Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
likes_bikes wrote:

The bad news/bad news is that its still Flo.

I sent them another angry email. Logged in this morning to catch the race and am immediately greeted with a big "Isaac Del Toro takes the win!". Doesn't matter whether it's on the website or my Roku app, you can't watch a race replay without spoilers. Complained last year too but they don't seem to care.

Great move by Del Toro. Looked good in the crit on the weekend, and super strong/tactically savvy today. Solid overall package. UAE with a wealth of young talent these days.

trail wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

I sent them another angry email.

I think they enjoy ragemail. There's a fetish thing going on over there.

Sorry to hear of the travails.

What Flo really enjoys is figuratively pissing on its customers out of spite, and it's not shy about its weird practice either, for the act is literally in the name.

Flo can go to hell for all I care.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Anna Meares is missing from PCS for some reason(?) but Phil reviewed her palmares

From Wikipedia "During the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, she won a gold medal, and set a new world record in the Women's 500-metre time trial of 33.952 seconds. Meares had to beat a new Olympic record set just minutes previously by the reigning World Record holder, Yonghua Jiang of China. (See Cycling at the 2004 Summer Olympics)"

She said, "my race was two laps, and I did six victory laps"

Duh!!! It's cuz she was a Trackie, and PCS doesn't cover that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I thought the same. His race craft is so good he even times posting up to perfection. Gonna be tough for anyone to take the jersey from him if he keeps riding that strong.

EF riding aggressively again today with Jardi "Industries" van der Lee in the break.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinn "Richard" Simmons making the peloton sweat there for a minute.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jan 17, 24 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Quinn "Richard" Simmons making the peloton sweat there for a minute.

Really set up Raging Toro because I think the field was a little gassed from running him down. He also didn't get any help from his breakaway partner, who was, I think, properly gassed, not playing games. Though probably never again will Toro get the 15 seconds of relative indecision he got this time. Once you've kilo'd a field, they tend to never forget it.

I was a little surprised that Jayco didn't give Plapp the green light to work with Narvaez. Maybe if Ewan were in top shape you call Plapp back, but clearly Ewan isn't, and Plapp is in such great form, he had at least a chance of dropping Narvaez before the final sprint. So the end result was they hurt Ewan to the point he barely made it back to the peloton.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 17, 24 14:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure, it was a great setup from Sweat Simmons, and then counter from Raging Toro.

And totally agree on Navaez and Plappy*. Ewan's form looks a few stubbies short of a 6-pack right now. So even though Narvaez (who has earned the privilege of a nickname) wins that 2-up 99/100 times, would have been better to entertain the home crowd and go for it.

Can someone explain why Aussies are compelled to put "ie" or "ey" on the end of just about any name or thing that it'll work? Barbie Plappy, Jack-ey, and so on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They also put "o" on the end of a lot of names (ex: Gerro).

For my money, the kilo attack is the sweetest victory. The right combo of tactical nous and just rolling the dice, but you need the legs to pull it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was a little surprised that Jayco didn't give Plapp the green light to work with Narvaez.

Narvaez was 5th in the full-gas field sprint the day before, and Ewan made it over the hill with the front group. There's no way in hell Plapp gets the green light in that situation. He's never going to out sprint Narvaez, he wasn't going to drop him (he tried more than once) and give Narvaez the 10 second time bonus and he's going to be really, really hard to beat for the overall.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

Narvaez was 5th in the full-gas field sprint the day before, and Ewan made it over the hill with the front group. There's no way in hell Plapp gets the green light in that situation. He's never going to out sprint Narvaez, he wasn't going to drop him (he tried more than once) and give Narvaez the 10 second time bonus and he's going to be really, really hard to beat for the overall.

I think the calculation wasn't so much they didn't think Plapp could game a two-man break with Narvaez.

