Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a side note: It would really suck to be Kristin Armstrong.

Not this one.

but THIS Kristin Armstrong

No relations to Lance in anyway - just happens to have the same name.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classy.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...she neglected herself during the marriage? she was married to a renown cyclist and had 3 kids, i would hardly expect it to be about her. things didn't work out becuase they didn't work out. hell, most people get divorced, i just don't get "the story" behind it."

As I see it, the "story" (as Oprah showed it) was a warning to all other people in the same situation of 'getting married and thinking it's a fairy tale'... I believe that Kristin Armstrong was simply a tie-in to the show's theme. I walked in 7 minutes after the show began - and only saw the last 3 minutes of the interview. It was only a 10-min segment! That means that Kristin was the 'opener' but she wasn't the main feature: it wasn't about Kristin (or Lance), it was about the subject of 'illusion of marraige'.

That being said, I don't think marriage HAS to come with an illusion as a pre-requisite. Kristin herself thought she would be married and everything would be happily-ever-after. It doesn't happen with jobs, friends, OR marriages: all of these need constant attention.

Here's something that the show didn't have mentione: often Dallas men (sorry, TX men who are reading) tend to objectify women, not see them as equal humans with equal feelings. I say that from experience, after knowing and spending time with them for years. While I can't say that for CERTAINTY about Lance, I can say that for almost certainty about Kristin: the Dallas women expect this treatment. Objectification may be nice during courtship, but afterwards he may move on to pursue his own interests. I saw this quite often, even with Dallas people I knew.

That being said, I also admit that Dallas men creeped me out for this very reason - they mostly ignored me - and I'm hard to ignore!

Dallas/southern women especially are taught to "support their man", and that's not what the men are taught (to support the women). The men are taught to 'worship' their women (this is where the objectification can come in)-- but there's not necessarily respect or HUMANIZATION or COMPASSION in 'worship'.

I didn't know a thing about Kristin having an affair... news to me.

So --to sum up-- I think that Kristin may continue to make money off her experiences. She may become a role model for many women who feel they "lost themselves" in marriage - but as Kittycat said, having 3 kids and married to a sports star who has a busy international schedule, a foundation to sponsor, book deals, commercial shoots, etc -- ain't no wonder that Kristin was "stuck" watching the kids.

Well, duh on Kristin. If I polled the women on ST with kids they'd say that they are more often at home with them than their spouses. Ask any woman with kids with a husband with an INTERNATIONAL job and they'd say the same thing. Ask a spouse of an elite athlete and the same will be said.

That's some tough life, also -- but other couples have done it. they made it a combined vision and purpose.

"Marraige" isn't the problem, like many people [in many places] have said. A 'bad relationship INSIDE the marriage license' is the problem. 'Illusions about marriage' are the problem. 'Spouses taking their [human] spouses for granted' is the problem.

It's funny: marraige is a RELATIONSHIP.... it USED to be a 'contract' whereby men used to "purchase" a woman (for goats, etc, supplied to her parents). In medieval times, a woman was the bargaining chip between families and countries; there was no relationship. The husband took lovers and sometimes the wives did also: that's where 'romance' took shape, in wooing your secret lover.

Now-- the idea of marraige SHOULD be about finding someone with whom you are able to communicate, function, love, and create a shared life: RELATIONSHIP. Unfortunately (and this was Oprah's point), it's more about people 'who want to be married' just to be married. It's about owning another person, even if it's a wife who wants to say "my husband". That's still ownership! Young girls are finding that there is a real relationship past the 'wedding day' -- I'm amazed how many people never consider 'after the wedding'. They make a huge deal about the wedding and not about the relating.

In my humble opinion (and I wasn't there), Lance bought a trophy wife (as is the Dallas custom) -- and it took Kristin a long time to realize she had her own feelings.

My 2c,
Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Anyway, I go back to my original question....why is it always assumed that the woman is wronged?

clm[/reply]

From the evidence I have been able to dig up, the answer would be "Men are pigs". Not very anecdotal, but that is what all the chicks say around this office.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand her motivations for seeking out publicity

ah to sell books of course. Oprah will do for her just like ST whenever the L word or Demerly are in the caption it gets a gajillion hits
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amen, sista. you just saved me a lot of typing. I prefer to call it the "conspiracy of marriage" many girls from a young age are fed the b.s. that the knight in shining armor will swoop down to make their life perfect, rather than teaching them to make their own lives perfect.

so many women (i'm guessing as a general rule kickass confident tri girls might not fit into this category) see marriage as validation -- and childbearing as well: My life won't be complete until I'm married & have kids. Though both can be wonderful experiences if you choose them for the right reason.

that's the point Oprah was trying to make, not trying to dish on Lance.

