out & Back: 5.34 Miles @ 8.02 Pace

Was a nice day to run, slightly crisp with the sun out and not much wind. After swimming this morning, I was feeling pretty well warmed up so jumped out to do the 1st of my 2 runs today. I changed my display to only show distance, time, HR, and cadence. This way I could focus on sub-150 HR with a cadence of over 85. Mission Accomplished (147 Ave). MB
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [ejohns3992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on ya EJ! I just walk in from my last run here at "The Ranch" (family holiday spot near Point Conception in Central California). We're leaving tonight to go back to Los Angeles. It's hot here today for the first time a week. I think it's in the upper 60s or even low 70s with full-on sun and no wind. I ran in shorts and visor - no socks, no shirt, HEAVEN!!

I had a psuedo-Pamplona experience on my run today: going up one of the narrow canyons on this one-lane, dirt road and there was a heard of about 28 cows and calves. Then start running up the canyon to get away from me. A few would pull off to the side and stop - then when I was up on them again they'd start to run. They move pretty slowly and this went on for ~1800m so about half way through I was running in the middle of the pack with them on all sides. At one point I looked over and there was one bull in the mix just five feet from me - I'm not sure how I missed him before as he's so much thicker and has a totally different aura and attitude then the cows and calves. He didn't have horns so I figured I'd just keep on steady and see what happens. I had to merge right to take this trail up the hill side and they all intended on staying flat on the road so I kida had to easy over and pick my way through - not too unlike a crit!

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite Pamplona nor 100/100, but you can imagine my surprise when I was descending the Col de Galibier in 2007 and came around a switchback blind corner and had to slam the brakes on account of this herd taking up the ENTIRE ROAD:

Quote Reply
greetings from Tucson [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We ran 40 min easy this morning, then rode Mt. Lemmon! A swim is planned for later, an evening swim, under STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I need work to start again to bank double days....
So true, same here ! It's amazing how I have organised my training around work & family life. Remove one and the balance is lost. Since I'm on holidays I have managed to alternate running days and cycling days, but it's hard to do a second bout of training per day and not feel guilty or be busy doing plenty other (very interesting things) like spending quality time with the family. No regret at all there, au contraire, but I just witness the change and this challenge helps to reflect on the big picture. When I'm working, it's very easy to go out and run to work; then in the evening, no alternative but to run back home (I would take the bus, but I would hate it ;): presto two runs in the bag. But now, why going for a run (again !) in the evening when it's dark and cold and all the family gather to discuss or play together? I guess I will need most of January to catch up with doubles. No worry: I enjoy my time now, and my new (temporary) balance family-training. Maybe it's juggling again with the family - work - training rhythm which will feel weird ... How many things you learn by counting your runs (but not worry too much about it :).

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: December 26 [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubled up runs today. Heavy stetching b4 and after. Going to keep on trying to double up for a few days so I have a few in bank. Think I am going to slow one of the runs a day so I dont go anarobic. Need to burn a little fat.

Re: December 26 [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I don't do double runs when I have the flexibility of days off when I might to one larger block of training in a day, but not a second workout requiring shower etc
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs in 100 days 2008-2009 Official Thread with Rules, Questions and Smacktalk [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I'm back from 2 amazing weeks of cycling in Cuba (1000km in 11days on my mtn bike with paniers and rough roads) and am now signed up for the 100 runs challenge. Managed to sneak in 2runs at the end of the cycling trip while staying at a beach resort. I ran in my commuter cycling shoes - not recommended but I needed to get a start on the 100 runs challenge that started 2 weeks ago!

Last year I did the bronze so this year I'm going to commit to the Silver and have a stretch objective of the Gold.

I attribute my amazing year of running in 2008 to this challenge (I set a PB in pretty much every run distance whether a running race or triathlon run split including a 25min PB in a marathon) so anyone who is still dithering get out there in run, you will be amazed at the results!
Quote Reply

Prev Next