It was probably that Narvaez is a primary GC threat to Yates, and they didn't want Plapp helping Narvaez puts seconds into Yates even if Plapp were to win the stage. In the TdU just a few seconds really counts. I was expecting someone to call me out on this obvious reason they immediately shut Plapp down. :)

Edit: Oh you, did in the last phrase there.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 17, 24 16:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to quote the Wire's Clay Davis - sheeeeeeeeeit. you all are in mid season race analysis and nickname form.
it definitely helps to have such a ballsy and powerful move from a young gun (over the top of a junior world champ) for the race win.

simmons own nickname (and strava profile) is ricky bobby. we local Maryland Pro race fans know this because we took back his KOM on a 5 mile rolling slight downhill segment the morning of the race last Sept. Only this year's race was 6 seconds faster than our 4 rider TTT train. what Clay Davis said.
Though I'm not so sure about his politics, I'm rooting for him to rebound after being at the scene for Mader's crash. I respect his trip back to Tenn and winning that jersey as a response.

I'm clearly still suffering with case of the Januaries - I have nothing for a Narvaez nickname. Hopefully raging red bull toro (something gave him wings?), yates and Plapp can keep Narvaez off the top of the gc so I have time to hone my game. for now i'm just hoping to make the team as a (mostly loyal) domestique.

quick question - the Israel PT duo who finished 2nd/3rd looked like they might have had a better result if they reversed their order - Strong only barely edged him with a bike throw.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the Israel PT duo who finished 2nd/3rd looked like they might have had a better result if they reversed their order - Strong only barely edged him with a bike throw.

Strong is still a work in progress as he transitions into being a road sprinter (and he's going to be a good one) but Williams is a known quantity, and his role in a sprint is to do exactly what he did yesterday. Asking the sprinter to drag the 500 meter guy to the line does not bring Del Toro back, which is the only way they could have gotten a better result.

Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re right, it’s only fitting to stick with his self-appointed nickname of Ricky Bobby. And with you in his political leanings, yet appreciate his desire to get back to it. Moments like that sometimes lead to reevaluating beliefs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
I have nothing for a Narvaez nickname.

That's a legit tough one. Wikipedia has it as El Lagarto (the lizard), which is as good as anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to rush this one, it’s a long season and form is still building.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
fredericknorton wrote:

That's a legit tough one. Wikipedia has it as El Lagarto (the lizard), which is as good as anything.

Never Nervous Narvaez.

How many here remember Purvis Ellison?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jhonny B Goode

Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know its just the TdU, but Bora's leadout is sure looking pretty good now that they have the right Sam. Plappy looking a bit worse for the wear too.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never nervous PE helped sink Coach K's first final 4 team with dawkins/alarie (sp?)/bilas/amaker.
I think he was drafted by my beloved Wash Bullets (huge Unseld and Elvin Hayes fan), but think he was one of many Bullets busted draft picks.

I was lingering on that place in Portugal with the huge waves - Nazare.
something like Huge Wave Narvaez - def a work in progress, cuz you know, the Januaries.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
I know its just the TdU, but Bora's leadout is sure looking pretty good now that they have the right Sam.

Danny Van Poppel has been evolving into a rock solid final guy. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a bit of a mentorship thing with Morkov at one point when he decided to commit to being really good at leadouts. Obviously that's the right guy to learn from.

Re: Narvaez.... Jhonny Narvzville? Not that he's a Jackass, but I'm not sure "the lizard" is a desirable nickname either. Maybe there's a different connotation in latin america.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh I like that.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to good ol Kenny - you got to know when to fold em. I clearly don't know this bc Narvxville is good.

on the dog walk, I was thinking Narvelous (Narvaez Hagler). What Kenny said - I need to know when to walk away (run)...
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
trail wrote:
fredericknorton wrote:

Never Nervous Narvaez.

"True! — nervous — very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?"

Opening words of "A Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe

Not a nickname candidate - I just love Poe

Carry on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely a contender.

@fredericknorton - was also trying to riff on Nazare, like Big Wave Vaez.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jan 18, 24 9:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next