She was the brilliant one, startin the show with Kristin, knowing loads of folks would tune in hoping to hear the dirt. I think it worked.
Last edited by: cindyloohoo: May 10, 06 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You lost me at "objectification."
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprise, surprise, surprise.....
Publisher: Warner Faith (January 3, 2007) Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
Happily Ever After : Walking with Peace and Courage Through a Year of Divorce (Hardcover)
by Kristin Armstrong

No F-****** way!!! Now I am ready to hurl ... Ahhh, Christians ...
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From the evidence I have been able to dig up, the answer would be "Men are pigs". Not very anecdotal, but that is what all the bitches say around this office.
Fixed your post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so many women (i'm guessing as a general rule kickass confident tri girls might not fit into this category) see marriage as validation -- and childbearing as well: My life won't be complete until I'm married & have kids. Though both can be wonderful experiences if you choose them for the right reason."

There is truth to this that many don't see. You can call it "the glass ceiling" or "sexism" or whatever you want. I'm not even a feminist...

My point is: that in many cases, being a woman doing things is often tough-- and it feels like a relief [in some cases] to 'hope' there's that white knight to solve all the problems. Some women (southern ones) are even taught that from birth.

I think you are right about Oprah's strategy (on using Kristin for audience-bait): she was QUITE outspoken about her views on marriage, on marriage for her (NOT!), and about how women shouldn't buy into the myth until they understand the reality.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Happily Ever After : Walking with Peace and Courage Through a Year of Divorce (Hardcover) by Kristin Armstrong"
"No F-****** way!!! Now I am ready to hurl ... Ahhh, Christians ..."

Kristin was REALLY obvious about 'my faith is now important to me'. She wore a HUGE cross on her low-cut shirt. Hmm. Let me translate this because *I* went through this:

'I want someone to love me because I am so lonely I feel unloved. Oh! Pastor! You say that God will love me? You say that there is hope that God won't let me down like my husband did?..."

...and discussion ensues whereby the pastor tries to get her to be overt with her faith so she can lead people to her Christian principles through her steadfast faith during this awful divorce... and perhaps lead Lance to the same thing.

This will be a big seller in the multimillion dollar Christian marketplace. All women will feel like they have someplace to turn (*sniff*). YET... the very values that the Christians espouse do not jibe with the 'losing myself' speech she gave Oprah: Christian women are REQUESTED to stand by their man as helpmate, just the thing Kristin actually did, but now laments on TV.

Hmmm.
the pastor might be upset.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You lost me at "objectification." "

Really? I'm quite gullible when someone asks a question, so I'll take this as a serious query.

It means 'treating someone as an object'. Many people treat others as objects to do what he/she will: some women treat men as playthings, money-pots, meal-tickets; men may treat women as playthings, trophies, sperm-donors...

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, no snub intended at Run-Tex (good store) or anyone else in Austin for that matter. What irritates me immensely is the smug, holier than thou, "Jesus is my savior cuz my life is so hard" attitude that comes across in her articles. Does she even have a job, I wonder ?

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Christian women are REQUESTED to stand by their man as helpmate

Someone has been twisting what the bible really says about women.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey - kristin armstrong of tmobile is a friend of mine - and it certainly doesn't suck to be her. she's an amazing athlete and a very cool person!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
hey - kristin armstrong of tmobile is a friend of mine - and it certainly doesn't suck to be her. she's an amazing athlete and a very cool person!

I am sure she is a very cool person -- but I would bet she gets asked a lot....

"Did Lance cheat on you ?"

"Do you hate Cheryl Crow?"

"Why didn't you stand by your man Lance?"

"I'm sorry things didn't work out between you and Lance"

"Did Lance get you into cycling?"

etc. etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
**Christian women are REQUESTED to stand by their man as helpmate**

"Someone has been twisting what the bible really says about women"

Yes. I've read this /been told this COUNTLESS times. Countless.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you explained your earlier captions. Some people (like me) were confused about why it sucked to be the non LA connected Kristin.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [duathlete68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm glad you explained your earlier captions. Some people (like me) were confused about why it sucked to be the non LA connected Kristin.

Sorry - I should have explained better.

i have a friend named Mellissa Rivers -- No relation to Joan Rivers (this was before MR started going on TV with her Mom) - to make things worse she looked like Joan River's daughter and worked as a movie and TV set designer.

Anyway -- she would get so irritated with "I love your Mom" and "your Mom is so funny" etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O.K. I really want to do one reply to this. The "true" christian response to women is this from Ephesions. A man should treat his wife as Christ treated the church. In other words, though she may be a help mate in roles, A man should lay his life down for his wife as Christ layed his life down on the cross. And this should be done "First" before the women commits to him. To ensure she is loved, valued and will work together in mutual roles "Without" the women having to give up her dreams and desires. Sadly this is not always taught or practiced, but the truth is the man is supposed to give his life first before a women ever makes a decision. Kenney Pleaseon this forum I do not want to debate religion. Just that your post showed abuse from some called christians.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Ex-Wife On Oprah - Today [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just that your post showed abuse from some called christians."

Very politely put :) Thanks. You are a gentleman :)

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You made my day ! Thank You Kenney
Quote Reply

Prev Next