Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
I understand the argument -- supported by Wout himself -- that cutting back on cx will help Wout's efforts on the road, but...
What if cx isn't the problem, his team is? Wouldn't Wout's goals be better served on a team without infinite grand tour ambitions?

His spring season team has been super strong so not sure what you mean by that - what do you think his one day racing team needs?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
His spring season team has been super strong so not sure what you mean by that - what do you think his one day racing team needs?

Yeah, van Baller, Lasporty, Benoot, Tratnik, and Kooij probably make up the premier one-day supporting cast in the World Tour right now. Last year they just got rolled a few times by other-wordly efforts from Pog and MdVP.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
I'm coaching from the arm chair here, but he was "on" too much last year and had a bit of bad luck at times in his targeted races. This is the year of WvA taking some Monuments. I'll see how this one ages! ;)

Me, even though I'm not a big WVA fan, I'd love to see him win either P-R or Flanders.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yeah, van Baller, Lasporty, Benoot, Tratnik, and Kooij probably make up the premier one-day supporting cast in the World Tour right now. Last year they just got rolled a few times by other-wordly efforts from Pog and MdVP.

Easy to forget that Laporte is right there with WvA fighting for the win at PR if he doesn't have terrible luck.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
LuisDF wrote:

+1
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I do feel like the TdF is making TTs important again though. The course this year has two, one of which may make for a decisive final day.

More TTing than last year, but there are still only just under 60k of TT miles in this year's TDF. Compare that with, for example, the Armstrong era; in 2000 there were 145kms of TTing. 168 in 2001. Both years had single TTs that were themselves right around that 60km mark, plus a TTT. That is a discipline that the TDF has clearly decided they want no part of anymore, unfortunately.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now MJ.

But your point makes what Pog did at Flanders all the more impressive; JV could have had 25 guys that day and they’d still have gotten rolled. MvdP was on a similar level at Worlds—nobody was going to stop him.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And now MJ.

But your point makes what Pog did at Flanders all the more impressive; JV could have had 25 guys that day and they’d still have gotten rolled. MvdP was on a similar level at Worlds—nobody was going to stop him.

mvpd if you watch careful ALWAYS save his best effort for the right moment - Even Chris Horner in his show has said this multiple time. Not taking a pull here and there, hiding in the climbs here and there so when he attacks he usually has the fresher legs.

Pogi MSR and flanders was trully on another level - attack after attack until he broke the competition (close in MSR and of course he won flanders)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still get chills every time I watch that. Bring on the Spring.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultimate strongman performance
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And now MJ.

MJ?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
And now MJ.

MJ?

Jorgensen.

Also, looks like Aussie Road Nats (which is often quite an entertaining race) looks to be the first casualty of the demise of GCN. Not that I'd watch it live anyway, but if, say, I wanted to watch a replay I don't think there's a legit way to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wout to race one more CX and then call it a day for the CX season - Interesting...

he didn't look happy after his last third place so perhaps something is not going the way he wanted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
Wout to race one more CX and then call it a day for the CX season - Interesting...

he didn't look happy after his last third place so perhaps something is not going the way he wanted.

Too bad that the Big 3 (2.5?) will not have any satisfying final battle.

Though quietly lost in the MdVP death star ray that makes everyone look slow is that 22 y.o. Pim Ronhaar is slowly becoming very, very good at CX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's been good to see Ronhaar and Nieuwenhuis really rise to the fore this cx season, adding some extra competition into the mix of usual suspects. It's somewhat made up MvdP's dominance.

And as someone mentioned earlier, the women's field has been really competitive with a resurgent Alvarado and a dangerous Brand adding the the expected Puck and Fem show. Also looks to be some good young talent on the come-up too which should bode well for the coming years.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New year, same Mathieu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
New year, same Mathieu.

I hope the nose from the women's race is OK! The face-plant is one of least fun ways to fall off your bike.

Yeah at this point with Mathieu it's just the suspense of trying to predict which course feature he's going to use for his orbital nuke. I predicted the right one this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scary fall. Especially after separating her shoulder over the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the body part you want to land on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I can relate (the Ti hardware in my mouth costs more than my Ti Hampsten/Bingham frame).

At this rate, Pieterse could probably pop a manual on her way to defending her driekleur.

Also, what happened to del Carmen at Gullegem? Trailing riders she really should be leading before DNF.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, what happened to del Carmen at Gullegem? Trailing riders she really should be leading before DNF.

back problems. not uncommon at end of kerstperiode

Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back problems bad enough to DNS Zonhoven. What does the overall World Cup look like now?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that nose f'ed...

I feel bad for her cause she was having a solid season after the shoulder issue.

Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:

And as someone mentioned earlier, the women's field has been really competitive with a resurgent Alvarado and a dangerous Brand adding the the expected Puck and Fem show. Also looks to be some good young talent on the come-up too which should bode well for the coming years.

oh man, spoke too soon!
lucinda out with a broken nose (i think?)
ceylin out with back pain
fem out for 2 weeks of recovery/training in spain
vos now out (again!) with covid
shirin out with broken ribs

it's a long season, for sure, and a few other girls also seem to be getting fried too. rochette cancelled some races to return to canada at christmas to recover. hope we get everyone healthy and firing for world's!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next